Start by marking “The Way Back Home” as Want to Read:
The Way Back Home

The Way Back Home (The Boy #3)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  1,274 ratings  ·  145 reviews
One day a boy finds an aeroplane in his cupboard. Up, up, up and away he flies, high into the sky. Whizzing past clouds, stars and planets until suddenly, he runs out of petrol. Miles from Earth, the boy crashes onto the moon and waits.
Published September 1st 2008 by HarperCollins Children's Books (first published April 10th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Way Back Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way Back Home

midnightfaerie
A book my 5 yr old as well as my twin 3 yr olds loved. A solid reading level 1 book, this cute story keeps all ages engaged with the bright colorful pictures and cute story. A fun space theme with a little twist at the end. My 5 yr old was tickled pink when he guessed the ending. A great addition to any children's library.
Hugh Stuart
I discovered this one last week in an RE seminar and instantly loved it. The art is sumptuous and quirky and its a really nice story about friendship and helping each other out. A small boy finds an aeroplane in his cupboard, goes for a wee flight and crashes on the moon. During the night a tiny martian has a similar accident and loses control of his spaceship also ending up on the same rocky satellite. The two are initially fearful of one another but become friends when they realise they have t ...more
Eve
This book tells the story of a boy and a Martian who both get stuck on the moon, and then work together to fix their aeroplane and spaceship so they can both travel back home. At one point in the story, the boy jumps from the moon, into the sea on earth and swims back home. He rests for a while and watches his favourite TV programme, but then remembers he needs to go back to rescue the Martian.

I would read this to a Year 3 class. It would be possible to use this book to introduce the following t
Rebecca
The Way Back Home/Oliver Jeffers/2008

Genre: Children's Picture Book Fiction

Format: Book

Summary: When a boy discovers a single-propeller airplane in his closet, he does what any young adventurer would do: He flies it into outer space! Millions of miles from Earth, the plane begins to sputter and quake, its fuel tank on empty. The boy executes a daring landing on the moon . . . but there's no telling what kind of slimy, slithering, tentacled, fangtoothed monsters lurk in the darkness! (Plus, it's
Kayleigh
The Way Back Home has big dark illustration that I believe goes well with the story of the book. Because of this the book drew me in and even further when reading the book. The Way back home is about a boy who has a great imagination, finding a propeller airplane in his wardrobe. With this the boy decides to fly to the moon and finds that he has run out of petrol, being on his own he is slightly scared and lonely. He meets a Martian who is also stuck on the other side of the moon and also needs ...more
Andrea Grima
The Way Back Home is both beautifully written and illustrated. I like the fact that children could relate to the emotions of the young boy who flies an aeroplane that he finds to the Moon. Once he is there he realises her is stuck, far away from home. The story explores the problem of feeling fear and loneliness and offers the resolution of a friend called Martin, who is also from another World and stuck on the Moon. The two boys become friends and work as a team to ensure their safe return home ...more
Emer Mattimoe
This book tells the story of a young boy who finds a plane, flies it to the moon and gets stuck. It explores many feelings such as the little boy feeling alone and afraid. A Martian also end up stuck on the moon also and they find each other and realise that they are not alone anymore. They work together to get home safely. In doing so they become friends and worry will they ever see each other again when they are ready to go home. The book explores the development of relationships and friendshi ...more
Elizabeth Todd
The Way Back Home has very beautiful illustrations that fit perfectly with the story. It is a warming story about friendship and being different to each other.

A little boy finds and aeroplane in his cupboard and decides to take it out form a spin. He is having a great time whizzing about, until he runs out of petrol! The little boy crashes onto the moon and it begins to get dark and cold. Suddenly an alien appears, also alone with a broken spaceship. Together they come up with a super plan to f
Stefani Sloma
You can also read this review and others on my blog, Caught Read Handed.

