Start by marking “Everything Changes” as Want to Read:
Everything Changes

Everything Changes

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  6,547 ratings  ·  645 reviews
Jonathan Tropper’s novel The Book of Joe dazzled critics and readers alike with its heartfelt blend of humor and pathos. Now Tropper brings all that–and more–to an irresistible new novel. In Everything Changes, Tropper delivers a touching, wickedly funny new tale about love, loss, and the perils of a well-planned life.

EVERYTHING CHANGES

To all appearances, Zachary King is
Published March 29th 2005 by Bantam (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Everything Changes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything Changes

Sassacaia
Mar 24, 2008 Sassacaia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sassacaia by: Karen
I think it's a testament to Jonathan Tropper's writing skill that he can create characters that I can relate to even as they are having experiences I never have had, such as being male, having brothers or anticipating the results of a biopsy. It took me longer to get into this one than it did Book of Joe, but once it did, once again, I couldn't put it down. I completely fell in love with Zack in the end. How can you not love anyone who creates paragraphs like this one:

I picture my empty cubicle,
Bev
After picking up How to Talk to a Widower on a whim, I became an immediate fan of Jonathan Tropper and went back to read all of his other books. Each one has moments of hilarity and poignancy. This is the type of book that I find truly entertaining--one that can both make me laugh out loud and bring me to tears. I could not help but love the main character in this story; in spite of his ambivalence and lack of drive, I warmed to him immediately, and I attribute that to Tropper's gift with charac ...more
Abigail Hillinger
Okay, I knew there was a reason why I gave Jonathan Tropper another chance.

This book was fantastic. I started it late on a Sunday night, in the vain attempt that it would help me fall asleep, and instead, I read the entire book.

Besides Tropper's writing style (which is sarcastic and funny while being warm and engaging...odd feat), the interwoven stories were interesting and touching. I immediately went to the bookstore to buy his other books. Hooray for a new favorite author.
Joyce
Waiting for Biopsy Results and Other Life's Fun Events

I met Jonathan Tropper at a literary presentation in April, 2011 at Eastern Michigan University. He is a droll man with a singular, but not overpowering, wit. I was duly impressed.

I have liked all of his books. I loved "There is Where I Leave You" and I almost love "Everything Changes." His total talent was apparent in "This is Where....." which, I understand, is in the works for a movie. Tropper writes for both men and women, which makes hi
Mick
Two summers ago I was blown away by Jonathan Tropper's "The Book of Joe." So I've been looking forward to reading Tropper's third novel for many, many moons. And guess what? Tropper does not disappoint; his tome, EVERYTHING CHANGES, successfully captures that funny/poignant hybrid characteristic of this very gifted writer.

Thirty-two-year-old Zack King finds himself in quite the conundrum. He hates his job; he's engaged to to a beautiful, adoring woman, yet finds himself hopelessly attracted to
Jill L
First review and I am not sure I am doing this correctly or even if there is a "correct" way to do things. This is the second book I have read by Jonathan Tropper and I am anticipating reading his other novels. Often I can really, really enjoy a book - I mean really like it- but it is fairly rare when I read something that actually takes me somewhere else entirely. With some authors, you just feel a kinship through their style. With Tropper, it's a bit masochistic...in a good way. He tells his s ...more
Greg Zimmerman
Many people's immediate reaction to Jonathan Tropper — author of last year's critically acclaimed This Is Where I Leave You, one of my favorite books of 2009 — is to pigeonhole him as the dude version of chick lit writers like Sophie Kinsella, Lauren Weisberger and Candace Bushnell. Everything Changes certainly has elements of what could be considered "dude lit" — laughably bad dialogue, silly gratuitous sex scenes, drugs and rock'n'roll. Even the cover art plays into this notion of "for fellas ...more
K
May 30, 2011 K rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone in the mood for something light but not stupid
I've decided to override my inner snob and to give this four stars.

Every now and then, I need something light and readable but not too stupid. Of the two Jonathan Tropper books I've read, both fit that bill.

Sure, I can point to flaws in this book, particularly Mary Sue style wish fulfillment. One major plot point here is that the protagonist, an average guy, is caught between two beautiful and kind Mary Sue-like women, both of whom want him and are willing to forgive a great deal. Whatever.

But
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Everything changes for Zack when he wakes up one morning and discovers blood in his urine. While waiting for his biopsy results to come back, Zack deals with his lackluster career, an absentee father who decides to make his re-entry into the family after being gone for 20+ years, his upcoming engagement party, and the fact that he may be in love with his best friend's widow.

Like all Tropper books, Zack is kind of a loveable loser and is surrounded by an unforgettable ensemble cast. While I'm sur
Darrin
Aug 19, 2008 Darrin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Erin, Chris, Lisa
Shelves: literary-fiction
This being my second foray into the writings of Jonathan Tropper (the first being How to Talk to a Widower) I continue to be impressed by his writing.

