Start by marking “The King of the Swords (Corum, #3)” as Want to Read:
The King of the Swords (Corum, #3)

The King of the Swords (Corum #3)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  1,247 ratings  ·  26 reviews

Chaos prevailed over the fifteen planes of reality. The old races had decayed. Only Prince Corum had been able to strike a blow for the forces of Light. And the time had come for Corum to confront his fate - for the King of the Swords, Mabelrode the Faceless, was prepared to wreak his vengeance on the wielder of the sword that slew his queen...
Mass Market Paperback, 158 pages
Published June 1st 1986 by Berkley (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The King of the Swords, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King of the Swords

Mike (the Paladin)
An interesting conclusion to the Trilogy of The Sword Rulers. Corum again wishing only to live in peace finds that he's not to be allowed that simple luxury.

This series opened up for me much more of the Eternal Champion Cycle. The first book in the Cycle I found was Jewel in the Skull, a Hawkmoon novel. After this, years later I found the Corum novels. In this novel we'll get a look (for me my introductory look) at more of the Cycle, other incarnations of The Champion, a "place" or "situation"
4.0 to 4.5 stars. Very satisfying conclusion to the Swords Trilogy by Michael Moorcock. As with the first two books in the series, this is extremely well-done, action-orientated, sword and sorcery fantasy that is a pleasure to read due to Moorcock's descriptive writing and imaginative settings. What places this trilogy a cut above other well written books is the "epic fantasy" aspect of the story that places it within the context of a much larger battle between the Lords of War and Chaos being w ...more
David Sarkies
Jan 12, 2015 David Sarkies rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who have read the first two
Recommended to David by: A girl named Allie
Shelves: fantasy
Corum's Finale
3 May 2013

Well, here I am sitting in my room on the 14th floor of the Park Regis hotel in Sydney killing some time before my play (Henry IV) begins. It's funny, sitting here and hearing all of the sounds of the city drift up from below, particularly since I live in a city and I am sure the same sounds can be heard there (with the addition of the ding, ding of the trams – no trams in Sydney, well, okay, there is one tram, but that goes from the railway station to Darling Harbour).
Science Fiction is somewhat like Rock music. All the interesting experimental stuff has been done in the past few decades and all we're left with now is a refined immitation of the genre.

The Chronicles of Corum is a classic example of a sci-fi Rock Opera. The storyline itself revolves around the title charcter Corum, the last member of a brutally slaughtered race, the last of a people who could see beyond this world into other realms. Starting out as a revenge story, he becomes unwittingly entan
Bill  Kerwin

In the last volume of the first Corum trilogy, Moorcock pulls out all the stops as Corum joins forces with two other incarnations of the Eternal Champion to restore the balance of a world bereft of Law and dominated by Chaos.

The ending is quite surprising, and I believe Voltaire would have liked it a lot. As always, Moorcock surpasses other fantasy writers in the originality and superfluity of his invention.
The King of Swords by Michael Moorcock is the last book in his Corum/Swords Trilogy. (The good news is there are three more books and if anything the second trilogy is better than the first) In this novel, after a plague of magically induced aggression leaves the remnants of humanity killing each other off, Corum, Jhary, and Rhalina must somehow try to stop the King of Swords, Mabelode, the most powerful of the Gods of Chaos.

Moorcock is more precise when describing the wars between Law and Chaos
-Fanfarria final.-

Género. Narrativa Fantástica.

Lo que nos cuenta. Corum está viendo como la antigua fortaleza de su familia, el castillo Erorn, está siendo reconstruido y las cosas parecen ir bien, la gente es feliz y las cosechas son buenas, pero sentimientos de rabia, rencor y agresividad empiezan a manifestarse entre amigos, aliados e incluso entre los más cercanos a Corum. Y es que el Rey de las Espadas, Mabelode, está buscando una aproximación más indirecta a la victoria, por lo que Corum t
Иван Величков
Третата част изстреля цялата трилогия от героичното, направо при епичното фентъзи. Имаше дори неочакван край - нещо абсолютно нетипично за Муркок.
Кралят на мечовете - Мабелрод безликия не е като брат си и сестра си. По-силен е, по-умен и по-коварен. Почти успява да унищожи Корум без той да се усети, че е нападнат. За да се спасят, нашите герои естествено трябва да минат през останалите 5 селения на хаоса, но нещата се объркват и почва лудницата, а принца на аленият плащ отново осъзнава, че е упр
Francesco Manno

The gods lost is the third volume of the First Trilogy The Chronicles of Corum, published on the British market in 1971 with the title "The King of the Swords", while it is high in Italy in 1974, thanks to Sugar Publisher. This novel, which won the British Fantasy Award in 1973, can be considered rightfully one sword and sorcery, with some contamination clockpunk, although I note that today's commentators and authors (especially Anglo-Saxon ones) tend to i
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in May 2000.

