Start by marking “A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)

A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows #4)

4.28  ·  Rating Details ·  43,090 Ratings  ·  1,109 Reviews
The evil night things that prowl Cincinnati despise witch and bounty hunter Rachel Morgan. Her new reputation for the dark arts is turning human and undead heads alike with the intent to possess, bed, and kill her -- not necessarily in that order.

Now a mortal lover who abandoned Rachel has returned, haunted by his secret past. And there are those who covet what Nick posses
Published July 4th 2006 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published June 27th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Fistful of Charms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fistful of Charms

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Where to begin . . .

I've come to expect a certain kind of action-fueled, intricate, and well-crafted plot from Kim Harrison, and in A Fistful of Charms, the fourth installment of her The Hollows series, the breakneck pace and interconnectedness upheld all of my expectations.

But . . . yes, there's a but . . . the Rachel and Ivy nonsense came to a head, and as we all know, things that come to a head are wont to EXPLODE.

And explode it did. But I'll get to that later
Laz
Jul 25, 2015 Laz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: urban fantasy lovers

Undoubtedly the best book in the series, and by far the most action-packed one too. Mrs. Harrison has set the bar too high for me and unless the next book is just as good I will be a tad bit disappointed. This did the trick for me. If I didn't love the series before now I definitely do. The more this series progresses and I get to see and know more of the characters, the more
Anya
Apr 16, 2009 Anya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Where the hell is Trent Kalamack???

He is probably off getting his elf butt married to that cold-hearted lady of the previous installment, but still... Where the heck is he? I am only a few chapters away from finishing the book and still fondly waiting for him to make an appearance. He is by far one of the most interesting characters of this series, along with Jenks, Ivy and of course Rachel herself. (Have to admit I am not precisely too great a fan of Ivy either...)

Nick... Nick can climb up the
Nichole (Dirrty H)
Kim Harrison is a writer with a lot of imagination and a lot of personality. Her world and her characters are very original. Where she stumbles is in her actual writing.
Not only are there tons of typos in this book - spelling errors, grammar errors, etc ("it was a mute point"?! "she had to access the situation"?) - but her actual writing leaves a little something to be desired.
I have struggled with this series, finding it boring at times and hard to follow. I finally came to the conclusion tha
Aisling Zena

I don't know how to rate this..

Rachel is getting on my nerves big time and that's never a good thing for the main character of a series. It also feels like it's heading down a very weird path with Ivy that I seriously don't like. I also don't like what's coming for Jenks. And I didn't even get some sexy times to distract me from all that in this book.

description

What I did like is the writing, the world K.H. built and the overall plot. I will probably keep reading the series as I'm too curious and
Dannii (lilbob1980)
I found this book really hard to read compared to the previous three. Whilst there was all the usual excitement and twists and turns i was starting to feel like i had read this all before. Rachel is starting to get on my nerves a bit, i really can't understand how one person can keep making such bad mistakes and never learning from them, and she seems to have the biggest libido in the world. Can she survive five minutes without falling in love with someone? And is she ever going to stop toying w ...more
Jonetta
The story begins with Rachel in the middle of a Were challenge. They don't like her being David's alpha, which she and David orchestrated so she could be insured and allow him to essentially remain as a lone wolf. Things happen during that challenge that are harbingers of what's to come. If that wasn't enough action, Rachel gets drawn into some Nick drama that includes Jenks' son, Jax. Apparently, he's acquired a powerful artifact that will threaten the Inderland world, giving Weres a dangerous ...more
missEvi [can't commit to a book]
Shortest review ever:
While reading this book I couldn't stop my self from thinking a saying that we have here in Greece "even more stupid than chicory". Rachel is so dumb that my hand is twitching.

I hope that I won't end up rooting for a demon to take her out of her misery.
Kat Kennedy
The last couple of lines of this book were the best of this whole series.

I still don't LOVE this series but I'll give the next book a read now just because I want to know what bloody happens. Though it's edging eerily close to an Anita Blake theme here.

I think the reason why I liked this story better was because it was blessedly free of demons. When there's a demon around, you can almost bet that Rachel is twice as dumb as usual. Unfortunately, the title of the next book is A Few Demons More.

Fuc
La Mala  ✌
description
ACLARACIÓN: Aunque esta reseña tiene marcado 'spoilers' después de cada ítem, no suelo spoilear nada. Es decir, no escribo nada que arruine la trama principal. (En caso de hacerlo, lo advierto previamente con una nueva marca de spoiler>!! O sea, te encajo un spoiler adentro del spoiler, porque estoy muy jugada, y soy re heavy y re jodida.)

¿De qué trata? : Rachel Morgan, físicamente incapaz de tomar la mitad de una decisión sin meter la pata, mete la pata el triple cuando decide ayudar a uno
VampireNovelFan
Many people loved this book, but this was actually among my least favorite.

