Start by marking “A Study in Scarlet” as Want to Read:
A Study in Scarlet

A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes Graphic Novels Adaptation #2)

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,080 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews

After the success of their other Illustrated Classics editions, Ian Edginton and I.N.J. Culbard have once again teamed up. This time, they’ve created a visually compelling graphic novel adaptation of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s masterpiece A Study in Scarletwhich introduced the world to the immortal detective Sherlock Holmes and his friend and chronicler, Dr. Watson.

The s

Paperback, Graphic Novel, 129 pages
Published February 11th 2010 by Sterling (first published 1875)

To ask other readers questions about A Study in Scarlet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Study in Scarlet

Seth T.
Nov 11, 2011 Seth T. rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I have not read Holmes. I have certainly encountered him in movies, television shows, essays, and other pop-cultural artifacts, but I have not read his cases and have no firsthand experience with his interlocutor, Arthur Conan Doyle. So when I speak of A Study in Scarlet as adapted by I.N.J. Culbard and Ian Edginton, you’ll kindly bear my context in mind. I cannot speak to their faithfulness to their source material but to the quality of their final product alone.

A Study in Scarlet by Conan Doyle, Edginton, and Culbard

For the most part at any rate. I
Kristin Davison
Jun 12, 2016 Kristin Davison rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
This is the second book in this graphic novel series based on the first Sherlock Holmes novel by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. This is well adapted and quite a direct adaptation from the novel.
I like the illustration style, John is drawn well and there are some really sweet moments. However the illustration style makes some characters, especially Sherlock, seem more sinister than they actually are.
Jon Carroll  Thomas
May 31, 2012 Jon Carroll Thomas rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A fine reduction of the novel. My main criticism is that Holmes looks too "dashing" in the art, like a skinny Superman with a comb-over.
Sem
Jun 07, 2015 Sem rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, holmesiana
I realise that Doyle described Holmes as having a prominent square chin but I'm quite certain that he didn't intend it to look like the business end of a garden spade.
Dov
This adaptation has much to offer a reader, but the way Holmes is drawn really distracts me. He's too happy, too super-hero-y, too clean-cut. I found myself looking through image after image of Holmeses over the years. In all of them he tends to be edgier and moodier. I really liked this one though I don't quite understand where it comes from and where it's going.

Those who adapt stories that are so iconic have a big challenge on their hands: how to stay w
Michael
Feb 07, 2010 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review from Badelynge.
This isn't the first time A study in Scarlet has been adapted into a graphic novel but it is still a welcome addition. Ian Edginton is very faithful to Doyle's story. The book is quite pleasing all round. Ian Culbard delivers a style of art that doesn't ape the Strand illustrations, rather he chooses to caricature the characters using Doyle's descriptions. Everyone is instantly recognizable throughout. A narrow palette of colours is used, mainly all shades of brown and blue
Ernest
Jul 29, 2011 Ernest rated it really liked it
The stories of Sherlock Holmes were one of my first introductions to the mystery genre and so it was with a mixture of excitement and hesitancy that I read this volume. There was excitement in re-reading this fantastic story and seeing how it would translate to images. However, there was hesitancy in reading a well-crafted story in another form and wondering if the new form ruins the precision of the story and the memory of what the story was and meant.

Fortunately, this full colour graphic novel
Lexi
Feb 13, 2013 Lexi rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
I never read the Sherlock Holmes novels!

I really enjoyed this graphic novel. The drawing style, the colours (very atmospheric) and the texts were really good. At the end of the first part I was kind of confused, how Holmes found the murderer, but the last chapters wrapped that part up very nicely.
It also confused me that this novel is actually the second one in the Sherlock Holmes graphic novel series - since it is the first Sherlock Holmes novel - but I found out, that this baby was published
Frida
May 23, 2016 Frida rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to come.
Jimmy
May 18, 2016 Jimmy rated it it was amazing
I picked up this graphic novel after I first read the author’s and artist’s previous Sherlock Holmes work: The Hound of the Baskervilles: A Sherlock Holmes graphic Novel. I enjoyed the first work and I also enjoyed their second volume! A Study of Scarlet was actually Arthur Conan Doyle's first work on Sherlock Holmes. It is amazing to think Doyle wrote this classic at the age of twenty six something I didn’t know until I read the Preface. I haven’t read Sherlock Holmes since I was a kid and I ha ...more
Lauren
Jun 18, 2011 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Great adaptation of the classic Holmes story. I love the genesis of Holmes and Watson's relationship as seen through Watson's narrative. I think this story shows Holmes' classic deduction and reasoning skills better than some of the other books.

