Start by marking “The Perfect Liar (The Last Stand, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Liar (The Last Stand, #5)

The Perfect Liar (The Last Stand #5)

When air force captain Luke Trussell opens his door one Sunday morning, he's shocked to find the police--and even more shocked when they charge him with rape. He knows he made a mistake in judgment the night before, but he certainly didn't force his attentions on the woman who's been stalking him for months.
Problem is...Karina Harter has the bruises--and the DNA evidence-
Published September 1st 2009 by Mira Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Liar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Perfect Liar

Leslie
REREAD :)

If you're looking for a good thrill don't miss this one. It has a crazy stalker chick and she is absolutely cray cray. I really enjoyed this one. :)
willaful
Novak writes a good creepy story, but I keep feeling like she doesn't think things through enough. This was almost a wallbanger for me, because I was so infuriated by the hero: the dude is falsely accused of rape, yet persists in acting in an utterly sleezy, potentially threatening manner to the heroine Ava, who is representing the supposed rape victim. Ava, being Too Stupid To Live, doesn't seem to notice how scary he is and even tells him where she lives before she can be entirely sure he's in ...more
Susan W
WARNING

Serious.....CRAZY BITCH in this story.....But, daaaaamn enjoyable to read!

Take Demi Moore from Disclosure and Glenn Close from Fatal Attraction and wham, you got the crazy bitch Kalyna from The Perfect Liar

The poor guy got some bad news then went to bar and ended up hooking up with the wrong girl ......the very wrong girl. She is obsessed with him, she stalks him. She thinks this will make him love her. She says he raped her. He WILL fall in love with me, he just needs time.

OMG.....I
MuchAdo
Sep 09, 2016 MuchAdo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, tstl-hero
Pat Cromwell
Sep 03, 2009 Pat Cromwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
She did it again. I am so loving Brenda Novak!!! I didn't think it possible she could create a more despicable villain then Collin who appeared in THe Perfect Neigbor (see my review), but she did. BIG TIME! And she did an amazing job with Luke and Ava, the two poor smucks at the mercy of the deranged Kalyna aka The Perfect liar.

My God she - Kalyna - is so twisted, so sick, so...unnatural. She is scary on so many levels! If you like a book with tunnel vision i.e. so damn good you can't turn away
Lhenry
Jun 05, 2012 Lhenry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read the others in this series, but it stood alone quite well. I almost always like reversals in the usual woman is stalked or in danger some how, so I suspected I would like this one, and I did, but I was a little disappointed that it wound up being a woman in danger at the end. Nevertheless, it was a good story. Had a few surprises for me, which was a plus. The hero was rather passive which lost a few points, but all in all a good read
Marianchu
Lo lamento pero aunque el argumento prometía bastante no ha llegado a calarme ni el desarrollo de la historia ni los personajes, aún así ha resultado una lectura entretenida, pero no a la altura de lo que me tiene acostumbrada esta autora.
Mi puntuación 6,5.
Christine Page
I liked the book but what innocent person being stalked by a crazy lady who accuses him of raping her, has her do his laundry? That was too much for me and made no sense.
Ayu Wirdha
LAST STAND 5 - BRENDA Novak
Seharusnya siapa yang bersalah tidak perlu dijelaskan di awal secara gamblang, biarkan pelan - pelan pembaca menebak2 walaupun sudah tau kalau Luke adalah hero-nya & tidak "mungkin" melakukan pemerkosaan & pemukulan. Saya ingat miniseri TV Malibu 2000 yang create oleh Sidney Sheldon, salah satu dari 3 karakter utama adalah lawyer yang membela seorang laki-laki yang dituduh sebagai pemerkosa. Sampai bagian terakhir pun saya masih ragu ini laki2 jahat atau tidak
Anne Holly
I have no idea how to rate this, since I have major issues with the subject matter - false rape allegations are already pretty legendary in the popular imagination, so it's problematic to make entertainment out of one. Nevertheless, once I got over the squick factor, I found this a danged compelling read for the most part, despite myself.

It works much better as a thriller than a romance, because yuck - even if you have reason to believe the guy is innocent, why would you jump him while the alleg
Meigan
Good story, reminds me of when people say, "What a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive". That fits perfectly, and I was reminded of that phrase from the spiderweb on the cover.

