Start by marking “Don't Sweat The Small Stuff With The Family” as Want to Read:
Don't Sweat The Small Stuff With The Family

Don't Sweat The Small Stuff With The Family (Don't Sweat the Small Stuff)

In his number one national bestseller, "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff," Richard Carlson, Ph.D., showed readers how not to let the small things in life drive them crazy. In "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff About Money," he discusses ways to have a more abundant and thoughtful life, all the while refusing to let financial concerns overwhelm us. Now, in "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ...more
Paperback
Published November 5th 1998 by Hodder Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Sweat The Small Stuff With The Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Sweat The Small Stuff With The Family

Lara Mckee
This book was okay- nothing earth-shattering. I tried to read one tip each night before bed and then try to incorporate the tip during my day the next day. There were a few ideas I liked: Develop Your Own Reset Button; Stop Exchanging Horror Stories; Think Of Something You Did Right Today; Surrender To The Fact That There's Always Something To Do; and Become Less Easily Bothered. The author was asked to describe the average person in a few words and he chose "easily bothered". I thought that was ...more
Jonathan-David Jackson
Simple advice for life in a family. Out of the 100 things there probably weren't more than 10 that I don't already know of and try to do, but it's good to be reminded. Also, since I already know of/do most of them, it was also good to feel pleased with myself.

A few of the things seemed like filler to me, since the author wanted a book of 100 things. Probably would have been better to go with 90 and leave out a few that are similar to others.

For anybody who frequently feels stressed about family
Cindy
Aug 21, 2012 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
A couple of my favorites:

#14 Encourage boredom in your children

#47 When someone asks you how you are, don't emphasize how busy you are

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff with Your Family is a good book, but it should probably be read slowly. I read it in one sitting and finished it a little overwhelmed.

Basically, love your kids, take care of yourself and keep your life simple.
Lindy
Aug 17, 2009 Lindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that most of the content seems obvious, yet none of us do what Carlson suggests. There are 100 chapters, with each chapter briefly explaining a principle to keep life stress-free at home. It's a great book, however, I think I would be able to apply it more if I read one chapter a week and worked on that principle.
Bill Donhiser
Rather simplistic but some very important points. A good book to read when day to dat stuff is keeping you from the big picture. The big word to take away is responsibility.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Can anything be more important than our families?
Nathan
Nov 23, 2016 Nathan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not helpful overall. Here is the book in a few sentences. Don't stress, make that a priority. Be centered, make that a priority. Don't have expectations, make that a priority.
Lorna
Nov 27, 2016 Lorna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
I decided to reread this book as I'm going to be moving closer to my family. It's chuck full of wise advice.
Kimberly
Learn from kids as they live in the moment. Your most effective, powerful and positive energy is the energy of right now.

Protect your privacy. Protecting and respecting your own privacy is a statement to yourself and others that you value yourself aand your own peace of mind.

Live from your heart. Make decisions that resonate within your heart and your own values.

Keep promises.

Voluntary simplicity. Don't fall into habit of ever-increasing wants, desires, and 'keeping up with the Joneses.

Keep good
Sonia
The examples in this book are from home life and interpersonal relationships.
I found this an interesting book, not as repetitive as “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff” but for me, also not as helpful – although they share some of the same advice. Still having said that, there were some bits of advice and common sense that I liked and it is nice to be reminded (as it is easy to get caught up and forget what we already know).
Three of my favourites were (1) Don’t be a martyr. There is a fine line betwe
Jessamyn Wilson
This book is written in a casual conversational way, as if sitting in a room talking to a friend. The advice he gives is simple and easy to use, but things that most of us often overlook on a daily basis. I found this book the be interesting with all of his personal stories and examples. However, I don't feel that he truly had 100 tips, because some of them were just spin-offs of each other. This made some chapters a little boring because, well, I had read the same thing worded differently in pr ...more
Lindsay
Jun 25, 2015 Lindsay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While this book had some good wisdom and pleasant reminders, I honestly was hoping for a little more oomph to the content. There were a handful of entries that sparked some thought, but most were pretty basic and general advice (ie don't go to bed mad, this too shall pass, you can't take it with you). This might be best suited for a very young family starting out that is under experienced in life and overwhelmed by the chaos of daily living.
Shelli
Jan 11, 2013 Shelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
100 great ideas or inspirations to remind us of what most of us already know, but often forget when feeling stressed and overwhelmed. Lately I have been struggling with many "small" things in my own household and this was a wonderful reminder about putting things in perspective and stopping to think more than just react. Hopefully some, or even 1, of the 100 things mentioned will come to mind the next time small stuff, or the not so small stuff, happens.
Punita Rice
So many good reminders/happiness hacks in this book. Assuming you like, and/or love your family, and have any interest at all in further enhancing your interactions with them, there are at least a handful of ideas/tips in this book that will be worth implementing, and will immediately make you happier with and better at communicating with them.
Kevin E
Feb 08, 2015 Kevin E rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great practical advice. Much of it reminds you of a simpler mindset when you truly valued each day "as if it were your last," and said goodbye to everyone as if you would never see them again. I've read a good share of "self-help" books-including the first in this series, "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff (and it's ALL small stuff)," and this is a worthy addition to one's mental volumes.
Gena Lott
Jun 28, 2011 Gena Lott rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
The snippets of wisdom in this book may at times seem like so much "so what" and "oh really?" But occasionally a real gem hit me right between the eyes. It is worth a quick read. And that is what it will be because of the short quote-like presentation.
Maryam
Jul 12, 2012 Maryam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
کتای خوبی بود، اینگار تو یه سالی پرفروش ترین کتاب سال هم شد!
گاهی وقتا یه چیزایی که میدونی یا تجربه کردی باید به شکل نوشتاری بخونیشون تاثیر خوبی واست بذارن،شایدم عادتمون شده! کتاب روون و کاربردی ای بود،یه قسمتایی از کتاب هم حتما باز میخونم.
Brynn
Aug 12, 2009 Brynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a little turned off by the shear number of "small stuff" books Carlson has written, (there must be a lot of overlap and he must be making a lot of $$) but this book was very applicable to my little family and if reminded of it often, i'm sure my home will be happier because of it's bits of wisdom.
Sherri
Oct 21, 2007 Sherri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
some helpful, some unrealistic and some just down right guilt-inducing. Overall-it is a fresh perspective--I read after recently getting married for the first time at age 40 and struggling to find the balance between "super-wife" and just maintaining a sense of "me".
Jessamyn
Apr 30, 2011 Jessamyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents
Everything written in its pages are universally true. I could apply everything to my life and it really works. It is well written, but easy to understand. Anyone could pick it up and say, "Wow, that makes perfect sense to me."
Afnan Alfadel
Sep 02, 2016 Afnan Alfadel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
كتاب رائع وأفادني كثيراً أعارتني إياه احد زيميلات المرحلة الجامعية وافادني كثيرا خاصه بعد الزواج والانتقال للعيش مع أسره الزوج. مهم لمن يعيشون مع أشخاص كثر او في مجتمعات ذات العلاقات الاجتماعية المكثفه. لا اكاد اتذكر اسمها لكن مازال الكتاب لدي .
Brittany
This was my first "Don't Sweat The Small Stuff" book and I didn't really expect to get as many good ideas from it as I did. There are 100 bite-sized pieces of advice and inspiration for ways to make your family life better.
Robin
Sep 27, 2010 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book to keep on the bedstand in case it's too late to get into your current read and you just need a little something to relax. A feel-good-I should do this- book. The book just keeps things in perspective and a good reminder. I enjoy his books.
Emma
Apr 24, 2015 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book with lots of advice about how to slow down and step back so you can appreciate your family instead of noticing all the negatives in your day-to-day life. Some things we already do but also plenty of good ideas for me to try implement.
سارة
مقدرش بيتكلم ازاي يعني!!
أنا لو ورقة مشخبطة فيها استحالة أرميها
إنها أشيائي
Katie Mansfield
well, I definitely know the Carlson family better than I did earlier today..
besides the I'm-trying-really-hard-to-show-you-I'm-not-perfect-eitherness of this book, I kinda liked it. definitely one I'll be reading again, just to remind myself how small the small stuff really is.
Kira Dlusskaya
Jul 22, 2015 Kira Dlusskaya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like all the books by Dr. Carlson, this one was full of solid advice in approachable sections. Of course, there is some overlap between his books, so it felt like re-reading a previous one sometimes, but these are the sorts of books one would want to read over again.
Heidi
Sep 23, 2007 Heidi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, it's not rocket science but we all need a short reminder now and then about what is truly important. This was a gift from my friend, Margaret, and it now sits in our living room for moments of inspiration.
Meeghan Kummer
An easy read and format with the 100 things to do. Things we all know about but need to reminded. A lot about kindness...the joys of living...gratitude..this too shall pass (the good and the bad)...remind ourselves life is short.
Kristin
This book is designed for the "stereotypical family" a.k.a mom, dad, kids, white picket fence. It didn't really fit with my single mom type family.
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Women: Simple and Practical Ways to Do What Matters Most and Find Time For You
  • Simplify Your Life with Kids: 1 Ways to Make Family Life Easier and More Fun
  • Family First: Your Step-by-Step Plan for Creating a Phenomenal Family
  • Stop Whining, Start Living
  • Personality Plus for Parents: Understanding What Makes Your Child Tick
  • Speed Cleaning
  • The Book of Calamities: Five Questions About Suffering and Its Meaning
  • Joy of Reading
  • Chicken Soup for the Mother and Son Soul: Stories to Celebrate the Lifelong Bond (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • I Don't Have to Make Everything All Better
  • A Joyful Mother of Children: The Magic and Mayhem of Motherhood
  • The New York Public Library Desk Reference
  • Reinventing Your Life: The Breakthrough Program to End Negative Behavior...and Feel Great Again
  • Anger: Handling a Powerful Emotion in a Healthy Way
  • Transforming the Difficult Child: The Nurtured Heart Approach
  • Living a Covenant Marriage
  • Death: The Final Stage of Growth
  • The Best International Recipe: A Home Cook's Guide To The Best Recipes In The World (Best Recipe Classics) (A Best Recipe Classic)
Richard Carlson Ph.D. was an author, psychotherapist, and motivational speaker, who rose to fame with the success of his best-selling book Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff…and it’s all Small Stuff (1997).

He met and married Kristine Anderson (Kris Carlson) in 1981 while he was a student at Pepperdine University in Malibu, California.

Carlson published his first book in 1985, but became famous when his Do
More about Richard Carlson...

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things from Taking Over Your Life
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff in Love: Simple Ways to Nurture and Strengthen Your Relationships While Avoiding the Habits That Break Down Your Loving Connection
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff at Work: Simple Ways to Minimize Stress and Conflict While Bringing Out the Best in Yourself and Others
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Men: Simple Ways to Minimize Stress in a Competitive World
  • Don't Sweat The Small Stuff, For Mothers
  • Don't Sweat The Small Stuff: For Fathers
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Teens: Simple Ways to Keep Your Cool in Stressful Times (Don't Sweat the Small Stuff Series)
  • A Don't Sweat the Small Stuff Treasury: A Special Collection for Newlyweds