Start by marking “Soul Music” as Want to Read:
Soul Music

Soul Music (Discworld #16)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  40,404 ratings  ·  775 reviews
When her dear old Granddad -- the Grim Reaperhimself -- goes missing, Susan takes over the family business. The progeny of Death's adopted daughter and his apprentice, she shows real talent for the trade. That is until a little string in her heart goes twang.With a head full of dreams and a pocketful of lint, Imp the Bard lands in Ankh-Morpork, yearning to become a rock st ...more
Published July 17th 2007 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Soul Music, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soul Music

Ashley
“He had the feeling, once again, that he’d missed out on something somewhere. He’d never really realized it until the last couple of days. He didn’t know what it was. He just wanted to do things. He didn’t know what they were. But he wanted to do them soon.”

“There are millions of chords. There are millions of numbers. And everyone forgets the one that is a zero. But without the zero, numbers are just arithmetic. Without the empty chord, music is just noise.”

It was just happenstance that the fi
Melki
Now do you believe in rock and roll?
Can music save your mortal soul?
Don MacLean

A fab foursome causes wizards to shake, rattle and roll, and manages to bring some hot times (not to mention broken furniture) to the Mended Drum. Suddenly, there's an earworm loose in Discworld, and now everyone's got their toes-a-tappin' and a song in their hearts.

Though I can't say exactly what was wrong, this one fell flat for me. It squeaks by with 3 stars ONLY because I liked the Death of Rats, Susan, the swing
Gavin
Not up there with the best of his stuff, but I should point out at this juncture that since Guards Guards he's been getting marked on a scale relative only to his other books. If I'd picked up this book last week written by some po-dunk nobody it'd be getting five stars and I'd be desperately googling them for websites, blogs and news of their next release.

Soul Music is a slightly unbalanced pair of narratives, one about the infringing of rock and roll into the Discworld and the other a rather s
Tfitoby
Remain In Print
Sir Terry Pratchett
1948 - 2015

Once upon a time I was given a book voucher from my school and with that book voucher I went straight out and made sure I could actually own a Discworld novel rather than having to go to the library. It just so happened to be that small window in time when I would have preferred a Disc novel about music with rocks in than one with moving pictures, and so for a while Soul Music was my favourite book about life on Disc.

I went on to criticise the anima
Richard
6.5/10

Another solid entry into the Discworld series and the Death sub series (although Death has a relatively small amount of screen time) which this time tackles Rock 'n Roll coming to the Discworld. I love Rock 'n Roll and I enjoy humour so what's not to like?

The book started really well and got two differing strands of story line going, one with Rock 'n Roll and the other with Death going AWOL so his Granddaughter, Susan, has to take up the mantle and start to run the show. As the story progr
Brooke
I am convinced that Sir Pratchett wrote this book for the sole reason of putting in a "grateful Death" joke.

It wasn't my favorite Discworld book, but the phrase "Music With Rocks In" is so charmingly Pratchett that I kind of wanted to hug it.
Daniel
Iskreno rečeno ovo mi je nekako do sada najslabija knjiga u disk svetu. Glavni problem je što imam osećaj ko da sam već čitao knjigu pošto mi dosta stavri podseća na Erika. I sam humor mi u većem delu nije bio tolko zabavan. Ima par baš smešnih situacija ali sve ukupan osećaj je na žalost više jedan veliki MEH.

Al dobro idemo dalje.
Ben Crozier
Falls into the category of Disc World novels where he is moving through obvious targets such as the music or film industry lacks the bite or philosophical insight you would hope or expect.
Glimmerfee
Wie immer ein kluger Lesespaß und ein vergnüglicher Aufenthalt auf der Scheibenwelt.
Mitticus
(Leí este libro a dos bandas, en inglés y en español al mismo tiempo, así que probablemente debería valer por dos)

Probably you'll enjoy more this book if you like music, or should I say if you have something to do with music or music business.

Is the story of a band of friends that joins the rocky way that leads for a new form of music, a sort of infection of strange proportions that affects to almost all in Discworld.

And it is the story of a grandfather and his granddaughter trying to understan
David Sarkies
Mar 21, 2015 David Sarkies rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: You known who you are
Recommended to David by: Stewart Wymer
Shelves: comedy
Rock n Roll invades the Discworld
26 July 2014

Well, I can't believe that I have just finished my 16th Terry Pratchett Discworld novel, and that is over two years (no, not sixteen books in two years, 16 Discworld novels in two years) since I decided that I would give Pratchett the benefit of the doubt and actually read them again prior to writing up a commentary, and this isn't even the last of the Discworld novels on my 'to read' list (I think there are another six, which would bring it up to Th
Menteith
To this day, this book remains the best commentary on rock and roll, and the rock and roll phenomenon, that I have ever read.

