Start by marking “The Choice (Lancaster County Secrets, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Choice (Lancaster County Secrets, #1)

The Choice (Lancaster County Secrets #1)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  4,786 ratings  ·  394 reviews
With a vibrant, fresh style Suzanne Woods Fisher brings readers into the world of a young Amish woman torn between following the man she loves--or joining the community of faith that sustains her, even as she questions some of the decisions of her elders. Her choice begins a torrent of change for her and her family, including a marriage of convenience to silent Daniel Mill ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about The Choice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Choice

The Shunning by Beverly  LewisWhen the Heart Cries by Cindy WoodsmallThe Covenant by Beverly  LewisThe Betrayal by Beverly  LewisThe Sacrifice by Beverly  Lewis
Best of Amish Fiction
26th out of 205 books — 179 voters
Redeeming Love by Francine RiversA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversHigh Desert Haven by Lynnette BonnerAn Echo in the Darkness by Francine RiversThe Girl in the Gatehouse by Julie Klassen
Historical-Fiction-Favorites
135th out of 173 books — 53 voters

More lists with this book...

Stefani
I'm going to be honest with you - I read this because it was a free Kindle book. In the end, I loved it!

To give you a little background: I was raised in a mixed religion household (my father is Jewish, my mother is Catholic) and I do not consider myself a religious person. I expected this book to be too religious for me, but I was really surprised.

Carrie is an Amish girl, part of the "Plain Folks" society of Lancaster PA. I expected a sort of "Boy-Meets-Girl" storyline but WHEW, there are twists
Erin

This is the first book I've read from author Suzanne Woods Fisher and it certainly won't be my last. I enjoy how Suzanne writes, as her writing style was easy to read and the captivating story kept it hard to put down. I read The Choice in a day in a half and am so sad that the story is over. I'm really look forward to more books in the Lancaster County Secrets Series!

The Choice is a tale full of moral values, family, faith, and tragedy. I was quite intrigued learning about the Amish ways as I'v
Renee
Up until recently I have been wary of picking up Amish fiction simply because they seem to be so repetitive in themes and storyline. Over the past 2 years or so there has been an influx of new authors in the "bonnet" fiction genre that are really bringing a freshness to books focused around the Amish way of life. I am excited to say that Suzanne Woods Fisher is one of those great new authors.

Her first foray into Amish fiction, The Choice, deals with a young woman facing the difficulty of choosi
Susan
I know, I know - another Amish book? I thought the same thing. Just how many haystack dinners, Sunday Singings, Shoo Fly pies and general gemutlichkeit can one person take, huh?

But, The Choice is different than many other Amish fiction books I've read. Here you'll find the typical gentle, slow-moving Amish life on steroids. There are deaths, multiple trips to the hospital, accidents, marriages, widowings (is that a word?) ... suffice it to say that you will not be bored with The Choice.

The book
Kaylea
One of the things I liked about Fisher's novel is that the characters seem believable - sometimes more so than other Amish novels on the market today.

Fisher said she is very deliberate about making her characters "realistic" for readers.

"Some of it comes from giving characters flaws, so that they become believable," Fisher explained. "Readers can identify with a character when he/she isn’t perfect."

One of those realistic characters is Steelhead, who unexpectedly appears in the novel and shows h
Abbie
My first response to this book after I finished was WOW! This book had more twists and turns then I ever expected! The book starts out with Carrie in love with Solomon. He is Amish but loves baseball and has been playing behind the back of his community. He gets drafted to play as a pitcher and wants Carrie to come with him. She wants to but days before they are set to leave a tragic even changes everything and she remains behind heartbroken. She ends up marring Daniel to get her and her brother ...more
JanetTronstad Author Tronstad
A beautifully written book. Love the descriptions of Amish life -- they're woven into the story so naturally. The characters are alive in this book.
Debbie Lester
My Synopsis:

The Choice (Lancaster Country Secrets Series - Book 1) by Suzanne Woods Fisher

In The Choice, the first book in the Suzanne Woods Fisher's new Lancaster County Secrets series, Carrie Weaver is forced to decide between her life in the Amish community where she grew up and the unknown world outside.

When her father dies suddenly, Carrie enters into a marriage of convenience to provide a home for herself and her brother, Andy. But, her broken heart keeps her from becoming totally committe
Molly
WOW. How can I say what I feel about this book? It was AMAZING!!! I literally DID NOT want to put this book down for ANYTHING. Sadly, I had to. But, while I was reading it, it was a true page turner from page one.

