Start by marking “The Afterlife Experiments: Breakthrough Scientific Evidence of Life After Death” as Want to Read:
The Afterlife Experiments: Breakthrough Scientific Evidence of Life After Death

The Afterlife Experiments: Breakthrough Scientific Evidence of Life After Death

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  256 ratings  ·  26 reviews
After a foreword by Deepak Chopra, The Afterlife Experiments wades into the most contentious and faith-charged of all questions: Is there life after death? Psychology professor Gary E. Schwartz of the University of Arizona doesn't just believe that we survive our demise; he thinks that he can prove it scientifically. These proofs have made Dr. Schwartz a very popular autho ...more
Published March 13th 2002 by Atria Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Afterlife Experiments, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Afterlife Experiments

Jessica
Bought this book after reading it at the library. I've noticed in reading the other comments that some haven't liked that it was overloaded by data, which for me was what makes it even more compelling. The methods used are made available for you to decide for yourself if you accept these findings as evidence of the afterlife or not. After analyzing the data myself, coupled with a few bizarre experiences in my everyday life, I'd say there is sufficient evidence to the probability that there is in ...more
Christa
The author of this book is actually my professor and I'm taking a class on it. It's been very interesting in deed and has open me up to a lot of possibilities. I found this book very interesting and a good read. I recommend it to all people who are open to this kind of thing.
Candace Talmadge
Jul 17, 2014 Candace Talmadge marked it as have-not-finished  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't complete this excellent book because at a certain point I felt like crying out loud, "Enough already! You are so stuck in the science box that even evidence that would be acclaimed as breakthrough in any other field still isn't good enough in this subject." If you are stuck in the science box yet open minded enough to consider the possibility that psychic senses may be real and valid, by all means give it a go. It's full of enough research protocols and academic buzzwords to satisfy m ...more
Gus diZerega
I had always thought that the scientific method was ill suited to exploring some of the more far-out aspects of consciousness, such as apparent contacts with those who have died. When a retired physicist recommended this book, I began quite skeptically. But in my view it really does provide powerful evidence that 'life' after death exists. The book earns its subtitle.

Very interesting to me was that with every successful test the author increased the difficulties for the next. He even at one poin
Philip Fracassi
If you read a lot about Near Death Experiences, the Afterlife, or any sort of spiritual (in the non-theological sense, or not) non-fiction, I would recommend avoiding this book.

It's all about these experiments done with mediums, which is fine, but you can tell the scientist behind it all has a bit of an agenda, despite his constant protestations to the contrary, and it makes me feel like I'm reading a bit of a shell game, rather than a pamphlet.

He sort of overloads the whole thing with data, as
Roberta Grimes
Gary E. Schwartz used traditional scientific methods to study psychic mediums with remarkable success. He subjected some of the most prominent living mediums to double-blind and triple-blind experiments, and he found in some cases that the odds against chance for the results of their readings were in the multiple millions to one.
Nancy
Regardless of your spiritual beliefs, even if you have none, this is a great read. The "science" is written for liberal arts majors, and the concepts are riveting. If you are wondering 'what comes next', this is a good place to start your exploration. Also, the author doesn't try to dissuade the reader from religion either, so avid believers shouldn't be scared away. In my opinion, this book helps marry concepts of science and spirituality.
Tina King
The Afterlife Experiments follows a psychologist who risks his entire career and credibility in the academic community to answer a question posed by his girlfriend. She wanted to know if he thought her recently-deceased father's soul could still be near her.

This led him to design a series of experiments, increasingly stringent in the Scientific Method, to find the answer.

A really, really good read. I've read it twice.
Victoria
This was an interesting book if you like the idea of ESP. The book is about trying to scientifically figure out if psychic powers are real or just a hoax. There are a number of interesting experiments that are done to try and prove or disprove this ability. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is intrigued by the thought of psychic powers.
Tkay
Have read a number books on the subject of the afterlife. This is by far the best from the 'proof' point of view. If you are struggling with the concept I thoroughly recommend this book. Brought (and continues to bring) and great deal of comfort to me.
Melissa
Fantastic book - loved the scientific process and how it was presented, as well as the results! It's not often that I keep reading past "the end" and through the appendices, too : )
Erika
I know you all probably think I am crazy with all this afterlife reading I've been doing! Even if you think it is bunk...it is still an interesting read!
Liza Rosas
A great book...just leaves us with the same questions that I had before I started it...interesting statistics about mediums...an eye opener for the skeptics...
Alyson
truly interesting. I have always been fascinated with this stuff, but this book made me think maybe there is something to it all!
Louis
Interesting experiments in the afterlife. Of course it all comes down to faith, but this was indeed interesting.
Lisa Cole
This book was intriguing to say the least. Leaves the reader with many more questions and curiosities...
Erin
Michele wants this one, so I'm reading it now.

I'll save my review for after book club.
Janiece Kiedrowski
If you ever had doubt of life after death, this is THE book to read. Awesome!
Susie
This book helped me through one of the most difficult experiences of my life.
joy
Jul 13, 2007 joy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: doubters!!
The most scientific yet easily explained book I've ever read on this subject.
Mary
I'm a believer. I love getting positive reinforcement.
Ray
Overview: scientific study of mediumship.
Bob
Very interesting and thought provoking.
Ken
OVER FILLED WITH RAW DATA.
Robert Roberto
Robert Roberto is currently reading it
Oct 31, 2014
Nalana Maxhuni
Nalana Maxhuni marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
  • The ESP Enigma: The Scientific Case for Psychic Phenomena
  • The Science of God: The Convergence of Scientific and Biblical Wisdom
  • The God Theory: Universes, Zero-point Fields, And What's Behind It All
  • Magic and Mystery in Tibet
  • What Happens When We Die?: A Groundbreaking Study into the Nature of Life and Death
  • Destiny of Souls: New Case Studies of Life Between Lives
  • The Holy Science
  • On Life After Death
  • Muses, Madmen, and Prophets: Rethinking the History, Science, and Meaning of Auditory Hallucination
  • Graveyard: More Terrifying Than Stephen King - Because It's True!
  • The Mozart Effect: Tapping the Power of Music to Heal the Body, Strengthen the Mind, and Unlock the Creative Spirit
  • Why God Won't Go Away: Brain Science and the Biology of Belief
Gary E. Schwartz, Ph.D., is Professor of Psychology, Medicine, Neurology, Psychiatry, and Surgery at the University of Arizona, at the main campus in Tucson. In addition to teaching courses on health and spiritual psychology, he is the Director of the Laboratory for Advances in Consciousness and Health.

Gary received his Ph.D. in psychology from Harvard University in 1971 and was an assistant profe
More about Gary E. Schwartz...
Truth About Medium: Extraordinary Experiments with the Real Allison Dubois of NBC's Medium and Other Remarkable Psychics The G.O.D. Experiments: How Science Is Discovering God in Everything, Including Us The Energy Healing Experiments: Science Reveals Our Natural Power to Heal The Sacred Promise: How Science Is Discovering Spirit's Collaboration with Us in Our Daily Lives The Living Energy Universe