Start by marking “The Perfect Liar” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Liar

The Perfect Liar (Last Stand #5)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  710 ratings  ·  58 reviews

When air force captain Luke Trussell opens his door one Sunday morning, he's shocked to find the police--and even more shocked when they charge him with rape. He knows he made a mistake in judgment the night before, but he certainly didn't force his attentions on the woman who's been stalking him for months.
Problem is...Karina Harter has the bruises--and the DNA evidence-
Published September 1st 2009 by Mira Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Liar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Perfect Liar

willaful
Novak writes a good creepy story, but I keep feeling like she doesn't think things through enough. This was almost a wallbanger for me, because I was so infuriated by the hero: the dude is falsely accused of rape, yet persists in acting in an utterly sleezy, potentially threatening manner to the heroine Ava, who is representing the supposed rape victim. Ava, being Too Stupid To Live, doesn't seem to notice how scary he is and even tells him where she lives before she can be entirely sure he's in ...more
Pat Cromwell
She did it again. I am so loving Brenda Novak!!! I didn't think it possible she could create a more despicable villain then Collin who appeared in THe Perfect Neigbor (see my review), but she did. BIG TIME! And she did an amazing job with Luke and Ava, the two poor smucks at the mercy of the deranged Kalyna aka The Perfect liar.

My God she - Kalyna - is so twisted, so sick, so...unnatural. She is scary on so many levels! If you like a book with tunnel vision i.e. so damn good you can't turn away
Susan W
WARNING

Serious.....CRAZY BITCH in this story.....But, daaaaamn enjoyable to read!

Take Demi Moore from Disclosure and Glenn Close from Fatal Attraction and wham, you got the crazy bitch Kalyna from The Perfect Liar

The poor guy got some bad news then went to bar and ended up hooking up with the wrong girl ......the very wrong girl. She is obsessed with him, she stalks him. She thinks this will make him love her. She says he raped her. He WILL fall in love with me, he just needs time.

OMG.....I
MuchAdo
Anne Holly
I have no idea how to rate this, since I have major issues with the subject matter - false rape allegations are already pretty legendary in the popular imagination, so it's problematic to make entertainment out of one. Nevertheless, once I got over the squick factor, I found this a danged compelling read for the most part, despite myself.

It works much better as a thriller than a romance, because yuck - even if you have reason to believe the guy is innocent, why would you jump him while the alleg
Christine Page
I liked the book but what innocent person being stalked by a crazy lady who accuses him of raping her, has her do his laundry? That was too much for me and made no sense.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
4 STARS

"Obsession leads to lies.

When air force captain Luke Trussell opens his door one Sunday morning, he's shocked to find the police - and even more shocked when they charge him with rape. He knows he made a mistake in judgment the night before, but he certainly didn't force his attentions on the woman who's been stalking him for months.

Problem is.Karina Harter has the bruises - and the DNA evidence - to make her claim convincing.

And lies can lead to murder.

Determined to isolate Luke, Karina
Suzanne Barrett
I admit to being a Brenda Novak fan. In fact, I've read almost all her books. In this latest series set in Sacramento, three women, victims themselves, have banded together to form a victims charity defense for women facing similar situations.

Book two, The Perfect Liar, is edgy and well written. As in the first book, the reader is aware who the antagonist is. Novak has a knack for keeping up the suspense and for showing the evil that lurks beneath the surface of her villains.

Ava Bixby takes on t
Meigan
Good story, reminds me of when people say, "What a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive". That fits perfectly, and I was reminded of that phrase from the spiderweb on the cover.

Luke is falsely accused of rape by a woman who is infatuated with him. Obsessed to the point that she relays her story to anyone who will listen, including Ava Bixby of The Last Stand victims charity. Many people soon realize that Kalyna may not be the victim, but is actually the tormentor. Ava soon swi
Manda Collins
This is the fifth book in Brenda Novak's Last Stand series, but could easily be read without having read the previous books. The story is chilling because it's pretty easy to see how a manipulator like the villain could convince the police and DA's office that she'd actually been raped. And nearly ruin her victim's life in the process.

The romance, though the hero and heroine didn't meet until a third of the way through the book, was more intense and romantic than in THE PERFECT COUPLE (#4). And
Pamela
This was an interesting book which moved at a fast pace. What I love about the villain in this book is that it's a woman. Nice change.

Luke ends up having a one night stand with Kalyna which he totally regrets as she now claims that he raped and physically abused her. He left her in the middle of the night fine and well. But that's the problem. She wants him all night every night and she'll do whatever it takes to get him even if that means destroying his life personally and professionally. If h
Glenajo
I loved this book because it examines a rarely discussed problem created with the fight against mistreating women and children. Now that women feel less shame connected with a rape, some unscrupulous women are 'crying rape' just to cause problems for someone else. Though rarely happens, it does happen. Luke Trussell is the victim of just such an instance. Kalyna Harter is upset because Luke does not fall in love with her. Ava Bixby of The Last Stand, a victim's charity, Comes to the aid of Kalyn ...more
Rebecca Hollingsworth
Excellent addition

