Start by marking “Wolfsbane and Mistletoe” as Want to Read:
Wolfsbane and Mistletoe

Wolfsbane and Mistletoe (Kitty Norville #2.5 - Il est né)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  8,501 ratings  ·  453 reviews
The editors of Many Bloody Returns deliver the perfect howl-iday gift, with new tales from Patricia Briggs, Carrie Vaughn, and many more. New York Times bestselling authors Charlaine Harris, Patricia Briggs, Keri Arthur, and Carrie Vaughn-along with eleven other masters of the genre-offer all-new stories on werewolves and the holidays, a fresh variation on the concept that ...more
Published October 7th 2008 by Ace Books

To ask other readers questions about Wolfsbane and Mistletoe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolfsbane and Mistletoe

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Mav
Generally, the best stories in here are the ones not set in any of the worlds of the author's books and the werewolf and Christmas themes are closely tied together.

Gift Wrap by Charlaine Harris 3/5
A story about Sookie from Harris's Southern Vampires series. Sookie finds herself alone on Christmas Eve. Or so she thinks. Features the strangest Christmas gift a relative can give.

The Haire of the Beast by Donna Andrews 3/5
A college T.A.'s brother wants her to make him a spell that'll turn him into
Julie (jjmachshev)
"Wolfsbane and Mistletoe" is an anthology containing werewolf stories by 15 different authors including Keri Arthur, Patricia Briggs, Karen Chance, Simon R Green, Charlaine Harris, and Carrie Vaughn, among others. There's something for everyone here as the stories range from humorous to scary, a little spicy to plain vanilla. Each story is fairly short which makes the book easy to put down and pick back up without 'losing' anything. And finally, each story also centers around the holiday season, ...more
Michelle
SPOILER ALERT!!!!

The main story I wanted to read in this book was Gift Wrapped by Charlaine Harris. Know right off the bat, I adore Sookie Stackhouse, so I am difficult to disappoint in this regard. But this story was very short and rather hollow. It lacked the punch of the short story in Bite. And Sookie always rises above feeling sorry for herself, so that was a bummer. I'm glad Quinn got a mention. She just doesn't use her brain to figure out something more is amiss than what it seems. Maybe
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review Courtesy of AllThingsUrbanFantasy.blogspot.com

Review: "Gift Wrap" by Charlaine Harris occurs chronically after From Dead To Worse (book 8) in the Sookie Stackhouse Series and you might want to save this story for later if you plan on reading the Sookie series and aren’t caught up as there are a number of spoilers (but of course my reviews are always spoiler free). Sookie is an odd character. I remember wondering if she was mentally challenged when I started the first Sookie book because s
Rowena
It doesn't seem fair to rate the entire anthology, when I've only read one story. However, I would like to share my review of JA Konrath's "S.A."

Some of us push the envelope... JA Konrath's S.A. begins with a most unhappy --but healthy-- gentleman crossing a snowy parking lot, carrying a semi-see-through, blue plastic box containing a large stool sample. In fact, it's not a sample. It's the whole enchilada.

He's taking this vigorous specimen to his doctor because there's something unusual about i
Kath
I just read the Sookie story in this installment and I have to say that I absolutely hated it. As a huge fan of the Sookie series, I thought I would get a treat in between installments, but this is one I wish I had never read.

Sookie's a pretty "nice" girl for the most part and that's one of the things that I enjoy about her most. The present that she received from her grandfather was absolutely ridiculous and seemed to cheapen Sookie's character for me. I am going to pretend I didn't read it.

I w
MB
Although I'm not a huge fan of werewolves, or of short stories--especially about Christmas, I wanted to read this book because I like Charlaine Harris and Donna Andrews. It surprised me just how much sheer variety the various submissions included on this theme.
Midu Hadi
Lady Jaye
This is one of the better anthologies out there. I can truly say that no matter my feelings about any one of them, every single story is well-written and mostly entertaining.

My favorite stories were
The Haire of the Beast, by Donna Andrews,
Fresh Meat, by Alan Gordon, and
The Perfect Gift by Dana Stabenow.

They are all new-to-me authors (well, I've read a mystery from Dan Stabenow before, but still) and their stories were simple, interesting, and fresh perspectives of werewolf/shifter mythologie
Keertana
Note: I only read The Star of David by Patricia Briggs

Considering that this novella doesn't even have a remote far-fetched allusion to Mercy or Adam, it was pretty darn good. Although it centers around David, a middle-aged werewolf who lost control and murdered his wife in front of his daughter, a character we barely know, it has a surprising amount of depth. David is desperately trying - and failing - to mend his relationship with his daughter, Stella, and seizes the opportunity to help her whe
Charlie
Gift Wrap by Charlaine Harris - 4 stars. I really enjoyed this novella, it was nice to revisit Sookie after taking such a long break from the series.

