Start by marking “Y: O Último Homem Vol. 1: Extinção” as Want to Read:
Y: O Último Homem Vol. 1: Extinção

Y: O Último Homem Vol. 1: Extinção (Y: The Last Man #1)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  54,114 ratings  ·  1,610 reviews
Em 2002 o planeta Terra mudou para sempre. Todas as criaturas com um cromossomo Y morreram instantaneamente ao redor do globo. Com a perda de mais da metade da população, a sociedade fica à beira do colapso e cabe às mulheres o fardo de juntar os pedaços e tentar manter nossa civilização.
Mas esse “generocídio” não foi tão completo assim. Por alguma misteriosa razão, um jov...more
Paperback, 789765351111201, 132 pages
Published October 2009 by Panini Comics (first published January 1st 2003)

Michael
In typical comic book male-centric fashion, this series wonders what life would be like if all men died spontaneously...except for one.

I suppose if we're trying to put ourselves in the head of an early-nineties comic book reading teen, this might feel innovative. Unfortunately, I find that innovative in the world of comics is pretty much Iron Age for the rest of literature. How does Vaughan manage to make a series with gender issues at its center so bizarrely sexist?

Example: In a world where a...more
Nancy
I haven’t read a comic book since I was a child, saving my measly allowance for Archie and his friends. Once I discovered my mother’s Harold Robbins novels, I never went back to comics…until now.

A number of my Goodreads friends enjoy graphic novels (as they are called now), so I became curious and asked my friend Kemper for a recommendation. Y: The Last Man was perfect for me to start with. I love post-apocalyptic stories and wanted some light, easy reading between school books.

A plague that des...more
Brad
So there's this thing that happens in post-apocalypse stories that I need to talk to you about.

You know how in a zombiepocalypse story we occassionally receive hints that it might be better for the women to stay safe so they can make babies? Usually it's only hints, and the male characters don't seem to want to offend the post-feminist sensibilities of the women, so instead the women tote guns and put their wombs at risk of becoming a zombie-buffet. But everyone gets along-ish, and there are us...more
StoryTellerShannon
What if all the men, except one young man and his male monkey pet, were wiped out all over the world and nobody knew why exactly? That's the setup for volume one of this series that takes a look at gender issues and progressive science versus a natural order of things. I like that the explanation for the plague is not known and there are several possibilities.

There's a fair amount of mischievous style humor in the first volume. For instance, women commemorate the dead man at an obvious phallic...more
Bruce
Sep 13, 2008 Bruce rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens, avid comics fans
Recommended to Bruce by: Washington Post comics blog commenter
I've read so much here and elsewhere about how brilliant this series is, and from the two books I've read, I'm afraid I can't agree. The concept (plague instantaneously kills all Y-chromosome mammals -- except a guy named Yorick and his pet capuchin monkey -- around the globe without warning) has tremendous promise. However, the execution in the two books I read (this one and Vol. 13) was pedestrian. Characterization, plot, and art were all two-dimensional. (By contrast, Judge Parker has more nu...more
Melki
If you are a woman,
You might have to sleep with me
Since I'm the Last Man on Earth
And there ain't nothing wrong with me

Loudon Wainwright III

Meet Yorick, an unemployed English major with moderate-to-poor computer skills. He lives on ramen noodles. And, oh yeah, his hobby is magic.

You probably wouldn't sleep with him if he was the...well, nevermind.

There he is, ladies - The Last Man on Earth.

The dating pool has just gotten a little smaller thanks to a mysterious plague that has wiped out all males,...more
Keely
A sort of reversal of the film 'Children of Men', Y the Last Man is sometimes difficult to take seriously. The storytelling itself is not bad, though it sometimes falls into the faults of Lost, with endless, predictable hardship. It is an interesting concept, and Vaughan at least connects himself tangentially to the literary tradition, but these connections are often too flimsy or too coincidental in construction.

The worst crime of all may be that one keeps feeling that Yorick is standing in as...more
Felicia
Ok so maybe it's just me but I found this series to be incredibly chauvinist. I know I'm gonna get flamed for it, so many ppl rave about it. I APPRECIATED IT but the premise and execution and what the women were doing, boy oh boy.

I'm gonna shut up and not review this. Check box'd.

Erin
so - while i realize that the premise of this book is supposed to be stunning in overturning the stereotypical assumption that women without men will create a feminist/lesbian utopia, a la Herland, by proposing that left to their own devices, women would act like a bunch of goomba guys, arm themselves and create civil war, strife, and general mayhem, can any of us really image a scenario in which large groups of women, left without men for extended periods of time, would NOT 1) hug a lot 2) lick...more
Irena
The story started out so well: fast-paced, intriguing..I can see it's a dude comic, the main character ends up being the last man left on a planet full of allll kinds of women! No matter what kind of an ugly twat you might wanna be, some woman will want you. Yessss!
I see half-naked blonde, beachy-style woman, some ex-models running around, army women, special op women, scientist women. That's ookayyy with me. It is a dude comic, after all, no?