Luke is falsely accused of rape by a woman who is infatuated with him. Obsessed to the point that she relays her story to anyone who will listen, including Ava Bixby of The Last Stand victims charity. Many people soon realize that Kalyna may not be the victim, but is actually the tormentor. Ava soon swi
Suzanne Barrett
Mar 21, 2011 Suzanne Barrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I admit to being a Brenda Novak fan. In fact, I've read almost all her books. In this latest series set in Sacramento, three women, victims themselves, have banded together to form a victims charity defense for women facing similar situations.

Book two, The Perfect Liar, is edgy and well written. As in the first book, the reader is aware who the antagonist is. Novak has a knack for keeping up the suspense and for showing the evil that lurks beneath the surface of her villains.

Ava Bixby takes on t
fleurette
Aug 04, 2016 fleurette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, that was good! It grabbed me from the first page and kept me reading long at night. I liked the other books in this series but still was surprised with how good this one was.

I liked Luke and Ava as a couple. The fact that he is more beautiful and younger than her gave an additional vibe. They both have interesting personalties.I only wish it was more Luke at the beginning of the story, his feelings and thoughts about the case.

I also really enjoyed the suspense part. It was grabbing and ref
Kris - My Novelesque Life
4 STARS

"Obsession leads to lies.

When air force captain Luke Trussell opens his door one Sunday morning, he's shocked to find the police - and even more shocked when they charge him with rape. He knows he made a mistake in judgment the night before, but he certainly didn't force his attentions on the woman who's been stalking him for months.

Problem is.Karina Harter has the bruises - and the DNA evidence - to make her claim convincing.

And lies can lead to murder.

Determined to isolate Luke, Karina
Kapria
Jan 04, 2016 Kapria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The suspense in this novel was good. Brenda does a fine job on just that, but I can never fall for the romance she effortlessly tries to put in, in her suspense stories. I had this problem when reading The Perfect Couple. Love does not happen within a week! It just doesn't. It would have been more believable if Luke accepted his high school love back into his life, but no, we always have to delve into the cliche that the two main characters fall for each other. Like I get it, it's a nice fantasy ...more
Manda Collins
This is the fifth book in Brenda Novak's Last Stand series, but could easily be read without having read the previous books. The story is chilling because it's pretty easy to see how a manipulator like the villain could convince the police and DA's office that she'd actually been raped. And nearly ruin her victim's life in the process.

The romance, though the hero and heroine didn't meet until a third of the way through the book, was more intense and romantic than in THE PERFECT COUPLE (#4). And
Pat Welte
Sep 08, 2016 Pat Welte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like Brenda Novak's books. I care about the characters or really don't like them. There were plenty of both. I read this 5th book in this series first and now will be looking for the rest of them before I read anymore of this series.
Pamela
This was an interesting book which moved at a fast pace. What I love about the villain in this book is that it's a woman. Nice change.