Nick, Rachel's ex-boyfriend is a conniving little snot. He adds nothing to this series, except my hate for him. He ends up partnering with Jax (Jenks' son) and they get themselves in trouble with the weres after their attempt to steal the Focus.

The gang take a road trip to save him and Jax, but Jenks needs to be a bit more powerful. Soooo Rachel makes him big! While this particular book wasn't my favorite, that one scene
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
4.5 Stars!

It's funny how a series can sneak up on you and take you by surprise. How it can worm it's way into your thoughts and you find yourself thinking about it at odd times throughout the day until you can get back to where you left off last and devour it some more.

I think this series has done that to me, wormed it's way into my thoughts and made me completely addicted to it.

I just love all the characters and even though Rachel can be trying at times with all the danger she knowingly puts h
Robert
Jan 10, 2014 Robert rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: robert-s-reads
The charm was lost on me. Maybe I need to remove the stake from the nape of my neck, devour a clove of garlic in less than 12 seconds, follow it up with some red Kool-Aid, douse myself in holy water, and then shoot a silver bullet up my bum. Or maybe I should tell all the werewolves, witches, pixies, and vampires to suck it, and that I’ll handle the trials and tribulations of dangling from a rope myself. Instead of plunging a few of my fantasies into ecstasy, I was left with a look of horror on ...more
Kimmay
Relief & Irritation.
That is what I am feeling right now. I just now finished book 4 in the Hollows series and I am relieved the book is finished I can now return it to the library! I am glad I didn't buy this or swap this. It was the weakest book in the series so far. And though I may continue on with the series, I will have to give it some time to let the irritation pass.
The whole Ivy/Rachel thing is on my nerves. I like Rachel with Kisten, at least I did until the end of this book. What
valee
Mar 30, 2010 valee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Damn, how can I say this? This is a too good to be true series. I love it. I know it had a slow beginning with the first 2 books, but terrific from then on.

This book was amazing. I had never seen so much action and events going on in a same book. Really. So many things happened in this book that I felt like I was reading more than one book in a same series. And I mean this in a good way. Everything just developed smoothly.

UF lovers, you'll love this series, it is so different from all the ones
Nov 12, 2009 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Kim Harrison always produces reliable escapist literature, so that didn't let me down. I had a few complaints with this book, the most central being that Harrison is playing the lesbian erotica card, even while denying she is denying her main character's potential bisexuality. Rachel is SO sure that she is exclusively straight, but, reading her reactions to Ivy, I am not. Here's the thing, I know Harrison wants me to be unsure. I get it, wavering sexuality is exciting. This is maybe true for the ...more
Ashley
Mar 16, 2011 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok let me just say that I actually really like these books, but man am I really starting to get sick of Rachel. I mean COME ON! Why is it that she almost never uses her powers. I know that she's worried about going black when she'd rather stay white, but if your in deep shit somethings got to give. She has all these powers and when she's in trouble she doesn't use them. She waits awhile to see how bad it get's first and I dont think that's because she likes to live on the wild side a bit too muc ...more
Armina
May 21, 2013 Armina rated it liked it
Shelves: buddy-reads
Actual rating 3.5 stars.

I enjoyed this but not as much as the previous books in the series. That's why I'm rating it this way.

My biggest complaint is that a big part of the book is devoted to the relationship between Rachel and Ivy and although I like Ivy enough I don't love her ;).

But I love big Jenks. The best parts in the book include him. Also the Were fights and the action in general were amazing!

I missed Trent and Al but considering the title of the next book in the series this will change
Lightreads
This is a road trip book, taking Rachel (witch), and eventually Ivy (living vampire), out of town with a newly reconciled Jencks (pixie) to chase after Nick (human) the ex boyfriend and thief, a potentially powerful artifact, and a lot of werewolves. It’s funny, because though things do happen here and the plot carries forward, I am left with the impression of a placeholder book. Which is still not a bad thing, mind you, and I think Harrison’s instinct to get the original three out of the Hollow ...more
Kristy
Jan 21, 2009 Kristy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kribu
Too tired for a proper review.

Short version: liked the plot, liked Jenks, really could have done without the developments with Ivy. (Also, I'm seriously not liking Nick very much. Nope.)
Celeste
This is the fourth installment in the Hollow’s series and honestly it reads just like the first three.
I literally just finished reading this and I’m not sure I can totally pin my annoyance with this book on just Racheal. There were a couple of reasons I disliked this book, the first being all the repetitions about a certain aspect. Like when Jenks gets big (lol…dirty joke) and I have to read about how good looking he is like ten million times. Ok so it wasn’t ten million times but if you’re goin
Tara Day
Apr 15, 2015 Tara Day rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nonstop action and humor. This is my second favorite book in the series. Kim Harrison has a way of setting so much stuff up and yet managing to give it all some sort of closure, even if it goes through a few books to do so.

