Start by marking “Friends: A Love Story” as Want to Read:
Friends: A Love Story

Friends: A Love Story

What if you met your future soul mate, but were too busy living in the here and now to realize you'd found "the one?"

That's what happened when Courtney B. Vance met Angela Bassett....

They ran for years as friends in the same small circles. They had some hits, but mostly misses with other partners, and they shared one spectacularly dreadful first date together. And then, Co
Published January 2nd 2009 by Kimani Press Single Title (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Friends

Deb
Mar 04, 2011 Deb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bassett and Vance tell their life stories, the book switches from one to the other at each chapter. Then after they meet and are married their narratives are combined. Their love story was interesting, as was the story of how they became parents (through a surrogate mother). Sometimes I felt like they were glossing over certain things and not going very deep (but of course that is their choice in how much of their personal stuff they want to share). It reads very conversationally and towards the ...more
Leah
Jan 12, 2008 Leah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love a good love story and you will love this one! I learned something in each chapter. This book inspired me to believe in my relationships. They really gave me motivation to keep praying for my prince and have strong faith.

Encouraging words from the book:

Surround yourself with like-minded people and take that world with you wherever you go.

Its a continuous daily struggle for us humans to walk the path of righteousness. We are imperfect and all fall short. when that happens, get on your knees
Monica
Dec 09, 2008 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book on the life of Angela and her actor husband Courtney Vance (The Preachers Wife). We see an account of each of them individually (childhoods, schooling, careers, individual personalities). Midway through book, the 2 meet, almost 3/4 of the book, they end of crossing paths again which starts the beginning of a relationship. There is a small portion accredited to their relationship but it's very good information on some struggles they had to overcome. Overall it's a good read, ...more
Claudette Alexander

I am a big fan of Angela Bassett and I’ve seen Vance before but his presence in movies do not leave any memorable on my brains. In this book they each took alternate turns talking about their childhood up to when the two met and later fell in love.

I like love stories and found this two endearing. The two went through a series of failed relationships then they took stock, reflected on what their needs were and tried to improve themselves before embarking on another failed relationship. During the
RYCJ
Jan 10, 2010 RYCJ rated it it was amazing
The choppy writing worked `like' magic, but what seals the love part of this story was when Angela was going on and on running her mouth, and Courtney was just sitting back trying to listen as he's also asking her to hold it down. Just too cute; especially when she couldn't `hold it down' and him sitting there thinking, `what do I have here!?!'... YET realizing this was the woman he wanted to marry! ...Exactly how true love works... `being yourself' and letting the chemistry (if it's present, wh ...more
India Celeste
Mar 09, 2013 India Celeste rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have ever read in my LIFE! Met Angela Bassett almost 3 years ago, and she is just as wonderful in person as her words came across in this book. Learned SO much from reading this and gained so much wisdom from it (being I was in my early 20s when I read it). Main things I learned were take a lot of time to be alone to develop your principles & learn what you are capable of/can tolerate and expect there to be times that you want to give up when it's rough but know you c ...more
Zakia
Nov 26, 2007 Zakia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Angela Bassett fans, those interested in acting, and black couples
It's a feel good read. The book it not particularly literary and neither of the authors, Courtney or Angela, have above average skills when it comes to writing. But it's okay that they're not great writers. As the story progresses you hear their individual voices and begin to get lost in the story rather than flowery language. So if you want to read an endearing true love story, learn about acting, and the lives of these two individuals, this is the book for you.
Yuri
Feb 13, 2015 Yuri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The relationship between Angela and Courtney is real. A man that will stop what he is doing, pull the car over, walk over to your side, kneel down, and ask you what is REALLY going on....just stops my heart!! Friendship -- understanding, respect, and communication -- these are the foundations of a TRUE love relationship.
Stephanie
Feb 10, 2014 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought and read this when it first came out. It's a really good memoir. She's always been one of my favorite actresses. I got to know Mr. Vance through the book. I had no idea she dated Charles S. Dutton, also a great actor and humanitarian. Courtney and Angela make such a good couple that now, I don't think of one without the other.
Kayceey Greer
Mar 01, 2008 Kayceey Greer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A historical account of the loves and lives of Angela Bassett and Courtney Vance. Very detailed dissection of male/female relationships. Candids of other AA thespians and their connection to Angela and Courtney.

