Start by marking “The Last Grain Race” as Want to Read:
The Last Grain Race

Eric Newby

The Last Grain Race

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  292 ratings  ·  25 reviews
There was a time not long past when the world's oceanic cargo moved in beautiful wind-driven sailing ships. They were successors to millenia of less noble craft, but at their zenith, in the 19th century, they dominated the seas.

Eric Newby had the good fortune to sail on one of these clippers. Shortly before WW II, he signed aboard as deckhand on a ship in the grain trade,

Mass Market Paperback
Published October 12th 1971 by Random House Publishing Group (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Grain Race, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Grain Race

Melanie
My dad read this book every fall as he sat tending a grain dryer full of corn. He wore that paperback out. I remembered seeing the book lying in the small heated office as mom and I would bring him his supper as she always did when he was on "duty" hours into the night. Eventually we had to get him another copy and he read that two more times even though his days of grain drying were over. It is so inscribed on the front page of the book in his own hand.
I ran across the book in going through th
Marty
I was ready to drive from Seattle to San Francisco when I stopped at the library for some road music and a book on tape. This particular day, I found a jewel by one of the greats, Eric Newby's "The Last Grain Race". Eric Newby has done so much, and has been so many places that it boggles the mind. This book chronicles the beginning of his life as a true adventurer, when on the eve of WWII, he shipped out as a complete novice seaman on one of the largest sailing vessels ever built, bound for Aust ...more
Matt Cartney
I'll lay my cards on the table. I love Eric Newby. So much so that I named one of the characters in my 'Danny Lansing' books after him. The Last Grain Race is an enormously entertaining book about an extraordinary adventure at the end of the era of sail. Newby is an extremely self-effacing and likeable narrator and the book is a joy from start to finish. Who can't like a chap who turns up at the quayside for his first voyage on a brutally tough sailing ship - with his belongings packed in Loius ...more
Jim Puskas
This is arguably the best of Eric Newby's numerous travel books, all of which are excellent. Rich in detail, unique in setting, intriguing characters met along the way. In addition to spinning a good yarn about a hard voyage and life at sea under sail, Newby enlivens his account with self-deprecating humour.
Chris Cangiano
In 1938, an eighteen year old quits his job at a London advertising firm and signs on as an apprentice seaman with one of the last commercial sailing fleets for a trip from Ireland to Australia and back again. The boy was Eric Newby, one of the last century's greatest travel writers, and this is his account of that trip (which was to be the last such grain-hauling endeavor by sailing vessels due to the outbreak of the Second World War). Newby is a very entertaining writer and this is an entertai ...more
Al
"From aloft came the great roaring sound, that I heard now for the first time and will perhaps never hear again, of strong winds in the rigging of a big ship."

This was a great story, written very well and what made it even more riveting is that it's a true story. Eric Newby signed on as an apprentice seaman on the Finnish grain ship Moshulu in the fall of 1938. What's the big deal? The Moshulu was the largest sail-powered vessel in the world, at that time. It was a steel-hulled, ship-rigged gra
ron swegman
The Last Grain Race by Eric Newby is the first book I read specifically after having signed up to goodreads. This one had been given to me by a friend who also happens to be an avid fly fisher and amateur sailor. The book sat on my front shelf for quite a while and percolated there until I was inspired to pick it up in December 2009.

I finished the book on February 6th 2010. The reason I took so long to complete Newby's 285-page tale is simple; I did not want the adventure to end!

Newby takes the
Jim
All aboard me hearties. Talk about a bygone era, it amazed me that the sailing of large, wind powered clippers from England to Australia and back was still a commercial viability in the year before the Second World War broke out. Newby managed to get a job on one as an adolescent trying to find his place in life, and this is the story of it. Sometimes marred by ship-talk that would be and was totally incomprehensible to a land-lubber like me, the tale was worth telling for the people and situati ...more
Brian Murphy
Loved reading about life and risks on a sailing ship in the Southern Ocean.
Living in South Australia, his descriptions of Port Lincoln and Port Victoria are very informative.
Caroline
An absolute masterpiece, I can't believe it's out of print!
Mike
By now, over 50 years since it came out, everything has been said about this book. Newby writes with humour, a good eye for detail, and total engagement with his subject. What more can you ask from a writer? The only thing that interrupted the easy flow for me was the occasional use of Finnish which I felt added nothing since I skipped over the unpronounceable words. If you want to get an idea of what daily life was like aboard an old commercial sailing ship then this is as good a place to begin ...more
Amy
I was extraordinarily dubious going into this book. I picked it up after a hearty recommendation from a friend -- a friend who also heartily recommended "Das boot." Yeah.

