Start by marking “A Study in Scarlet” as Want to Read:
A Study in Scarlet

A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes Graphic Novels Adaptation #2)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  900 ratings  ·  70 reviews

After the success of their other Illustrated Classics editions, Ian Edginton and I.N.J. Culbard have once again teamed up. This time, they’ve created a visually compelling graphic novel adaptation of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s masterpiece A Study in Scarletwhich introduced the world to the immortal detective Sherlock Holmes and his friend and chronicler, Dr. Watson.

The s

Paperback, Graphic Novel, 129 pages
Published February 11th 2010 by Sterling (first published 1875)

To ask other readers questions about A Study in Scarlet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Study in Scarlet

Seth Hahne
I have not read Holmes. I have certainly encountered him in movies, television shows, essays, and other pop-cultural artifacts, but I have not read his cases and have no firsthand experience with his interlocutor, Arthur Conan Doyle. So when I speak of A Study in Scarlet as adapted by I.N.J. Culbard and Ian Edginton, you’ll kindly bear my context in mind. I cannot speak to their faithfulness to their source material but to the quality of their final product alone.

A Study in Scarlet by Conan Doyle, Edginton, and Culbard

For the most part at any rate. I
Jon
A fine reduction of the novel. My main criticism is that Holmes looks too "dashing" in the art, like a skinny Superman with a comb-over.
Michael
Review from Badelynge.
This isn't the first time A study in Scarlet has been adapted into a graphic novel but it is still a welcome addition. Ian Edginton is very faithful to Doyle's story. The book is quite pleasing all round. Ian Culbard delivers a style of art that doesn't ape the Strand illustrations, rather he chooses to caricature the characters using Doyle's descriptions. Everyone is instantly recognizable throughout. A narrow palette of colours is used, mainly all shades of brown and blue
Ernest
The stories of Sherlock Holmes were one of my first introductions to the mystery genre and so it was with a mixture of excitement and hesitancy that I read this volume. There was excitement in re-reading this fantastic story and seeing how it would translate to images. However, there was hesitancy in reading a well-crafted story in another form and wondering if the new form ruins the precision of the story and the memory of what the story was and meant.

Fortunately, this full colour graphic novel
Lexi
I never read the Sherlock Holmes novels!

I really enjoyed this graphic novel. The drawing style, the colours (very atmospheric) and the texts were really good. At the end of the first part I was kind of confused, how Holmes found the murderer, but the last chapters wrapped that part up very nicely.
It also confused me that this novel is actually the second one in the Sherlock Holmes graphic novel series - since it is the first Sherlock Holmes novel - but I found out, that this baby was published
Lauren
Great adaptation of the classic Holmes story. I love the genesis of Holmes and Watson's relationship as seen through Watson's narrative. I think this story shows Holmes' classic deduction and reasoning skills better than some of the other books.

Love the graphic re-interpretations. I'd love to see more of these...
Fredrik Strömberg
I'm a longtime Sherlock Holmes fan, so I've read Conan Doyle's novels and short stories several times over, seen many of the films, the TV-seires and so on. I've also, just recently transferred this interest to my eleven year old son, for whom I'm right now reading Sherlock Holmes stories in the evenings.

I'm also a voracious reader of comics, so this book should really be for me. It's well made, stays closely to the original and is illustrated with a modern yet still somehow retro style. The Swe
Miriam
3.5! Gillade mer än vad jag trodde jag skulle =)
Jen
This works much better as a novel rather than a graphic novel. The clever pacing and the feeling that you're always trying to catch up is disrupted by the graphic novel format (which is still a fun way to read this book, but not ideal).
Cecilia
Kind of excepted more of this story...

Read my whole review at Book Obession.
Pauline
The story was of course brilliant and I did enjoy the graphic style.
Though Holmes took some getting use to, so use to his face being that of Benedict Cumerbach.
Amelia
Sherlock Holmes A Study in Scarlet: A Study in How Many Things Can Be Turned Into a Graphic Novel!
A Review By: Amelia

Interested in more book reviews? Check out my blog Bookworms Unite! (http://bookwormsunitebookreviews.blog...)