The book really chronicles the triumphs and challenges within their relationship as they both learned how to deal with each other's needs.
Lisa
Jul 15, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"....the book walks you through the lives of Angela and Courtney's from birth until their marriage. Their childhood stories give us an understanding of their adult personalities. I did enjoy their love story...good read...for a Sunday afternoon. But don't expect a NY Times Bestseller story...just a leisure read."
Karen
Feb 02, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiography
I loved this story. I wish I had read it sooner. The advice they offer throughout their story is wonderful. Take it and apply it. I will! To God be the glory. I pray that he will continue to bless their relationship.
Ruth Palmer
Aug 25, 2012 Ruth Palmer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ruth by: Just bought it and read it
I really enjoyed reading this book of love. While reading it I feel happy that two people could find each other among the circle of friends they. It was their destiny to find each other. I enjoyed how they came together to write their story. This is a good story.
E. R.
Sep 11, 2010 E. R. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew that it was told to someone and that someone helped the couple write the book. I do like the separate chapters so that the couple can each tell their POV as their love story was told. I was so happy for the couple for finding each other as well as creating a loving family.
Shannon *Eboni Scarlett* Holliday
I absolutely enjoyed reading this book. I appreciate the manner in which the stories were arranged. Every other chapter telling of a portion of Angela Basset and Courtney B. Vance's lives as individuals then giving a vividly colorful account of their shared life together.
Robin
I love this couple
Beverly
Oct 07, 2012 Beverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
an encouraging read for those who are afraid to tackle ivy league, the world of acting or love.....
Torri Carter
Mar 05, 2013 Torri Carter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!
Winter Sophia Rose
Realness, Warmth, Awareness & Growth! A Beautiful Love Story!
Natalie
Feb 20, 2016 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: so-raw-books
Great Book!!! much respect for Angela Bassett and Husband they work hard in there careers and personal lives
Tracy Lewis
Jan 07, 2008 Tracy Lewis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book about their lives. It was interesting about how they grew up and met and how they are doing now.
Kim
Aug 08, 2007 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the way the dual stories of Angela and Courtney combined into one, like their union...very sweet and uplifting. 4 stars despite the many typos.
Trifari
It's always interesting to hear about how two people came together.
Marci
Mar 27, 2016 Marci rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a real love story written about themselves as told by themselves
Cassandra
Aug 13, 2008 Cassandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a fantastic true autobiography about soul mates and blessings
Ifedayo
Jan 02, 2013 Ifedayo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I had no idea Angela Bassett went to Yale or that Courtney Vance was the name of the actor from Law and Order. Sweet love story. Glad they found each other.
Elyse Smith
It was a LONG but very interesting book about a friendship that grew into love.
Hillary
i was surprised by how much i enjoyed the book, right mood/right time sort of thing. there are some spiritual overtones to their story that i overlooked because i think what kept me attracted to the narrative of their story was how well it was told in coordination with their writing partner. very well structured, yet Basssett and Vance's voices were still very much on display.
Ebony
Oct 22, 2012 Ebony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story about friends who decided, after years of friendship and unsuccessful relationships, that they were what each other had been looking for all along.

I think this is an uplifting story that can inspire those searching for meaningful relationships to be open to all possibilities. Who knows...their future mate may be right in front of them.
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Never Make the Same Mistake Twice: Lessons on Love and Life Learned the Hard Way
  • Life Is Not a Fairy Tale
  • Redneck Woman:  Stories from My Life
  • The Bond: Three Young Men Learn to Forgive and Reconnect with Their Fathers
  • Dating Games
  • A Second Helping
  • Killing Willis: From Diff'rent Strokes to the Mean Streets to the Life I Always Wanted
  • A Hand to Guide Me