This Incredible Need to Believe

This Incredible Need to Believe

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  5 reviews
This work skillfully upends our deeply entrenched ideas about religion, belief, and the thought of a renowned psychoanalyst and critic.
Published October 1st 2009 by Columbia University Press (first published August 30th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about This Incredible Need to Believe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Incredible Need to Believe

Andrew
So, I think I have waited too long to encounter Kristeva; this is the first of her writings I've ever read, and I found it provocative, even moving.

The bulk of this (brief) book is an extensive interview with Carmine Donzelli that starts with the question, "Can one speak of the 'need to believe' from a secular point of view?," then ranges across topics including mysticism, adolescent suffering, the clash of fundamentalist faiths, missteps of secularism, feminine genius and others, within an over...more
Al Bità
This small book consists of an introductory letter, two interviews, a lecture and two newspaper articles. For the ordinary lay person it is virtually unreadable, full as it is of self-reflective, multiple-associations, qualified by numerous adjectives, and almost narcissistic cross-referencing: the sort of stuff one tends to find in postmodernist/poststructuralist writing. One feels one is digging through mounds of word-rubble in a vain effort to find some kind of solid structure within or under...more
Andrew
Several people asked me about this book as I was reading it and being Catholic, assumed it was about why there are reasons for religious faith. Even the description on the outer/inner jacket suggest something like that. I think Kristeva gave the best summary of where she's coming from when she speaks of "prereligious belief." She's curious to understand the psychic space that exists before we start forming these identities of religion, politics, etc.
Wuhan
When people ask me "What do you believe?" I want to ask "What is belief?" Nobody seems to know. This is one of the few books I've found that gets near asking that question, and it is a humdinger.
Cassandre G
Cassandre G marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
J.
J. marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Nana Garejeli
Nana Garejeli marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Green Day
Green Day marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Krista
Krista added it
Jul 04, 2014
Benjamin
Benjamin marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Yara
Yara marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Franco
Franco marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Teresa Carson
Teresa Carson marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Valton Marku
Valton Marku marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Micaela
Micaela marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Kristen Sabol
Kristen Sabol marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Kevin Johnston
Kevin Johnston marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Janina
Janina marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
M
M marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Stefani
Stefani marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Shannon Donovan
Shannon Donovan marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Paul Galloway
Paul Galloway marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Shawn
Shawn is currently reading it
Feb 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Julia Kristeva is a French psychoanalyst, sociologist, critic and philosopher. She researches on psychoanalysis of the Lacanian tradition, and has interest in semiotics. She also founded the Simone de Beauvoir Prize.
More about Julia Kristeva...
Powers of Horror: An Essay on Abjection Black Sun: Depression and Melancholia Desire in Language: A Semiotic Approach to Literature and Art Strangers to Ourselves Revolution in Poetic Language (European Perspectives Series)

“That faith be analyzable does not necessarily imply a method for getting by without it. . . .” 9 likes