Sherlock Holmes is a literary figure that will never stop sparking people’s imaginations. In my lifetime alone I’ve seen his period pieces (Guy Ritchie movies), his modern pieces (the BBC Cumberbatch series), and his ultra-modern pieces (the Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Ce
Talia
I've always loved Sherlock Holmes stories and all things associated with Doyle's universe. Being a fan of graphic novels, I picked this up a year or so ago along with The Hound of the Baskervilles (my next book to read).

The artwork in this story was fantastic - vivid colors, clean lines and the lettering was clean and easy to read. I though Edginton did a great job in adapting the text to graphic novel form. The story didn't lose anything vital and flowed well.

If you're a fan of Sherlock Holmes,
Christopher Jamison
This is my first introduction to Sherlock Holmes (in print). Gwinnett Co. Public Library edition.
Monica
Jan 10, 2015 Monica rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2015
Having read the original story by our beloved Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, I was very intrigued to see this at my local library. I'm no expert in graphic novels or Sherlock Holmes, but I thought that this was a great adaptation. I loved the artwork (however, Watson looked far more submissive than I've always imagined and Sherlock was a little too well groomed) and the story was very easy to follow. Overall, it stayed true to the book, simplifying bits into more modern language while leaving most of i ...more
Magila
4.5

This was very, very good. It was colorful, interesting, and all of the characters were drawn deliberately and with an eye towards recounting the original. The backstories presented were on point, and the chapter breakup a were a useful literary tool.

Sherlock is not rolling over in his grave. I would be pleased to use this in a classroom setting, in the way Eisner imagined to use graphic novels to teach. Fans of classic literature may also enjoy this, and graphic novel fans should pick it up.
Catie
After binge watching some episodes of Sherlock, I was in the mood for some Sherlock Holmes. I bought two of these Sherlock Holmes graphic novels while I was in London at the Sherlock Holmes Museum. (My dad continues to call them comic book, which they are not) I read this in a couple sittings because the first night I started it, I was extremely tired. But basically, I love the story, I loved the illustrations. I thought Sherlock and Watson were beautifully drawn and looked great in the book! I ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: This was a Cybils '10 nominee and I hadn't read it by the time judging was due as it was not a contender by that time and I'm just now getting to it.

I was a young teenager when I read through all of Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and since then I've only reread the occasional short story as it appears in anthologies that cross my path so my memory is dim on the book. A bit brighter on the various movie versions but that is still some time ago as I don't watch much TV anymore; all th
Leanne
Dec 29, 2012 Leanne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children as intro to Holmes; Fans of Holmes

This is a very faithful comic book adaptation of the classic Holmes story. I consider the story a little less solid than the other Holmes stories--in the novella, the second half is occasionally boring to me. It moves along much more quickly in this adaptation, which was very pleasant, especially if one has already read the novella.

The artwork is more cartoonish than I usually like, but it's very well done and I enjoyed it. The only thing that bothered me about the art was the way Holmes looked.

Sarah Sammis
A Study in Scarlet by by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was first published in Beeton's Christmas Annual. It's been more than 20 years since I first read it but after seeing Moffat's take on it as "A Study in Pink" I wanted to refresh my memory. Ian Edginton's graphic novel version of A Study in Scarlet was a fun way to revisit the original mystery.

