Start by marking “Controversy Creates Cash” as Want to Read:
Controversy Creates Cash

Controversy Creates Cash

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  966 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Eric Bischoff has been called pro wrestling's most hated man. He's been booed, reviled, and burned in effigy. Fans have hurled everything from beer bottles to fists at him. Industry critics have spewed a tremendous amount of venom about his spectacular rise and stupendous crash at World Championship Wrestling. But even today, Eric Bischoff's revolutionary influence on the ...more
Published June 5th 2007 by World Wrestling Entertainment (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Controversy Creates Cash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Controversy Creates Cash

Tiara
Aug 23, 2015 Tiara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
I started really watching wrestling in late 2000 during the Attitude Era when I started dating my boyfriend (now husband) at the time. We were young college kids. Up to that point, I'd only glimpsed wrestling on television. I had a cousin who was big fan of wrestling when we were kids and was convinced that she was going to marry Shawn Michaels. She talked nonstop about him. I knew a little about NWO and Goldberg, but that was the extent of my knowledge. When I started watching wrestling, I was ...more
Richard Kelly
Here is a book about the wrestling industry that actually has very little to do with wrestling. It is a biography of Eric Bischoff who found himself as the president of WCW just as professional wrestling was moving into a hot streak.

If you like business books and learning about a niche industry this is a great read. There are lots of ideas and business principals that he comes up with that are not as common as those you would read in books like the Seven Habits of Highly Effective People.

And,
Artiom Karsiuk
Nov 29, 2012 Artiom Karsiuk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had my reservations about reading this book, because even though I admire Eric and wanted to get a breakdown of what went down behind the curtains in WCW, I knew that the publisher was "WWE Books", a subsidiary of his longtime arch-nemesis. I thought they would neuter his book faster than you can say "Brother", brother.
Yet, the book was fascinating. Sure, you have to take everything he's written with a grain of salt - not because he's a liar or this two-faced hypocrite of a man [even though m
Stephen Holtman
Mar 21, 2015 Stephen Holtman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book chronicles the story of how the author went from being an upstart in the AWA to the head of WCW and to a major caratcher in the WWE. I will start off by saying that I did find this book to be very entertaining. The writing in this one was a little bit on the bouncy side. It kept jumping from one subject to the next without really making any real segues or any other kind of link between the parts. That doesn’t neccasarily mean that this was a lesser wrestling related biography in any se ...more
Katrice
Dec 22, 2015 Katrice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this book. But I couldn't get over two things:

1) Bischoff comes off as really bitter and very defensive, even though he starts out this book by saying he hates it when other people in the wrestling business write books that are bitter and defensive.

2) The writing. . . is just. . . so grade school essay. Really. And he had a ghost writer? The weird subheadings way the "stories" are divided into doesn't help. Sometimes there is a flow to the thing but more often then not its like.
Victor Orozco
Oct 24, 2014 Victor Orozco rated it liked it
An interesting read. Eric Bischoff is one of the most infamous men in professional wrestling history. As one of the creative minds behind the success of World Championship Wrestling, leading to the competitive phase known as the Monday Night Wars is certainly something to be proud of. Yet throughout that time he ended up screwing over many talented men from growing in his company and the causing the company's downfall.

