Start by marking “Rycerze Złotego Runa” as Want to Read:
Rycerze Złotego Runa

Rycerze Złotego Runa (Le Cycle de Louvigny #1)

Les enfants de la bande à Gaby ne possèdent qu'un trésor : un vieux cheval à roulettes qui leur permet de dévaler la rue dans de grands éclats de rire. Mais un trésor attire forcément des voleurs, ce qui entraînera les enfants dans une aventure plutôt cocasse !
Published 1962 by Klub Siedmiu Przygód (first published June 1955)

Elizabeth
Jun 24, 2008 Elizabeth added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Gramma
Shelves: en-francais
In English, The Horse Without a Head is one of my top ten favorite books EVER. Ever. I must have read it about 40 times in English; this is the second time I've read it in French. Having read 3 or 4 novels en francais in the past year, I think it's fair to say that the prose here is the most difficult I've come across--full of slang and technical terms (the setting is brutally urban, a busy rail junction and industrial area in post world-war-two Parisian slums), and the plot is so darn full of t ...more
Elizabeth
Inspector Sinet took a good look at her. She was an odd sort of girl, not yet twelve and wretchedly poor, and yet there was something about her that made you think twice. She was worth having on your side.

For STRONG FEMALE CHARACTERS, no one EVEN COMES CLOSE to Marion Fabert. You just can’t beat her. 1955, in too-short skirt and cut-down man’s jacket, gold fringe beneath a black beret — the gang’s treasurer, tough as nails, vet to every dog in Louvigny, with a dozen dog patients kept in cast-off
lukk
Feb 14, 2015 lukk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-russian
Я долго не могла взяться за эту книгу как следует, и виной всему первые страницы. Безнадежно грустные: дети бедняков играют с безголовой деревянной лошадкой на колесиках. И аннотация вдобавок обещала, что единственную радость у ребят скоро украдут – что совсем не способствовало желанию окунуться в чтение. Пофилонив три недели, я наконец снова принялась за книгу и прочитала буквально в один присест – благодаря маленьким героям, их родителям, инспектору Синэ и многострадальной лошадке, к которым я ...more
Monika
Mar 09, 2016 Monika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lemmikud
Vaeses prantsuse agulis elavate lastekamba jaoks on oluline vaid üks ja ainus mänguasi - vana peata hobune, millega saab täiskiirusel mööda tänavaid alla kihutada. Äkitselt hakkavad igasugu kahtlased tegelased nende hobuse vastu huvi tundma ning soovivad seda suure summa eest ära osta. Lapsed pole nõus oma mänguasjast loobuma ning ühel päeval hobune varastatakse. Politsei ei võta kadunud hobuse juhtumit tõsiselt ja nii ei jää lastel muud üle kui uurimine enda kätte võtta. Lõpuks on loosse segatu ...more
Tyas
Sep 09, 2008 Tyas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-children
I didn't even know that this book had been re-released (I've read this when I was a child, and I still have my old, battered copy with me!). It deserves it, because it's truly entertaining, and outstanding because it's not really about children going happily on a vacation and get involved in an unexpected adventure, or of unfortunate children under pressure who suddenly find that there's some Destiny waiting for them... anyway.

The story is about some poor children living in a slum area, who don
Pavel
Oct 02, 2011 Pavel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-with-sonya
Small gang of poor, suburb, post WWII children are getting back their toy horse, which was mysteriously stolen by some suspiciois adults.
The book is very wordy, excessive in details, not entirely thought out in the way story progresses. Another obvious flaw is that the children characters are somewhat cheesy: all of them are only brave or funny and thoughtfull and nothing else. Also me and Sonya knew what will happen with the horse from the beggining, it was obvious. But still, the book had some
Judy
If you have a child who isn't completely hooked on typical American stories, he or she just might enjoy 'meeting' this gang of French kids.
Luca
Apr 03, 2016 Luca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was good because it had a lot of action in it
Clare O'Beara
I read this a few times as a child. The kids would be allowed to roam the streets of Paris in a gang, all hours of day and night, they would regularly break into a warehouse where all kinds of stuff was piled up that nobody seemed to come back for, and every dog in the city came when one girl whistled.