The book opens with Death deciding to retire... again. This time, there's no apprentice to fill the shoes, but the apprentice had a daughter... Death's daughter. So the task of being Death falls on a young girl in a boarding school for rich, noble children who knows nothing about the skeletons in the family closet. Death of Rats, along with Albert, attempt to educate her,
Rev. Nyarkoleptek
With the exception of The Color of Magic, this is the only Discworld novel I did not like. I'm not entirely sure why; maybe when compared with the lofty subject matter Pratchett has tackled in the other books, a fantasy novel about rock music seemed frivolous. Pratchett definitely belabored the Elf jokes (you'd recognize them); really, once was enough, and twice was pushing it. Past that, I was telling the pages that I got the joke, and would they cut it out. They didn't listen.

However, if I app
Malin
Susan Sto Helit goes to a boarding school, and for the lessons she's less interested in, she has a tendency to fade into the woodwork - literally. Susan has the ability to fade away, should she so wish it. Turns out, this is because her grandfather is none other than Death, and when he goes missing, Susan, as his closest relative, is required to take over his duties for a while. Being deeply pragmatic and rational, thanks to her first rate education, it takes Susan a while to be persuaded, even ...more
Melissa McShane
Re-read 4/22/15: same as below. Only this time in memoriam.

I re-read Discworld novels when I need to read something but can't afford to start something potentially time-sucking, so I've read this several times already. So I was surprised to realize something I hadn't before that I'm sure was obvious to everyone else. The premise is that the music made by the first musical instrument--the first guitar--is alive and wants to spread. It makes its hearers start dressing like '50s greasers and bobby-
Morgue Anne
I borrowed this book from my boyfriend (at his insistence) early in our relationship thinking "Alright, he's being cute and giving me his idea of a 'good book' because he knows I'm a reader. Just smile and pretend you liked it, Tori." To my surprise, I actually did enjoy this book. I tend to avoid the "fantasy" or "science fiction" genre, simply because I don't like learning a whole extra world, but this one was so close to our own that the transition was smooth.
Similar in concept at the very l
Cherie
It may not make sense, but I liked this story more with my heart than with my head.

I loved the play on words throughout the music parts with "Buddy Holly" aka Imp y Celyn and the day that the music almost didn't die for The Band With Rocks In at Dead Man's Curve.

It might have been a little drawn out, but it was a typical Discworld story, strange characters and all.

I even liked Susan. What I didn't understand was why The Librarian was dropped from the band.
Katrice
I'm afraid I have to admit am a bit underwhelmed. I mean its clever and funny and cheeky but the story line kinda isn't that great. Or maybe its because were rather far along in the whole Diskworld blah blah and I didn't really get the in-jokes.

I will say this, wow, Pratchett. Your music as a deity is kinda grim. At the end WANTING people to burn out rather then fade away. Driving them to it. Harsh.
Tracey
Dec 21, 2007 Tracey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who've sold (or at least rented for a bit) their soul to rock & roll.
Shelves: re-read
After reading some rather heavy & depressing books (James Morrow & Kurt Vonnegut), I figured I'd lighten things up with Soul Music, a re-read from the Discworld series.

Imp y Celyn, a bard from Llamedos, comes to Ankh-Morpork to find his fortune. He joins up with a dwarf and a troll, buys a mysterious guitar from an unusual music shop & discovers (or is discovered by) a new type of music - "music with rocks in". At the same time, Death begins to question his purpose and goes wandering
Kaethe
February 19, 2008

Death takes a sort of holiday, so the Death of Rats goes looking for Death's granddaughter to fill the gap. Susan is off in boarding school, being an unusually practical teenager with no memory of her grandfather, when she gets the message. Meanwhile a bard, a troll, and a dwarf meet up and form a band and a magical guitar introduces the idea of Music with Rocks in to the Discworld.

The magic that is unleashed has more to do with lampooning record company contracts than the typic
Anna
This one somehow seemed for a long time to lack the usual end twist Pratchett tends to do, but it was there in the end after all. Just a bit too late, in my opinion, since it took me quite a long time to finish this. Most Pratchett books keep me reading until too late in the evening when I get to the last hundred or so pages, here it was the last 40 or 50.