While there are definite similarities in plot between the two books-- conflicted male who thinks his life is in order is faced with adversity and the true uncertainties of life to test his limits-- there are enough differences and the characters in Everything Changes are flawed enough to be believable and likable and there are still enough differen
Alena
I needed a solid, entertaining audio book to get me through the last crazy weeks of school and found it in Jonathan Tropper. Everything Changes is certainly not his best work, but any Tropper is good reading.

The story felt familiar -- Zach is a 30-something Jewish guy with serious father issues who faces a life-altering crisis. Drama, humor and fist-fights follow. It's the standard Tropper mix but I'm OK with that. Sometimes I want something familiar and not too challenging.

I like that Tropper's
Bill Krieger
Not good. This is a book about a guy who complains. He complains a lot. You've heard of "stream of consciousness"... well, this is stream of complaining. It is incessant. Zach King, the main character, is a 30-something guy who complains about his job, his friends, his fiancé, and mostly, over and over again, his father. We have the whole magilla here: flat writing style, 2-D characters, boring plot, etc. It is draining.

The book cover promises "razor-sharp wit". OK. The running gag in the book:
Melissa
Zach's life seriously changes, everything in his life. Even more than suggested by reading the book jacket. Starting out the book is great, then for about 40 pages in I felt anxious reading the book and could put it down at any time. I was becomming a bit dissapointed. But, by the middle of the book I was laughing so hard. I would laugh for several pages straight.
Zach has a great paying job and engaged to a beautiful wealthy woman. Zach lives in an awesome appartment with his friend Jed rent fre
Todd Carper
I think I have now read all of Jonathan Tropper's books and they have all been great in my opinion. Everything changes is about a guy in his mid 30's in a deadend job who is about to get married to a beautiful women while being in love with the widow of his best friend. While this is going on in his life, his deadbeat dad comes back into the families life. They hadn't seen him in around 25 years. One of his brothers is in a punk rock band and clearly has issues with his dad. His other brother is ...more
Lightblue
Everything Changes but You...
Quanto mi piace lo stile di Tropper... Mi ricorda tanto "Le domande di Brian" di Nicholls, che è uno dei miei libri preferiti. Ciò che accomuna questi due libri è il fatto di trattare un argomento che non brilla di originalità, ma con uno stile così accattivante che ti dimentichi di aver letto già mille volte del ragazzo trentenne che è scontento della propria vita ma non riesce a dare una svolta alla sua esistenza. E così ci si affeziona a Zack, alla sua vita sentim
Cath
A book about love. Not the soppy kind, or the romantic kind - but the soul fulfilling, complete and utter love that is between parent and child, between siblings, between friends, between parents and yes, between soul mates.

Set around a male, in New York, yet as a female, in rural England, I could relate to Zack's feelings, confusions and journey: which must mean an awesome author, when you end up wanting to be the main character.

It left me feeling sad that I don't have the complexities of the r
Matt Allen
Tropper knows his strengths and plays to them in every novel. Of all the Tropper I've read (five now), though, Everything Changes is probably my least favorite. It had the definite feel of a three-star for the entire first half and maybe longer. Solid effort--but didn't stack up with his other novels.

Boy, did he finish strong.

The payoff of Everything Changes makes the mediocre early read well worth it. As usual, his characters are dead-on, his narration is strong, and his dialogue is usually e
Raya
Honest, raw, and surprisingly moving. Everything Changes is narrated by Zack King, who is going through a sort-of mini mid-life crisis when a health scare forces him to evaluate his life. Not only does Tropper tell a funny and highly entertaining story but he also creates characters that are complex and relatable in all of their imperfection. Even the minor characters are fleshed out enough to find interesting, like Jed, whose grief for his dead friend causes him to hide behind his television, a ...more
David Jordan
I guess I’ve become a fan of Jonathan Tropper. He has published five novels, and this is the fourth I’ve read. Few writers hold my attention that well. Tropper is a practitioner of what the British call “lad lit,” the flip side of “chick lit.” He writes about young men striving to find themselves personally and professionally, mixing wry humor with pathos. In “Everything Changes,” he recounts the misadventures of Zack King, who is about to marry a beautiful socialite although he is in love with ...more
Kate
(I feel like my reviews are going to start losing their value since I give so many things 5 stars)

My second Jonathan Tropper book (I read This is Where I Leave You in July) and I love him even more. I liked Everything Changes a lot more (even though I think I gave ...Leave You a 5 star too)...I thought the characters were much more likable (except for Norm, of course) and the story flowed much faster.

