A Yuletide Universe: Sixteen Fantastical Tales

A Yuletide Universe: Sixteen Fantastical Tales

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The contributors to this Christmas anthology include well-known writers with strong fan followings such as Bram Stoker and Hugo Award-winning author of "American Gods" Neil Gaiman, Hugo Award winner Connie Willis, Anne McCaffrey, Harlan Ellison, Clive Barker, and many others.
Published June 27th 2009 by Aspect (first published November 1st 2003)

Lindsay Stares
Review from Dec 2013

Hooray! Despite opening with an epigraph/poem that made me cringe (it started out rhyming, and then… stopped?) this was a much better collection of holiday cheer than the others I've read this year.

My favorite stories are starred(*).

The collection opens with three super-short pieces:
“Nicholas Was . . .” by Neil Gaiman, 1989
“Cyber-Claus” by William Gibson, 1991
* “Holiday” by Richard Christian Matheson, 1982

The Gaiman and Gibson are brief and forgettable, but the Matheson (this...more
Roger
Each year in December, I try to read a book with a Christmas theme. This year, it was a book of sixteen short stories that were characterized as science fiction.
Although they are stories written by authors that have made their living in the science fiction genre, these stories are not really science fiction. The only clear exception was "Cyber-Claus" by William Gibson.
Two of the stories I had read in previous collections, but were still welcome here. The Neil Gaiman story ("Nicholas was...") w...more
Vanessa
This wonderful short story collection adds an unique sci-fi/fantasy twist to the typical holiday characters and legends. Even the book cover has a bright and detailed illustration to put you in a holiday mood. "The Yattering and Jack" by Clive Barker, "Miracle" by Connie Willis, "Nackles" by Donald E. Westlake and "Nicholas Was..." by Neil Gaiman were some of my favorite stories among others. I hope to revisit this book again each year or so.
Unwisely
It was a collection of short stories by different authors, and was kind of hit or miss. More miss than hit, though. (The best story was Connie Willis's, and it was in her Xmas collection, which I remember liking.)

I'm not a big fan of that holiday, but there wasn't a good grinchy story in there, either.
Dawn
Eh. Some of these weren't bad - particularly the funny ones. Some were kind of dumb or just didn't make much sense. The clever ones are rare. But there were a few worth reading.
David
Santa Claus used quite
Heavily, mostly not well.
Still, some fun concepts.
Steven Strader
Steven Strader marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
BeckBe
BeckBe added it
Dec 26, 2013
Marco Jean-Bob
Marco Jean-Bob marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2013
Pizza
Pizza added it
Nov 20, 2013
Ariel
Ariel marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2013
Nyssa
Nyssa marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2012
Bo
Bo marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2012
Alex
Alex added it
Nov 02, 2011
Brian Thomsen was a founding editor of the Questar Science Fiction line of books, and served as managing fiction editor at TSR, Inc.; he also wrote over 30 short stories, and collaborated with Julius Schwartz on Schwartz's autobiography. He also worked as the publisher for TSR's Periodicals Department at one point. He was a consulting editor at Tor Books; as an author he was a Hugo Award nominee.

H...more
More about Brian M. Thomsen...
Realms of the Arcane (Forgotten Realms: Anthologies, #5) The Mage in the Iron Mask (Forgotten Realms: The Nobles, #4) Once Around the Realms (Forgotten Realms) The American Fantasy Tradition The Reel Stuff