Mrs. Jeffries Sweeps the Chimney

Mrs. Jeffries Sweeps the Chimney (Mrs Jeffries #18)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  269 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A Dirty Business ... Inspector Witherspoon is perplexed. No one seems to know the identity of the dead man dressed like a vicar and propped up against the outside wall of St Paul's Church. A paper clutched in the corpse's hand reveals the address of a dilapidated and seemingly abandoned cottage - abandoned if you don't count the human skeleton stuffed in the chimney. To li...more
Published January 6th 2004 by Berkley Prime Crime (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Jeffries Sweeps the Chimney, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Jeffries Sweeps the Chimney

Gerry
Mrs Jeffries keeps house for Inspector Witherspoon and assists him in all his investigations. In addition she recruits all the house staff to help her so that, as well as the Inspector and his forces, there is a team of amateurs involved in every investigation.

There are two murders in this one and it is a mystery as to how they have occurred and, of course, who committed them. Well into the book Wiggans, one of the house staff, comments, 'Nothing about this case makes much sense. I can't make hi...more
D. Martin
I'm a fan of what my wife calls nosy old lady mysteries. They come in different varieties. Sometimes it's a spinster down the lane, or a retired librarian, or a moustached and waddling little foreigner, or a British "consulting detective" with a double brimmed cap. Either way, there's an individual who has nothing better to do than solve murders that don't involve him or her. Frankly, I don't care that they don't belong in the investigation. A killer will be uncovered, and that's what matters!

Bu...more
Cindy
I enjoyed this book more the first time I read it. I really like the characters, but I have the same problem with this book as I did with another recent read - too much interior monologue. I don't want a recap of the action several times, I just want to get on with the action. The identity of the murderer wasn't exactly a huge surprise either, but it was still a fun read.
Babs
Jan 26, 2010 Babs rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes detective stories
Just finished this 2nd book. I started this series in the middle as some of them you can not get anymore at least around here. I enjoyed seeing Mrs Jeffries and the staff help the inspector again on his new case. The more I read about the characters they more you want to know them. I will keep reading this cozy series.
Melissa
Old school detective work with no forensics or DNA to help out, because it simply wans't invented yet! A detective's entire household staff gets on the case (without his knowledge) and put bits and pieces of the mystery together to help their boss solve a crime without ever letting him know it. Great stuff!
Carol
Disappointing - the police inspector is a bit of a dolt, and only solves crimes because his household staff figure things out. The writing is erratic - sometimes characters speak with Cockney accents, dropping their "h"s, and other times they don't.
Jo
1st December 2009.

Enjoyable light read. As the Story is set in Victorian London I found the American terms and spelling a little off -putting, but the plot was interesting.
Kathryn
interesting mystery, an unusual murder and i liked the premise of the book (household staff solves the inspector's murders for him without him knowing.) i think i want to read more of the series.
Christine

This might be my favorite in the series--an excellent book to enjoy late at night over a glass of sherry!
Joyce Datz
If you like mysteries, you will love her books!

Great recommendation Leslie!
Lorraine
Definitely one of the best from the series.
Pam
Nov 05, 2007 Pam marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk-mystery
11/05/07 rec via bookmooch
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Doris Pearson
Doris Pearson marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Hhkk Jui
Hhkk Jui marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Diane Macgregor
Diane Macgregor marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
  • The Witness at the Wedding (Fethering, #6)
  • Death at Blenheim Palace (Kathryn Ardleigh, #11)
  • Evan Help Us (Constable Evans, #2)
  • The Tale of Oat Cake Crag
  • Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Day the Floods Came (Agatha Raisin, #12)
  • Valentine Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery #5)
  • The Affair of the Blood-Stained Egg Cosy (Burford Family Mysteries, #1)
  • Our Lady of Pain (An Edwardian Murder Mystery #4)
  • The Gilded Shroud (A Lady Fan Mystery #1)
  • Aunt Dimity: Snowbound (Aunt Dimity #9)
  • Death on a Silver Tray (Beau Brummell, #1)
  • Dragonwell Dead (A Tea Shop Mystery, #8)
  • Face Down in the Marrow-Bone Pie (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #1)
  • Slay Bells (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #14)
Cheryl Lanham was born on 11 October 1948 in the Appalachian mountains of West Virginia, USA. Her family moved to Southern California in 1959 and she grew up in Pasadena. After graduating from California State University, she decided to work her way around the world and took off for England. She didn’t get much further because she met Richard James Arguile, the Englishman who became her husband, g...more
More about Emily Brightwell...
The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #1) Mrs. Jeffries Dusts for Clues (Mrs. Jeffries, #2) The Ghost and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #3) Mrs. Jeffries and the Silent Knight Mrs. Jeffries and the Feast of St. Stephen