The author does it again in the exciting and compelling novel that has all the twists and turns that we all love.
Livia
A outstanding romantic suspense novel. The character Kalyna Harter is frightfully is chilling!
Alexa
It's was a good book very addicting I couldn't stop reading it. I was sad when I turned to the last page
Peggy
Wow it was awesome from start to finish.
Another winer is what i say.
It was like a tingle web leves you saying wow and oh no and how weard and i can't beleave she did that.
But the ending leves you saying oh man wow and ya and all kinds of outjer stuff.
I say this each time if you have never tead A Brenda Novak book you are missing out on some great reading here her books are great.
Each book is a difrent story each book foces on that person not the ones before.
They ate great reads and keep you
Alondra Germán
No se sí sentir odio o pena por Kalyna, muy muy buen libro
Jeanne
What a story! Air Force Captain Luke Trussell has been charged with rape. After drinking too much he had sex with Kalyna Harter, not much more than a one night stand to him. She thinks differently. And when he wouldn't stay the night she put an elaborate plan into action to get him to be with her. She goes to The Last Stand, a victims advocate firm and tells her side of the event to Ava Bixby. Ava soon realizes Kalyna is lying and she's defending the wrong victim. Switching side will be dangerou ...more
Sharon
Lots of twists and turns. Were they all believable? Maybe, maybe not, but I was happy to go along for the ride.
Paige Tracey
Good and a little disturbing
Melanie Chabrol-
Excellent book, could not put it down, it is a series, and had to order it thru halequin.
What would you do for love,
Luke did not know when he opened the door that his worse nightmare came true, he is accused of rape.
HOw could he prove that he is innocent and the victim is lying. Why would anyone lie about being raped, will we ever find out who is telling the truth, the ending could have been better but it should continue in THE PERFECT MURDER
Lhenry
I haven't read the others in this series, but it stood alone quite well. I almost always like reversals in the usual woman is stalked or in danger some how, so I suspected I would like this one, and I did, but I was a little disappointed that it wound up being a woman in danger at the end. Nevertheless, it was a good story. Had a few surprises for me, which was a plus. The hero was rather passive which lost a few points, but all in all a good read
Cherise
There hasn't been much romance in books 4 and 5 of this series, but the suspense and the mystery are outstanding and her villains are as creepy as they come, because they are everyday people with a few screws loose.
The romance portion, like I said, has been lacking and they aren't as believable as they have been in previous stories. They seem a bit rushed.
Even with the romance lacking, it's still a page turner and hard to set down.
Patt
Another riveting book in Brenda Novak's "Last Stand" series. When you start one, you just can't put it down. This time, Ava, one of the new employees at The Last Stand gets involved with a female stalker who claims she's been raped. Several murders occur before the climax. A good read!
Erin
Fast paced, but the romance felt forced (I hate books where the male protagonist starts out by thinking the woman is unattractive), and the craziness of the evil protagonist was a little too much at times. Fun twist ending, but I'm not going to read the rest of the Last Stand books.
Chiio
Me encantó!
Kalyna esta completamente chiflada...lo que hace el amor pff!
me gusto por que no es solo la historia de amor Luke & Ava, ¡Tiene Trama! :O y Muy buena, me estaba mordiendo las uñas de la emoción, buen suspense, muy fluido y sencillo pero bien entretenido, me gusto :)
Doug Branscombe
This was one of those books that kept me on edge, not just because the story was fast moving, but because the entire story unfolds after a woman falsely accuses a man of raping her, turning his world upside down trying to prove his innocence.
Heather
Brenda Novak is a new author to me, and I love her style of writing. The characters come alive in "Perfect Liar" and you don't want to put it down. The plot is fast-paced and essentially what a thriller should be. I highly recommend Novak's books.
Danielle
It was an ok book. I don't like her style where you have all the facts and know who the killer is, the characters just have to catch up with the killer. It is kind of boring. The interesting romances are the only things that keep me going.
Sue
Very good read. As usual Brenda Novak doesn't dissapoint. She has you from the very begining of the book all the way till the end. And she know how to fit all her Last Stand series together very well. Would highly recomend this book.
  • No Escape (Delta Force, #3)
  • Hunt Her Down (Bullet Catcher, #7)
  • Unforgivable (Tracers #3)
  • Crossfire (High Risk #2)
  • The Rapids (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #3)
  • Don't Let Go (SEAL Team 12, #5)
  • Nameless (Less Series, #2)
  • Dark Room (Pete 'Monty' Montgomery, #2)
  • Dying for You (The Protectors, #30)
  • Loose and Easy (Steele Street, #9)
It was a shocking experience that jump-started Brenda Novak’s bestselling author career.

“I caught my day-care provider drugging my children with cough syrup and Tylenol to get them to sleep while I was away,” Brenda says. “It was then that I decided that I needed to do something from home.”

However, writing was the last profession she expected to undertake. In fact, Brenda swears she didn’t have a
More about Brenda Novak...

Last Stand (6 books)
  • Trust Me (Last Stand Series, #1)
  • Stop Me (Last Stand Series, #2)
  • Watch Me (Last Stand Series, #3)
  • The Perfect Couple (Last Stand Series, #4)
  • The Perfect Murder (Last Stand Series,  #6)
When Lightning Strikes (Whiskey Creek, #1) When We Touch (Whiskey Creek, #0.5) Trust Me (Last Stand Series, #1) When Snow Falls (Whiskey Creek, #2) When Summer Comes (Whiskey Creek, #3)