Hanging Woman Creek

Hanging Woman Creek

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  878 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Barnabus Pike is no gunfighter and not much of a street fighter. Eddie Holt is a black boxer in a white man's world. They've both taken their share of hard knocks. Now they're looking to survive a brutal winter in a remote Montana line shack, collect their pay, and settle down for good. Then they cross paths with a hardworking Irish immigrant and his beautiful, spirited si...more
Published August 1st 1994 by Bantam (first published April 1964)

Greg
This is standard Louis L'Amour fare. He has said that he literally "walked the land my characters walk," and from time to time, I find myself researching and even visiting (upon occasion) places described in his books. I've never found him to claim historical events or geographical places as true when his claim wasn't supported. This version of Hanging Woman Creek came with a rough map in the front showing the locations of some of the places described in the book. On a recent vacation, we actual...more
Another plane ride...

I liked that the main character was a bit more ordinary than the usual L'Amour hero. But I wish that Eddie Holt hadn't been killed off. I liked him.
Faith
L'Amour is a wonderful storyteller. Westerns aren't what I'd normally choose to read, but I picked this up out of curiosity and I was happily surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

This is the story of Pronto Pike's turning point in life. Pike's a cowhand drifting from job to job, enjoying a few fights between jobs. He and a new friend take a job in Eastern Montana and the story deals with rustlers, vigilantes, ranchers and homesteaders. Pike turns out to be a hero the reader totally likes - not per...more
Benjamin Thomas
No Matter how many times I read a Louis L'Amour book from my "to be read" pile (or shelves in my case) I seem to still have about 5 left to read. I'm beginning to think they are breeding. Nevertheless, I always seem to enjoy them and really tend to use them as breaks between larger novels. With over a hundred novels and short story collections published I am constantly amazed when I read one of his books and discover a whole new actual story and not just a repetition of something he's done befor...more
Rebecca Hill
Not sure what to think of the book. It was not my usual genre and was written some time ago, which showed in the writing style. The characters were OK, not exceptionally strong or thoroughly developed. It would have been great to hear more about the homesteader and his sister, who end up as main characters to the tale with a minor introduction. The friendship between Pronto and Eddie was well written, yet it felt the friendship ended so the rest of the story could be wrapped up in a neat little...more
Theron
Nov 14, 2012 Theron added it
So this book caught my attention right away. If a book can catch my attention like this one did then its a good book. Eddie is a African man in boxing. Pike is not a good fighter at all. But he fights this winter pretty good. This wasnt just a winter it was a really brutal one. they dont go through it alone they go through this with his sister and she burned there land down. They haunted crazy. They will do anything for there lives. This is a great book to read.
Mom/aka:Annette
I'm reluctant to compare novels and authors but, . . this one is not as fluent as the other famous cowboy author, Zane Grey. (Who I feel is a better writer even though I've only read one book for each author.)
L'Amour is pleasant enough in this novelette to carry along the storyline, even though I couldn't always follow the reasoning of the main character, caught in the evils of the bad guy. No Indians in this story, sad.
Josh Doerksen
This is a story about two cowboys who find a job in Montana for a rancher who wants them to work through the winter on a line shack. There are sudden and mysterious things that happen including a house and barn that get burned down to the ground. This is another one of Louis lamours famous books and I would recommend it to some one who likes reading adventure westerns.
Mgsmith
Pulp reads of the very best kind.
Louis L’Amour treats with prejudice and greed well in this one. As usual the west is the setting, a simple pair of men becoming heroes because it is the right thing to do. How much better can a book be?
Denise
Needed a shot of western story telling and this was just what the Dr ordered. A fast moving story about a Cowpoke and a friend he finds along the way. A little love story and good vs bad on the trail.
Jeff Anderson
An attempt at addressing race relations in the 1800's. May have been groundbreaking in its day, but fell a little flat for me. Again, kept my interest, great story, but a little disappointing in the end.
Rachel Huddleston
Being my first "real" western to read, it took me awhile to get into it. But once I did, it had me "hook, line, and sinker". I will definitely be reading another soon.
Jeff Dickison
Very good western about two buddies who get caught up in rustling/vigilante action and must fight. Recommended for western fans.
Lan B
I liked the exciting parts in this book like when he got fired. I liked this book because it is historical fiction.
Janet
Mar 13, 2008 Janet rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Janet by: my friend Jim
What a great story. Kept my interest through-out the book. I really have enjoy all of Louis L'amour's books.
Charles
a really good one with one of the best fist fight scenes I've ever read.
Keith Bell
The essence of almost every Louis L'Amour story appear in this one.
Partridge Public
Nov 20, 2007 Partridge Public added it  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: L'Am West PB
Shelves: western
L'Amour, Louis PB
Sharon
Unwilling and unlikely heroes stand up for Right.
J
Shelves: 2012-new
A
  • The Spirit of the Border
  • The Time It Never Rained
  • Nevada! (Wagons West, #8)
  • Hombre
  • The Last Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #1)
  • St Agnes' Stand
  • Shane
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...
Last of the Breed The Walking Drum Sackett's Land (The Sacketts, #1) Hondo The Lonesome Gods