The Way Back Home is about a young boy who finds an airplane in his closet but as he takes off for distant stars, it runs out of gas and he is stranded on the moon. At the same time, an alien’s spaceship has some engine trouble and he also lands on the moon. It gets dark and they both picture the worst when they hear the other walking around. When the finally meet, they realize they can help one another. “Martian, Earthling
Barbara
Featuring the same boy from the picture books Lost and Found, How to Catch a Star and Up and Down, this title follows him on an airplane trip to the moon. Improbably, he finds an airplane in his closet and soars into the sky until he runs out of fuel and lands on the moon. When a Martian also lands there, they work together to solve their respective transportation problems. Young readers will easily recognize that while the two may be very different, they still manage to put their differences as ...more
Margaux
As a Jeffers fan, I was not super impressed with this book, I have to say. I like that it's about friendship and yada yada, but I struggle to rank it among The Day the Crayons Quit, This Moose Belongs to Me, & The Heart and the Bottle. I'd say it's more of a boy book, but what kid doesn't want to fly to the moon eventually (and let's not forget the pet penguin...)

It had appeal for the simple fact that the protagonist befriends someone completely different from himself (an alien!)
Nayhara Sepulcri
Once there was a boy who found an aeroplane in his cupboard. Higher and higher he flew. But suddenly, the plane spluttered - it ran out of petrol. Now, the boy was stuck in the moon! As his torch began to go out, he found someone else in trouble.

From the great Oliver Jeffers, 'The way back home' is a thrilling intergalactic adventure that celebrates the friendship between a boy and a Martian. Together, they come up with a super plan to fix their machines and get them both back home.

The friends
bookme4life
This story reminded me so much of how I told stories as a child. It's written with a child's logic on how to solve problems, and as such was charming. The last page broke an Awwwww... out of me.
Colby Sharp
I love Oliver Jeffers.
An Abundance of Books
Featured at An Abundance of Books

Jeffers uses mixed media (but still features the watercolor paintings that I love) to bring the boy's imagination to life in this new book. One day the boy was putting things back in his closet and he found a life sized airplane. (I never found stuff like this in my closet... granted I never really put my things away either.)

He takes it out for a spin and of course it's a perfect lift off. The boy soars as high as he can before his place runs out of fuel. "Now th
Tara Mullan
Oct 07, 2011 Tara Mullan added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children Between 6-9
A little boy finds an aeroplane in his cupboard he takes it out to play, the aeroplane takes of the ground and goes up into the sky. Suddenly he runs out of petrol and get stuck on the moon what is he to do? he was all alone and afraid then his torch started to fade. Someone else was also stuck on the moon a big green Martian, they both heard noises and were very scared..However they were not alone anymore and took comfort in this as they had each other. They thought of ways to fix each other’s ...more
Zele Butt
The Way Back Home is an incredibly artistic and imaginative book that caters to both adult and children. The characters are illustrated perfectly in theme with the words, and the surroundings look exciting and contemporarily artistic.
The story starts with a little boy that finds a little red airplane in his closet, the boy then starts to don the clothes typical of a pilot. The end result is a very professional looking little boy flying higher and higher into the sky. However, the plan runs out o
Shel
Jeffers, O. (2007). The Way Back Home. New York: Philomel Books.

Irish author Oliver Jeffers shares the imaginative story of a young boy who discovers an airplane in his closet. The boy flies to the moon, but runs out of gas while he’s up in the sky. Stuck on the moon, the boy meets a Martian who is having spaceship problems.

This is a wonderful book to help children with fears of the dark, being alone or the unknown while also sharing the importance of friendship to help children thr
Joe Steward
‘The Way Back Home’ by Oliver Jeffers was the first book I used when I taught on my first teaching practice in a reception class. I used this book within a short series of lessons, due to its link to the half term cross curricular topic of space. Overall I found this book easy to use and the pupils within the class engaged and ultimately enjoyed the story, it is also a story which my daughter enjoys listening too of a bed time.

The story focuses on a boy who one day finds an aeroplane in his cupb
Sam Hopper
The Way Back Home is another classic book from the brilliant Oliver Jeffers. In this story, a boy who finds an aeroplane in the back of his cupboard decides to take it out and finds himself stranded on the moon when it runs out of petrol. He does not feel alone and afraid for long however, as a Martian also breaks down on the moon when his engine breaks down. The two make friends and together help each other to fix their vehicles and find their way home.

Themes of invention, friendship and trave
Ham
This book is about a boy and an alien who get lost and meet on the moon. They are initially scared of each other but soon realise that they have nothing to be afraid of. They then come up with a plan to fix their respective flying machines and return home.