Maybe you would have seen the trouble with Nick from his introduction in Dead Witch Walking. Though I had my wariness of his ease with demons, I never would have imagined their relationship together taking such a turn for the worst. It's obvious Nick has so much love for Rach
OpenBookSociety.com
Review brought to you by OBS staff member Heidi

This is the fourth book in Kim Harrison’s Hollows series that follows the witch, Rachel Morgan, and her two business partners and friends, Ivy, the living vampire, and Jenks, the pixie.

In book three, Jenks left after Rachel didn’t trust him with a secret and they haven’t spoken since. Now Rachel finally gets her chance to mend things with him when his wife, Matalina, asks for her help. Rachel’s ex-boyfriend, Nick, left town and took Jenk’s and Matal
Kasia
Oct 08, 2011 Kasia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Obviously I would not recommit this book to anyone who has not read the previous three installments, this series is so mouth wateringly good that you cannot miss a beat; it would truly be a loss for anyone to read this out of order. That aside I will keep the narration of this book short and sweet, ruining or giving anything away is the worst favor anyone can do with this series, the surprises emerge like spring flowers through the snow and action builds up with no sights set up on stopping anyt ...more
Kristi
Oct 03, 2012 Kristi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: twostars, fluff, fantasy
This is a 4 "cold face" book. It was nice to see the number of times she used the phrase reduced. However, it seemed to come at a cost of other editing errors. One of the most hilarious instances of this was when a female character's arms were "emancipated." I believe she meant, "emaciated." Also, multiple times, someone "hit the breaks" while driving instead of the "brakes."

Plot-wise, Jenks gets big, which is lots of fun! He's my favorite character in this series anyway.
Deea (Andreea)
Dec 23, 2014 Deea (Andreea) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, uf
[re-read December 2014]
Still one of my least favorite books in the series. In very long series, filler (slower books) are a given and sometimes necessary, and I guess this is one of those for the Hallows. I'll be honest, I skipped a few parts here and there (so much angst and inner turmoil and drama, ugh!), but a Hallows book is a Hallows book. It got that something. :)
Now, should I read the next one, knowing what's coming... that is the real question.
Crazy Uncle Ryan
Dec 14, 2008 Crazy Uncle Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Crazy Uncle Ryan by: Stephanie
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I really enjoyed this one. I think this was the best book in this series so far. One part in particularly that I really enjoyed was the conversation between Rachel and Peter when they are Nick’s truck on the way to the bridge. Once again, I’m really looking forward to seeing how the series continues.

There is one problem I wanted to mention. Near the end of the book I noticed a LOT of typos. The publisher might need to invest in some better proofreaders.
Rita
I don't think I will ever like IVY. But Nick just took the cake, he is a horrible person. Disappointed there was no Trent in this one. No big Al either, not that disappointed on that note. Rachel needs to get her self together and find someone who will not eat her for goodness sake. Looking forward to the next book.
Mark
Jun 06, 2015 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lost its way in places, some very daft decisions.
2-3-4 Challenge B...: * A Fistful of Charms by Kim Harrison 11 4 Jul 10, 2016 10:23AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question D 7 6 Jul 01, 2016 09:29AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question E 7 5 Jun 30, 2016 04:04PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question C 8 4 Jun 30, 2016 03:55PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question I 8 5 Jun 30, 2016 07:51AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question H 8 3 Jun 30, 2016 06:25AM
  • Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2)
  • Claimed By Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2)
  • The Taste of Night (Signs of the Zodiac, #2)
  • Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2)
  • Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand (Kitty Norville, #5)
  • Hunter's Prayer (Jill Kismet, #2)
  • Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)
  • Industrial Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #4)
  • Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6)
  • Another One Bites the Dust (Jaz Parks, #2)
  • Secrets of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #3)
  • Dawnbreaker (Dark Days, #3)
  • Magic in the Blood (Allie Beckstrom, #2)
  • Burnt Offerings (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #7)
Kim Harrison, author of the New York Times #1 best selling Hollows series, was born in Detroit and lived most her her life within an easy drive. She's currently working on the Peri Reed Chronicles, and when not at her desk, is most likely to be found landscaping her new/old Victorian home, in the garden, or on the links.
Kim reaches out to her audience at Facebook https://www.facebook.com/KimHarris
More about Kim Harrison...

The Hollows (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2)
  • Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3)
  • For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)
  • The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6)
  • White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7)
  • Black Magic Sanction (The Hollows, #8)
  • Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9)
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Ever After (The Hollows, #11)

“Plan B?' Ivy said. 'What is plan B?'
Jenks reddened. 'Grab the fish and run like hell,' he muttered, and I almost giggled.”
256 likes
“As the joke goes, you don’t have to be faster than the wolf chasing you, just faster than everyone else running away.” 153 likes