Start by marking “Recovering Charles” as Want to Read:
Recovering Charles

Recovering Charles

3.49  ·  Rating Details ·  2,124 Ratings  ·  584 Reviews
Luke Millward hasn't spoken to his father, Charlie, for nearly four years. Their last contact came when Luke's dad, a long-suffering musicain and alcoholic, was living in New Orleans. Luke offered his father what he pledged was his last handout: $500. His father tearfully promised not to call again.

That last conversation played in Luke's mind for weeks after Hurricane Ka

Audio CD, 4 pages
Published September 16th 2008 by Shadow Mountain (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Recovering Charles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Recovering Charles

Lucy
Dec 01, 2008 Lucy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If ever a book was to get a "meh" rating, this would be it. Not bad but not necessarily good, Recovering Charles tells the story of a son who finds a way to forgive his alcoholic father by searching for him throughout the wake of Hurricane Katrina's devastation. Like most "meh" books, it has some highs and lows.

The highs would be the description of New Orleans. For the first time, I felt a deep sense of horror and urgency about saving that great city. Blame it on the over-saturation we get from
Rebecca
Oct 30, 2008 Rebecca rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was asked to preview this book for our book club...otherwise I probably would have never picked it up. I wish I hadn't anyway. I would have actually given it two stars up until the "surprise twist" ending. Nobody in their right minds would have acted the way the characters in this story did. Also, I wonder if I were a victim/survivor of Katrina, or at least searching for a loved one who was, if this book would have offended me.
M. M. Sana
Jan 04, 2009 M. M. Sana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who wouldn't mind reading fiction about Hurricane Katrina!
Recommended to M. M. Sana by: "Jo"
This book is written appropriately in short sentences that provide the reader with vivid images, considering that the main character in the book is a photographer. The author does a beautiful job organizing two timelines of his character's present grown-up life in Manhattan, NY as a photographer and his childhood in Texas.

Luke Millward sits in his studio appartment and obssessively watches the news as they show New Orleans under water... images that perhaps we all have seen in the news when Hur
Heather the Hillbilly Banjo Queen
Lyn
Oct 02, 2008 Lyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those curious about what really happened after Katrina
Shelves: adult
I truly appreciated a first-hand look at post-Katrina, New Orleans, without the biased, self-serving spin of the media or political figures. The story was charming and carried me along beautifully until the last chapter.

Wright spends the whole book weaving us into a very conflicted dysfunctional family. His main character has spent years trying to come to grips with his emotional baggage. Then, at the very height of all the drama, in a "pulled the rug out from under you" kind of move, he wraps
Heather Murphy
Nov 14, 2008 Heather Murphy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather by: Bookclub
A stirring relationship between a son and his father about love, forgiveness and the emotional connections with the past. Can Luke survive all these emotional burdens? What will he do with the knowledge he gains? Can he heal? Will he move forward?
The setting is New Orleans during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. I grew to love the city (I’ve never visited) from the descriptions in the book.
Written by an LDS author but without any clues to his religion therein other than good values, etc.
Janie Johnson
Jun 10, 2014 Janie Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-challenge
This book was a part of my "Why Did I Not Read These Books" challenge. And I am so glad that I chose this one to be a part of this challenge. Jason F. Wright is a first time read for me and I have to say I was not disappointed in this book. I was kind of surprised to see some of the low ratings for this book because I found it to be a great read, very touching, very emotional.

In this book we have a Luke who is a photo journalist and then we have Charles who is sax player. Charles can't deal with
Jodi
May 17, 2009 Jodi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Heather
Oct 04, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults, preteen 12+
“Every life has a second verse” is the theme reiterated throughout Jason Wright’s latest novel, Recovering Charles. Luke Millward receives a phone call that turns his normal life upside down. On the heels of Hurricane Katrina, Luke is told that his father is missing in New Orleans. Estranged from his father for many years, Luke decides to make the journey and join in the search. The search for his father turns out to be a discovery of the soul—both past the present for Luke.

This novel was a won
Shelese
Jan 06, 2009 Shelese rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so much fun for me to read! We went to church with the Wrights(the author) in Fair Oaks and then we moved out to the Woodstock Branch which so happens to be where Jason and his family live now... so anyway in this book he has used names of people he knows, so 90% of the characters names were of people I knew as well. It was so exciting to read and hear characters introduce who are actually like the person's real name, and also when characters are introduce who are nothing like thei ...more
JaLae
Nov 22, 2008 JaLae rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody!
Absolutely one of the worst books I have ever read. I know this sounds harsh but I think a combination of the writing style, the bland dialogue, the anti-climactic ending.....and a lot of other worthless things between the pages. The only problem with me is when I committ to read a book, it doesn't matter how bad it is....I must finish. I becomes personal and much like this book-it became a challenge. I've met the challenge and can gratefully move on...
Jenn
Nov 24, 2008 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story... the end surprised but made sense, I learned things about the Katrina aftermath that I didn't learn from the news coverage... I thought it was a beautifully written story with plenty of humor as well as insightful portrayals of human nature. I learned a little something about myself!
Sara
Mar 03, 2009 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a moving story about a man searching for his father after Hurricane Katrina. It really brings home how devastating this disaster was, and how things like this bring out amazing things in people.
Kara
Mar 28, 2009 Kara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very depressing. Although, the history of hurricane Katrina and the aftermath was spot on.
Not a book for someone who has gone through tough times with family members, and has not had the closure they have been dreaming of. As for myself there will be no second chance.
Sherrill
Jul 25, 2009 Sherrill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a very predictable book about a young photographer who goes in to the aftermath of Katrina in search of his estranged father. Everyone he meets loves the guy so it is clear that when he actually finds him his opinion will be drastically altered.
Karen
Jan 07, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book narrated by the author. It was a good story but sad. It was a very realistic story. I could imagine this hitting home to many people.
Melanie
Jul 08, 2009 Melanie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had extremely low expectations, but was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed the subtle references to the Church. Gotta love those Mormon authors!
Stephanie
Feb 19, 2010 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want an "outsider's" perspective of the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, this is a good book. It gives yoiu a taste of the effects, with a story line and a twist!
Lexie
Oct 10, 2016 Lexie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BR2