But it was an adventure and we were short of books. I am sure it recreated the times well.
The title refers to an awful lot of money that was piled up in the warehouse, just like everything else. Th
Greydoll
This was the book that paved the way for my love of European crime writing! In my world of English 1950s childhood-reading I was yawning my way through the cosy picnics of Enid Blyton when, one day in the library, I found this story of French street kids, street life, street games, the theft of their beloved, headless, wooden horse and their determined, pell-mell pursuit of the thieves. It was a mind-opener for me after which I couldn't get my hands on enough stories in translation - which still ...more
Mathieu
Jul 29, 2011 Mathieu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J'ai un bon souvenir de ce livre, même si dans le détail je serai incapable de raconter ce qui se passe dedans. Je me souviens qu'on suit un groupe de gosses qui utilise un cheval à roulettes (sans tête, bien sûr) pour dévaler les rues en pente de... Paris ? Ou de la ville dans laquelle ça se passe en tout cas...

Sorti de ça... Il devait pourtant y avoir un peu plus pour que j'en ai gardé un bon souvenir.
Sheryl Tribble
Jan 01, 2012 Sheryl Tribble rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a great book, I've read it I dunno how many times. It's a terrific mystery set in post WW II France, and the plot rockets right along, but it's also about how love beautifies everything. Highly recommended.
Kris
I read this in the English translation called "The Horse without a Head". I loved the tale of the French children outwitting a gang of robbers, and the description of their lives. One of my faves as a middle reader!
Tony Derricott
A particular favourite of mine, as much for Richard Kennedy's delicate illustrations (in the English edition) as for the story.
Frida
Jun 10, 2014 Frida rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
I read this because Elizabeth Wein recommended it. A gang of French kids in the 50s taking on a gang of robbers. Mystery and mayhem. Kids Solving Things. I liked it. (I read it in Swedish.)
Sarah Sammis
This book reminded me in passing of Postern of Fate, the very first Christie mystery I ever read.
Nancy
Jan 02, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great upper elementary kids book - and I think there is a Wonderful World of Disney show to go with it.
junajuna
Solid? This book didn't really leave an impact on me.
Cherryz
Cherryz rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2011
Kerry
Kerry rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2008
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2013
Daniela Vasquez
Daniela Vasquez rated it did not like it
Dec 15, 2014
Anna Screengazer
Anna Screengazer rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2017
Marineke
Marineke rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2012
Somnambulist
Somnambulist rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2013
Austin Lugar
Austin Lugar rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Reinis Karlsons
Reinis Karlsons rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2017
Elizabeth Pagel-Hogan
Elizabeth Pagel-Hogan rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2014
Kalli Hazelbaker
Kalli Hazelbaker rated it really liked it
May 16, 2016
Sophie Westacott
Sophie Westacott rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2013
  • The Cuckoo Clock
  • Clorofila del Cielo Azul
  • Children on the Oregon Trail
  • Ash Road
  • Arizona (Lucky Luke #3)
  • Halinka
  • The Night Swimmers
  • Brendon Chase
  • Mein Urgroßvater und ich
  • Marcelino Pan Y Vino
  • A Kid for Two Farthings
  • La regina dei Caraibi
  • The Ship That Flew
  • Something's Fishy, Hazel Green (Hazel Green, #2)
  • Grinny
Paul Berna, est le pseudonyme le plus connu de Jean-Marie-Edmond Sabran (21 février 1908, Hyères - 19 janvier 1994, Paris), écrivain français du XXe siècle.
More about Paul Berna...

Le Cycle de Louvigny (4 books)
  • The Street Musician (Le Cycle de Louvigny, #2)
  • Le Bout du Monde (Le Cycle de Louvigny, #3)
  • La Piste du Souvenir (Le Cycle de Louvigny, #4)