Start by marking “Blue Eyes, Black Hair” as Want to Read:
Blue Eyes, Black Hair

Blue Eyes, Black Hair

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  840 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Emotionally charged, sparsely written, and vicariously compelling, Marguerite Duras's novel centers on the desire of a young man for another man he has only glimpsed once, but with whom he falls desperately in love.
Published February 12th 1988 by Pantheon (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Eyes, Black Hair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Eyes, Black Hair

Out of Africa by Karen BlixenBonjour Tristesse by Françoise SaganMemoirs of Hadrian by Marguerite YourcenarThe Summer Book by Tove JanssonThe Piano Teacher by Elfriede Jelinek
Europe Minus Men and English
92nd out of 297 books — 55 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreHowl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne JonesIt by Stephen KingSpeaker for the Dead by Orson Scott CardThe Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett
Best Books of 1986
96th out of 106 books — 55 voters

More lists with this book...

Nate D
Jul 01, 2014 Nate D rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: the lovers, the doomed
Recommended to Nate D by: the hypnosis of the waves beyond the terrace
Basically concurrently with the film series at the Spectacle, and now extending beyond, I've been devouring Duras' novels lately. But strangely, no one work really obviously stands apart from the other for me -- they're more like movements of some larger work constructed of many disparate voices and even mediums, converging around her central obsessions.

Particularly, her 80s work, her late inventions and stylistic evolution. This one glides especially along with Duras' fantastically minimal 198
DoctorM
An odd and unsettling book...

An unnamed seaside town in an unnamed country, there at season's end. In a room in a rented house is a couple. They are together at twilight, naked, but not lovers, or at least not lovers in any usual sense. She is beautiful, young, damaged, ghostly. He is slightly older, gay, no less alone. And there in the dusk, they...talk. About love and lovers, about their lives and about what they've lost and the people they've seen vanish.

This is a lovely, eerie, sad, melanch
Begoña
"Es el hecho del hombre indefinidamente presente a sí mismo lo que asusta."

Tal vez sea esta frase la que mejor englobe el significado y el sentimiento que trae consigo la novela de Marguerite Duras: la terrible melancolía y la desdicha que habita en el fondo del ser humano, la incapacidad para perdurar a lo largo del tiempo. Esa incapacidad se hace patente en los encuentros, más afectivos que amorosos, entre el hombre y la mujer que protagonizan la novela. Ambos se encuentran sumidos en una hond
Rebecca
Tis impossible to read Duras without a contagion of longing.

"It was there that it happened. The love I haven't talked to you about - it was there. There that I saw for all time a young foreigner with blue eyes, black hair, the one I wanted to die for that evening with you in the cafe by the sea."

"She says people ought to learn to live like them, with the body abandoned in a wilderness, and in the mind the memory of a single kiss, a single word, a single look to stand for a whole love."

*rests c
Jeremy
What a weird, entrancing little book. Duras writes about a messed up love affair using these short, elliptical, almost hypnotic paragraphs. Everything seems to loop and feedback into itself, love becomes memory, becomes desire, becomes obsession, becomes death, etc. It's a weirdly visual book, you can almost see how a moody, black and white film version of this would work would unfold through itself. Duras has a gorgeous, brooding pensiveness all her own.
M.
This book sits, virtually, as a re-telling of The Malady of Death, which is an utter masterpiece--although, here, there are more details, things are more fleshed out; and the man, the man who suffers, is explicitly homosexual here, never actually explicitly 'penetrating' the woman--I'd argue that the man in Malady of Death is more pointedly heterosexual, but Duras of course has said in interviews, upon being asked, that the sexuality of the man (in Malady of Death) more or less "doesn't matter," ...more
Alshia Moyez
This is the first time in my life I've EVER given a book a 1 star before. Now, I've been a hardcore fan of this author's for so long I can't even remember. Her book, THE LOVER drew me in and made me a fan. I'm also a fan of THE NORTH CHINA LOVER (which is a longer, revised version of The Lover). I've tried to convert friends over to Duras, only for them to tell me they couldn't get into her work. Lucky for me they didn't get to this horrible book I'm about to review right now.

At 60 pages, it was
Dessislava
Да се чете и гледа бавно.