Love the graphic re-interpretations. I'd love to see more of these...
Miriam
Apr 04, 2015 Miriam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5! Gillade mer än vad jag trodde jag skulle =)
David Schaafsma
Jun 21, 2015 David Schaafsma rated it liked it
Shelves: gn-crime
Classic Holmes story told in comics fashion. I had read it and seen it many times, and so it was familiar to me, and this felt to me like a way in for younger people, as it sort of simplified things, but it was done by a talented artist.
Jen
Mar 06, 2011 Jen rated it it was ok
This works much better as a novel rather than a graphic novel. The clever pacing and the feeling that you're always trying to catch up is disrupted by the graphic novel format (which is still a fun way to read this book, but not ideal).
Cecilia
Kind of excepted more of this story...

Read my whole review at Book Obession.
Pauline
Apr 12, 2012 Pauline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
The story was of course brilliant and I did enjoy the graphic style.
Though Holmes took some getting use to, so use to his face being that of Benedict Cumerbach.
Amelia
Jan 24, 2015 Amelia rated it really liked it
Sherlock Holmes A Study in Scarlet: A Study in How Many Things Can Be Turned Into a Graphic Novel!
A Review By: Amelia

Interested in more book reviews? Check out my blog Bookworms Unite! (http://bookwormsunitebookreviews.blog...)

Sherlock Holmes is a literary figure that will never stop sparking people’s imaginations. In my lifetime alone I’ve seen his period pieces (Guy Ritchie movies), his modern pieces (the BBC Cumberbatch series), and his ultra-modern pieces (the Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Ce
Alexis
Feb 29, 2016 Alexis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sherlock Holmes söz konusu olduğunda okumayacağım pek bir şey yoktur, bu yüzden de şu çizgi roman hakkında düşüncelerim taraftar olabilir; ama, uyarlama ve çeviri açısından bence çok iyi yazılmış. Çizimlerin de gerek sıcak gerek soğuk, karakterlere uygun olması da beni mutlu etti (hele Watson karakteri tam hayal ettiğim gibi çizilmiş!..) Holmes'un orijinal serideki ciddi samimiliği de fevkalade bir şekilde aktarılmış - bu tarafını genelde modern dizilerde göremiyoruz, senaryo yazarları onu makin ...more
Talia
Feb 19, 2014 Talia rated it it was amazing
I've always loved Sherlock Holmes stories and all things associated with Doyle's universe. Being a fan of graphic novels, I picked this up a year or so ago along with The Hound of the Baskervilles (my next book to read).

The artwork in this story was fantastic - vivid colors, clean lines and the lettering was clean and easy to read. I though Edginton did a great job in adapting the text to graphic novel form. The story didn't lose anything vital and flowed well.

If you're a fan of Sherlock Holmes,
Christopher Jamison
Jun 16, 2013 Christopher Jamison rated it liked it
This is my first introduction to Sherlock Holmes (in print). Gwinnett Co. Public Library edition.
Monica
Jan 10, 2015 Monica rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Having read the original story by our beloved Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, I was very intrigued to see this at my local library. I'm no expert in graphic novels or Sherlock Holmes, but I thought that this was a great adaptation. I loved the artwork (however, Watson looked far more submissive than I've always imagined and Sherlock was a little too well groomed) and the story was very easy to follow. Overall, it stayed true to the book, simplifying bits into more modern language while leaving most of i ...more
Magila
4.5

This was very, very good. It was colorful, interesting, and all of the characters were drawn deliberately and with an eye towards recounting the original. The backstories presented were on point, and the chapter breakup a were a useful literary tool.

Sherlock is not rolling over in his grave. I would be pleased to use this in a classroom setting, in the way Eisner imagined to use graphic novels to teach. Fans of classic literature may also enjoy this, and graphic novel fans should pick it up.
Catie
Jun 28, 2014 Catie rated it it was amazing
After binge watching some episodes of Sherlock, I was in the mood for some Sherlock Holmes. I bought two of these Sherlock Holmes graphic novels while I was in London at the Sherlock Holmes Museum. (My dad continues to call them comic book, which they are not) I read this in a couple sittings because the first night I started it, I was extremely tired. But basically, I love the story, I loved the illustrations. I thought Sherlock and Watson were beautifully drawn and looked great in the book! I ...more
Fredrik Strömberg
I'm a longtime Sherlock Holmes fan, so I've read Conan Doyle's novels and short stories several times over, seen many of the films, the TV-series and so on. I've also, just recently transferred this interest to my eleven year old son, for whom I'm right now reading Sherlock Holmes stories in the evenings.

