Start by marking “Soul Music” as Want to Read:
Soul Music

Soul Music (Discworld #16)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  45,889 Ratings  ·  949 Reviews
When her dear old Granddad -- the Grim Reaperhimself -- goes missing, Susan takes over the family business. The progeny of Death's adopted daughter and his apprentice, she shows real talent for the trade. That is until a little string in her heart goes twang.With a head full of dreams and a pocketful of lint, Imp the Bard lands in Ankh-Morpork, yearning to become a rock st ...more
Published July 17th 2007 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1994)

José
Apr 22, 2016 José rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the Music With Rocks In
Shelves: discworld
Reseña en español en mi blog: Click Aquí.
Mis otras reseñas de Mundodisco en este enlace.

Death + Rock n' Roll (or music with rocks in, if you are in Discworld). In short, pure awesomeness as every single Pratchett book, totally recommended. Full review soon.

Kalin
Jun 16, 2016 Kalin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Soul Music was, I guess, my first true love. Um, I mean with Terry Pratchett. Um, I mean ... you know what I mean. :D

So much so that when I had to pick the topic of my 4,000-word IB extended essay, there was no room for doubt. It had to be Susan. And Death. And the Music With Rocks In. And the life-saving, human-defining importance of rebellion. (Teen angst, ha! teen me would fume. What d'you grown-ups know?)

Meet 4,000-word essay here:

WARNING: Even though this is the
Ashley
“He had the feeling, once again, that he’d missed out on something somewhere. He’d never really realized it until the last couple of days. He didn’t know what it was. He just wanted to do things. He didn’t know what they were. But he wanted to do them soon.”

“There are millions of chords. There are millions of numbers. And everyone forgets the one that is a zero. But without the zero, numbers are just arithmetic. Without the empty chord, music is just noise.”

It was just happenstance that the fi
Melki
Now do you believe in rock and roll?
Can music save your mortal soul?
Don MacLean

A fab foursome causes wizards to shake, rattle and roll, and manages to bring some hot times (not to mention broken furniture) to the Mended Drum. Suddenly, there's an earworm loose in Discworld, and now everyone's got their toes-a-tappin' and a song in their hearts.

Though I can't say exactly what was wrong, this one fell flat for me. It squeaks by with 3 stars ONLY because I liked the Death of Rats, Susan, the swing
Brooke
Jul 20, 2012 Brooke rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2012
I am convinced that Sir Pratchett wrote this book for the sole reason of putting in a "grateful Death" joke.

It wasn't my favorite Discworld book, but the phrase "Music With Rocks In" is so charmingly Pratchett that I kind of wanted to hug it.
Gavin
Jul 09, 2012 Gavin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not up there with the best of his stuff, but I should point out at this juncture that since Guards Guards he's been getting marked on a scale relative only to his other books. If I'd picked up this book last week written by some po-dunk nobody it'd be getting five stars and I'd be desperately googling them for websites, blogs and news of their next release.

Soul Music is a slightly unbalanced pair of narratives, one about the infringing of rock and roll into the Discworld and the other a rather s
Marko Radosavljevic
Jun 18, 2016 Marko Radosavljevic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Visokoumna satira čovečanstva,sa propratnom pričom o muzici,šoubiznisu i porodičnom nasledju,ispisana bez usiljenosti.Bolno istinito pogadja u metu.Ako još neko u mojoj okolini prokomentariše da Pračet piše za decu,šaljem ga kod Vajmsa na prevaspitavanje :-)
Tfitoby
Mar 20, 2015 Tfitoby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastical
Remain In Print
Sir Terry Pratchett
1948 - 2015

Once upon a time I was given a book voucher from my school and with that book voucher I went straight out and made sure I could actually own a Discworld novel rather than having to go to the library. It just so happened to be that small window in time when I would have preferred a Disc novel about music with rocks in than one with moving pictures, and so for a while Soul Music was my favourite book about life on Disc.

I went on to criticise the anima
Richard
Nov 30, 2014 Richard rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy, fantasy
6.5/10

Another solid entry into the Discworld series and the Death sub series (although Death has a relatively small amount of screen time) which this time tackles Rock 'n Roll coming to the Discworld. I love Rock 'n Roll and I enjoy humour so what's not to like?

The book started really well and got two differing strands of story line going, one with Rock 'n Roll and the other with Death going AWOL so his Granddaughter, Susan, has to take up the mantle and start to run the show. As the story progr
Ivan
I re-read this book slowly past few weeks.So slowly I even forgot to added it to GR.

