Start by marking “Double Crossed: Uncovering the Catholic Church's Betrayal of American Nuns” as Want to Read:
Double Crossed: Uncovering the Catholic Church's Betrayal of American Nuns

Double Crossed: Uncovering the Catholic Church's Betrayal of American Nuns

This groundbreaking exposé of the mistreatment of nuns by the Catholic Church reveals a history of unfulfilled promises, misuse of clerical power, and a devastating failure to recognize the singular contributions of these religious women.
The Roman Catholic Church in America has lost nearly 100,000 religious sisters in the last forty years, a much greater loss than the prie
Published December 18th 2007 by Doubleday (first published June 20th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Double Crossed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Double Crossed

Chemteacher
Jan 26, 2015 Chemteacher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Engrossing study of women's religious life in the 20th century. From what I know about it (and I've read a fair amount and know people in the religious life), this isn't far off. It tells the story of the struggles and misconceptions that almost all Catholic laypeople have about the religious life of vowed women, the hardships and privileges of religious life, and attempts to trace why the collapse of women's religious life has occurred, as it most definitely has. I am very deeply of the opinion ...more
Grace
Dec 05, 2007 Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody interested in religious politics
This is an interesting little book about the post-Vatican II changes in the lives of American nuns, the ways in which many orders changed and wished to change, and the barriers that were put in their way by Catholic officials. It's all very interesting stuff to me, as I know almost nothing about Catholicism. I wanted more information about the specifics of the nuns lives in and outside convents, but I suppose that would be already known by most people interested in this book. Another interesting ...more
Khenpo Gurudas
Kenneth Briggs' groundbreaking exposé of the mistreatment of nuns and religious sisters by the Roiman Catholic Church reveals a history rife with unfulfilled promises, misuse of clerical power, and a devastating failure to recognise the important contributions women religious since the earliest days of the institution, when many of them still served as mitred abbesses (female bishops) and presided over the Eucharist, just as their brother priests did.

Remarkably, Briggs is not Roman Catholic, but
Julia
Aug 11, 2009 Julia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book tells an important story, but it doesn't tell it very well. As someone who has worked closely with sisters, I had some familiarity with the topic, and I wish the book were more compelling. For one thing, Briggs repeats things a LOT. By about the 2/3 mark, I was starting to feel like he could have said everything he had to say in a pamphlet, although it did pick up again toward the end. I would also have liked to see more info generally about different communities, why there are so many ...more
Sahara
Mar 29, 2013 Sahara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely read. I despise all religious institutions that "need" insane wealth to cover their fat asses

description

yes they need 170 billion dollars in the Americas alone...also they need "in house secretaries" to release tension!!!

also dont molest kids and certaintly dont pay these molesting priests to go on vacation

Nov 01, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone who attended Catholic schools has their own nun stories.

What I remember especially on the high school and college level is their dedication. scholarship and outstanding teaching. They were bright and strong women who always had the time to discuss class work and share ideas.

This book is a view into their personal lives and their battles with the bishops for a voice in the Catholic Church. They really have had a rough time fighting for independence from Rome on really small issues.
Ano
Sue
Jul 03, 2008 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This was really thought-provoking for me, esp. since I didn't realize how harsh a world nuns had before Vatican II, and how difficult it was to create changes. I also had different sisters I have worked with in my mind and thought about when they might have become involved with their particular orders, and what 'side' they took (pro-renewal and change or anti-renewal and change) after Vatican II. If you're Catholic and had sisters as teachers, or if you have worked with sisters, I would recommen ...more
Verukah
Jan 18, 2015 Verukah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a provacative read. A must read, in my opinion, whether you are Catholic or not. It says so much about the patriarchal church and what what they call poverty and chastity but it only seems to cover the nuns. It says a lot about a church when they do not take care of the women who taught future priests, cardinals and popes the ways of Catholicism. It's a crying shame how these godly women have been treated by the church they gave their life and service to.
Jul 27, 2011 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
A must read for anyone who wants to understand what was going on with the Sisters who taught us. It certainly was NOT what the priest told us, and really makes me disgusted with the Church I am part of. The Clergy (most) priest, Bishops, Cardinals and the Pope should all be ashamed of themselves for their political and power posturing with Christ's church!
Liddy Barlow
May 22, 2007 Liddy Barlow rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, 2007
As you might guess from the title, Briggs is awfully proud of his nun puns: the title of the chapter on changing forms of monastic dress is, of course, "Old Habits Die Hard." This book could have benefitted from some rigorous editing, as it tended to be repetitious and a little dry, but the subject matter was interesting enough that I stuck with it.
Anne Thessen
Sep 28, 2008 Anne Thessen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in women's history, history of organized religion or american history
This book was very boring, but contained some interesting facts. I knew very little about nuns or their history despite being raised Catholic. The title is misleading. (I'm beginning to suspect that authors have very little say in the titles of their books.) It's not malicious, but informative and despite dragging on in points, held my interest at times.
Alexis
Jul 22, 2009 Alexis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty sad recounting of the Catholic church's indifference and in some cases abandonment of American nuns. It gets pretty indepth and a little too technical in some spots but it is an over all interesting read.
Cheryl
I read this several years ago. It was informative, well-written, and covered a lot of ground that I was not familiar with. It is primarily about the changes caused by Vatican II in convent life and vocations.
Elizabeth
Jun 01, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I found this quite thought provoking. I did find some sections repetitive. What I particularly liked was the author's efforts to challenge stereotypes of nuns- rather to view them as individual people.
The author writes with compassion, but leaves out an important piece of the pie: he ignores male monks who have taken vows of stability which in essence make them cloistered as well. In fact, his preface is in gross error where he says the Church has no such cloistered institution for men.
Jun 29, 2012 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I so wanted to love this and I did at first but later chapters get mired in insignificant detail and clouds the real story of tthe nuns themselves.
Wendy Lynn
Wendy Lynn rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2016
Jeanne
Jeanne rated it really liked it
May 17, 2008
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2014
Louise Mengelkoch
Louise Mengelkoch rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2013
Blue Weasel
Blue Weasel rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2011
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2012
Hoyadaisy
Hoyadaisy rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2013
Pisceswonder77
Pisceswonder77 rated it it was ok
Nov 05, 2010
Andrea Gebler
Andrea Gebler rated it did not like it
Jun 29, 2016