Start by marking “Twitterville” as Want to Read:
Twitterville

Twitterville

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Twitter is the most rapidly adopted communication tool in history, going from zero to ten million users in just over two years. On Twitter, word can spread faster than wildfire. Companies no longer have the option of ignoring the conversation.
Unlike other hot social media spaces, "Twitterville" is dominated by professionals, not students. And despite its size, it still f
Published September 3rd 2009 by Portfolio (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Twitterville, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twitterville

Douglas
So many social media books are light on examples but full of opinions. Shel Israel has written an incredible book that documents the birth and growth of Twitter in the business community. Shel walks through examples for profitable businesses, non-profit and charitable businesses and even touches on government use of Twitter. As well, he includes remarkable stories of humanity and how Twitter is changing the world we live in.

This book is a must read for any social media or marketing professional.
Daniel Fell
Despite the somewhat trite title, this book is really a great view into the making of the Twitter brand and a good primer on successful social media strategies and tactics. Israel - also author of Naked Conversations - does a good job of balancing his obvious role as social media champion with a reporter's style for approaching the topic objectively at the same time. I would recommend for anyone involved in marketing, communications or social media today.
Aleesa Sutton
Not only useful - well, actually, a must-read for anyone who wants to engage with others over Twitter - but fascinating. He had me at the opening chapter with "James Buck Gets Out of Jail and Inspires This Book."
R.Z.
This is not so much a step by step in using Twitter, but rather an inspiration as to how Twitter can benefit those who are looking for a way to use it productively. Excellent book.
W.G.T. Fernando
Twitter has been in existence since 2006 but yet I only created my own twitter account in February of 2009 (you can see exact date by visiting http://www.whendidyoujointwitter.com and typing my account name ‘gihangamos’). That was also the month we created this magazine (http://diGIT.lk) and when I received a very friendly email from a fellow Sri Lankan who was living in USA. She gave us words of encouragement and suggestions to improve the readership of diGIT. That’s when she also suggested I s ...more
Kristen
Although this isn't about libraries at all, I'm putting it on my "library" shelf because that's why I read it--to see how libraries could use Twitter to better promote their services and connect with their communities. I'm a latecomer to the Twitter bandwagon. While I love Facebook, I've never even wanted a Twitter account, considering it pretty stupid. However, more and more libraries are using Twitter, and I knew that to be employable I'd better figure it out. And reading this book gave me a h ...more
Emily
This book really opened my eyes to the number of different applications Twitter can have for businesses. It was full of real-world examples. I did get a bit tired of it 3/4 of the way through but I would recommend reading at least the first half if you're interested in how Twitter can transform your business for the better.
Sean Bailey
In the end, this book is not without it’s flaws (some bigger than others). It is, however, a great handbook on examples of Twitter’s use in business. My recommendation is to pick it up, however if you do, do it soon; the book is completely relevant, but as with anything involving social media, it can quickly become not so.
Adam Park
This book is kind of dated, now that we've already put all those early years of Twitter behind us. Twitterville still rings true in this world where social media takes center stage. Replace the word Twitter in this book with Facebook, for instance, and you'll get deeper insight into how social media works. Hence, four stars.
Krystal
I have been on Twitter personally for quite some time now but as I get ready to start tweeting for my job, it was an invaluable resource to help me understand what is expected from a more professional aspect. It helped me really know what I wanted to do with my work's twitter account before I ever created it.
Joshua Kucera
Jan 30, 2010 Joshua Kucera rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joshua by: banderas1@aol.com
Very interesting book for trying to figure out what all the fuss about Twitter is. If you are in to social media and networking I would definitely recommend this book. I still don't know how to use Twitter however this book made me want to learn.
Kathleen Rainwater
If you are thinking about using Twitter to promote your business, be sure to read this book first. Twitter can create both PR nightmares and highly successful branding. The book is full of examples on how to use and how NOT to use Twitter
Graham Page
It gave interesting insight into how twitter evolved, and how it can be used. I am still not totally convinced of the usefulness of the medium but did find it to be helpful and informative.
Hichantel
Interesting book. Gives a good overview of how Twitter is and can be used. Explains how to get started, some Twitter etiquette (Twitiquette?), and provides some additional resources.
PJ
I experimented on Twitter while reading this book and found it more useful than I expected. It helped that one of my favourite authors replied my tweet!
Peter Galamaga
Mildly interesting book about how Twitter is revolutionizing the marketing world. Lots of examples, bit light on practical how-to advice.
Annmarie
Israel provides an overview of Twitter and its history, with examples of how companies have used it. Moderately interesting.
Mmiller400m
I learned what I wanted to about Twitter through this book and was even inspired to start an account and dip a toe in.
Cathryn
A little more theoretical than the title/marketing copy indicated, but gives an overview of the Twitter world.
Laura Cococcia
Coming out in September - my recent interview with author Shel Israel gives a sneak preview: http://tinyurl.com/mupw9u
Gail Klanchesser
One of the first social media books I read. Good examples of the reach and importance of twitter and social media.
Linda
Feb 18, 2010 Linda marked it as started-then-set-aside  ·  review of another edition
I keep having to relinquish this book because everyone is putting it on hold. Perhaps the marketing creatures.
Craig Thomler
Good fly over the twitter landscape, providing brief, but useful views of many of the uses of the service.
Wendy
Great if you want to understand why twitter has worked-- author shares success stories and more
whynnot
i highly recommend it to anyone using Twitter for business
Hayley Hutchison
Great book on how businesses can use Twitter effectively.
John Pilmer
What a great study in how to use Twitter for business.
Emily
slightly helpful, but too long!!
Francine
Good book on real use cases of Twitter.
Scott
Shel Israel gives many great case studies and excellent guidance for people conversing using twitter. I would recommend to anyone who is currently using social media in general. I think that lessons learn and advice outlined would also apply to FB, LI and other forms of social media - however - obiously twitter is the best platform for what he has to offer.

I have been using twitter for several months now and Shel's book added very good perspective and value add that I can apply to my use of twi
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Networked Nonprofit: Connecting with Social Media to Drive Change
  • Rubies in the Orchard: How to Uncover the Hidden Gems in Your Business
  • Say Everything: How Blogging Began, What It's Becoming, and Why It Matters
  • The Whuffie Factor: The 5 Keys for Maxing Social Capital and Winning with Online Communities
  • The Dragonfly Effect: Quick, Effective, and Powerful Ways to Use Social Media to Drive Social Change
  • Open Leadership: How Social Technology Can Transform the Way You Lead
  • Smart Mobs: The Next Social Revolution
  • Trust Agents: Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Reputation, and Earn Trust
  • Social Media Marketing: An Hour a Day
  • Putting the Public Back in Public Relations: How Social Media Is Reinventing the Aging Business of PR
  • The Social Media Marketing Book
  • Power Friending: Demystifying Social Media to Grow Your Business
  • Crowdsourcing: Why the Power of the Crowd Is Driving the Future of Business
  • The Secret Thoughts of Successful Women
  • Everything Is Miscellaneous: The Power of the New Digital Disorder
  • The Cluetrain Manifesto
  • Twitter Power: How to Dominate Your Market One Tweet at a Time
  • The Future of Reputation: Gossip, Rumor, and Privacy on the Internet
Naked Conversations: How Blogs Are Changing the Way Businesses Talk with Customers Stellar Presentations: An Entrepreneur's Guide to Giving Great Talks Twitterville Business Blogging Age of Context: Mobile, Sensors, Data and the Future of Privacy