Sadly my initial opinion still remains:This is the worst Discworld book I read (but not worst Pratchett's book that title goes to Long earth).That doesn't mean it's bad book but it's way bellow sir Terry's best works.Death is my second favorite Discworld character (first one being Sam Vimes) but like in Thief of time him Susan ended in totally uninteresting plot with overall very weak cast of characters.
Soul musi
Jeraviz
Feb 17, 2016 Jeraviz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor
Tercer libro del arco argumental de la Muerte. El menos redondo de los tres precisamente porque la Muerte pierde algo de protagonismo centrándose la narración en su nieta, Susan Sto, y en otros secundarios.
Pero aún así, vuelve a conseguir a través del humor llegarte al alma, usando como temas principales la Música y el Deseo en esta ocasión.
Una vez termines tendrás ganas de escuchar la Música con Rocas Dentro.
Daniel
Sep 01, 2015 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Iskreno rečeno ovo mi je nekako do sada najslabija knjiga u disk svetu. Glavni problem je što imam osećaj ko da sam već čitao knjigu pošto mi dosta stavri podseća na Erika. I sam humor mi u većem delu nije bio tolko zabavan. Ima par baš smešnih situacija ali sve ukupan osećaj je na žalost više jedan veliki MEH.

Al dobro idemo dalje.
Nenado
Jun 10, 2016 Nenado rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maj-biblioteq
Kada pročitate: E TO JE PRAVA MUZIKA, S KAMENJEM I ROKANJEM - znate odmah kakav je naslov u pitanju. Duševna muzika. Teri Pračet. Naravno.
Ovo je urnebesna storija o tome kako i na koji način je muzika deo svih nas. A sama muzika, ne može da umre :))
Na kraju, samo da dodam još ovo: Smrt je uvek znala da imenuje stvari pravim imenom, bar tako kaže legenda :D
Ben Crozier
Falls into the category of Disc World novels where he is moving through obvious targets such as the music or film industry lacks the bite or philosophical insight you would hope or expect.
Cassandra
Dec 20, 2014 Cassandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wie immer ein kluger Lesespaß und ein vergnüglicher Aufenthalt auf der Scheibenwelt.
Malin
Susan Sto Helit goes to a boarding school, and for the lessons she's less interested in, she has a tendency to fade into the woodwork - literally. Susan has the ability to fade away, should she so wish it. Turns out, this is because her grandfather is none other than Death, and when he goes missing, Susan, as his closest relative, is required to take over his duties for a while. Being deeply pragmatic and rational, thanks to her first rate education, it takes Susan a while to be persuaded, even ...more
Mitticus
(Leí este libro a dos bandas, en inglés y en español al mismo tiempo, así que probablemente debería valer por dos)

Probably you'll enjoy more this book if you like music, or should I say if you have something to do with music or music business.

Is the story of a band of friends that joins the rocky way that leads for a new form of music, a sort of infection of strange proportions that affects to almost all in Discworld.

And it is the story of a grandfather and his granddaughter trying to understan
David Sarkies
Mar 21, 2015 David Sarkies rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: You known who you are
Recommended to David by: Stewart Wymer
Shelves: comedy
Rock n Roll invades the Discworld
26 July 2014

Well, I can't believe that I have just finished my 16th Terry Pratchett Discworld novel, and that is over two years (no, not sixteen books in two years, 16 Discworld novels in two years) since I decided that I would give Pratchett the benefit of the doubt and actually read them again prior to writing up a commentary, and this isn't even the last of the Discworld novels on my 'to read' list (I think there are another six, which would bring it up to Th
Menteith
Feb 04, 2008 Menteith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To this day, this book remains the best commentary on rock and roll, and the rock and roll phenomenon, that I have ever read.

The book opens with Death deciding to retire... again. This time, there's no apprentice to fill the shoes, but the apprentice had a daughter... Death's daughter. So the task of being Death falls on a young girl in a boarding school for rich, noble children who knows nothing about the skeletons in the family closet. Death of Rats, along with Albert, attempt to educate her,
Rev. Nyarkoleptek
With the exception of The Color of Magic, this is the only Discworld novel I did not like. I'm not entirely sure why; maybe when compared with the lofty subject matter Pratchett has tackled in the other books, a fantasy novel about rock music seemed frivolous. Pratchett definitely belabored the Elf jokes (you'd recognize them); really, once was enough, and twice was pushing it. Past that, I was telling the pages that I got the joke, and would they cut it out. They didn't listen.

