Start by marking “Invisible Heroes: Survivors of Trauma and How They Heal” as Want to Read:
Invisible Heroes: Survivors of Trauma and How They Heal

Invisible Heroes: Survivors of Trauma and How They Heal

If you or someone you love has suffered a traumatic event, you know the devastating impact it can have on your life and your spirit. Life-threatening accidents, illnesses, assaults, abusive relationships—or a tragedy like 9/11—all can leave deep emotional wounds that persist long after physical scars have healed. Survivors become “invisible heroes,” courageously struggling ...more
Published December 18th 2007 by Bantam (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Invisible Heroes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invisible Heroes

Ashlee Foster
Feb 10, 2014 Ashlee Foster rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book in the past, but it's amazing how much information you look passed, when you're not ready to see it. I started reading this book last night and finished it this afternoon, highlighting what felt like the entire book. This book is an incredible resource for those suffering from PTSD or have a loved one suffering. From the biological components of how the brain is impacted, to the healing possibilities available, each page helps you get one step closer to knowing where your p ...more
Erika
Jul 30, 2016 Erika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best, most comprehensive & user-friendly guides to understanding and treating post-traumatic stress disorder. Appropriate for clinicians and clients and everyone in between. Her descriptions of what happens in the brain and body during a traumatic event are captivatingly poetic. Her suggestions for how best to heal and reclaim your life are practical, prescriptive and clear. The spine on my copy will be creased for sure as I use it to help others.
Stephanie
Jan 14, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
PTSD a is a difficult monster to deal with. It's excellent that we can hack the brain well enough to survive it. Help and hope are not only there, but healing PTSD in our decade is incredibly achievable. The book explains the what and the how well.
May 10, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was able to listen to one of her guided imageries on cd and it was a really cool experience. I'd recommend it if you have the chance!
Moonstone
Dec 29, 2014 Moonstone rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sold-on
Although the book is well written and explains the process and recovery of PTSD it perhaps was not the right time for me to be reading it. I found myself skipping sections that I could see were dreadful experiences from trauma survivors. The guided imagery techniques in the last sections could be useful but I prefer to listen to CD`s, I could not imagine recording myself reading these to play back and listen to. ...more
Victoria Campbell
It's a difficult book to read because there are triggers. So I took my time. Belleruth Naperstak has done amazing work with PTSD and child abuse that later causes problems in adulthood. I use her guided imagery which i how I became aware of this book.

Ultimately, it is very helpful to Adult Children or survivors. It also helps explain to significant others how it feels at times when you don't feel "safe"
Rachel
Apr 12, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I originally began this book because I was using it to work with some clients who had had various trauma. With some clients it was useful, with other clients it was far too triggering. This is interesting where it goes back and forth the first half of the book with clients discussing their trauma and reactions and how getting help changed them. The second half of the book is more scientific based, research and recovery options, nonetheless still interesting and important.
Laura Vanhook
Jul 10, 2015 Laura Vanhook rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
if you've ever encountered PTSD either personally or from a family member or friend this is the book to read it'll help you in ways that no Counseling can and tell you where and places to get help should you need. it has a companion CD specifically for PTSD individuals.
Karen Lawrence
Nov 14, 2010 Karen Lawrence rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powerful stories, eye-opening research into the treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder.
Stefan
May 07, 2013 Stefan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good. definite insights into various aspects of PTSD and its alleviation. Written by someone who clearly is an outstanding therapist.
Jenn
Aug 17, 2015 Jenn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I feel badly giving this book such a low rating. Perhaps I'm just not "in tune" with the idea of guided imagery just yet.
Clivemichael
Great resource, well written.
Jocelyn
very insightful
Lisa Craddock
Lisa Craddock rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2013
Annemarie Lewis
Annemarie Lewis rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Athena
Athena rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
May 24, 2008
Dagmar
Dagmar rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Enid
Enid rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2011
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2014
Katherine Driskell
Katherine Driskell rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2015
Natassja
Natassja rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2014
Niki Mathias
Niki Mathias rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2015
Stephanie Corbett
Stephanie Corbett rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2012
Jo Moon
Jo Moon rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2015
Jaime
Jaime rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2008
Maria
Maria rated it liked it
May 25, 2011
Lexie Swift
Lexie Swift rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2014
Angela Michels
Angela Michels rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2014
Macy Ceballos
Macy Ceballos rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • I Can't Get Over It: A Handbook for Trauma Survivors
  • Healing Trauma
  • Treating Complex Traumatic Stress Disorders (Adults): An Evidence-Based Guide
  • Breaking Down the Wall of Silence: The Liberating Experience of Facing Painful Truth
  • The Power of Your Other Hand: A Course in Channeling the Inner Wisdom of the Right Brain
  • Under Saturn's Shadow: The Wounding and Healing of Men (Studies in Jungian Psychology By Jungian Analysts, 63)
  • Emotional Sobriety: From Relationship Trauma to Resilience and Balance
  • Transformation: Understanding the Three Levels of Mascul
  • From Age-ing to Sage-ing: A Revolutionary Approach to Growing Older
  • Adult Children of Abusive Parents
  • Lucid Dreamer: A Waking Guide for the Traveler Between Worlds
  • The Body Bears the Burden: Trauma, Dissociation, and Disease
  • Why Good Things Happen to Good People: The Exciting New Research that Proves the Link Between Doing Good and Living a Longer, Healthier, Happier Life
  • Interpersonal Process in Therapy: An Integrative Model