The Choice is the first book to a new series, and it has a been a GREAT start!! I read ALOT of Amish novels and this is, by far, one of the BEST ones I have read so far! Suzanne makes you feel apart of the characters' lives from beginning to end. I easily fell in love with all the char
Jennifer Taylor
This is the first Amish book I have finished reading from the beginning to the end. I tried an Amish novel a few years ago, but couldn't get passed chapter one. Therefore, my finishing it should say a lot about this novel. It grabbed my attention--the way it was written, the intriguing story plot, and the engaging characters. One of the things that surprised me about this book was the fact that it contained an element of suspense to a murder mystery. There was one plot twist I didn't see coming ...more
April Gardner
One moment Carrie Weaver was looking forward to running away with Lancaster Barnstormers pitcher Solomon Riehl—plans that included leaving the Amish community where they grew up. The next moment she was staring into a future as broken as her heart. Now, Carrie is faced with a choice. But will this opportunity be all she hoped? Or will this decision, this moment in time, change her life forever?
(back cover copy, “The Choice”)
For Carrie Weaver, it’s all about choices, tough ones. Deciding whether
Sam
I feel biased. I admit I rate lighter on Amish fiction.

I LOVED how Fisher put in the cons of Amish life as well. All the Amish fiction I've read has a little bit of a "holier than thou", detached depiction of their lives. As if the Plain way is the only way that is right. I loved how Fisher brought in both. The peace of Amish life, but also the conflict.

What I didn't like was, I suppose, the redundance of Amish fiction. I can ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS predict what is going to happen. They all run on
Jocelyn Green
Here's what I liked about the book:
■I learned some fascinating things about the Amish culture I wouldn’t have known otherwise
■While the book shared some positives and negatives about the Amish lifestyle, it didn’t seem like propaganda to convince the reader that the Amish are either all good or all bad.
■I couldn’t tell which way the story was going to go- and it was refreshing to not be able to predict the ending!
■There were several plot lines twisted together, not so much to complicate the
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Simply enjoyable. This is truly a story that shows how each choice you make carries a consequence. Sometimes those consequences are good and sometimes they are filled with sorrow and regret. While she loves her Amish world, Carrie's life hasn't been easy with a prickly step mother and a father and brother who suffer from hemophilia. But, when she falls in love with Sol, nothing else matters.

After heartbreak and disappointment, however, she chooses a different path; one that keeps her within the
Janeice
This was a wonderful story, captivating and gives a real understanding of being Amish. It was wrote well and a lot of detail. It was so good it was hard to put it down. Suzanne shows how things work out when we trust the Lord and learn to forgive and accept forgiveness from God and others. I would recommend this book and am so glad that I got it to read.
This is NOT your average Amish fiction book. The author wasted no time educating us about the Amish culture. I have read a few now and this one is different. The story line was varied, interesting and hard to put down. You will love it! (Even if you have had your fill of shunning and buggy accidents.)
Jess
I ultimately liked the resolution of this, but good lord, the number of deaths. I don't think I've read anything with that high a body count outside a book where there are actually battles taking place.
Joan
I rarely read 'religious books - I hate having someone's views thrust down my throat - but this was recommended to me and I started reading it much as I would a sci-fi AU story with world-building and a totally different way of life.

And it worked. I didn't get uppity about the religious aspects, or the seemingly incomprehensible (to me at any rate) ability of people to be so darned NICE in the face of real unpleasantness!

In some places it dragged, and there was a fair amount of repetition, but
Joanie Bruce
This was a sweet story, full of faith, dedication to family/community, and forgiveness.

Carrie Weaver has many choices to make in this story, but the one that affects her life the most is whether to leave her Amish home and family to run away with the love of her life. That choice shapes the rest of her life, and takes her down a path that in the end, helps her find true, fulfilling happiness.

What I liked: The characters were likable, the plot was unexpected with a couple of twist and turns, and
Karen Korb
My Thoughts About The Book: I am a huge fan of Suzanne Woods Fisher and have read many of her books and must say I have enjoyed them all. This book is no exception. This book is the first in a series so I got to meet the characters from the very beginning. This was nice. I was immediately drawn into the book and felt as if I had known Carrie for a long time. This was my first Amish book that was filled with so many life altering issues. I could not believe all the problems that just kept popping ...more
Cafelilybookreviews

Carrie Weaver is in love with Solomon Riehl, and shares a life changing secret with him. In a community where movies, cars, electricity and bicycles are banned, Sol’s baseball pitching contract weighs heavily on their minds. Carrie’s family isn’t fond of Sol, so their relationship must also be kept a secret.

