No Ordinary Genius: The Illustrated Richard Feynman

No Ordinary Genius: The Illustrated Richard Feynman

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  1,049 ratings  ·  14 reviews
With a unique combination of dazzling intellect and touching simplicity, Feynman had a passion for physics that was merely the Nobel Prize-winning part of an immense love of life and everything it could offer. He was hugely irreverent and always completely honest—with himself, with his colleagues, and with nature.

No Ordinary Genius traces Feynman's remarkable adventures in...more
Published February 17th 1996 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published January 1st 1965)

To ask other readers questions about No Ordinary Genius, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Ordinary Genius

Lana Rigsby
Just when I thought I'd read most everything this guy ever wrote, a friend gave me No Ordinary Genius: The Illustrated Richard Feynman. Wonderful! I felt I was meeting someone that up till now I'd only known through letters—all the photos and drawings and little notes give me a clearer, more intimate picture of this iconoclastic scientist whose words I've loved for years. The robe and bunny slippers picture adds significantly to my up-to-now skimpy mental picture.

This book is full of telling an...more
Melissa Proffitt
This is sort of a companion to several movies Sykes made about Feynman, his life and work, accompanied by numerous photos, newspaper clippings, and letters. There's not much new here for anyone who's familiar with Feynman's work, though there were a number of new anecdotes, and I was impressed at the reproductions of some of his drawings, which I'd never seen before--the man really was good at everything he did. The recollections of family, friends, and fellow scientists add depth to the materia...more
Irene
May 31, 2009 Irene rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Irene by: Ken's Nana
Imagine watching a documentary about Richard Feynman, with photos and interviews with Feynman's friends, family, and colleagues, as well as Feynman himself. This book was based on a series of Feynman documentaries, so it's basically like reading a documentary.

It's very similar, in style and content, to the Feynman autobiographies (Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! and What Do You Care What Other People Think?). You get to know Feynman as having the curiosity and honesty of a child, but the int...more
Dave Peticolas

This illustrated biography of the genius physicist Richard Feynman is an engrossing account of the remarkable man.

J.M. Slowik
An excellent documentary. Now in book form!
Beverly
I love illustrated books and especially illustrated bios - this is a "light" Bio with great comments from friends, scientists and family- tons of pictures. FOund it at a used book store for $7
Enzo
Nov 02, 2008 Enzo rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anybody
Loved it.
It's the beautiful portrait of an extraordinary man, depicted with his own words and through comments and anecdotes from friends and family.
theresa
great addition to any Feynman fan's library. it covers both his work and his personal life and has many pictures. he was a fascinating individual!
Beth
Apr 16, 2008 Beth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: good-science, humor
I love this book because it's an illustrated biography of the man I would have loved to have met and had over for coffee.
Faizal Aziz
Satu lagi kisah Feynman dari sudut pandang ahli keluarga, sahabat, artis, orang awam dan saintis ternama yang lain
Blades
This was a wonderful book on a beautiful man. Very insightful and interesting.
TK Keanini
He started so many things that we must continue to develop.
Walter Riker
It it is a really good introduction to Richard Feynman.
Sam Bruskin
that such a person should have spent time on this earth!
Manjunath Bhat
Manjunath Bhat marked it as to-read
Marlene Kay
Marlene Kay marked it as to-read
Rajnikant Sharma
Rajnikant Sharma marked it as to-read
Kourtney
Kourtney marked it as to-read
Kevyoung
Kevyoung marked it as to-read
Shilou Amani
Shilou Amani marked it as to-read
George
George marked it as to-read
A Feyn
A Feyn marked it as to-read
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
John Nielsen
John Nielsen marked it as to-read
Mooseille
Mooseille marked it as to-read
James
James marked it as to-read
Samrat Singh
Samrat Singh marked it as to-read
Jennifer Applegate
Jennifer Applegate marked it as to-read
  • Feynman's Lost Lecture: The Motion of Planets Around the Sun
  • Perfectly Reasonable Deviations from the Beaten Track: Letters of Richard P. Feynman
  • Feynman's Rainbow: A Search for Beauty in Physics and in Life
  • Tuva or Bust! Richard Feynman's Last Journey
  • Quantum Man: Richard Feynman's Life in Science
  • Genius: The Life and Science of Richard Feynman
  • The Strangest Man: The Hidden Life of Paul Dirac, Mystic of the Atom
  • Subtle is the Lord: The Science and the Life of Albert Einstein
  • Conversations with Carl Sagan
  • The Man Who Knew Infinity: A Life of the Genius Ramanujan
  • The Man Who Loved Only Numbers: The Story of  Paul Erdős and the Search for Mathematical Truth
  • Disturbing the Universe
  • Euler: The Master of Us All (Dolciani Mathematical Expositions, No 22)
  • Introduction to Electrodynamics
  • Alan Turing: The Enigma
  • Einstein: The Life and Times
Evelyn Waugh: A Biography Orde Wingate The Pleasure of Finding Things Out Nancy: The Life of Lady Astor Black Sheep