Then came this:
Yorick (main char): I'm not afraid of...more
Jenn(ifer)
So far so good! Volume 1 definitely piqued my interest enough to make me want to read Volume 2. And besides, the last man is HOT! What? I can't objectify the last man?

*****************
Some notes (these are mostly for me to be mindful of as I read the remaining volumes):

Yorick- Yorick's father was a Shakespeare buff and named Yorick and his sister after characters from Shakespeare's plays. The name Yorick comes from Hamlet; Yorick is the deceased court jester. He is represented in the play by a s...more
Brandon
All the men are dead.

Yorick Brown remains after a mysterious virus eliminates every last thing with a Y chromosome. While he’s expected to do his part in figuring out why he survived, he’s mainly concerned with finding his would-be fiancé in the outback of Australia.

This would be my first experience in reading a graphic novel where the main character isn’t flying/swinging/driving around in spandex. For my first foray into the non-superhero genre, I probably couldn’t have chosen a better series....more
Jamie
Now that I've finished the series (well, the first 9 books -- the 10th is unavailable to me), I'll write a bit about how I feel about the series as a whole.

I really wanted to hate this series. It is incredibly sexist in so many ways, and I started taking notes on some of the more ridiculous aspects of it so I would remember by the time I got around to writing this. My husband would find random pieces of paper scattered around the house and ask me what "factories stop working, no electricity, int...more
Neja
This is the first graphic novel I've read, so far. Because after this one..I'm hooked! Yorick is a young guy, wondering where is his place on this planet. He can't find a job, he loves magic and his girlfriend, Beth. She travelled to Australia, to be all smart and to gain some experiences in anthropology, so now Yorick is all alone, feeling like a loser, because he's not doing anything remotely as important as she and the rest of his friends do. He doesn't even want to go out if his apartment an...more
Petertpc
There are I think two kinds of comics. There is the mindless escapism of costumed superheroes and steroid pumped bad guys vying for dominance. These can be great fun and I'm not knocking them. There is also the more serious, literate stories that use the visual comic medium as a way to address larger issues. Y: The Last Man belongs in the latter category but the best part is that it is a bunch of fun as well. I'm looking forward to reading more of this series.
Seth Hahne
Jul 30, 2008 Seth Hahne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with sense
Shelves: comics
[[note: this review covers the entire series of ten volumes]]

Imagine a world in which every creature possessing a Y chromosome has just died. In a single moment, the world's animal population has been reduced by roughly half. This is a world where most of the world's politicians, most of the world's scientists, most of the world's military, most of the world's pilots, most of the world's film-makers, and most of the world's businessmen are no longer with us. This is a world of chaos and desperat...more
Anna  (Bananas!)
There's one scene in Y: The Last Man in particular that made the idea of losing all the men tangible for me. It's when Yorick stops at the Washington Monument (which appropriately is now a monument to all the dead men,*chuckle*) and he talks with a woman about all the male musicians that are gone.

Woman: Don't get me wrong, I don't miss anyone like I miss my pals, but it suddenly hit me today...The Rolling Stones are dead.
Yorick: In one day we lost...
W: Dylan
Y: Bowie
W: The rest of the Beatles
Y:...more
Jackie "the Librarian"
An interesting variation on a familiar theme - a sudden plague kills MOST of the people on the planet. This time, it's all the males on the planet, leaving only women. Except for this one slacker kid named Yorick - and his pet monkey. Gotta have the annoying pet monkey, like Marcel on "Friends", or the whole premise falls apart.

As Yorick is no Einstein, just a regular guy, all he can think about is reuniting with his girlfriend. Who cares about why he is the sole survivor, right? Of course, his...more
Jim
May 30, 2011 Jim rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: high school geeks
Shelves: comics
This book is wayyy overrated. What if every man in the world save one suddenly died? The results may surprise you...if you've never read or seen this kind of thing before. If you have, it's more of the same -- a by-the-numbers, competent execution of a goofy premise. It's a good "entry-level" comic, but it's one that you'll be embarassed by a few years from now.
Ana
description

Yorick Brown can't find a job with his English degree, he is an aspiring escape artist, he loves his girlfriend Beth who at the moment is doing field work in the Australian Outbacks, and he also happens to be the last male on Earth.

You think your problems are bad?

With all the men gone, women have separated themselves into different factions. We have the crazy Amazons who think all men deserve what they got, and are now doing their part to ensure female dominion. The U.S. is government is still a...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I have wanted to read this for a long time but could never find the first volume! Amazon put the first few volumes of a few comic books/graphic novels on sale for Kindle for $1.99, so I went ahead and bought this one. I needed a palate cleanser between longer books, and read this in one sitting. Not hard to do, it's short. The Kindle version lets you zoom in on a panel and then move panel by panel. This is an enhancement over the reading experience of a print volume for sure! I still would like...more
Sesana
In a matter of moments, a mysterious plague kills every living creature with a Y chromosome, except for one man (our hero, Yorick), and his pet monkey. What caused the plague, and what made Yorick and monkey immune? I'm hoping that Vaughn will get back to me on that before the series is over. There are no answers here, but this is just the beginning.

