Start by marking “The Life and Times of Pancho Villa” as Want to Read:
The Life and Times of Pancho Villa

The Life and Times of Pancho Villa

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Alongside Moctezuma and Benito Juárez, Pancho Villa is probably the best-known figure in Mexican history. Villa legends pervade not only Mexico but the United States and beyond, existing not only in the popular mind and tradition but in ballads and movies. There are legends of Villa the Robin Hood, Villa the womanizer, and Villa as the only foreigner who has attacked the m ...more
Published October 1st 1998 by Stanford University Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Life and Times of Pancho Villa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Life and Times of Pancho Villa

Wicked by Gregory MaguireLife of Pi by Yann MartelAtonement by Ian McEwanOne Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezAnna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Abandoned Books
353rd out of 894 books — 1,354 voters

More lists with this book...

Nomad
I was in Ciudad Chihuahua and visited the Pancho Villa Museum. I was struck how many mexicans were there and how quiet and reverent they were at the museum. I thought to my self that I must learn more about this man. I took on a big task of reading this huge book. It was worth it I learned a lot about Pancho Villa and much about "The Revolucion". I was also surprised(as always when reading Mexican history) how much the United States history is intertwined with Mexico...nomad
Duncan Wright
The absolute definitive work on Villa, a fascinating character and central player of the Mexican revolution. Tremendous accomplishment by a highly distinguished historian.

Milo
A deep, and I mean deep, study of the Mexico revolution of the 1911-1913 era and one of its important leaders/legends. This book tries to separate the legend from the fact by going deep into a huge number of historical documents and interviews with some of the best historians out there.
Not an easy read at over 1,100 pages. You want to know about Villa? Read this.
Ok, the truth be known after 300 pages of extreme detail I went to the last 30 or so pages of "conclusion: in order to finish the b
Dax
I first picked this book up because my family comes from an area Pancho operated in, not expecting much. It turned into a fun read, one of those reality is way better than fiction deals. All sorts of great stuff like Pancho's right hand man shooting a random guy in the street to settle a bet that a shot man falls forward, or a discussion of what great soldiers children make, as they are oblivious to the dangers of the battlefield and don't eat much. If only they didn't waste so many bullets...
Heribert Von Feilitzsch
Friedrich Katz was one of the great historians on the Mexican Revolution. His whole professional life was dedicated to illuminate the facts of this first social revolution of the 20th century. The culmination of his life work is this book. Brilliantly researched, incredibly detailed, and complete. If you want to get to know Pancho Villa, here is the book to read. Keep in mind that Katz has a distinct ideology underlying his historical work. He selects where the story is going.
Linda
This was my most ambitious reading project since James Joyce's Ulysses. I can't imagine there will ever be a more definitive, comprehensive account of Pancho Villa's life and the role he played in the Mexican Revolution. This book is well-researched and well-written and, ultimately, well worth the effort to read its nearly 1000 pages. It left me with a much deeper understanding of Mexican history and how that influenced events here in the United States.
Tuck
This is all you ever wanted to know about pancho villa. and mexican social, political history. its well written and exciting in parts, but at 925 pages it will crush your chest if you are lying down reading. In 2008 many of the reforms made because of Villa's revolution are being turned back, as big global agriculture is taking over mexican small holders.
Laura LeAnn
Katz is the premier historian of Pancho Villa and the Mexican Revolution period. This book was another of the many read for completing my Masters thesis. My focus was on the period of the attack on Columbus, New Mexico and the subsequent Punitive Expedition by the US Army. An extreme amount of information in an approachable book.
Matthew
A thorough and balanced account of the life and times of Pancho Villa.
I found this book to be very informative and interesting.

Reccomended reading for anyone who is interested in Latin American history or the Mexican Revolution.
Stephen Jones
At a cat-squashing 900 + pages, Katz' biography weighs in as the definitive study of Villa and in a broader context, the Mexican Revolution. Katz leaves few leads unexplored in his attempt to separate fact from legend. Purely sweeping!
John Brooke
Nov 21, 2012 John Brooke rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to John by: Gene Massareli
Shelves: reportage
Tremendos researh tool. Every personal detail of that lustful hero at the center of Mexico's most turbulent times. An insigntful look into the character of a strong and guilful character.
Katie
This is quite the tome. It is a feat to take on but incredibly thorough, detailed look at not just Pancho Villa but the Mexican Revolution.
JB
Seriously, I read this 5 years ago, it was 800 pages, I deserve Good Reads credit. It was really detailed, very long and interesting.
Arlene
In no way did I finish this book merely skimmed it to get a clearer picture of this legend.
Sal
a great work on a key figure of the mexican revolution.
Kris
Aug 02, 2007 Kris rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: heavy sleepers
BORING
Sergio
Sergio marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Randy
Randy marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Agata Andrzejewska
Agata Andrzejewska marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
John L
John L marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Gwen
Gwen is currently reading it
Oct 30, 2014
Mario García
Mario García marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Ortizg
Ortizg marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Carmen
Carmen added it
Sep 30, 2014
Xhail Balam
Xhail Balam marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Earl
Earl marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Gunnard Bulinckx
Gunnard Bulinckx marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
C. Friedrich Katz was an Austrian-born anthropologist and historian specialized in 19th and 20th century history of Latin America; particularly, in the Mexican Revolution.
More about Friedrich Katz...
La guerra secreta en Mexico Pancho Villa (volumen 1) Pancho Villa (volumen 2) De Diaz a Madero / From Diaz to Madero: Origenes Y Estallidos De La Revolucion Mexicana / Origins and Outbreaks of the Mexican Revolution (Problemas De Mexico / Problems of Mexico) Ancient American Civilizations