The art and typesetting in this book is wonderful. It's very colourful, simple and well shaded. It very successfully creates the appropriate atmosphere and is a joy to look at.

I like this book because it shows the value and importance of tolera
Amy
This book is about a boy who finds an aeroplane and decides to take it to the moon. However, he runs out of petrol and gets stuck on the moon. He begins to feel really lonely. Then a martian crashes his spaceship on the moon too. They both get really scared before they realise that they are not alone and are both in trouble. They decided on a plan to get them both home. The boy goes home to get some stuff to fix the aeroplane. When he gets home, he is so tired he watches tv and fallls asleep.
He
Will O'donnell
The Way Back Home is a book about friendship and sharing with those in need. In the book, a boy flies his airplane to the moon but runs out of gas. There he finds a martian boy whose spaceship has broken down. The two children work out a plan that will help both of them get back home. The book is beautifully illustrated, humorous, and shows that going the extra mile and being selfless in a friendship will leave everyone happier and safe at home.
Magila
This is my favorite book that the author/illustrator Jeffers has produced. I have an adventurous spirit, and this book was clearly written for my ilk.

There was something beautiful and uplifting about the young protagonist who decided he would make an airplane from home-found parts. And then take it to outer-space. Adventure, creativity, and imagination abound.

After this already awesome awesomeness, the boy bumps into an alien and the author works in cooperation and friendship. Finally, there i
Stephanie Do rego
My 2 year old likes this book. The story is cute teaching about helping others and friendship. It also teaches that not everything is scary. The only comment I have is that some of the pages are hard to read in low light. The dark blue on black while it is pretty to see in normal lighting conditions is very hard to see at "bedtime". I like to read to him right before he goes to sleep and we do this in a semi dark room.
Lenora Rose
JoJo's current Jeffers favourite, after a recent stretch of wanting "How to catch a Star". (He's two and a bit. This will change.) I also see grerat lasting value in Jeffers' rather sweet stories.

However, I disagree with Jeffers firmly on one thing. Even in these simple illustrations, I'm pretty sure the martian is a girl. ;)
Layla & Rachel
Rachel is a fan of Oliver Jeffers and his book The Way Back Home didn't disappoint.

The story follows a boy who happens to find an airplane in his closet. And though he doesn't remember leaving an airplane there, he decides to go for a ride. Guess he should have checked the fuel gauge because he promptly runs out of gas and makes an emergency landing on the moon. Luckily, an alien promptly has to make an emergency landing as well and the two becomes friends and help each other out.

Layla wasn't a
Marcia
An earth boy and a space boy end up on the moon. They are very different, but also very similar, and this cute story shows us how to be kind and help others. Jeffers quirky illustrations are very appealing, and I think the story will appeal to young readers
Relyn
Jun 09, 2011 Relyn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: I like the author
Shelves: 2011-reread
I thought this one was hilarious. And adorable. I so much enjoy the child-like innocence of these stories.

6/8/11
Our summer school theme is NASA and space this year. So, I am teaching fiction and non-fiction about the moon, stars, and aliens. We have lots and lots of cool plans. For example, we are designing our own life-sized aliens, having spaceship races (decorated Frisbee), writing poems about what the moon is really made of: green cheese, milk, white chocolate, a pearl... Their ideas are va
Kate
A sweet story of helping and friendship from one of my favourite children's authors. I love the little alien friend and how they help each other out. These books are wonderful because they are so genuine and quirky.
  • Squid and Octopus Friends for Always
  • The Snail and the Whale
  • Penguin
  • Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs
  • The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend
Oliver Jeffers makes art.

From figurative painting and installation to illustration and picture-book making, his work has been exhibited in New York, Dublin, London, Sydney, Washington DC, Belfast and elsewhere.
A co-founder of the art collective OAR, their exhibitions include 9 days in Belfast, book and the award winning BUILDING.
Illustration clients include Orange UK, Lavazza, Sony PSP, RCA Recor
More about Oliver Jeffers...
Lost and Found (The Boy, #2) Stuck The Incredible Book Eating Boy This Moose Belongs to Me How to Catch a Star (The Boy, #1)