At least I understood more jokes than usual, since I had the privilege to read some samples of a thesis written about this book in particular
Kalin
Soul Music was, I guess, my first true love. Um, I mean with Terry Pratchett. Um, I mean ... you know what I mean. :D

So much so that when I had to pick the topic of my 4,000-word IB extended essay, there was no room for doubt. It had to be Susan. And Death. And the Music With Rocks In. And the life-saving, human-defining importance of rebellion. (Teen angst, ha! teen me would fume. What d'you grown-ups know?)

Meet 4,000-word essay here:

WARNING: Even though this is the
Lobo
Terry Pratchett Korongvilág sorozatait eddig 3 részre lehetett osztani. A boszokrányos, az őrséges meg az egyéb. Ez most éppen az egyéb kategória, bár itt ott megjelennek az éjjeli őrség tagjai, de a történet most nem róluk szól. Viszont rögtön két szálon fut, ami aztán persze összegabalyodik.

Először is ott van Zsuzsa, aki annyira bele tud olvadni a környezetébe, hogy gyakran elfeledkeznek róla, mintha láthatatlan lenne. Aztán egy éjszaka kiderül számára, hogy amit a családi legendákból csak mes
Duncan Mandel
SUMMARY: A satirical comedy on the subject of death. It begins when Death decides to take a holiday and turns over the shop to his granddaughter, Susan, with the assistance of Death of Rats, a rat skeleton. Unfortunately, Susan does not have the stomach for such a heartless trade and this threatens the success of the establishment. By the author of The Light Fantastic. This 13th novel set in Discworld tells the story of Death's granddaughter, who inherited the job and grew to enjoy it. Amd of Im ...more
Maarika Luts
Sisaldas küllaldasel hulgal huumorit ja põnevust. Lõpu kulminatsioon tekitas küll elevust, aga mitte sellist tunnet nagu "wow seda ei ma küll ei oleks arvanud", asi võib olla ka selles, et Pratchettiga olen juba harjunud mõttega, et vähemalt üks universum hävib/muutub/taassünnib, mis *spoiler!* ka juhtub, aga ei olnud peategelase (olen ikka veel segaduses kes see on..) võitlust vangladimensiooni koletistega/jumalatega/muude (Kettamaailma kohta)üleloomulike olenditega, mis oleks sellele põnevust ...more
Jorge Rosas
With such a memory, no wonder why HE does what HE does, at the beginning it felt like the Reaper Man skeleton all over again, but it probably was just that, so we have two main plots and a wizard sub plot. The music with rocks, I really enjoyed those parts (having read some of those while listening to a concert kind of improves the experience) joking about the plot clichés and even of himself while we advance the history. Susan could have used more time in scene and a little more development eve ...more
Jade
Another great Pratchett which takes the idea of music having a soul and life of its own which inhabits and drives the disc world. I really enjoyed this book because it gave me a little bit of all the characters I love, swapping between death, the city guards, wizards and other interesting characters whom I'm becoming to know well. This book also introduces Susan, deaths granddaughter and let's us love him in a new and more insightful way.

My only draw back was, given,the amount of characters in t
Jeanette
"She was not an unkind woman, despite a lifetime of being gently dried out on the stove of education..." (4)

"...she was brilliant in the same way that a diamond is brilliant, all edges and chilliness." (5)

"And then he'd said things, and he'd said things, and suddenly the world was a new and unpleasant place, because things can't be unsaid." (9)

"The man gave a shrug that indicated that, although the world did indeed have many problems, this was one of them that was not his." (27)

"It was a strange
Leah
Until today, I had not thought it possible to run up against a Discworld that I didn't enjoy - bar the first two, which don't really count, of course.

But this is a regression, an awkward coupling of two completely separate stories held together with a glue of really, really bad jokes. It almost feels like someone got the order wrong, and this is the third or fourth Discworld novel, written before he quite got control of the reins of the stories that flow out of his fingers like music. Which meta
Simcha Wood
While it is still a very enjoyable book, Soul Music, the 16th entry in the Discworld series, is a bit of a letdown following the string of strong entries that began with the 12th book of the series, Witches Abroad , and continued through to the 15th, Men at Arms .

Soul Music does for rock-and-roll (or, Music With Rocks In, as it is called in the Discworld) what Moving Pictures did for Hollywood. And, structurally, the plot is similar to that of Reaper Man , including, as it does, a storyline
  • Sprout Mask Replica
  • Ye Gods!
  • The Wizards of Odd
  • The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10)
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1) Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1) Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1) Night Watch (Discworld, #29; City Watch #6)

“In theory it was, around now, Literature. Susan hated Literature. She'd much prefer to read a good book.” 295 likes
“It was sad music. But it waved its sadness like a battle flag. It said the universe had done all it could, but you were still alive.” 112 likes