"Очи сини коси черни" е кинематографична и цинична, безнадеждно отчаяна в невъзможността от случване на любовта по нормален или адекватен начин. Дюрас не умее да допуска героите си един до друг. Доближава ги физически, а ги отблъсква платонично. Доближава ги духом и рязко ги отдалечава тялом. Deal with it. Всичко е френско, авангардно и изтънчено.
Imen Hamdouni
Pour Duras, le véritable amant n’est pas le premier, le Chinois. C’est celui qui a “ les yeux bleus cheveux noirs ”, et “ le teint blanc des amants. ” Celui qui n’aime pas les femmes. “ Depuis toujours c’était sans doute lui qu’elle voulait aimer, un faux amant, un homme qui n’aime pas. ”
Duras a fait précéder son roman par cette lettre :
« C’est l’histoire d’un amour, le plus grand et plus terrifiant qu’il m’a été donné d’écrire. Je le sais. On le sait pour soi.
Il s’agit d’un amour qui n’est pas
Deny
Може би проблемът е в мен - винаги го търся първо в себе си, когато ми е трудно да преглътна книгата на утвърден писател като Маргьорит Дюрас. Още повече, че бях силно впечатлена от "Любовникът", която се е врязала дълбоко в паметта ми и не мога да я забравя.
Исках да оценя "Очи сини, коси черни" поне с две звезди и да кажа, че е ОК, но истината е, че тя въобще не ми хареса.
100 страници описание на безидейното лутане на мъж и жена, които делят спомена за общ любим - мъж с очи сини и коси черни.
Alison
I enjoyed the first third of the book because I like Duras' writing style, but I cannot say that I liked the book. I never connected with either of the characters in a way that made me give a damn about what happened to them. There is a good reason that this is the least often read and studied of Duras' work.
Jimmy
This wasn't as good as The Lover... and I think the other one I read was North China Lover? Not sure, since it seems like all her books cover the very same territory, this one included. Which I am getting kinda bored of.
Emily
It's a novel about a gay man and a straight woman in room together naked. That's about it. I found it mildly entertaining.
Maria
Quando se aproxima dela, percebe-se que está cheio da alegria de a ter encontrado, e no desespero de ter de a perder de novo.
José
Não viveram felizes para sempre? Ou viveram?!? Já nem sei.
Livro requintado para gente requintada.
Histteach24
Not her best but beautifully written. Painfully insightful to longing for someone we can't have...
Cristiano
Un récit d'une touchante beauté.
Adrian Gheorghe
Definitely not my cup of tea.
V Mignon
"Hell is other people."
Jean-Paul Sartre, from No Exit

On the coast of an unknown country, a man and a woman reside in a house by the ocean. He has paid her to come and stay with him. She lies down on the floor, sometimes sleeping, sometimes awake, but always naked. There is nothing physical between them. The woman pines for a man she once met but has since disappeared from her life. The man was sexually awakened upon seeing another man with blue eyes and black hair. They reside within walls, list
Balente1978
E' la storia di un amore, il più grande e terrificante che a me sia stato concesso di scrivere.
Lo so. Lo si sa per sé soli.
Si tratta di un amore che non ha nome nei romanzi e non ha nome neppure per quelli che lo vivono.
Di un sentimento che in qualche modo non sembra avere ancora vocabolario, costumi, riti. Si tratta di un amore perduto.
Perduto, da perdizione.
Leggete il libro. In ogni caso, anche se gli siete ostili per principio, leggetelo. Non abbiamo niente da perdere, né io da voi, né v
Бистра Величкова
Watch the theatrical performance made by the writer Eireene Nealand (Santa Cruz, CA) based on this marvellous novel of Duras! It's going to be staged in December 2014, in Sofia, Bulgaria! :-))
Catherine
C'est soit-disant l'histoire d'un amour, selon les mots de Duras. Je n'y ai vu qu'un huis-clos de deux personnes à qui j'ai envie de dire: "get out and a life!"
Andreia Silva
Das duas uma: ou a autora é um génio e eu não percebi o que ela queria passar com o livro, ou não era para perceber! O livro é uma mistura entre narrativa e peça de teatro, pois durante o texto surgem uma espécie de didascálias, que nos vão informando como estariam os actores naquelas cenas. Mas o livro é estranho e não tem a ver com a estrutura, mas sim com a escrita mesmo. É confusa, é exageradamente floreada e o facto de os dois personagens não terem nomes e ser sempre "ele" e "ela" não ajuda ...more
Lydia Swartz
My favorite of Duras. Also pretty much the most erotic book I've ever read. Yep. It's true. This is true kink, before it was a genre & a friggin' industry. Without all that tiresome 90s strutting about & the endless outfits & equipment that litter most so-called kinky lit. Also, this is Duras at her economical, lyrical, alcoholically brilliant best.