This is the story that introduces Dr. Watson, newly returned from Afghanistan, to Sherlock Holmes. Watson is in need of affordable housing and Holmes is in n
Anna
I've never read a Sherlock Holmes book before, so I thought reading one as a graphic novel would be a nice introduction. And it was. The illustrations are wonderful, I really like the style, and the story is told in a good way. However, it turned out I'm not much into the story itself. Had I read A Study in Scarlet in its original form I probably wouldn't have finished it. At least this book gives me an idea what it's about. And again, I can't stress enough how well done the illustrations are.
Jamie
It is interesting to be fairly familiar with the overall concept of Sherlock Holmes and company, from simply the popularity it has regained in recent years with the Robert Downey Jr movies, the Cumberbatch British series, as well as Elementary most recently, and not have actually read much of the classic stories these all spring from. I've enjoyed all of the above, save for Elementary, though I've friends who like it greatly, and in starting to read the stories now, it is like discovering a new ...more
Michael
Review from Badelynge.
Shaun
I've recently watched the BBC Sherlock series and was interested in picking up the graphic novel at the library. The was the first time in many years that I've read anything Sherlock related. It was fun seeing the mystery illustrated. I just love the brilliance if Holmes and the presence of Watson. The authors do a good job transforming the short story into comic form.
Eva
THIS BOOK IS BLOODY BEAUTIFUL. No, really. I just finished re-reading it for the fifth time. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is a master of psychology. Framing the story through Watson's point of view is genius, as it allows him to elegantly contrast the different perceptions of Watson and Holmes. This story in particular fascinates me because of its incorporation of Mormonism and Utah Lore. It would seem that Doyle knew exactly what he was talking about. Onto more Holmes.
Reader
There have been plenty of graphic novel adaptations of Sherlock Holmes stories over the years, but Ian Edginton and I.N.J. Culbard knew what they were doing when they chose to try their hand at this, the first of the Sherlock Holmes adventures. In this novel Holmes and Watson meet for the first time and the doctor war veteran gets to see firsthand how Holmes' intelligence and ingenuity solve the crime of two men murdered alongside the mysterious word "RACHE". The story is all the more remarkable ...more
Nia Nymue
I've read this story several times but it was still engrossing. I'm not a big fan of the art but the frame placement was good and helped to build up suspense.
Stephanie Lam
I love the picture in the book the chapter book version is a bit better than this version bring out the great plot in the book
Natalien
A fair adaptation of Arthur Conan Doyle's classic. Graphics: The faces of characters are exaggerated, almost to the line of caricature, to represent their personalities more obviously; but 'the prominent chin' of Sherlock Holmes wasn't THAT prominent in my imagination. The animation of faces and gestures didn't flow so well together with the text. The colouring was superb: the gloomy Victorian London streets and the brightness of Utah deserts, was beautifully contrasting. Quick 2 hour read, good ...more
Susana Mode
Very interesting, full of intrigue and mystery and a bit of angst in the middle.
  • Amelia Earhart: This Broad Ocean
  • The Case of Charles Dexter Ward: A Graphic Novel
  • Salem Brownstone: All Along the Watchtowers
  • Silverfin the Graphic Novel
  • The Tale of Despereaux: The Graphic Novel
  • The Unsinkable Walker Bean
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Classic Starts Series)
  • Iron Man and Philosophy: Facing the Stark Reality
  • The Amulet of Samarkand (The Graphic Novel)
  • Sherlock Holmes and a Scandal in Bohemia (On the Case with Holmes & Watson, #1)
  • The Trial of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes Dynamite, #1)
  • Set to Sea
  • X-Men and Philosophy: Astonishing Insight and Uncanny Argument in the Mutant X-Verse
  • Beasts of Burden: Animal Rites
  • The Light Fantastic: The Graphic Novel (Discworld Novel 2)
  • The Beast of Chicago: An Account of the Life and Crimes of Herman W. Mudgett, Known to the World As H.H. Holmes
  • Holmes for the Holidays
  • The Chuckling Whatsit
Edginton sees part of the key to his success coming from good relationships with artists, especially D'Israeli and Steve Yeowell as well as Steve Pugh and Mike Collins. He is best known for his steampunk/alternative history work (often with the artist D'Israeli) and is the co-creator of Scarlet Traces, a sequel to their adaptation of H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds. With 2000 AD we has written L ...more
More about Ian Edginton...

Sherlock Holmes Graphic Novels Adaptation (4 books)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles
  • The Sign of the Four: A Sherlock Holmes Graphic Novel
  • The Valley of Fear: a Sherlock Holmes Graphic Novel
The Picture of Dorian Gray: A Graphic Novel The Hound of the Baskervilles Hinterkind Vol. 1: The Waking World Victorian Undead: Sherlock Holmes Vs Zombies H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds (Graphic Novel)