Start by marking “Soul of a Highlander” as Want to Read:
Soul of a Highlander

Soul of a Highlander (Daughters of the Glen #3)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  1,650 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Nine years ago, Faerie Magic saved Mairi MacKiernan at the cost of her dreams of happiness, snatching her from her life in 1272, and depositing her in the twenty-first century. Now, she must save the last Daughter of the MacKiernan family...who was murdered in 1295. Transported back in time at her request, Mairi finds herself captured by the same evil men as before! Is thi...more
Published June 30th 2009 by Pocket Books (first published May 20th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Soul of a Highlander, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soul of a Highlander

Julie (jjmachshev)
Book release: June 2008

What woman hasn’t ever dreamed of a handsome highland lover who sweeps her off her feet? Why are so many of us so fascinated with these brawny heroes? I don’t know, and I really don’t care, but I sure love to read about them! “Soul of a Highlander” is the third offering in Ms. Mayhue’s magical Highland series, preceded by “Thirty Nights with a Highland Husband” and “Highland Guardian”. This series features 13th century hunky Scots (and Scottesses!), modern women, magic, an...more
Jetches  (My Not So Vacant Shelf)
Finally back to olden day Scotland! And with familiar characters no less! I was always curious about how Mairi ended up turning out, and what happened to her the night she was brought to ‘present day’ time. But then she believes she has to go back. To save her family’s female line even though she’s not suppose to change the past. As a girl that is ‘out of place’ she believes that she belongs nowhere and has no clue what to do with her future. Then comes Ramos back to the past to save her. I abso...more
Karen Docter
Third in Melissa Mayhue's Daughters of the Glen series, Soul of a Highlander follows the story of two wonderful characters first introduced in Thirty Nights with a Highland Husband [June 2007] and Highland Guardian [October 2007].

After being introduced to Ramos in Mayhue's last novel, I could hardly wait to get my hands on Soul of a Highlander. He's every bit as delicious as I'd hoped yet conflicted as well by the guilt that resets him on his path of atonement. Mairi doesn't realize her path int...more
Tina
3.5 stars is more accurate a rating for this 3rd installment of "The Daughters of The Glen" series. I adored the first book, I really liked the second and I liked this one too but it just wasn't as good... I didn't quite feel the connection to the hero & heroine in this book like in the previous two?? There where other things that weren't quite as good as the previous two but I like to rate books on their own merit rather than comparing them to others... That's really hard to do when reading...more
Barb Lie
“Soul of the Highlander is the 3rd book in Melissa Mayhue’s Daughters of the Glen series. I really enjoyed this book.

Mairi MacKiernan's life already changed dramatically when she was saved from death and pulled forward in time with her brother, Connor. She's adjusted to modern life, but she has a strong need to fix what happen in the past, and to save her cousin Marsali.

Mairi confronts Pol and gains permission to travel back to the past to right a wrong. Mairi needs to get past her almost rape...more
Jilly
I wanted to read this book because I'd read the other two in the series and it seemed only right to know the end of the story though I suspect, after reading this book, that it won't be the end of the story after all.

Melissa Mayhue isn't new to me, as I said, I read her previous books in this series and while she isn't a bad writer I don't find her stories grabbing enough to really warrant my interest in the future.

I have to admit that the story of Mairi and Ramos was a bit more interesting that...more
Jenn
***NOTE MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS***

When Mairi MacKiernan researches the family she left behind in the thirteenth century only to learn that her beloved Aunt Rosalyn’s only daughter is killed before her time Mairi decides that she must go back and save the girl. Unfortunately her sister in law, the only one she knows with time travelling powers won’t help her because it’s forbidden to change the past. Unwilling to let things drop, Mairi goes to Pol’s Glenn determined to claim the birthri...more
Julie
After returning to this series after about 3 years, I realized I just really couldn't get into this book! I think I've outgrown my love for highlander romances. Ironically, my visit to Scotland two years ago sort of cured me! I could barely get through this one, which was so dull - apart from a few battles, nothing really happens! Mairie, our heroine, goes back in time to rescue her niece from the 13th century, who turns out to be a spoiled brat. Ramos Navarro, a newly made Guardian is ordered t...more
Jennifer Rayment
Feb 19, 2010 Jennifer Rayment rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of fiction involving fae, timetravel, highlanders, romance
Third story in the Daughters of the Glen series by Melissa Mayhue

I definitely liked this story much better than 1st book in series. The plot was more well developed and very smoothly written. This story was far more fast paced than the other novels in the series. Scenes flowed together nicely and the plot line kept you glued to the story. Her prose was beautifully scripted and once again you felt like you were there in the story.