This book is NOTHING like "Das boot!" It's funny! Not just funny -- *hilarious*. The author's characterization and descriptions of his nautical comrades is glorious! I don't know crap about boats or rigging or sails or starboard or any of that stuff, but I *like* this memoir! Two enthusiastic thumbs up.
Cathie
I did not expect to enjoy this book, but I really did! Apart from skimming over the technical details of rigging a sail boat, I loved Erics descriptions of life at sea (hard), the people he lived and worked with (tough), and the fascinating places the passed and landed at, as well as the dangers faced. I will be looking out for more of his books.
Pete Kelly
The story of a young man's voyage on the last of the sailing ships which delivered grain from Australia to the UK. These ships were still sailing in the 1930s. Fantastic story of courage and adventure. Newby is one of the UK's great travel writers. A book to get lost in.
Dean Brodhag
If you are: 1) a sailboat sailor and 2) fascinated with large commercial sailing ships you will enjoy this book. It is definitely a great account of the dangers of a time of "wooden ships and iron men". Anxious to read more by Newby, expecially a bike trip around Ireland.
Cnochur
Very technical, often needlessly so. Don't let that stop you. When this was over, I was almost as sad as the author (a legendary badass if ever there was) for the end of a classic real life adventure. Next time I eat on the Moshulu it'll be with a side of awe.
Bob Finlay
The dog's knackers this book. Well worth a read for anyone interested in ships or the sea. Amazing to think that this was in 1938, those lads aboard wouldn't have been much different to their forebears 200 years before.
Alice
Literally LOL funny! I can' believe it's taken me so long to get to Eric Newby. He's fantastic! Can't wait to read more of his. Probably my favourit bit was about Mr Mountstewart and the 'firework'.
Paul
Great atmosphere, Newby's character sketches and overall use of words are amazing. Having spent time at sea I can confirm the authenticity of his descriptions.
Judy
Excellent first hand account of working aboard one of the last commercial sailing vessels circumnavigating the globe. Well written and entertaining!
Della Scott
Oct 20, 2012 Della Scott marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Pete
Utterly vivid recollection of commercial sea voyage under sail - and instructive for learning some swedish words
Julian Stockwin
One of my favourite books on the last days of commercial sail.
Mills
The vernacular and premise is very fun.
Mjrndd
Mjrndd marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Danielle Nelson
Danielle Nelson marked it as to-read
Roy Pierce III
Roy Pierce III marked it as to-read
Rox
Rox marked it as to-read
Georgie
Georgie marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
  • Looking for a Ship
  • The Secret Voyage of Sir Francis Drake: 1577-1580
  • Farthest North
  • Shackleton's Boat Journey
  • I Married Adventure: The Lives of Martin and Osa Johnson (Kodansha Globe)
  • The Boat Who Wouldn't Float
  • The White Nile
  • Four Corners: A Journey into the Heart of Papua New Guinea
  • The Valleys of the Assassins: and Other Persian Travels
  • Between the Woods and the Water
  • Sunrise with Seamonsters
  • Growing Pains: The Autobiography of Emily Carr
George Eric Newby CBE MC (December 6, 1919 – October 20, 2006[1]) was an English author of travel literature.

Newby was born and grew up near Hammersmith Bridge, London, and was educated at St Paul's School. His father was a partner in a firm of wholesale dressmakers but he also harboured dreams of escape, running away to sea as a child before being captured at Millwall. Owing to his father's frequ
More about Eric Newby...
A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush Slowly Down the Ganges Love and War in the Apennines A Small Place in Italy Round Ireland in Low Gear