The entire Y series has gotten really good press and great reviews since the first issue came out years ago. I'm not sure why I never read it until...more
Marri
(Some spoilers...)
So far, not terribly awed or impressed by this wildly acclaimed comic. The premise is interesting, but the execution in art, and individual characters (especially the women) are so-so, with a few budding women-in-comics issues that immediately leap out.

(Example: Why is Yorick's girlfriend ambling around in the Outback in a bikini top and short-shorts, if not for the viewer's delight? Every guidebook I've ever seen specifies, explicitly, that protective clothing needs to be wor...more
Jason
2.5 Stars

In theory I should be a graphic novel junkie. I admire and enjoy looking at the fantastic artwork. I love the format and the style. Of course, I love to read as well. But, no matter how hard that I have tried in the past I have not been able to embrace the genre.

I finished this highly recommended first volume and I should have loved it. Great artwork, tons of humor, and a great post apocalyptic story line. Unfortunately I am not sure that I can make the crossover into the visual books....more
Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen
To my fellow GONE fans, read this.

This is a better start then The Walking Dead. I've tried to read TWD but it never really caught my attention. I don't know if you know this about me but I am not very patient. It's either Get Exciting Now or Back to the Library for you.

This book was interesting and intricate. The multi-character perspective never got confusing and worked very well to add suspense into the plot. I will definitely pick up the next volume from the library.

Into the favourites shelf...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Jul 29, 2009 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) by: Laura M.
My friend recommended this comic to me. I got so sucked in. I hated the idea that all the men in the world could die off. And men probably would think that Yorick has it made as the last man. Not so much.
Reed
Having heard very good things about Y: The Last Man, and being on such a graphic novel kick, I decided to give volume 1 a look-see.

Not sure I should've bothered. Perhaps it's unfair to read this after having read the first four volumes of The Sandman, but Vaughan's Y just doesn't measure up. Not even close.

Y details the adventures of Yorick,literally the last man on Earth. A mysterious plague suddenly kills every mammal with a y-chromosome, other than Yorick and his monkey Ampersand.

My problem w...more
Brooke
Not sure I can give this a proper review from just the first volume, but I did have the thought that the Amazons were a roaming pack of radical feminists, which was a little frightening to this liberal feminist. :)
Stephanie
I'm only marking the first volume, but I read the entire series however for my own metrics, I'm counting this as one book.

I finished "Y the Last Man" by Brian K. Vaughn last night. The Boo has been bugging me to read this for years, and I just kept putting it off. I don't enjoy reading comic books in single issue format, however the Boo loaded up the Comic Zeal app with these, and it was fantastic to read.

I highly recommend reading this series if you haven't had a chance. It follows Yorrick an...more
aljouharah altheeyb
حسناً بالرغم من اني لا أحبذ الطريقة الأمريكية في رسم الـكوميكس، ولا أحب الإنتقال بين البانلز الذي يجعلك تشعر وكأن هنالك ثواني ناقصه من الحدث المرسوم. إلا ان تجربة القراءه الجاده في الكوميكس بعيداً ع نالسوبرهيروز أمر ممتع ومفيد.

أول خيار أتى أقرب للصدفه منه للتخطيط الطويل الذي حملته مع نفسي، إذ اني وجدت الثلاث مجلدات الأولى تُباع في متجر قيمرز دين ستور في الخبر وقررت شراء المجلد الأول نظراً للسمعه الكبيره التي حصل عليها هذا العمل.

بالطبع في البدايه غضبت كثيراً على نفسي، مازلت أتحسس من الستيريوتاي...more
  • Fables, Vol. 3: Storybook Love (Fables, #3)
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 2: Lust for Life (Transmetropolitan, #2)
  • Preacher, Volume 5: Dixie Fried
  • Chew, Vol. 2: International Flavor
  • DMZ, Vol. 1: On the Ground
  • Sweet Tooth, Vol. 4: Endangered Species
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 8: The Hard Way
Born in Cleveland in 1976, Brian K. Vaughan is the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster Award-winning writer and co-creator of the critically acclaimed comics series Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and Ex Machina (picked as one of the ten best works of fiction of 2005 by Entertainment Weekly).

Recently named "Writer of the Year" by Wizard Magazine, and one of the “top ten comic writers of all time” by Comic Boo...more
More about Brian K. Vaughan...
Saga, Volume 1 Y: The Last Man, Vol. 2: Cycles (Y: The Last Man, #2) Saga #1 Y: The Last Man, Vol. 5: Ring of Truth (Y: The Last Man, #5) Y: The Last Man, Vol. 8: Kimono Dragons (Y: The Last Man, #8)

“I'm not afraid of the world. I'm afraid of a world without you.” 17 likes