Luke ends up having a one night stand with Kalyna which he totally regrets as she now claims that he raped and physically abused her. He left her in the middle of the night fine and well. But that's the problem. She wants him all night every night and she'll do whatever it takes to get him even if that means destroying his life personally and professionally. If h
Kath
Jan 15, 2016 Kath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un libro muy interesante, parecido a la película atracción fatal. Tiene varios giros de trama y eso me gustó, la antagonista es un personaje complejo e interesante como objeto de estudio psicológico.
Amo a los hombres como Trussel caballerosos, amorosos, simpáticos carismáticos, prácticamente perfectos, lastima que no existen como él en la realidad. El personaje Ava no me pareció particularmente interesante no tenia nada que me atrajera solo es el típico personaje de mujer que ha pasado por cosa
Glenajo
Jun 24, 2011 Glenajo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book because it examines a rarely discussed problem created with the fight against mistreating women and children. Now that women feel less shame connected with a rape, some unscrupulous women are 'crying rape' just to cause problems for someone else. Though rarely happens, it does happen. Luke Trussell is the victim of just such an instance. Kalyna Harter is upset because Luke does not fall in love with her. Ava Bixby of The Last Stand, a victim's charity, Comes to the aid of Kalyn ...more
Jeanne
Oct 24, 2013 Jeanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a story! Air Force Captain Luke Trussell has been charged with rape. After drinking too much he had sex with Kalyna Harter, not much more than a one night stand to him. She thinks differently. And when he wouldn't stay the night she put an elaborate plan into action to get him to be with her. She goes to The Last Stand, a victims advocate firm and tells her side of the event to Ava Bixby. Ava soon realizes Kalyna is lying and she's defending the wrong victim. Switching side will be dangerou ...more
Peggy
Aug 27, 2012 Peggy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow it was awesome from start to finish.
Another winer is what i say.
It was like a tingle web leves you saying wow and oh no and how weard and i can't beleave she did that.
But the ending leves you saying oh man wow and ya and all kinds of outjer stuff.
I say this each time if you have never tead A Brenda Novak book you are missing out on some great reading here her books are great.
Each book is a difrent story each book foces on that person not the ones before.
They ate great reads and keep you
Cherise
Oct 27, 2009 Cherise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There hasn't been much romance in books 4 and 5 of this series, but the suspense and the mystery are outstanding and her villains are as creepy as they come, because they are everyday people with a few screws loose.
The romance portion, like I said, has been lacking and they aren't as believable as they have been in previous stories. They seem a bit rushed.
Even with the romance lacking, it's still a page turner and hard to set down.
Melanie Chabrol-
Excellent book, could not put it down, it is a series, and had to order it thru halequin.
What would you do for love,
Luke did not know when he opened the door that his worse nightmare came true, he is accused of rape.
HOw could he prove that he is innocent and the victim is lying. Why would anyone lie about being raped, will we ever find out who is telling the truth, the ending could have been better but it should continue in THE PERFECT MURDER
Maria Jose
Jun 07, 2016 Maria Jose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tercera vez que lo releo y creo que es el mejor de la serie por tercera vez. Todos ellos me gustan, pero en este caso el protagonista masculino es peculiar por muchas razones que no diré, solo apunto que él sí busca compromiso. Perfecto equilibrio entre romance y misterio. Tensión en amabas tramas hasta el final.
Melissa A.S.
This novel is not about rape, it’s about a psychologically, emotionally deranged woman who uses every trick in her book (no pun intended), including rape. The characters are not well-developed, but likable, at least you find a few people to root for. This is not groundbreaking literature, but it’s a nice enough novel to cozy up to.
Keesha Strickland Mance
This was my first novel reading by Novak. I was actually looking for the book with the same title by Nora Roberts. I came across this one and checked it out as well. Good thing! I liked it a lot. If you like Lifetime stalker movies, this one is right up your alley. It moved fast and escalated quickly. I am already looking into her other stories. Very satisfying!
Heather
Sep 24, 2009 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brenda Novak is a new author to me, and I love her style of writing. The characters come alive in "Perfect Liar" and you don't want to put it down. The plot is fast-paced and essentially what a thriller should be. I highly recommend Novak's books.
Erin
Jun 08, 2012 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced, but the romance felt forced (I hate books where the male protagonist starts out by thinking the woman is unattractive), and the craziness of the evil protagonist was a little too much at times. Fun twist ending, but I'm not going to read the rest of the Last Stand books.
Chiio
Apr 11, 2013 Chiio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me encantó!
Kalyna esta completamente chiflada...lo que hace el amor pff!
me gusto por que no es solo la historia de amor Luke & Ava, ¡Tiene Trama! :O y Muy buena, me estaba mordiendo las uñas de la emoción, buen suspense, muy fluido y sencillo pero bien entretenido, me gusto :)
  • Midnight Fear (Chasing Evil, #2)
  • Bad Penny (Cat Dupree, #3)
  • Hunt Her Down (Bullet Catcher, #7)
  • Measure of Darkness (Randall Shane, #4)
  • Tattooed (Kate Lange #3)
  • Everywhere She Turns
  • The Rapids (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #3)
  • One Wrong Step (The Borderline, #2)
  • Don't Let Go (SEAL Team 12, #5)
  • Silver Falls
  • Crossfire (High Risk #2)
  • Bad Moon Rising
It was a shocking experience that jump-started Brenda Novak’s bestselling author career.

“I caught my day-care provider drugging my children with cough syrup and Tylenol to get them to sleep while I was away,” Brenda says. “It was then that I decided that I needed to do something from home.”

However, writing was the last profession she expected to undertake. In fact, Brenda swears she didn’t have a
More about Brenda Novak...

The Last Stand (6 books)
  • Trust Me (The Last Stand, #1)
  • Stop Me (The Last Stand, #2)
  • Watch Me (The Last Stand, #3)
  • The Perfect Couple (The Last Stand, #4)
  • The Perfect Murder (The Last Stand, #6)