Britannia in Brief: The Scoop on All Things British

Britannia in Brief: The Scoop on All Things British

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  15 reviews
When it comes to Britain, most Americans don’t know (Union) Jack. Fortunately, now an Anglo-American husband-and-wife team are here to help with a smart, funny, and handy guide that minds the gap between fact and fiction. From Whigs and Windsors to wankers and Wales, this spit-spot-on reference covers all manner of British history, society, culture, language, and everyday...more
Published May 19th 2009 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2009)

Margie
Sep 30, 2011 Margie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nancy, Liz, Margery
Shelves: words
Fun, quick read. A fond visit back to Basil Brush, the Wombles, and Curly Wurly bars.
I can now pronounce Cymru.
Abbey
BOTTOM LINE: Subtitled "the scoop on all things British", this snappy little book is filled with lots of odd facts and fun quizes about England, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, their oddities and differences from the United States.

Written cooperatively (one hopes...) by Leslie Banker (American) and her husband William Mullins (British), it's a chatty bunch of fun stories and little bits of interesting trivia centered around basic things an American may need, or wish, to know when visitin...more
Vanessa
Great fun for anglophiles. This is an informative introduction to Britain from many angles: history, royal family, pub tipping practices (you don't), geography, media, literature, food. And on and on. Some of the tips are kind of a no-brainer (what? I shouldn't ask a Scot if Glasgow is a suburb of London?) but I learned a lot plus the authors have an appropriately wry sense of humor that kept me reading. Be sure to try the quiz at the end before and after reading.
jennifer
Author Banker is American and Mullins is English, and this is relevant because the book is relating British locations, history, speech, food and culture to the American audience. Very handy for explaining the pecking order of royals, the political parties, what marmite is made from, the different literary awards, what your choice of newspapers tells the world and who a person named Jordan is and why she's famous. 3.5 stars
Paula
I knew about some of the stuff here, but I did learn about the difference between lager, bitter, and stout and about the British sensation Jordan (aka Katie Price) who I had never ever heard of before, but apparently is sort of the British equivalent to Kim Kardashian. And Kylie Minogue is the British Madonna? Who knew? This wasn't life-changing, but it's a fun read if you're an anglophile like me.
Megan
I loved this guide to Great Britain. It really kept my short attention span. It was informative, entertaining, and managed to make me feel inferior to the Brits but at the same time fall in love with the culture. This was the recommended reading for my London study abroad prep course, and it really did its job.
Leticia
Pick up this book if you are interested in life in Britain or if you are interested in visiting. All questions have been answered even the most elusive "Why do they drive on the left side of the street?"
This book was most entertaining and succinct.
Bryce

A useful guide to understanding all things British for Americans heading across the pond. Perhaps a bit heavy on popular culture versus culture and history for my tastes, but I am sure the things I learned will be useful.
Jenni
A pretty funny read from a husband (English) and wife (American) team discussing the hilarious differences between the UK and US. A very quick, fun read. Certainly won't be winning the Pulitzer ... but enjoyable nonetheless.
Amanda
Utilizing punchy British humor at times, this book offers a wealth of practical advice about foreign land that that is more foreign than most Americans think. I feel significantly more prepared for my impending move to the UK.
Kathryn
A fun quick read filled with useful facts about the UK. I lived in London for about a year and have traveled several times within the UK, and there were items in this book that were new to me.
Dixie
Lots of fun - really enjoyed this. Don't know why they call it _The Anglo File_ here when the cover says it's called _Britannia in Brief_.
Ekim
It's bit dry but overall enjoyed reading this book. Would definitely recommend this to others.
Andrienne
Worth checking out. It's easy to read and has a lot of important info to make you feel informed.
Marcy
Amusing little book about all things British.
Juliew.
Juliew. marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Nicholas
Nicholas marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Alison Bohn
Alison Bohn marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Ann-Marie
Ann-Marie marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Laura Dean
Laura Dean marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Pocket Renovator: Kitchens, Bathrooms, and Home Renovation Britannia in Brief The Pocket Decorator