The main and secondary characters were far more realistic and I enj...more
Elenariel
C'è ben poco da dire se non che questo volume chiude un primo ciclo di personaggi. La storia segue lo stesso identico schema dei due libri precedenti non lasciando spazio per alcuna sorpresa, stesso discorso per la tipologia dei personaggi: coprotagonista che finge di essere diversa da com'è come meccanismo di difesa, tradimento da parte di un insospettabile (si fa per dire!), risoluzione grazie al non intervento di un pentito dell'ultimo minuto. E per quanto i due protagonisti trovino alla fine...more
Mandy Beyers
The third book in the Daughters of the Glen series pulls together a character form the first book with a character from the second for a love story of their own. When Mairi MacKiernan was pulled out of her own time along with her brother, she felt that all chance for finding her true love was lost. When Ramos Servans discovered that his whole life had been a lie, and his father was the evil fae, rather than the good, he vowed to make amends by serving to protect the mortals his father hunted. Bu...more
Bronwyn Rykiert
It is nine years since Connor MacKiernan married his Cate and they came to modern day America along with his younger sister Mairi. Mairi is sure that because she was whisked from the 13th century to now she will never meet her true love. She has been doing some family research lately and it has led her believe that she needs to go back to the 13th century to save her cousin Sallie from death. So she travels back to Scotland and goes to the Fairy Glen and calls on her Fae ancestor Pol to help her...more
Amanda
Book #35 of 2009

Book #3 of the "Daughters of the Glen" series. This is what happens when you do nothing but read all day... you finish another book! This one was most definately connected to the previous two... There was much more than the occasional wandering characters milling about. (That is how I picture them, characters that wander to another book, popping in and say hello! Sorta like Inkheart) Secondary characters from both of the previous two books became main characters in the third. Als...more
Gypsie Holley
Again. I love this series. I wasn't sure about Ramos, especially his intro from last book but I love his character better than Ian's. Mairi, I had to refresh from the first book it had been awhile since I had read it. I knew I remembered the name. This was fabulous! Can I have him? Don't I ask that question often of these wonderful characters. This took us back to where the first book happened and we got to visit with all those characters all the while Mairi and Ramos fall in love. Excellent!

Be...more
Maria
Even though the story is well written the story sort of lacks bite. The good people are soooo good and the bad people isn´t all that evil. Everything is rather sweet.

I did choose the book because I am a big fan of KMM´s Highlander series but where in those books it gets really hot both in the action and between H/H, in Ms Mayhue´s books everything is rather mellow.
The heroine has a bit of strength though and there are some funny dialogue so it´s not a complete waste of time! I think it is a perf...more
Lisa
The third in the Daughters of the Glen Series focuses on Mairi MacKiernan, sister of Connor from book one, and one of my favorite character from book two, Ramos Navarro (Servans). Ramos' character is so downtrodden at the end of book two that I hoped he would be able to redeem himself. Ramos must go back to the past to find Mairi and fulfill his own destiny as Guardian. Mayhue creates a good story with some other interesting characters, including Rosalyn, Caden, Drew, and others from the 13th ce...more
m.allen
I loved that this book paired Mairi and Ramos together. I think they are perfect for each other. They are both sort of lost and looking for their place in the world. Ramos has just discovered that everything he knew about his family is a lie and has turned away from his father. Mairi has decided to go back to 1295 to save the last member of the MacKiernan family. When she doesn't return to the 21st century right away, Ramos is sent back in time to find her.
Evangeline
I really enjoyed this book. So far it's my favourite Melissa Mayhue book. I don't think anyone could say this book is predictable as I had no idea how it was all going to work out until the end. I think the author has an amazing talent for writing as i found this book very difficult to put down and couldnt wait to find out what happened next. Looking forward to reading the next book in this excellent series.
Celeste
This book was just okay to me. It is the only book in this series I have read and unfortunately, I don't think I will be rushing to the bookstore to buy the other two. Maybe if I had read them in order I would have enjoyed it more but I just wasn't feeling this author's writing style very much. Don't get me wrong, it was a good story, and was romantic at times, but it definitely wasn't a keeper, in my opinion!
Lori McD

