Jade Island

Jade Island (Donovan #2)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  2,761 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Wild and restless, Kyle Donovan has freed himself from the constraints of his family's high-powered gem-trading empire to rove the world as a treasure hunter. Now the president of Donovan International has given Kyle an assignment with explosive ramifications. A case he must take. When one of China's legendary cultural treasures is stolen, Lianne Blakely, a mysterious and...more
Published January 8th 2002 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published September 1st 1998)

Free Fall
I started reading Elizabeth Lowell's books, mainly because I was interested in jewels. Face it, how many girls don't like pretty stones?

Then I realized that every single one of them is the same: a stubborn woman who needs to be protected, some macho man that can't keep his hands off her (and that is extremely unprofessional for any bodyguard), and some sort of jewel that lots of people want and are willing to kill for?

Read one book and you've read them all. Good for summer reading - sort of like...more
Marleen
Jade Island is the second in Elizabeth Lowell’s gem series. I remember absolutely enjoying most parts of the first one called Pearl Cove, featuring Hannah McGarry and Archer Donovan. The backdrop and suspense was better in Pearl Cove than here in Jade Island, where we encounter another of the Donovan brothers, Kyle - more wild and reckless than his older brother Archer.
Kyle Donovan has freed himself from the constraints of his family's high-powered gem-trading empire to rove the world as a trea...more
Anita Truong

While I liked Jade Island and its characters a bit better than I liked the first book, this one isn't without some flaws that I couldn't overlook. Writing style is smooth and detailed, but the narrative did a bit of unnecessary meandering. There were at least two or three scenes in the book that made me wish we could just move on with the story since the present subject didn't mean anything to me, nor did it add to the main conflict.

Again, like the first book, I mainly love the interact...more
Stephanie Bolen
I love all the research--not only into Jade but into Chinese culture. I'm glad Kyle got to be the hero. I was so-so about Lianne I wish she would have stuck up for herself.
Kate
The romance in this book, and this series, is much richer than in most romantic suspense stories. Mystery and suspicion invokes the plot for these players in the world of art. Some priceless jade pieces belonging to a wealthy Chinese man go missing, and the prime suspect is his illegitimate biracial daughter, who has grown up bearing the brunt of her parents' illicit behavior.

The bias does not seem too heavy in relativity to other romance novels, because Lianne inhabits the world of the wealthy...more
Nath
~Leslie~
3.5 stars #2 in the Donovan Consulting series and I really liked it but there are a couple of things that kept it from being 4 stars. Lianne is the illegitimate daughter of a Chinese/American businessman and has never been acknowledged. She is a jade expert and hopes to win acceptance from his family through assisting them with jade trades with another company. Little does she know that she has been targeted to be the fall guy in an international conspiracy involving China and a centuries old ja...more
Angela
The second of Elizabeth Lowell's Donovans series, Jade Island, continues the adventures of the jewel-loving Donovan family. This time around the camera's on brother Kyle, the brother who'd gone missing in Amber Beach and who now gets his own time in the spotlight. He's being eyed by the powerful Tang family as their way in to doing business with the Donovans--and the Tangs intend to have their unacknowledged relation Lianne Blakely try to seduce Kyle to get their in to the Donovans assured. Mean...more
Melbourne on my mind
Once again, I managed to inadvertently pick up a romance book, thinking it was a crime/suspense type of a deal. Clearly, I need to get better at reading the blurbs! Or, in this case, reading between the lines of the blurbs - apparently "on an island surrounded by sharks" wasn't meant to be interpreted literally!!

It was pretty much what you'd expect from a trashy romantic suspense book. There's a stubborn girl who ends up getting in over her head, and she has to be saved by this super-strong guy...more
I needed some light, fun, sexy summer reading, and this series is definitely fitting the bill. Just finished this second one, and while the formula made this one a bit predictable, I am thoroughly enjoying the misadventures of the Donovan clan. Detailed descriptions of the history and cultural significance of the gems (amber in the first novel, jade in this one) add an interesting dimension to each story. I have to say I am also particularly enjoying her descriptions of the Pacific Northwest and...more
Trisha Doucet
This book was a good, quick read. Mind candy is what I like to call it. This one had a little more to it. I liked the history lesson on Jade. The sex parts didn't make me cringe too much. And they were spaced nicely. I thought this was a good book.
Bluecreek
This is my favorite IR novel featuring an mixed White/Asian woman. Often with such novels, the heroine's race is just used as a quick description to make her appear more "exotic". However, this novel does a superlative job of making her background an integral part of the story both from the angle of being seen as Asian in a white society, but even more as being seen as "white" within her Asian family. The action is suspenseful, the characters multidimensional, and the romance very well developed...more
Cathi95
(Mystery 1998) Second in a series (Amber Beach is the first) about the Donavan family. I have not read the first. Kyle Donavan uses his manly ways to help Lianne Blakely, illegitimate daughter of Son #4 of the Tang family, who has been set up for stealing jade from her grandfather, leader of the Tangs. The story is somewhat predictable but still enjoyable, although the testosterone does get almost overwhelming at times. I appreciated the education in the use of jade in China, its relevance, and...more
Drucilla
This sequel is defintely better than the original mostly because stuff actually happens. The story and the background are great. The reader learns about the detailed relationships within Chinese society and they actually learn about the stone that is in the title. Lianne's relationship with the Chinese part of her family may seem odd to American readers, but it pays off in the end. The Donovan family comes off looking better than they did in Amber Beach, although I have to admit that the chemist...more
Barbara
3.8 :-) Putting four because this series as a whole is definitely a four. Enjoyed learning a lot about jade. (Actually, probably more than I wanted to know.)
Christina M Demmon
Not enough plot

