Start by marking “Mrs. Jeffries Sweeps the Chimney” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Jeffries Sweeps the Chimney

Mrs. Jeffries Sweeps the Chimney (Mrs. Jeffries #18)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  339 ratings  ·  16 reviews
A Dirty Business ... Inspector Witherspoon is perplexed. No one seems to know the identity of the dead man dressed like a vicar and propped up against the outside wall of St Paul's Church. A paper clutched in the corpse's hand reveals the address of a dilapidated and seemingly abandoned cottage - abandoned if you don't count the human skeleton stuffed in the chimney. To li ...more
Published January 6th 2004 by Berkley Prime Crime (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Jeffries Sweeps the Chimney, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Jeffries Sweeps the Chimney

Gerry
Mrs Jeffries keeps house for Inspector Witherspoon and assists him in all his investigations. In addition she recruits all the house staff to help her so that, as well as the Inspector and his forces, there is a team of amateurs involved in every investigation.

There are two murders in this one and it is a mystery as to how they have occurred and, of course, who committed them. Well into the book Wiggans, one of the house staff, comments, 'Nothing about this case makes much sense. I can't make hi
D. Martin
I'm a fan of what my wife calls nosy old lady mysteries. They come in different varieties. Sometimes it's a spinster down the lane, or a retired librarian, or a moustached and waddling little foreigner, or a British "consulting detective" with a double brimmed cap. Either way, there's an individual who has nothing better to do than solve murders that don't involve him or her. Frankly, I don't care that they don't belong in the investigation. A killer will be uncovered, and that's what matters!

Bu
Melissa
Old school detective work with no forensics or DNA to help out, because it simply wans't invented yet! A detective's entire household staff gets on the case (without his knowledge) and put bits and pieces of the mystery together to help their boss solve a crime without ever letting him know it. Great stuff!
Carol
Disappointing - the police inspector is a bit of a dolt, and only solves crimes because his household staff figure things out. The writing is erratic - sometimes characters speak with Cockney accents, dropping their "h"s, and other times they don't.
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Duffy
In general I wanted to give this 5 stars but some of the writing in this book was off ... Problems with the story line for Smythe and some of her sentences were choppy and didn't flow as smoothly as some of her previous books. Interesting plot - but a choppy delivery. But I will definitely continue reading these ...
Cindy
I enjoyed this book more the first time I read it. I really like the characters, but I have the same problem with this book as I did with another recent read - too much interior monologue. I don't want a recap of the action several times, I just want to get on with the action. The identity of the murderer wasn't exactly a huge surprise either, but it was still a fun read.
Babs
Jan 26, 2010 Babs rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes detective stories
Just finished this 2nd book. I started this series in the middle as some of them you can not get anymore at least around here. I enjoyed seeing Mrs Jeffries and the staff help the inspector again on his new case. The more I read about the characters they more you want to know them. I will keep reading this cozy series.
Josephine
1st December 2009.

Enjoyable light read. As the Story is set in Victorian London I found the American terms and spelling a little off -putting, but the plot was interesting.
Kathryn
interesting mystery, an unusual murder and i liked the premise of the book (household staff solves the inspector's murders for him without him knowing.) i think i want to read more of the series.
Serena
My Rating System:
Christine

This might be my favorite in the series--an excellent book to enjoy late at night over a glass of sherry!
Joyce Datz
If you like mysteries, you will love her books!

Great recommendation Leslie!
Lorraine
Definitely one of the best from the series.
Pam
Nov 05, 2007 Pam marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk-mystery
11/05/07 rec via bookmooch
Irena
Irena is currently reading it
Jul 28, 2015
marrianne bigelow
marrianne bigelow marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Marloes
Marloes marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Rhonda
Rhonda marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Nikki Schellhaas
Nikki Schellhaas marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Judy Hoyt
Judy Hoyt marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
  • Dear Miss Demeanor (Claire Malloy, #3)
  • Death at Devil's Bridge (Kathryn Ardleigh, #4)
  • The Tale of Applebeck Orchard (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #6)
  • Fire When Ready (Manor House Mystery, #7)
  • Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10)
  • Mint Julep Murder (Death on Demand, #9)
  • Murder Can Spoil Your Appetite (Desiree Shapiro Mystery #7)
  • Out of the Blackout
  • The Innocence and Wisdom of Father Brown
  • His Burial Too (Inspector Sloan #5)
  • Turkey Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #7)
  • Shoot from the Lip (A Yellow Rose Mystery, #4)
  • Scones & Bones (A Tea Shop Mystery, #12)
Cheryl Lanham was born on 11 October 1948 in the Appalachian mountains of West Virginia, USA. Her family moved to Southern California in 1959 and she grew up in Pasadena. After graduating from California State University, she decided to work her way around the world and took off for England. She didn’t get much further because she met Richard James Arguile, the Englishman who became her husband, g ...more
More about Emily Brightwell...

Mrs. Jeffries (1 - 10 of 34 books)
  • The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #1)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Dusts for Clues (Mrs. Jeffries, #2)
  • The Ghost and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #3)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Takes Stock (Mrs. Jeffries, #4)
  • Mrs. Jeffries on the Ball (Mrs. Jeffries, #5)
  • Mrs. Jeffries on the Trail (Mrs. Jeffries, #6)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Plays the Cook (Mrs. Jeffries, #7)
  • Mrs. Jeffries and the Missing Alibi (Mrs. Jeffries, #8)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Stands Corrected (Mrs. Jeffries, #9)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Takes the Stage (Mrs. Jeffries, #10)
The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #1) Mrs. Jeffries Dusts for Clues (Mrs. Jeffries, #2) The Ghost and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #3) Mrs. Jeffries and the Yuletide Weddings Mrs. Jeffries and the Silent Knight (Mrs. Jeffries, #20)