Probably the best of the series so far, IMO! Loved Mairi and Ramos together - so happy that the two of them could find peace and love. Loved "going back" and seeing Rosalyn's family. Also got the treat of seeing all the pairs we've met so far - fantastic!

Really hooked on these books! Hoping that Duncan will get his "turn" as the Hero of one of the books soon.
Cindi
Sometimes you're just in the mood for a cheesy time travel book so you can sigh over the hunky Scotsman (or Spaniard/Fairy, in this case). This is an excellent series for that! Enough drama to get your heart rate up, enough good characters to keep you interested in the series, enough realistic/independent/stubborn women to root for. It was just enough!
Lavendersbluegreen
Third in the Daughter’s Of The Glen series, get ready to follow Mairi from the first book on an adventure back in time. She returns to her “own time…but 1295 is a far cry and yet not so much from 1272. Accompanied by Ramos from book 2 in her adventures… I cannot wait for the next book!
Karen
I'm putting this series aside for now. I started this one and just couldn't get into it. I'm tired with the kids home on school holidays so maybe I just wasn't in the mood and need something a little easy to read. Will give it another shot some time down the track.
Diana (DomesticGoddess)
This one is the best in the series so far. The plot line is good; once again time travel. I liked both MCs, especially Mairi from book 1, because she's smart and more spirited than the females in the previous books. Also, Ramos is verra, verra sexy. 'Nuff said.
Suzanne
Book 3 with Mairi from the first book and Ramos from the second. A time travel story again like the first one that I enjoy. I'm really liking this author, as the books grab and hold you and have good strong characters, male and female. Another fun read.
Denise
I think this one is my favorite of all of them so far. Mairi and Ramos are both "lost souls" - neither feeling comfortable with who and where they are. To me, it was obvious that they belonged together. I hope we see more of them in future books.
Kendra
Bk. 3, Mairi and Ramos. Ties in characters from the first and second book, and is a time-jump one. I'm thoroughly enjoying this author, as the books grab and hold you and have good strong characters, male and female. Another fun read.
Crystal
I'm really getting into this series now. The first was great, the 2nd threw me a bit but the third seems to get them both on the same track with a more rounded back story.

I'm glad I stuck with the series.

• Wedding the Highlander (Highlander, #3)
  • Highlander in Her Dreams (Highlander #2)
  • Sword of the Highlands (Highlands, #2)
  • Highland Rogue (Highland Dream, #4)
  • Highland Knight
  • Warrior of the Isles (Men of the Isles, #2)
  • Highlander's Challenge (Challenge, #1)
  • Highland Magic (Druid's Glen, #5)
  • Highlander Unmasked (MacLeods of Skye Trilogy, #2)
  • Return of the Highlander (Immortal Warriors, #1)
  • Dark Rival (Masters of Time, #2)
Melissa Mayhue lives in Colorado, in the shadow of the beautiful Rocky Mountains, with her family, two insanely spoiled dogs, one domineering cat, a turtle with an attitude, and way too many fish in their aquarium. If any one thing is obvious about the books I like best, it's that I love my Happy Ever After endings!!
More about Melissa Mayhue...
Thirty Nights with a Highland Husband (Daughters of the Glen, #1) A Highlander of Her Own (Daughters of the Glen, #4) Highland Guardian (Daughters of the Glen, #2) A Highlander's Homecoming (Daughters of the Glen, #6) Highlander's Curse (Daughters of the Glen, #8)