Armed with a massive amount of money from professional wrestling fan Ted Turne
Gregory
Jan 17, 2015 Gregory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eric Bischoff is easily one of the top five most polarizing people in professional wrestling history. He'd be the first to tell you. Controversy Creates Cash is equal parts auto-biography and "Let me just clear this up." Of course the majority of the book is about his tenure at WCW, from third string commentator to President of WCW. It was nice to get to know Bischoff before all that, though. We only get maybe 55 pages of this and even less about his time after WCW, but it helps to put things in ...more
Roberto Carlos
This book is average, but like most WWE published works, it leaves you wondering how much was ghostwritten and if the "author" really has positive feelings towards the WWE. However, the reading shows an interesting perspective to how WCW crumbled. Since Bischoff has recently joined TNA, I would like to see him write another book so we can see what his true feelings regarding Vince Mcmahon and the WWE are.
Solitairerose
Obviously ghost-written, and painfully self-serving, it's still nice to get the story of the man who jump-started the wrestling crazy of the 90's, and seems to have no idea why it all fell apart. Pair this with "Who Killed WCW" by the Wrestlecrap buys, and you'll put together the most fascinating story of the business.
Joe Juarez
Aug 30, 2015 Joe Juarez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion, Eric Bischoff was not the person responsible for World Championship Wrestling's (WCW) downfall. Bischoff had a vision on what to do to compete with the then WWF (now WWE). For a brief period worked and made sense; but what made sense to Bischoff doesn't make sense to the bigwigs at AOL Time Warner.
"Controversy Creates Cash" tells wrestling fans that a person's vision of trying to create the best competition against the WWE ran pretty smooth. The audience identified with the story
Bryan
Jan 20, 2014 Bryan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
"Do I believe he's so full of shit that he believes his own lies? Absolutely." Eric uses this to describe the head of a rival promotion. If you ask a majority of people involved with WCW during Eric's tenure, I think they would use the same words to describe him. If you ask fans, they would say it describes this book.

I'm not giving this book 2 starts solely based on the fact that I think Eric is a liar and a POS. The book reads like stream of conscious thoughts. It seems to follow things in chr
Matt
Apr 12, 2016 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Controversy Creates Cash, former WCW executive Eric Bischoff gives his side of the story against a decades worth of bad press he received in the Internet Wrestling Community. Bischoff quickly starts off by setting the record straight on some of his early life and how he got into the wrestling business in AWA. Then goes through his ups and downs in WCW before leading the organization even coming close to quitting and going to Hollywood. Once in charge of WCW, Bischoff explains his philosophy t ...more
jennifer
I think I picked this one up at a library sale. I don't watch wrestling and thought I might not know most of the people he would have worked with, but everyone knows Hulk Hogan, Macho Man and Steve Austin. Actually, 90% of this book is about Bischoff's business dealings as he went from being an ad salesman to running Ted Turner owned WCW in a matter of just a few years. He discusses what was going on inside the Turner building around 1995-1999 when Turner was losing control of his company, which ...more
Tyler
Jul 17, 2013 Tyler rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it but it didn't grip me that much.

Whether it was ghost-written or not, the tone seemed very Eric. He wasn't afraid to shit-talk people (a few times I'd be like, 'damn what an asshole') but there's no doubt that he says what's on his mind. Even though you can't believe everything he says, at least he says it as opposed to trying to pull off fake modesty. So it's nice to have someone be a little aggressive in their book.

My problem with it is that he didn't spend nearly enough time on in
M J
Nov 30, 2007 M J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: wrestling fans
I really enjoyed this book, much more than I thought I would. Most people probably wouldn't expect that I'm a wrestling fan, but I have been since about 8th grade. Yes, I know it's "fake" but I find it comical and like the big characters that are created in wrestling.

This books tells a lot about the "behind the scenes" action that takes place in wrestling. It also talks a lot about what was needed to make the WCW such a big wrestling fan. I'm always interested in marketing and promotion, so thi
Ron Gunz
Jan 04, 2011 Ron Gunz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book presents a fascinating look at the industry from a different perspective but it's more than a little implausible to look at the information presented here and believe that you're being given an accurate recounting of the events before and during the Monday Night Wars.