The last of the Swords of Corum trilogy is very similar to the last of Hawkmoon's adventures in The Quest for Tanelorn. Corum, last of the Vadagh race, faces a renewed attack by the Chaos gods, led by Mabelode, King of the Swords, brother of the less powerful gods destroyed by Corum in the earlier books of the trilogy. This time the attack, again mediated by the barbaric Earl Glandyth, is more subtle, involving sorcery rather than military force.
This time around Corum was flung about various worlds/planes. Moorcock's writing here reminded me of Zelazny's Amber series. Since Nine Princes in Amber was published the year before, the influence makes sense. But this flinging is more than just a colorful backdrop, as it foreshadows later events, and leads to some interesting background of Corum's artificial hand and eye. The novel ties it all together well.

The conclusion of the Swords Trilogy was huge. Battles with gods aren't new to the seri
Tercera entrega de Corum Jhaelen Irsei, el Príncipe de la Túnica Escarlata, y según se dice en el epílogo, el último, aunque todos sabemos que hay un cuarto "El toro y la lanza" he incluso he encontrado datos sobre una quinta entrega.

Esta saga en general, al guardar relación directa con Elric y Ereköse, sobre todo, aclara muchos puntos respecto a esas otras dos sagas, y tiene multitud de guiños a todo aquél que conozca la saga de Elric. La torre evanescente, que vuelve a aparecer, determinados c
David Henry

And now I remember why these books made such an impact on me, years ago. Even after having read innumerable books since then, the whole concept of the Eternal Champion seems as fresh an idea as I have ever read. Moorcock is a master of his craft.
Shannon Appelcline
If you loved the Corum books for their Celtic flavor, you probably won't like this book, as it's the least Celtic of the six, with almost all of the adventures taking place in other planes.

If you loved the Eternal Champions books because of their cosmic visions, then you'll probably love this book, because it features the first major meeting of the Eternal Champions, an early Conjunction of a Million Spheres, and a very rare appearance of a near-duplicate of a Champion.

Overall, this is an enjoya
Reseña completa en mi blog

Sin duda el más entretenido, también el más alocado y complejo. La brevedad del libro hace parecer demasiado corto el periplo por el que pasan. Aquellos que no hayan leído alguna de las otras sagas de Moorcock tal vez no disfruten tanto su clímax, pero la historia igualmente es entendible. El final, algo predecible, igual funciona muy bien y tiene su pequeña (gran) sorpresa.
La escena en la que Los Tres que son Uno se juntan... tie
Corum's quest against the gods of Chaos continues! And this time, Corum encounters some of his other selves (as the Eternal Champion), and we actually get a glimpse of Tanelorn!
Kate Sherrod
This also still stands up well, as classics do.
Great end to this trilogy. Forgot how much I liked moorcock.
Ben Carlsen
Far more interesting than the previous two Corum books, in my opinion. The first was an interesting set-up, the second was just battle after tedious battle, but the third was a sprawling adventure with sword, sorcery, exploration of several different planes, battles between gods... very fun, and an incredibly intriguing and unexpected ending.
Jul 17, 2015 J.M. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adolescent boys
Shelves: fantasy, bizarre, british
Kill the gods! This was a satisfying conclusion to Corum's saga, with a surprise appearance by some familiar geography. Not to mention an effective and somewhat unconventional denouement.

I'm not sure I'm going to seek out other titles by this author, but these three were surprisingly good, quick reads.
Interesting world, but I only have the third in the series, and despite the recap at the beginning, it doesn't stand alone well. Perhaps with all three, the reader might be more drawn into the plight of the characters.
Trilogía que debe ser un "must read" en la biblioteca de cualquier fanático del genero.
Corum: The Coming of Chaos has volumes #1-3, including this one.
Interesting but I couldn't get into the series enough to re-read
I generally like the Corum books quite a lot.
Third and final book of the Corum trilogy.
Anastey marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Lisa Kimmerling
Lisa Kimmerling marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
  • Hrolf Kraki's Saga
  • Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone
  • Elric: Stormbringer
  • Death's Master (Flat Earth, #2)
  • Swords in the Mist (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #3)
  • Cugel's Saga (The Dying Earth, #3)
  • Requiem
  • Michael Moorcock's Elric Vol. 1: The Ruby Throne
  • Midnight Sun
  • Elric: Tales of the White Wolf (Michael Moorcock's Elric)
  • The Walrus And The Warwolf
  • The Pastel City
  • Night Winds
  • A Quest for Simbilis (The Dying Earth, #2.5)
  • Dusk (Tales of Noreela, #1)
Michael John Moorcock is an English writer primarily of science fiction and fantasy who has also published a number of literary novels.
Moorcock has mentioned The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Apple Cart by George Bernard Shaw and The Constable of St. Nicholas by Edward Lester Arnold as the first three books which captured his imagination. He became editor of Tarzan Adventures in 1956,
More about Michael Moorcock...

Corum (6 books)
  • The Knight of the Swords (Corum, #1)
  • The Queen of the Swords (Corum, #2)
  • The Bull and the Spear (Corum, #4)
  • The Oak and the Ram (Corum, #5)
  • The Sword and the Stallion (Corum, #6)