However, if I app
Melissa McShane
Jul 14, 2015 Melissa McShane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, fantasy, humor
Re-read 4/22/15: same as below. Only this time in memoriam.

I re-read Discworld novels when I need to read something but can't afford to start something potentially time-sucking, so I've read this several times already. So I was surprised to realize something I hadn't before that I'm sure was obvious to everyone else. The premise is that the music made by the first musical instrument--the first guitar--is alive and wants to spread. It makes its hearers start dressing like '50s greasers and bobby-
Morgue Anne
Feb 12, 2008 Morgue Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I borrowed this book from my boyfriend (at his insistence) early in our relationship thinking "Alright, he's being cute and giving me his idea of a 'good book' because he knows I'm a reader. Just smile and pretend you liked it, Tori." To my surprise, I actually did enjoy this book. I tend to avoid the "fantasy" or "science fiction" genre, simply because I don't like learning a whole extra world, but this one was so close to our own that the transition was smooth.
Similar in concept at the very l
Cherie
Apr 19, 2015 Cherie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It may not make sense, but I liked this story more with my heart than with my head.

I loved the play on words throughout the music parts with "Buddy Holly" aka Imp y Celyn and the day that the music almost didn't die for The Band With Rocks In at Dead Man's Curve.

It might have been a little drawn out, but it was a typical Discworld story, strange characters and all.

I even liked Susan. What I didn't understand was why The Librarian was dropped from the band.
Nayeomi
Aug 28, 2015 Nayeomi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
so many references, i actually enjoyed this very much!!!
TP novels do not disappoint.
Μιτς Γιωτίξ
Not as good as the other Death-centered novels, sadly...I'd say 3.5/5.
Katrice
I'm afraid I have to admit am a bit underwhelmed. I mean its clever and funny and cheeky but the story line kinda isn't that great. Or maybe its because were rather far along in the whole Diskworld blah blah and I didn't really get the in-jokes.

I will say this, wow, Pratchett. Your music as a deity is kinda grim. At the end WANTING people to burn out rather then fade away. Driving them to it. Harsh.
Kathleen Dixon
I can never get over my admiration for Pratchett. His cleverness and his wide-ranging knowledge are phenomenal. In some of his books I get all the jokes, because I've got a good working knowledge of the subjects he's lampooning; in others I get some of them and know that there are many more that I don't get because the subject matters are not ones I'm particularly familiar with. For example, it's obvious that there are so many British political jokes - very few of those make it further than my e ...more
Shira Glassman
What can I say? It's this book. It's Pratchett's amazing blend of "love song to fantasy tropes" and "cynical sense of humor", plus storytelling genius, only applied to the only thing that's ever competed with Judaism for my religious belief: music. (Which as it turns out isn't really a conflict, but I didn't know that when I was 15.)

ALL kinds of music! Not just rock/R&B/popular stuff, as the plot would imply, but also opera (VALKYRIES! REAL ONES! and possibly even references to Beckmesser fr
Adi
Aug 24, 2015 Adi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Имам сериозни опасения, че не съм разбрала и половината препратки и закачки в тази книга. Което не може да попречи на удоволствието от четенето, нито на чувството за близост със Смърт /Знам!/
Музика на душата разказва за раждането на музиката с камъни в нея. Жива е, кара те да искаш да боядисаш стените на стаята си в черно и да си купиш китара. И да свириш! Тя също е и за търсенето на смисъл, дълга, славата и Смърт, който кара мотор.
Музика на душата успя да ме усмихне, когато си мислех, че нищо н
Gabriel Pinto
Feb 04, 2016 Gabriel Pinto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Qué gran escritor de fantasía era Terry Pratchett. Acá, mientras cuenta una comedia en torno a la música rock, con alusiones muy graciosas al mundo del rock (especialmente del punk) y todas las ridiculeces que lo rodean (managers incluidos), Pratchett realiza un emotivo relato sobre la memoria y el paso de la adolescencia a... la post adolescencia.
Quizás, eso es lo que más se va a echar de menos ahora que está muerto: su capacidad de entrelazar tantas ideas, de manera hilarante, con un brillante
  • The Garden of Unearthly Delights
  • Ye Gods!
  • The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10)

“In theory it was, around now, Literature. Susan hated Literature. She'd much prefer to read a good book.” 352 likes
“It was sad music. But it waved its sadness like a battle flag. It said the universe had done all it could, but you were still alive.” 132 likes