The Haire of the Beast by Donna Andrews - 4 stars. This was fun and unexpected.

Lucy, at Christmastime by Simon R. Green. - 3 stars. A strange little story but I did enjoy it.

The Night Things Changed by Dana Cameron.
Steven
Previously read the Sookie short story "Gift Wrap"

This time, I read The Star of David, Mercy Thompson #1.5, by Patricia Briggs. :)

I very much enjoyed the short story about David and his kids. He's an interesting character.
♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief im not actually mad!
Wolfsbane and Mistletoe is a collection of short storys based on werewolves and Christmas.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!

Gift Wrap by Charlaine Harris, pages 1-18
gift wrap is a Sookie Stackhouse short story, its about sookie being lonely on Christmas and finding a injured werewolf.
the story was a bit weird at the end, i was a bit creeped out by her grandfathers "gift". lol

The Haire of the Beast by Donna Andrews, pages 19-26
the haire of the beast is about girl who's brother wants to be a werewolf.
this story
Shannon (Savhage Temptrest)
"Gift Wrap" by Charlaine Harris starts with a depressed and lonely Sookie all alone on Christmas Eve, and quickly turns to her discovering an injured Werewolf in her woods. Of course, there is more to this Were than meets the eye. I liked this story; it was nice and humble, and Niall made an appearance as well. One note: I would love to have a great-grandfather, or any family member for that matter, give me a Christmas "gift" like Sookie got. Lucky Girl!

"The Haire of the Beast" by Donna Andrews
Carolyn (Book Chick City)
Originally posted on Book Chick City.

As with all anthologies I have reviewed I wanted to review a large selection of the short stories to give you a good indication if this book is worth reading/buying, unfortunately with the lead up to Christmas I just haven't had the time to read much at all. So I only have two mini reviews for you. Hopefully I will review a few more from this anthology in due course.

GIFT WRAP ~ Charlaine Harris

How does Ms Harris do it? In just twenty odd pages she pulled me i
Theresa
I read only a select few of the stories in this anthology... not trying out any new authors, only authors I currently read. :)

1. Gift Wrap by Charlaine Harris. 3 Stars. Not sure how I feel about this one... It didn't really paint Sookie or Niall in the best light. If I wasn't already a follower of the Sookie Stackhouse series, I wouldn't pick it up after reading this short story.

2. The Werewolf Before Christmas by Kat Richardson. 3 Stars. This one made me laugh out loud several times. One of my
Exina
My review is only for 'Rogue Elements' by Karen Chance.

"Having Cyrus’ full attention was like being the only rabbit in the world in front of a pack of starving wolves."

The leader of the werewolf clans turns to the Silver Circle’s police force, named the War Mage Corps for help finding kidnapped female werewolves.

The Silver Circle is the only link to the Cassandra Palmer series in this story, as there was not much about Weres before… Because of this, first I didn’t want to read it, thinking i
Leah
WOLFSBANE AND MISTLETOE - 2.23 STARS

"Gift Wrap" by Charlaine Harris - 2 stars
I've decided the Sookie Stackhouse series is not for me anymore. And that it's extremely creepy that her great-grandfather set up some Christmas nookie for Sookie.

"The Haire of the Beast" by Donna Andrews - 3 stars
Odd but funny at times.

"Lucy, at Christmastime" by Simon R. Green - 1 star
Depressing.

"The Night Things Changed" by Dana Cameron - 1 star
Eh. I didn't even want to finish it, but I did. And I fell asleep while r
Bry
Most of the stories were just meh - although I really enjoyed the story by Patricia Briggs. Short stories are still just difficult for me. I find it too hard to get into the story after having just been dropped into the middle of a new world where I don't know the players or the rules to the game.
Heidi
Rating and review for Patricia Briggs' story Star of David.

Patricia Briggs’ The Star of David is one of those wonderful shorts that while related to a series can be just as enjoyable to those who have not yet dipped their toes into the world of Mercy Thompson; in addition, because it features one of the minor characters from Moon Called, it’s not necessary to the overall plot arch of the series.

The Star of David is a nice little seasonal story (that has pretty much nothing to do with Christmas o
(´*•.¸ღBexღ¸.•*´)
It's about time someone did an urban fantasy Christmas anthology and this crew did it right. We've got fifteen stories ranging from tense to side splitting funny that are primarily about werewolves at Christmas.

What I love about this fifteen-story anthology is that it's a mix of my old favorite authors: Charlaine Harris, Patricia Briggs, Kat Richardson, Carrie Vaughn with an addition of some folks new to me.

My favorites:

"Keeping Watch Over His Flock" by Toni Kelner -- this one explores werewo
Sandra
I've never listened to Sookie in audio before but I am simultaneously wowed by how well the narrator did and increasingly annoyed with what a twat Sookie is. She nailed it. But anyway, this story was fine but kind of pointless and random.

