Start by marking “Doing What Matters Doing What Matters Doing What Matters” as Want to Read:
Doing What Matters Doing What Matters Doing What Matters

Doing What Matters Doing What Matters Doing What Matters

When Warren Buffett was asked why the Gillette board of directors chose Jim Kilts to be CEO, he said, "Jim made as much sense in terms of talking about business as anybody I've ever talked to. If you listen to Jim analyze a business situation you get absolutely no baloney. And, frankly, finding someone like that is a rarity."
There is only one CEO in recent times who has f
Published September 4th 2007 by Crown Business (first published January 1st 2007)

Be the first to ask a question about Doing What Matters Doing What Matters Doing What Matters

Shrinivasan G
Jul 30, 2015 Shrinivasan G rated it really liked it
There is often a rare book that resonates with you. The reverberation is so strong that you wish to align with each and every line written as a wisdom that is talking to you.

This is one such wonderful book. I did not just read this book, but learnt it as a text book in university syllabus. I read it, took copious notes of each and every nugget, now have realms of pages of written notes to synthesize frequently.

If there is a practical actionable insightful book to excel in a management role, do
Kt
Feb 25, 2015 Kt rated it did not like it
I couldn't get to the end of this book. He started off by talking about doing what matters, then goes on and on about how much he likes himself. A lot of the stuff he discusses seems like common sense, and I think people get so stuck in a world of what they are "supposed to do" and don't reflect on what's actually happening. Maybe this all needed to be said, but it was not particularly interesting to me. I really don't care for some of the companies he discusses, so it was just starting to bring ...more
Lindsay
Aug 28, 2012 Lindsay rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio-cd, work
One of few books I didn't finish. Just not applicable to me. Many books made for business apply to life or to my nonprofit career but this was for CEO's of businesses dealing with the quantities of razors sold etc...I was so happy when a good book on hold came in at the library and I could stop listening to this one on CD.
Jason
Jun 23, 2008 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very simplistic overview, and one is left to wonder if the "excessive capital spending" noted by the author didn't help make his job a bit easier in the following years, but filled with good insights that are definitely valuable!
David
Jul 07, 2009 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This read wasn’t a waste of time, but was somewhat sparse. Much of it was a combination of self-aggrandizing, corporate war stories, personal vindication, justification for various actions, and the like. But there were a few tips and advice worth listening to.
Richard Stephenson
I liked it!

Not as focused as some other "looking back mentoring" style books, but you'd learn a thing or two from this one.
Stacey Allen
Sep 23, 2013 Stacey Allen rated it liked it
Likely a really great book of pointers for someone taking over a CEO position in a large company. It was interesting to hear about what companies are linked to others.
Jim Anglin
Dec 12, 2013 Jim Anglin rated it really liked it
Loved the product strategy tips in this book!
John
Jun 07, 2014 John rated it it was ok
Shelves: couldnt-finish
read it college-style (scan & skim)

"In my view, it's doers who make the world go 'round." - James M. Kilts

*last 3 pages=summary
Katherine Davison
Sep 15, 2011 Katherine Davison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business-books
Listened to the audio book, will definitely listen again. A detailed analysis of how a multinational were managed, a lot of gems for managers and business owners.
Lori Grant
A should-read book on managing companies for knowledge workers, managers, executives, and entrepreneurs.
Curtis
Jan 12, 2014 Curtis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some good parts, some very skippable parts.
Eric Lewis
Eric Lewis rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2013
Joel Yeo
Joel Yeo rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2012
Kimberly Wilson
Kimberly Wilson rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2010
Edgar Flores
Edgar Flores rated it it was ok
Feb 21, 2010
Eva Kissova
Eva Kissova rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2015
Tanya
Tanya rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2016
Lyn
Lyn rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2014
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2014
Steven Strycula
Steven Strycula rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2016
Josi
Josi rated it liked it
May 15, 2013
Evelina
Evelina rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2017
Alison Fahl
Alison Fahl rated it did not like it
Mar 16, 2016
Sanket Chitnis
Sanket Chitnis rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it it was ok
Apr 26, 2017
Rick Franklin
Rick Franklin rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2014
William R.
William R. rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016