Recovering Charles is a heartwarming story, written by Jason F. Wright. Staged right after Hurricane Katrina Recovering Charles is a story of Luke Millward. He has been through so much, from his mother’s death to his father being a failing musician, “Charles Millward was born was born a brilliant musician.”
“Not exactly a brilliant player of music, but a remarkable musician all the same. He once told Mr. Dalton’s fifth grade class on Parent’s Day that if you listed American’s top ten thousand
Sheri
Feb 24, 2017 Sheri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Neither here nor there. Luke has to come to terms with his alcoholic father. It's post Katrina and he's headed to look for his father, who is missing after the devastating storm that has annihilated most of New Orleans.
The description of the city after the storm is described in great detail and is very realistic. The love interests and sub plot was ok. In all, the book was just ok.
Nancy
Jan 27, 2017 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Attention holding, finding what really matters, doing right. I would have written a different ending.
Britney
Jan 31, 2017 Britney rated it it was ok
Shelves: listening-to
I got this audio book free on the Deseret Book app. It could have been interesting but just didn't quite get there for me.
Amanda Kay
Oct 09, 2016 Amanda Kay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellently written. Drew me in from the first page. I recommend.it to anyone with a heartbeat
Mimi
Jan 14, 2011 Mimi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
I thought the author did a good job of moving the story in two directions: through the main character's memories of his past (specifically scenes with his parents) and through the events currently unfolding in the main character's life. I felt the transitions between the two were seamless, and that the episodes from the past were well placed, given at a time where you could digest them without them immediately being relevant in the current time. Does that make sense? :)

It was a hard read in som
 Mummy Cat Claire
I read this book for book club. Previously, I had never heard of this book. I would never had read this book had it not been chosen for book club.
I ended up not liking this book very much. Mostly because it is such a downer but I ended up giving it three stars because the mood of the book was kinda the point.
I felt pity for Luke. He got the short end of the stick and was trying to make the best out of his life. Everyone seemed to just give up around him and then they would leave. His father had
Jacquline
Nov 22, 2014 Jacquline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mommywest
Mar 13, 2009 Mommywest rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Jason Wright's best-written book yet! He employs excellent interweaving of the present and past to create a story that engages you and teaches you something as well. The New Orleans portion of Hurricane Katrina is something I've struggled to understand better, and this book takes you THERE. I was walking the deserted, grimy streets; I was floating in a longboat among household items, family pictures, and corpses. It is not a gruesome or horrifying story, but you become very sympthetic to ...more
Traci
May 21, 2010 Traci rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a 2 1/2 stars for me because although I didn't get too emotionally involved into the story it was still a gripping tale of family dynamics and the horrific effects that mother nature can have on our beautiful earth and mankind. Having lived in the areas of hurricanes I can truly understand that life is precious and that one storm can change the way your neighborhood looks and affect you in ways that you didn't know were possible...i.e. having a desire to always be prepared for a moments ...more
Apzmarshl
May 04, 2010 Apzmarshl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Apzmarshl by: Karen Snook
Wright is the author of 'Christmas Jars' and 'Wednesday Letters'. In 'Recovering Charles' Wright's main character, Luke Millward is a lost soul. He is a successful photographer that has little personal connection to anyone except his friend Jordan. Jordan and Luke met in college and have remained close, though Luke cannot bring himself to make Jordan his wife.
Hurricane Katrina hits the lower South. Luke discovers that his estranged, alcoholic father was lost in the fray. Luke has never come to t
Sarah Sammis
Recovering Charles by Jason F. Wright is two stories in one novel. The first is the recovery and redemption of an alcoholic widower. The second is the son's quest to find his father in New Orleans the post Katrina aftermath. Charles Millward is the father, finally getting his act together in New Orleans and Luke Millward is his estranged son who is faced with the grim task of tracking down the body of a man he hasn't spoken to in years.

What Works:
  • Daughters of God
  • Tangled Roots
  • Peculiar in a Good Way
  • The Holy Secret
  • The Writing on the Wall (Hearts of the Children, #1)
  • Believe in What You're Doing; Believe in Who You Are
  • Hope In Our Hearts
  • Broken Things to Mend
  • Don't Close Your Eyes
  • An Elect Lady: The Illustrated Life Story Of Emma Smith
Jason Wright is a New York Times, Wall Street Journal and USA Today bestselling author.

Jason is a weekly columnist for the Deseret News and Northern Virginia Daily and articles by Jason have appeared in over 50 newspapers and magazines across the United States including The Washington Times, The Chicago Tribune, and Forbes. He is the author of The James Miracle (2004); Christmas Jars (2005); The W
More about Jason F. Wright...