If you're hopelessly vanilla, then I suppose this might be mystifying/boring to you.
Mary
Robert Steiner put it best in his LA Times Review: "The problem with this novel is that in its effort to evoke mystery, it is woefully precious and sentimental. The characters do not so much feel as wax poetic. They are in fact too immature in their passions to be dramatic for very long, and since they are more temperament than flesh, more given to tableaux than action, it is difficult to be concerned with their fates. Theirs is the sort of despair that evokes irritation rather than sympathy, bo ...more
Ardesia
Molto particolare: lo consiglio soltanto a chi già conosce e apprezza la scrittura della Duras.

Lui. Lei. L'altro. Occhi blu e capelli neri. Gli altri. Lei. Lui. Anime trascinate alla deriva da correnti di tormenti troppo profondi per essere compresi nella loro totalità.
Anime sul punto di affogare nei deliri del cuore e forse tratte in salvo unicamente dalla pienezza delle parole gettate taglienti sulle pagine a colmarne i vuoti.
Una sera di fine estate di eccezionale bellezza. Il muro blu, il fas
Sofia Jacinto
«...a memória infernal daquilo que não acontece»

«Não vale a pena contar as noites que ainda faltam. Com certeza ainda há noites antes da nossa separação.
Ela sabe-o: mesmo quando for a última noite, não vai valer a pena dizê-lo, porque vai ser o princípio de outra história, a da separação.»

Não há melhor maneira de descrever este livro. Quando cheguei ao fim, fiquei sem saber se era o final ou inicio da estranha relação confinada as paredes de um quarto.
danielle
"...she thinks it's a kind of accidental place..."

"She says she's talking about the time between things, between people, the sort that other people throw away as of no importance to them, those lost ones. But she says that perhaps it's the not talking about it that creates the time she's trying to get a hold of."

"He recalls that the strange words which sometimes wake her up must indeed be about the passage of time."

Antonia
This is a book that you can't forget it too easily. And you can't also make a simplu review. It's mind blown. This woman, meets this man, and somehow, she's in his house, with a black scarf on her eyes. No, he didin't kidnap her. He is gay. And she is with the man that he loves. That man has blue eyes and black hair. I don't know how to describe anything else, so I'm gonna let you read it. :)
round and round 1 11 Apr 24, 2007 07:03AM
  • A Costa dos Murmúrios (Colecção Mil Folhas, #10)
  • Húmus (Colecção Mil Folhas, #57)
  • Sinais de Fogo (Colecção Mil Folhas, #48)
  • Balada da Praia dos Cães
  • Era Bom Que Trocássemos Umas Ideias Sobre O Assunto
  • Gente Feliz com Lágrimas (Colecção Mil Folhas, #29)
  • Nação Crioula
  • O Caso Morel (Colecção Mil Folhas, #87)
  • The Blood of Others
  • Buying a Fishing Rod for My Grandfather
  • The Man Who Watched Trains Go By
  • Diario di un killer sentimentale
  • L'Œuvre au noir
  • The Smile at the Foot of the Ladder
  • The Time of Indifference
  • Autumn in Peking
  • The Shadow-Line
  • The Erasers
Marguerite Donnadieu, better known as Marguerite Duras (pronounced [maʀgəʁit dyˈʁas] in French) (April 4, 1914 – March 3, 1996) was a French writer and film director.

She was born at Gia-Dinh, near Saigon, French Indochina (now Vietnam), after her parents responded to a campaign by the French government encouraging people to work in the colony.

Marguerite's father fell ill soon after their arrival,
More about Marguerite Duras...
The Lover Hiroshima mon amour Moderato cantabile The Ravishing of Lol Stein The North China Lover

“...as long as nothing happens between them, the memory is cursed with what hasn't happened.” 342 likes
“She says people ought to learn to live like them, with the body abandoned in a wilderness, and in the mind the memory of a single kiss, a single word, a single look to stand for a whole love.” 44 likes