Nonetheless, despite my recent distaste for Eric Bischoff, I still feel this is an important read for legacy and current wrestling fans, especially now that you could watch history repeat itself on TNA over the course of 2
Kevin
Nov 13, 2007 Kevin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great bio of Eric Bischoff, the salesman Ted Turner chose to compete with the invincible Vince MacMahon and his WWE wrestling franchise. Bischoff hires Hulk Hogun and other former WWE talent, and takes Turners WCW wrestling organization down a road that eventually leads to the "Monday Night Wrestling Wars" and the actual defeat of the once mighty WWE in the ratings! The story of the rise of two great Wrestling franchises, and the rivalry between Vince MacMahon and Billionaire Ted, is one of th ...more
James
Feb 13, 2014 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good life story, bischoff comes across as a happy man despite losing the famous Monday night war, it's good to read a wrestling book that focuses on positive side of the business
Omar
It was fun to read.
I dont think it would be fun if you were not a fan of pro wrestling in the ninties though
Kat
Apr 01, 2014 Kat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Indeed, I could never look at wrestling the same way again. If anything, my love for the business flourished exponentially. Eric Bischoff is a god.
Stephen Bruno
Kind of mundane for a book with the word "controversy" in the title.
Lester Hebert
Jun 16, 2015 Lester Hebert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edgy
Angela Reeves
Aug 21, 2016 Angela Reeves rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
rubbish
Miles
Nov 09, 2008 Miles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the autobiography of one of the most coniving men in the professional wrestling world. He is mostly known for his work in WCW where he was one of the head guys as well as very influential in the company. He has caused so much trouble and mayhem in his new company WWE and is one of the main villains in the company. In this story he expresses his thoughts and feelings on his career. If you want a story about arrogant, coniving, and somewhat crazy guy then this is the story for you.
Dennis
This book is the life and times of Eric Bischoff and mainly how he went from the top of pro wrestling entertainment to being bought out by his competitor. Like usual autobiographies it starts with his childhood, and upbringings then surrounds his career. The book is entertaining and keeps me especially interested because I was a huge wrestling fan as a teenager. This book really doesn’t really inspire me for my future writing but, I think it’s a good read for fans of the sport.
David
Mar 13, 2012 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favourite wrestling-related autobiography to date. Although not the most interesting character on TV, Eric Bischoff has been one of the most influential and instrumental individuals in the industry over the last 20 years and that's what makes his story so interesting. From being sat in an office, Bischoff became the President of the biggest wrestling promotion in the world. Whether you like him or not, you can't help but admire him, especially after reading this.
Tommy
Mar 05, 2009 Tommy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the more polarizing figures in recent wrestling history...it was nice to hear the viewpoint of the guy a lot of people really point to as "The Bad Guy" in the 90's wrestling war, though he seems to want you to believe a lot of what went on was out of his control.

Possibly useful as a manual on "how not to manage."

Writing/ghostwriting was choppy, and badly put together. Ended up skimming the majority of the book.
Matt Murphy
Jun 10, 2010 Matt Murphy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To my surprise, Bischoff's memoir was one of the ten best wrestling books I've read. As the former head of WCW, Bischoff offers insight into a side of sports-entertainment unlike any other book in the genre. It's during these times that he shines, but like most autobiographers and memoirists, his weakness was looking at situations and relationships objectively. Overall, though, a very good book.
Ashley
Aug 20, 2013 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a must read for any Minnesota pro wrestling fans or anyone that enjoyed the pro wrestling scene of old in Minnesota. I read it because I have always been a fan of Bischoff and understand what an intelligent man he is. He goes in depth, in a no-holds-barred reality of all companies he worked for. He's not afraid to dish it out, and that's what made this book fun to read!
Brian
Jan 03, 2013 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The layout of this book was different than most. It was broken up into chapters, but it was also broken up into sections in those chapters. I enjoyed that a lot. It was when I first started reading big time and it really helped me get into it. Bischoff did give a lot of information about WCW and his transition to WWE. Very good.
  • Cheating Death, Stealing Life: The Eddie Guerrero Story
  • The Death of WCW
  • Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling
  • It's Good to Be the King...Sometimes
  • Lita: A Less Traveled R.O.A.D.--The Reality of Amy Dumas
  • Sex, Lies, and Headlocks: The Real Story of Vince McMahon and the World Wrestling Federation
  • It's True! It's True!
  • Batista Unleashed (Wwe)

“I'm as apolitical as possible. I don't hang out with too many people. I'm a loner. For the most part, when I show up, I read a book or work on my computer, and stay out of everybody else's way.” 9 likes
“...it doesn't matter if people love you or hate you, as long as they feel strongly one way or the other. The worst place you can be is in the middle.” 3 likes