When Carrie’s father dies, Sol asks Carrie to run away with him and be married. As much as Carrie loves Sol, she’s terrified of leaving her 9 year old brother Andy, with their overbearing st
Zette
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
This book is a change of pace from what I normally read. This being said I did really enjoy the book's diversity and overall feeling of hope and peace. This book represents the very simple things in life that most of us have forgotten in the hussle and bussle of life with all of it's modern conveniences. I think for me reading this book was about or getting to see things for how simple they really are instead of missing out on what is truly beautiful knowing God's love for us. This book simply s ...more
Sandy Mckenzie
I have been always been fascinated with the Amish and their lifestyle. I can't even begin to say enough good things about this book. This is the first of Suzanne Woods Fisher's books that I've ever read and I can definitely say that it won't be the last. The emotions that the characters felt were well portrayed and any reader, whether they've gone through similar circumstances or not, can relate to what each character must be feeling at any given time. I could not put it down!

The book starts off
Cindy Barnett
Sweet romance, interesting mystery with likeable cast. Won't be beat up with the Bible, it's more 'religion' than relationship oriented though the romance(s) are fun to read as they are pleasant and rereadable. eBook © 2010 Recommended.
Barbara
I've made a number of visits to the Pennsylvania Dutch country and knew something about the Amish before reading this book. I observed them in their buggies traveling through town and learned about the Amish while visiting Lancaster County. I learned more about their beliefs while reading this book.
While they live very differently than the "English" (non-Amish), I could feel the beauty they see in their choice to live the way they do after reading this book.
Their lives appear to be centered arou
Karen & Gerard
The Choice, the first in the “Secrets in Lancaster” series by Suzanne Woods Fisher is about romance in an Amish community along with Englishers. This is an enjoyable read with a love triangle and some hard times that work out for good. It is a story of faith, mercy and forgiveness with several interesting characters and a bit of humor. As an Amish girl, Carry must choose to run off with Sol as he pursues a professional baseball career as a pitcher, an Amish boy who has not yet been baptized that ...more
Ashley
The Choice by Suzanne Woods Fisher is a cute book with a strong moral center (as one would expect from a work of Amish Fiction). Once Fisher found her writing groove, about 25% into the book, it became a very enjoyable read but the first 25% was so rushed and forced that it was hard to get back into it for a while. Nothing in the novel (characters, plot, etc) was very deep so this ended up just being an easy read, with a lot of depressing moments, and with a happy ending.

The book opens with the
Paula-O
wonderful story by Suzanne Woods Fisher book #1 in the Lancaster co secrets, "Choice", this was about Carrie and the choices she had to make in her life. I like reading bout the simple life of the amish and sometimes in maturing they make choices that arent always the best ones and then have to live with those choices. This is something we all have to do in our lives. I am ready for book #2 to see how these choices made some of the folks lives change, was it for better or worse???
Janice Aitkens
This is the 1st book in the series & found it very good, i enjoyed the twists & turns not your typical book with the different people in the book
My only moan was i felt the ending could have been dealt with better now not sure if they will be carried over in to the other books in the series, i did like the ending for Emma
Fans of Amish Fic...: March's Book - The Choice by Suzanne Woods Fisher 20 34 May 12, 2012 10:37PM
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • Plain Perfect (Daughters of the Promise, #1)
  • A Man of His Word (Hearts of Middlefield, #1)
  • Abigail's New Hope (Wayne County, #1)
  • The Hope of Refuge
  • Sarah's Garden (Patch of Heaven, #1)
  • A Time to Love (Quilts of Lancaster County, #1)
  • Paradise Valley (Daughters of Caleb Bender, #1)
  • Somewhere to Belong (Daughters of Amana, #1)
  • Beside Still Waters (The Big Sky Series, #1)
  • A Merry Heart (Brides of Lancaster County, #1)
  • The Amish Midwife (The Women of Lancaster County, #1)
  • A Simple Amish Christmas
  • Hidden (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
  • The Secret (Seasons of Grace, #1)
1922565
Suzanne Woods Fisher is the bestselling, award winning author of fiction and non-fiction books about the Old Order Amish for Revell Books, host of the radio-show-turned-blog Amish Wisdom, a columnist for Christian Post and Cooking & Such magazine.

Her interest in the Amish began with her grandfather, who was raised Plain. A theme in her books (her life!) is that you don’t have to “go Amish” to
More about Suzanne Woods Fisher...

Lancaster County Secrets (3 books)
  • The Waiting (Lancaster County Secrets, #2)
  • The Search (Lancaster County Secrets, #3)
The Waiting (Lancaster County Secrets, #2) A Lancaster County Christmas The Keeper The Search (Lancaster County Secrets, #3) The Haven (Stoney Ridge Seasons #2)

“Would she ever learn to be content in this life she chose? She felt so strange inside. Sad and lonely and missing the life she thought she would have.” 1 likes
“What do I need? Something for my soul that I can’t seem to find.” 1 likes