The plot was weak I was not sure how everybody fit in and it was not very believable. I have read lots of good books by Ms Lowell this was not her best.
Farshana Sihab
pretty decent romantic suspense even thou no mystery involved in the story line!
Babe
Apr 08, 2014 Babe rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone loves a good mystery and lots of action, and family stuff
Recommended to Babe by: I found it in a used bookstore
Really Liked this book...want more on Jake and Honor, and the Donovans.
Maksima
Apr 01, 2014 Maksima rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: donovans
Another great book! love this family !!
Melissa McHugh
This was my first Elizabeth Lowell book, historical or contemporary, and it remains my favorite. Lianne and Kyle were fun to read, the jade market was intriguing and the different characters that make up the story were fascinating. I particularly loved the Chinese vs. American family dynamic. I read this before reading Amber Beach, before understanding why Kyle's character had changed, but that doesn't detract. Lianne is wonderful, and my favorite Lowell heroine. I reread this book often.
Linda
This book is very typical of Elizabeth Lowell's Donovan family books - a young woman in need of protection, a Donovan family male (in this case Kyle) who signs on to protect her and prove her innocence, a lot of steamy bedroom scenes, and a lesson in Chinese jewels (in this case jade). This will be the last Lowell book I will read for a while as they have all become way too predictable.
Artha
This book was much better than book one. It had a good plot, good characters, the story flowed, she did not feel like she had to pound a particular point into page after page, however right when the romance starts flowing in this book and her last book she makes the woman get this attitude that it's over before it started. Hopefully she loses that in book three. Not a bad read.
Crystal Woehrle-Logan
The purple of the cover is not justified in any way by the story's plot. ;) Other than that, good read. A lot more focus on romance than its prequel, Amber Beach. I very much enjoy how these novels, my first foray into reading Elizabeth Lowell, are more about the mystery/thriller and the focus on the precious commodity of choice than about getting the hero and heroine together.
Janet
While this is not a literary masterpiece, it is a well written story that keeps one reading. Lowell's ability to write tension between a male and female is outstanding, her writing of repartee is super. The focus of this title is jade and one learns some basic concepts about Chinese jades as well as the difference between some Chinese and western cultural points of view.
Cynthia
I think I liked this book so much when I first read it because the lead is Asian. Hundreds of romance novels later, it's still the only Asian lead in a romance I've ever seen. The characters are sharp and amusing. It's one fourth romance, one fourth drama/mystery/action, one half "Everything you never knew about Jade...and don't really need to know"
Therese
This book always makes me hungry, especially in this one scene when the two main characters first interact and are munching on some appetizers from this Asian Fusion restaurant. I keep thinking, "Man that sounds so good." It was interesting to read about the Asian culture from an outsider's point of view.
Kelly
this is a reread from years ago.. I love it.. I had to admit that this is a my guilty pleasure. It had a pretty good story that kept moving and a really great romance. Who wouldn't want Kyle to fall in love with them? Love Leanne!! Total BA. I know I know.. back to the Spooky "Historian"
Paige Turner
i accidentally read the third book of this four book series first. now i feel like i need to read the third one (pearl cove) again now that i know the back story and other characters better. i now check to make sure i am reading books in the order the author intended. lol
Kathi Sharp
Another winner from Elizabeth Lowell. Lianne and Kyle are not my favorite characters by Elizabeth Lowell but I would be happy to have them return in the next book in the series.
Janelle
Hilarious. Not your average romance novel.

Fishing jokes with double entendres (sp?) about playing with rods, and all men must continuously remind themselves not to think with their dicks and to not be "dick-brained." I can't wait to read the next in the series.
  • The Diamond Tiger
  • Deep Waters
  • Kill and Tell (CIA Spies, #1)
  • Crazy Kisses (Steele Street, #4)
  • Don't Cry for Me
  • Out of Sight (T-FLAC, #5)
  • Mercy (Buchanan-Renard, #2)
  • Flashpoint (Troubleshooters, #7)
19051
Individually and with co-author/husband Evan, Ann Maxwell has written over 60 novels and one non-fiction book. There are 30 million copies of these books in print, as well as reprints in 30 foreign languages. The novels range from science fiction to historical fiction, from romance to mystery to suspense.

In 1982, Ann began publishing as Elizabeth Lowell. Under that name she has received numerous p...more
More about Elizabeth Lowell...
Untamed (Medieval, #1) Amber Beach (Donovan, #1) Die in Plain Sight (Rarities Unlimited, #3) Enchanted (Medieval, #3) Pearl Cove (Donovan, #3)