I'm also a voracious reader of comics, so this book should really be for me. It's well made, follows the original closely and is illustrated with a modern yet somehow still retro style. The Swed
Nicola Mansfield
Jun 07, 2011 Nicola Mansfield rated it it was amazing
Reason for Reading: This was a Cybils '10 nominee and I hadn't read it by the time judging was due as it was not a contender by that time and I'm just now getting to it.

I was a young teenager when I read through all of Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and since then I've only reread the occasional short story as it appears in anthologies that cross my path so my memory is dim on the book. A bit brighter on the various movie versions but that is still some time ago as I don't watch much TV anymore; all th
Leanne
Dec 29, 2012 Leanne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Children as intro to Holmes; Fans of Holmes

This is a very faithful comic book adaptation of the classic Holmes story. I consider the story a little less solid than the other Holmes stories--in the novella, the second half is occasionally boring to me. It moves along much more quickly in this adaptation, which was very pleasant, especially if one has already read the novella.

The artwork is more cartoonish than I usually like, but it's very well done and I enjoyed it. The only thing that bothered me about the art was the way Holmes looked.

Sarah Sammis
May 06, 2012 Sarah Sammis rated it liked it
A Study in Scarlet by by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was first published in Beeton's Christmas Annual. It's been more than 20 years since I first read it but after seeing Moffat's take on it as "A Study in Pink" I wanted to refresh my memory. Ian Edginton's graphic novel version of A Study in Scarlet was a fun way to revisit the original mystery.

This is the story that introduces Dr. Watson, newly returned from Afghanistan, to Sherlock Holmes. Watson is in need of affordable housing and Holmes is in n
Anna
Feb 07, 2015 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've never read a Sherlock Holmes book before, so I thought reading one as a graphic novel would be a nice introduction. And it was. The illustrations are wonderful, I really like the style, and the story is told in a good way. However, it turned out I'm not much into the story itself. Had I read A Study in Scarlet in its original form I probably wouldn't have finished it. At least this book gives me an idea what it's about. And again, I can't stress enough how well done the illustrations are.
Jamie
Mar 31, 2014 Jamie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
It is interesting to be fairly familiar with the overall concept of Sherlock Holmes and company, from simply the popularity it has regained in recent years with the Robert Downey Jr movies, the Cumberbatch British series, as well as Elementary most recently, and not have actually read much of the classic stories these all spring from. I've enjoyed all of the above, save for Elementary, though I've friends who like it greatly, and in starting to read the stories now, it is like discovering a new ...more
Michael
Mar 08, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it
Review from Badelynge.
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Graphic Revolve (Graphic Novels))
  • The Secret Notebooks of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Tale of Despereaux: The Graphic Novel
  • BB Wolf and the Three LPs
  • Amelia Earhart: This Broad Ocean
  • The Case of Charles Dexter Ward: A Graphic Novel
  • SilverFin: The Graphic Novel
  • Set to Sea
  • The Beast of Chicago: An Account of the Life and Crimes of Herman W. Mudgett, Known to the World As H.H. Holmes
  • The Light Fantastic: The Graphic Novel
  • Salem Brownstone: All Along the Watchtowers
  • X-Men and Philosophy: Astonishing Insight and Uncanny Argument in the Mutant X-Verse
  • The Adventures and Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
  • Iron Man and Philosophy: Facing the Stark Reality
  • The Chuckling Whatsit
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Tangled Skein
  • Unsinkable Walker Bean, The
  • Beasts of Burden: Animal Rites
Edginton sees part of the key to his success coming from good relationships with artists, especially D'Israeli and Steve Yeowell as well as Steve Pugh and Mike Collins. He is best known for his steampunk/alternative history work (often with the artist D'Israeli) and is the co-creator of Scarlet Traces, a sequel to their adaptation of H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds. With 2000 AD we has written L ...more
More about Ian Edginton...

Sherlock Holmes Graphic Novels Adaptation (4 books)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles