Start by marking “The Stories of Ray Bradbury” as Want to Read:
The Stories of Ray Bradbury

The Stories of Ray Bradbury

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  3,055 ratings  ·  114 reviews
One hundred of Ray Bradbury’s remarkable stories which have, together with his classic novels, earned him an immense international audience and his place among the most imaginative and enduring writers of our time.

Here are the Martian stories, tales that vividly animate the red planet, with its brittle cities and double-mooned sky. Here are the stories that speak of a spec
Published April 6th 2010 by Everyman's Library (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Stories of Ray Bradbury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stories of Ray Bradbury

Richard
Jun 05, 2014 Richard rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of vintage SF and fantasy
This has many good stories in it. although some are better than others.

Some of the science fiction tales are still enjoyable while others haven't held up as well over time. For instance the stories set on Mars convey a feeling of desolation and insidious, insanity-inducing weirdness which still works for me, in spite of details which may have been proven wrong by subsequent scientific discovery. The Venus stories, on the other hand, are a little too out to left field: this planet is presented a
Rachel Crooks
It's been a long time since I remember reading the work of a writer who writes like no other person. So many writers are "like" Jane Austen, Mark Twain, Charles Dickens, Joyce Carol Oates, etc, and we read them because we've run out of the real thing. Ray Bradbury is only like himself. He puts things in a way no one else could put them. Primarily, his creativity and his prose glimmers real. He is the reason I was drawn to read in the first place: to visit other worlds.

The story that blew me awa
Nathan Kamal
Ray Bradbury is my favorite author. His use of descriptive language and non-conventional character development and plot are what makes him to be one of the best science fiction writers of all time.
The Stories of Ray Bradbury captures the very essence of what makes him so brilliant. The book features a methodical mix of both long and short stories that give the reader great choice. A Bradbury short story can take anywhere from fifteen minutes to an hour to read. Bradbury, more than any other auth
Helen
I'm ashamed to confess that I've never read Farenheit 451. (My seventh grader made a video book report for class, and viewing it is as far as I've gotten.)

These stories are SO GOOD. I'm more of a science-fiction-is-a-metaphor-for-our-times reader than a lightyears-and-technology science fiction reader, and I didn't know what to expect. Stylistically, his writing is just beautiful. Many times, I caught my breath at a turn of phrase, a heart-wrenchingly familiar characterization, a sentence that
Jason
An old housemate I had scratched with an indelible marker a paragraph out a story called Kaleidoscope on his bedroom wall.
"What's that?" I asked.
He showed me this gigantic book. I read the story. Men were drifting into the oblivion of space as it began. One of the men told the captain how he had betrayed him, and now there was nothing either of them could do about it. Another struggled to fasten the valve on his wrist because a meteor had calmly ripped away his left hand. One man had gone mad
Will Thomas
The Master died this week, and the world is a lesser place. I have a list of people who should never have been allowed to die, and now Ray Bradbury joins Leonard Bernstein, Victor Borge, and Jim Henson.

I bought this book in 1983, and I bought a second copy to give to my best friend. When I married her in 1989, suddenly I had two copies in my possession!

Here is magic. Bradbury made magic when he wrote. He could bring tears to my eyes for sheer beauty. Read "The April Witch". Read "The Picasso Sum
Marvin
There may have been other Bradbury anthologies since this huge (100 stories!!!) 1980 collection, but I sincerely doubt any could be half as fine as this one. This is the ultimate collection of Bradbury's short fiction including nearly every important tale from this seminal American writer. It also includes a terrific introduction by the author titled "Drunk, and in Charge of a Bicycle".
Raj
I'm not really sure how to even start with a review of this book, with its table of contents stretching to three pages. And even taking three months to read it was too short a time. Bradbury shorts need to be read slowly and savoured. I binged a bit here.

There are Martian stories in this collection, there are Mexican stories, Irish stories, stories about the supernatural Family and the joys of childhood. There are the famous stories (A Sound of Thunder, The Fog Horn etc) and so many more.

There a
VanHalen
Nov 22, 2008 VanHalen is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I have not yet finished this book, but feel that some commentary is needed on it.

I have been reading this book for about 3 years now.
1) because it is 884 pages long
2) because it is nothing but short stories
3) because I love it

I find that when I read too many short stories in a row, I begin to think of them as separate chapters in a connected book, and don't pay the proper attention to each story as its own entity, so I force myself to read a couple then set the book down.

I can easily start argum
Evans Light
Probably my favorite single book of all time...this specific edition. No filler or lesser works in sight. Pure gold.
Geoff
Sometimes an author relates to you in such a way that you feel its impossible. Like he's inside your brain, tinkering with clockwork gears and machinery, the stuff that makes you tick. That accurate. That close to home.
When I picked up this book, the same one with that terrible 80's coverart, I'm sitting in a library, leafing my way through the enormous (and ridiculous) science fiction section. Science fiction, to me, had always seemed a little ridiculous. Not that I disliked it as a genre, bu
Mikel
Apr 25, 2008 Mikel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Mikel by: good fortune
I have physical, tangible memories of this book. I know I read it first in summer because I remember exactly how it felt to go from the humidity and heat outside into the almost too cool air of my town library. I remember also walking behind the central circulation desk rather than turning left, starting to look at books for adults and older readers rather than the children's/young reader books I was used to. I remember finding this on the shelves and looking up specifically "I Sing the Body Ele ...more
Craig
Probably the best collection of Bradbury's stories -- from the Dark Ferris (the genesis of "Something Wicked this way Comes")to his hilarious vampire stories (a dysfunctional family who just happens to be vampire -- my favorite is "Uncle Einar") to "Homecoming," "There Will Come Soft Rains," "The Fog Horn," and one of my personal favorites, "The Scythe," which explains the origins of the 'grim reaper.' I think Bradbury's short fiction, not King's, will be remembered in 100 years. Bradbury will b ...more
Matthew
Reading a collection of short stories can be a disappointing experience with many writers, but this is never the case with Ray Bradbury, a man who worked best in this medium. Many of his most famous works (The Martian Chronicles, The Illustrated Man) are essentially short story collections, albeit linked. Even Fahrenheit 451 emerged from several short stories written by Bradbury.

In fact, his longer works suffer from giving Bradbury that extra breathing space. The poetic prose begins to extend ou
Eleanor
Bought this in a second-hand bookshop when I was 9 or so. I've read every story multiple times, and they are AMAZING. The landscapes of these tales -- Mars, Ireland, rural Illinois, outer space, carnival shows -- these were the landscapes of my imagination when I was a kid. Bradbury is a phenomenal writer, a wonderful introduction to the craft. My favorites include "The Veldt," "The Foghorn," "The Last Night of the World," "The Long Rains." I could go on, they're all so good.
Katie
THIS BOOK IS AWESOME. Ray Bradbury is the master of short stories. I highly recommend getting this book & using it to fill the time between reading your other books. It has 100 fantastic short stories in it. It's hard to read one after the other clear to the end...so I've been breaking it up. I've thoroughly enjoyed Bradbury's writing. It's truly *literature* & not just this fluffy stuff that everyone writes these days. Yet it's still easy to read. :)
Steven
There Was an Old Woman **** An old woman refuses to die
There Will Come Soft Rains ***** Post-apocalyptic story
Mars Is Heaven **** Don't believe they are your family
The Silent Towns **** Don't answer the telephone
The Earth Men **** Martians are concerned by crazies.
The Off Season *** The hot dog stand
The Million-Year Picnic
The Fox and the Forest
Kaleidoscope
The Rocket
Joe K
It took me most of a year, but I finished it! That makes it sound as though it was hard to get through- it wasn't. Many, many great stories in here. Out of the 100 stories, I'd say that 90 of them were good or better. I'd really have to go back story by story to find any that didn't work for me. This was a very good scattering of the different types of stories that Bradbury wrote. In some of the stories, it was amazing how prescient he was, especially in regards to how we use technology. I can't ...more
Frances
I need more stars.
Seriously though, I love this dude's work. He doesn't just write words, he paints them, sculpts them, until every page is a new gallery of wonders. Every word has its purpose, they all work together and interweave to form an ever shifting spectrum of images, emotions, thoughts, landscapes. This is art.
I apologise for my lack of coherence, but I'm new to this reviewing thing, and haven't quite got the knack.
Vikram Kamath
One of the best writers I have ever read. I loved every single one of the short stories I've read so far. Ray Bradbury is and will always be one of my favorite writers. I only wish some of the stories ended before they actually did. In one or two of the stories in this book, the last 2 or 3 paragraphs really change (negatively) the mood of the whole story
Sheila
Man, I love Ray Bradbury. I really, really do. But I couldn't get through a lot of the stories in this collection. Too many choices, maybe? It's a honkin big book. Maybe these were mostly B sides? I didn't recognize a good many of them. Not in the right mood, perhaps? Entirely possible.

2 stars. But I don't blame Bradbury. I blame myself.
Michael Mallory
This is the proverbial book I would take with me if I were to be stuck on another planet. (I'd also take Ray himself, since he'd probably know how to get us back.) The range and scope of the stories in this volume are breathtaking, but they all share one common thread: the unique, inimitable voice of Ray Bradbury.
Amy Wolf
I knew him, and have an autographed copy. Perhaps more of a young person's literature: maybe it requires youth to believe all of that optimism. But some superb stories here, my favorite being "Kaleidoscope". Well worth reading through his sf pioneer's stories.
Shawn3K
"There Will Come Soft Rains" is truly one of the most evocative and disturbing works of apocalyptic short story writing.
This collection has "There Will Come Soft Rains" in it, which is one of my favorite Bradbury stories.
Jim
Just having all his stories in one volume is a treasure.
Nicole
I'm glad I finally got around to this collection; there were some stories I've already read, but most I had only heard of/about. Overall, I loved these stories. Bradbury undeniably has great skill as a writer. Some of his turns of phrase just left me in total awe.

Because it took me a few months to read through this, I don't remember every story in great detail. Personally, I like Bradbury best when he's writing science fiction or horror (or a combination of the two). But when you're reading so m
David
A couple of years ago, I was wandering through the annual book sale held by my town's library when I found this treasure. It only cost me $2. 884 pages of short stories for $2! A steal. A crime!

This collection of 100 short stories from 1943 to 1980 has been a joy to read. I've been able to re-connect with old favorites and discover new (to me) ones. It's like stepping back in time, to when the library stacks were tall and hallowed.

In this collection you'll find a wide variety of stories spanni
Jacob
Arthur C. Clarke once quipped that "Politicians should read science fiction, not westerns and detective stories." I don't dispute that, but wouldn't recommend they begin with this volume.

This book contains 100 of Ray Bradbury's short stories, published between the 1940s and 1980; I only noted seven that I think are particularly worth reading again. For me, the stories largely lacked tension and mystery and I rarely liked the characters. The characters in the stories were introduced poorly; it wo
Tom Harold
I am glad that so many of Bradbury's stories are available between a single set of covers. There's so much great stuff all together. You don't have to go searching all over to find them. If you're only going to buy one collection of Bradbury's short work, this one will cover about anything you'd want to read by him.

I can understand that some may not like the sci-fi works, as today they may feel dated. The possibility of life on Mars was new at the time, and Bradbury explored it a great deal wit
Huntsville-Madiso...: Staff Pick - Stories of Ray Bradbury 3 16 Oct 15, 2013 07:31AM
  • The Essential Ellison
  • The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke
  • The Very Best of Fantasy & Science Fiction: Sixtieth Anniversary Anthology
  • Untouched By Human Hands
  • Hawthorne's Short Stories
  • Ten Thousand Light-Years From Home
  • The Ultimate Egoist (Complete Stories of Theodore Sturgeon #1)
  • Bleeding Shadows
  • A is for Alien
  • Collected Stories, Vol. 1
  • Just an Ordinary Day: The Uncollected Stories
  • The Last Mimzy
  • Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella & Other Classic Fairy Tales of Charles Perrault
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 1
  • The Island of Dr. Death and Other Stories and Other Stories
  • The World Treasury of Science Fiction
  • The Science Fiction of Edgar Allan Poe
American novelist, short story writer, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and poet, was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois. He graduated from a Los Angeles high school in 1938. Although his formal education ended there, he became a "student of life," selling newspapers on L.A. street corners from 1938 to 1942, spending his nights in the public library and his days at the typewriter. He bec ...more
More about Ray Bradbury...
Fahrenheit 451 The Martian Chronicles Something Wicked This Way Comes (Green Town, #2) The Illustrated Man Dandelion Wine (Green Town, #1)

“This is the kind of life I've had. Drunk, and in charge of a bicycle, as an Irish police report once put it. Drunk with life, that is, and not knowing where off to next. But you're on your way before dawn. And the trip? Exactly one half terror, exactly one half exhilaration.” 5 likes