Double Crossed: Uncovering the Catholic Church's Betrayal of American Nuns

Double Crossed: Uncovering the Catholic Church's Betrayal of American Nuns

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  14 reviews
This groundbreaking exposé of the mistreatment of nuns by the Catholic Church reveals a history of unfulfilled promises, misuse of clerical power, and a devastating failure to recognize the singular contributions of these religious women.
The Roman Catholic Church in America has lost nearly 100,000 religious sisters in the last forty years, a much greater loss than the prie...more
Published December 18th 2007 by Doubleday (first published June 20th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Double Crossed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Double Crossed

Grace
Dec 05, 2007 Grace rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody interested in religious politics
This is an interesting little book about the post-Vatican II changes in the lives of American nuns, the ways in which many orders changed and wished to change, and the barriers that were put in their way by Catholic officials. It's all very interesting stuff to me, as I know almost nothing about Catholicism. I wanted more information about the specifics of the nuns lives in and outside convents, but I suppose that would be already known by most people interested in this book. Another interesting...more
Khenpo Gurudas
Kenneth Briggs' groundbreaking exposé of the mistreatment of nuns and religious sisters by the Roiman Catholic Church reveals a history rife with unfulfilled promises, misuse of clerical power, and a devastating failure to recognise the important contributions women religious since the earliest days of the institution, when many of them still served as mitred abbesses (female bishops) and presided over the Eucharist, just as their brother priests did.

Remarkably, Briggs is not Roman Catholic, but...more
Karen Stone
Lovely read. I despise all religious institutions that "need" insane wealth to cover their fat asses

description

yes they need 170 billion dollars in the Americas alone...also they need "in house secretaries" to release tension!!!

also dont molest kids and certaintly dont pay these molesting priests to go on vacation

Julia
This book tells an important story, but it doesn't tell it very well. As someone who has worked closely with sisters, I had some familiarity with the topic, and I wish the book were more compelling. For one thing, Briggs repeats things a LOT. By about the 2/3 mark, I was starting to feel like he could have said everything he had to say in a pamphlet, although it did pick up again toward the end. I would also have liked to see more info generally about different communities, why there are so many...more
Mary
Everyone who attended Catholic schools has their own nun stories.

What I remember especially on the high school and college level is their dedication. scholarship and outstanding teaching. They were bright and strong women who always had the time to discuss class work and share ideas.

This book is a view into their personal lives and their battles with the bishops for a voice in the Catholic Church. They really have had a rough time fighting for independence from Rome on really small issues.
Ano...more
Sue
This was really thought-provoking for me, esp. since I didn't realize how harsh a world nuns had before Vatican II, and how difficult it was to create changes. I also had different sisters I have worked with in my mind and thought about when they might have become involved with their particular orders, and what 'side' they took (pro-renewal and change or anti-renewal and change) after Vatican II. If you're Catholic and had sisters as teachers, or if you have worked with sisters, I would recommen...more
Mary
A must read for anyone who wants to understand what was going on with the Sisters who taught us. It certainly was NOT what the priest told us, and really makes me disgusted with the Church I am part of. The Clergy (most) priest, Bishops, Cardinals and the Pope should all be ashamed of themselves for their political and power posturing with Christ's church!
Anne Thessen
Nov 22, 2008 Anne Thessen rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in women's history, history of organized religion or american history
This book was very boring, but contained some interesting facts. I knew very little about nuns or their history despite being raised Catholic. The title is misleading. (I'm beginning to suspect that authors have very little say in the titles of their books.) It's not malicious, but informative and despite dragging on in points, held my interest at times.
Liddy Barlow
As you might guess from the title, Briggs is awfully proud of his nun puns: the title of the chapter on changing forms of monastic dress is, of course, "Old Habits Die Hard." This book could have benefitted from some rigorous editing, as it tended to be repetitious and a little dry, but the subject matter was interesting enough that I stuck with it.
Alexis
This is a pretty sad recounting of the Catholic church's indifference and in some cases abandonment of American nuns. It gets pretty indepth and a little too technical in some spots but it is an over all interesting read.
Cheryl
I read this several years ago. It was informative, well-written, and covered a lot of ground that I was not familiar with. It is primarily about the changes caused by Vatican II in convent life and vocations.
Elizabeth
I found this quite thought provoking. I did find some sections repetitive. What I particularly liked was the author's efforts to challenge stereotypes of nuns- rather to view them as individual people.
Mary
I so wanted to love this and I did at first but later chapters get mired in insignificant detail and clouds the real story of tthe nuns themselves.
Vikki
This is a book about what the Catholic Church has done to nuns.
Chong-anna Canfora
Chong-anna Canfora marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Quin Rich
Quin Rich marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
amy
amy marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Joleen Patane
Joleen Patane marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
Gmr
Gmr marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2013
Kadri Lipping
Kadri Lipping marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2013
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2013
Daphnie H
Daphnie H marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Power of Forgiveness Holy Siege: The Year That Shook Catholic America Sarah, my Sarah Untitled on Nuns Ziggurat: How Ur Gave Birth