Merged review:

Gift Wrap (Charlaine Harris) 2 stars: I've never listened to Sookie in audio before but I am simultaneously wowed by how well the narrator did and increasingly annoyed with what a twat Sookie is. She nailed it. But anyway, this story was fine but
Rhianna
A collection of Christmas tales with werewolves as central characters? Count me in. I'm a self-proclaimed Halloween freak. I look forward to it all year. But there's just something appealing about the idea of werewolves and Christmas stirred together. What's next from the clever editors though? They've done vampires and birthdays and now werewolves and Christmas... maybe witches and Valentine's or ghosts and graduations? Whatever Harris and Kelner come up with let's hope they can find authors wi ...more
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Well, there it is again. This is why I try and stay away from anthologies, and if I do pick them up, I skim through them to read the ones that relate to the series I'm interested in. So this is what I thought.

Gift Wrap by Charlaine Harris - 3.5 Stars
Set in the Sookie Stackhouse world. I actually enjoyed it, even though for some reason I remember having read this story already but can't remember where, when or how.

The Haire of the Beast by Donna Andrews - 2 Stars
I wasn't really into this story, a
Kelly
Jan 24, 2011 Kelly marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
This one didn't grab me much. The Harris story is not up to her usual standard. It seems really out-of-character for Sookie at first, but it's kind of cute, so I was willing to go with it. Then there's a plot twist at the end that somewhat fixes the characterization issue--at the cost of ruining everything else about the story. It had been heartwarming; it becomes kind of cold and creepy.

I really liked Simon R. Green's "Lucy, at Christmastime." It's short, sad, and chilling. I wish more antholog
Stephanie
I'd almost bump this to 3 stars but there just weren't enough good stories to save it for me.
I'd definitely recommend Christmas Past, SA and Rogue Elements. Other than that, the stories were just ok.
Sybylla
I intended to average the ratings for each story in this book, since that would be most fair, but in the end I enjoyed almost every one of them, and so I felt I had to rate the collection as a whole for drawing me in. I experienced this book as an audiobook. I was not at all impressed with the two readers. The female reader was unremarkable, and the male reader enjoyed his accents a little too much.

Gift Wrap by Charlaine Harris
I never know what to make of Charlaine Harris and Sookie. I was invol
Ciaran
feel that i must point this out - this book is -only- Wolfsbane and Mistletoe. is 405 pages in length and does not contain Many Bloody Returns or Deaths Excellent Vacations as advertised everywhere. (the book is sitting in front of me, i have checked the ISBN everywhere and the information here is what every retailer has up as well....but its wrong!

that said, im 3 stories in and loving it. werewolves and christmas = giddy me :)
  • Unusual Suspects: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • Down These Strange Streets
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding (There Be Pirates, #1; Kit and Olivia, #2; Nightcreature, #5.5; Sookie Stackhouse, #6.1; The Dresden Files, #7.5; Dark-Hunter, #6.25)
  • Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5)
  • Hotter Than Hell (The Hollows, #4.5)
  • Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy
  • On the Prowl (Alpha & Omega, #0.5)
  • Inked (World of the Lupi, #4.7)
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • The Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance
  • Bite (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #8.5)
  • Between the Dark and the Daylight and 27 More of the Best Crime Mystery Stories of the Year
  • Chicks Kick Butt
  • Hexed (Kate Daniels, #4.5; Otherworld, #9.5; Stormwalker, #2.5; Anna Strong Chronicles, #6.5)
  • Weddings from Hell (Night Huntress, #1.5; Brotherhood of Blood, #3.5; Nicki Styx, #2.5)
  • Huntress (Cin Craven #3.5, Black London #1.5)
  • The Urban Fantasy Anthology
  • Kitty Raises Hell (Kitty Norville #6)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over twenty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Now she lives in southern Arkansas with her husband, her three children, three dogs, and a duck. The duck stays outside.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was wr
More about Charlaine Harris...

Kitty Norville (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville #1)
  • Kitty Goes to Washington (Kitty Norville #2)
  • Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville #3)
  • Kitty and the Silver Bullet (Kitty Norville #4)
  • Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand (Kitty Norville #5)
  • Kitty Raises Hell (Kitty Norville #6)
  • Kitty's House of Horrors (Kitty Norville, #7)
  • Kitty Goes to War (Kitty Norville, #8)
  • Kitty's Big Trouble (Kitty Norville, #9)
  • Kitty Steals the Show (Kitty Norville, #10)
Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2) Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4) Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3) Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse, #5)

“He has also worked as a shop assistant, bicycle-repair mechanic, journalist, actor, eccentric dancer, and mail-order bride. He has never worked for MI5. Don’t believe anyone who tel s you otherwise. He is, however, secretly Superman.” 4 likes
“She was wearing her T-shirt with the bull’s-eye printed over her heart, the one that says, GO AHEAD AND TRY IT, BUFFY.” 4 likes