Tallulah: My Autobiography

Tallulah: My Autobiography

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Tallulah: My Autobiography by Tallulah Bankhead In her own words, the life of the inimitable actress known for her daring ways and distinctive foghorn voice Her grandfather was a U. S. senator. Her uncle was a U. S. congressman. Her father was Speaker of the House. Although born to privilege in Alabama and groomed in a convent school, Tallulah Bankhead resolved not to be j...more
Published July 7th 2004 by University Press of Mississippi (first published 1951)

Jennifer  Sciolino-Moore
An autobiography. Not the best, not the worst. I was bored at times. It was a bit like a listing of events.

Tallulah was bawdy and capricious and brash. She seemed to downplay each of the major events in her life, almost as if to apologize for them. Maybe the tamer version is the true version. Who knows. I'm not above admitting that I prefer the picture in my mind to the watered down version she purported to be. Isn't fantasy usually preferable to reality?
Subi
This was originally at 35 cent paperback, 1959. She was quite a character!
Bryant Whelan
This was a fascinating read, not a scholarly bio but interesting to read about a gal who hails from the south and becomes a name on the entertainment and social set in NYC. Who could not be fascinated by a woman named Tallulah Bankhead?
D
Told as if she's at a cocktail party and sharing stories. Some funny stuff. She manages to be somewhat self-effacing. Tough job for an actress.
Gaile
This was first published in 1952 and went into another edition in 1953 and I think 1957. I read it in 1957.
Norman
This book is a fun read. She is a terrific wordsmith, and she had some wonderful stories.
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Linda Martin
Linda Martin marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Samantha Glasser
Samantha Glasser marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Cassandra
Cassandra marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Ddbrks
Ddbrks added it
Jun 07, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Lesley Nadwodnik
Lesley Nadwodnik is currently reading it
May 30, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Sherry
Sherry added it
Jul 03, 2014
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Desiree Colson
Desiree Colson marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Melinda
Melinda is currently reading it
Apr 19, 2014
Kathy Jacobs
Kathy Jacobs marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Sofia
Sofia marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
nymfaux
nymfaux marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Tallulah: My Autobiography Baseball: A Literary Anthology

“My father warned me about men and booze, but he never mentioned a word about women and cocaine.” 12 likes