Overall, Everything Changes was fantastic and has definitely convinced me to read all things Tr
Margaret
I enjoyed this a lot, especially in the second half. The characters and their quirks have been established, and a lot of humour is achived by putting them all together in bizarre situations where the quirks emerge and mix hilariously. I laughed out loud at the fight scene, and every time the Elton John wig was mentioned. And I was rooting for the narrator to get with the right girl, and that happened too. Perhaps too pat an ending, but I enjoyed it.
Janelle Kuntz
I've finally figured it out…..I think I actually fall in love with Tropper's main guys! His 'guy' is not dissimilar book-to-book. Clearly there is a common denominator in the male voice he writes that grabs me and keeps me coming back for more (oh behave!).
Christina
May 30, 2008 Christina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christina by: Susan
This was a refreshing look at a man's quest for love. It was like reading chick lit, but, it was written by a man and the protaganist is one as well. Most of the characters in the book are, and they're just as confused as the "girl books" I've read lately!

There are surprising elements, and parts of it made me laugh out loud. If you have nothing else going on, I would suggest giving it a shot. It's not bad at all.
Serena!
Mi sono innamorata follemente di questo libro!!
Basta, questa è la prova definitiva che i libri ti chiamano e ti attirano.. E c'è un momento in cui libro e lettore devono ricongiungersi: ho trovato questa meraviglia su Amazon ad un euro mentre vagavo nei meandri del sito.. Non conoscevo l'autore ma è stato amore a prima cover (e prezzo)!
Sin dalle prime pagine, anzi, che dico! Sin dalle prime righe lo stile di Tropper mi ha conquistato e dentro di me avevo la certezza che avrei amato tantissimo il
Molly
Feb 08, 2008 Molly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My Sister, the girls dinner night group
Recommended to Molly by: I think My mom
I really enjoyed this book.

You can't help but love the main character with his perfect life, perfect job and how it can get perfectly messy pretty quick.

I kept hearing Mick Jagger sing..."You can't always get what you want" through out this book...And I liked it anyway.

Just finished this and it was entertaining and an easy read (good for train commute)--not as good as The Book of Joe, but I really liked it! His writing style is refreshing and sometimes it's nice to not have to think SO much when you are reading. Great for the summer.
Allison
I recently went on a Tropper binge for my vacation, and I tore through this one in two days. How To Talk to a Widower remains my favorite, but I really enjoyed this one - didn't know how it was going to end and really did believe the evolution of the character.
Eileen
This was quite a funny well written take on what could have easily been considered 'chick lit' but written by a man about a man who learns he may have cancer.
The characters were all well written and the story was good.
Melissa
I just finished reading this book. I really enjoyed it, and read it in less than 24 hours. It's a very fast paced read. I would recommend this book, and am looking forward to checking out his other books.
Misha Husnain Ali
I liked this book a lot more than the only other Tropper book I have read (This is where I leave you). The characters here are less obviously cliched and convincingly messed up due to a death and other issues such as being essentially abandoned by their father.

I was pretty sure where the primary storyline of this book was going but a secondary storyline surprised me with a really heartwarming and believable ending.

I gave "This is where I leave you" four stars, but I'll have to re-evaluate that a
Tropper´s worst book yet? 5 49 Aug 04, 2013 01:47PM
  • Supreme Courtship
  • You, Me and Him
  • Salt Water
  • Coming Back to Me
  • The Z Word (Apocalypse Babes, #1)
  • The Secret Lives of Fortunate Wives
  • The Financial Lives of the Poets
  • Three Girls and Their Brother
  • The Dead Heart
  • Bella Summer Takes a Chance
  • Husband and Wife
  • Flimsy Little Plastic Miracles
  • A Field Guide to Burying Your Parents
  • 236 Pounds of Class Vice President: A Memoir of Teenage Insecurity, Obesity, and Virginity
Jonathan Tropper is the author of Everything Changes, The Book of Joe , which was a Booksense selection, and Plan B. He lives with his wife, Elizabeth, and their children in Westchester, New York, where he teaches writing at Manhattanville College. How To Talk To A Widower was optioned by Paramount Pictures, and Everything Changes and The Book of Joe are also in development as feature films.

-Infor
More about Jonathan Tropper...
This is Where I Leave You The Book of Joe One Last Thing Before I Go How to Talk to a Widower Plan B

“I wake up like this, this sense that I've somehow been transported to an alternate universe where my life took a left instead of a right beacuse of some seeemingly insignificant yet cosmically crucial choice I've made, about a girl or a kiss or a date or a job or which Starbucks I went into...something.” 33 likes
“here's the thing. I don't think you're in love with her, not all the way. If you were, I think you would seem more certain about it. More jazzed. You wouldn't hug me the way we hug, and say the things you say to me. You definitely wouldn't have kissed me the other day the way you did. I'm not saying you're in love with me. I'm just saying that whatever this thing is you feel toward me, this thing we're both too scared to mention, I don't think it could exist if you were head over heels in live with Hope. And if that's the case, if youre not head over heels in love with her, you shouldnt marry her."
P.268”