Start by marking “The King of the Swords (Corum, #3)” as Want to Read:
The King of the Swords (Corum, #3)

The King of the Swords (Corum #3)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  1,053 ratings  ·  19 reviews
A WRATH UNBOUND

Chaos prevailed over the fifteen planes of reality. The old races had decayed. Only Prince Corum had been able to strike a blow for the forces of Light. And the time had come for Corum to confront his fate - for the King of the Swords, Mabelrode the Faceless, was prepared to wreak his vengeance on the wielder of the sword that slew his queen...
Published June 1st 1986 by Berkley (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The King of the Swords, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King of the Swords

Stephen
4.0 to 4.5 stars. Very satisfying conclusion to the Swords Trilogy by Michael Moorcock. As with the first two books in the series, this is extremely well-done, action-orientated, sword and sorcery fantasy that is a pleasure to read due to Moorcock's descriptive writing and imaginative settings. What places this trilogy a cut above other well written books is the "epic fantasy" aspect of the story that places it within the context of a much larger battle between the Lords of War and Chaos being w ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
An interesting conclusion to the Trilogy of The Sword Rulers. Corum again wishing only to live in peace finds that he's not to be allowed that simple luxury.

This series opened up for me much more of the Eternal Champion Cycle. The first book in the Cycle I found was Jewel in the Skull, a Hawkmoon novel. After this, years later I found the Corum novels. In this novel we'll get a look (for me my introductory look) at more of the Cycle, other incarnations of The Champion, a "place" or "situation"
Kian
Science Fiction is somewhat like Rock music. All the interesting experimental stuff has been done in the past few decades and all we're left with now is a refined immitation of the genre.

The Chronicles of Corum is a classic example of a sci-fi Rock Opera. The storyline itself revolves around the title charcter Corum, the last member of a brutally slaughtered race, the last of a people who could see beyond this world into other realms. Starting out as a revenge story, he becomes unwittingly entan
Olethros
-Fanfarria final.-

Género. Narrativa Fantástica.

Lo que nos cuenta. Corum está viendo como la antigua fortaleza de su familia, el castillo Erorn, está siendo reconstruido y las cosas parecen ir bien, la gente es feliz y las cosechas son buenas, pero sentimientos de rabia, rencor y agresividad empiezan a manifestarse entre amigos, aliados e incluso entre los más cercanos a Corum. Y es que el Rey de las Espadas, Mabelode, está buscando una aproximación más indirecta a la victoria, por lo que Corum t
David Sarkies
Well, here I am sitting in my room on the 14th floor of the Park Regis hotel in Sydney killing some time before my play (Henry IV) begins. It's funny, sitting here and hearing all of the sounds of the city drift up from below, particularly since I live in a city and I am sure the same sounds can be heard there (with the addition of the ding, ding of the trams – no trams in Sydney, well, okay, there is one tram, but that goes from the railway station to Darling Harbour).
As for this book, well,
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in May 2000.

The last of the Swords of Corum trilogy is very similar to the last of Hawkmoon's adventures in The Quest for Tanelorn. Corum, last of the Vadagh race, faces a renewed attack by the Chaos gods, led by Mabelode, King of the Swords, brother of the less powerful gods destroyed by Corum in the earlier books of the trilogy. This time the attack, again mediated by the barbaric Earl Glandyth, is more subtle, involving sorcery rather than military force.
Traummachine
This time around Corum was flung about various worlds/planes. Moorcock's writing here reminded me of Zelazny's Amber series. Since Nine Princes in Amber was published the year before, the influence makes sense. But this flinging is more than just a colorful backdrop, as it foreshadows later events, and leads to some interesting background of Corum's artificial hand and eye. The novel ties it all together well.

The conclusion of the Swords Trilogy was huge. Battles with gods aren't new to the seri
Gileblit
Tercera entrega de Corum Jhaelen Irsei, el Príncipe de la Túnica Escarlata, y según se dice en el epílogo, el último, aunque todos sabemos que hay un cuarto "El toro y la lanza" he incluso he encontrado datos sobre una quinta entrega.

Esta saga en general, al guardar relación directa con Elric y Ereköse, sobre todo, aclara muchos puntos respecto a esas otras dos sagas, y tiene multitud de guiños a todo aquél que conozca la saga de Elric. La torre evanescente, que vuelve a aparecer, determinados c
Deadwish
Reseña completa en mi blog

Sin duda el más entretenido, también el más alocado y complejo. La brevedad del libro hace parecer demasiado corto el periplo por el que pasan. Aquellos que no hayan leído alguna de las otras sagas de Moorcock tal vez no disfruten tanto su clímax, pero la historia igualmente es entendible. El final, algo predecible, igual funciona muy bien y tiene su pequeña (gran) sorpresa.
La escena en la que Los Tres que son Uno se juntan... tie
Bill  Kerwin

In the last volume of the first Corum trilogy, Moorcock pulls out all the stops as Corum joins forces with two other incarnations of the Eternal Champion to restore the balance of a world bereft of Law and dominated by Chaos. The ending is quite surprising, and I believe Voltaire would have liked it a lot. As always, Moorcock surpasses other fantasy writers in the originality and superfluity of his invention.
Ben Carlsen
Far more interesting than the previous two Corum books, in my opinion. The first was an interesting set-up, the second was just battle after tedious battle, but the third was a sprawling adventure with sword, sorcery, exploration of several different planes, battles between gods... very fun, and an incredibly intriguing and unexpected ending.
J.M. Slowik
Nov 30, 2012 J.M. Slowik rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adolescent boys
Shelves: fantasy, bizarre
Kill the gods! This was a satisfying conclusion to Corum's saga, with a surprise appearance by some familiar geography. Not to mention an effective and somewhat unconventional denouement.

I'm not sure I'm going to seek out other titles by this author, but these three were surprisingly good, quick reads.
Shannon Appelcline
By the time we get to the third book, Corum has lost almost all of its Celtic flavor. The adventure also seems mainly matter-of-fact. The only thing that brings the book up to slightly above average is a couple of surprises revealed in the last few pages.
Marianne
Interesting world, but I only have the third in the series, and despite the recap at the beginning, it doesn't stand alone well. Perhaps with all three, the reader might be more drawn into the plight of the characters.
Maximiliano
Trilogía que debe ser un "must read" en la biblioteca de cualquier fanático del genero.
Deedee
Corum: The Coming of Chaos has volumes #1-3, including this one.
Peter
Interesting but I couldn't get into the series enough to re-read
Charles
I generally like the Corum books quite a lot.
AndrewP
Third and final book of the Corum trilogy.
Doomsday Machine
Doomsday Machine marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Lucy
Lucy added it
Dec 14, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
  • Hrolf Kraki's Saga
  • Elric: Stormbringer
  • Cugel's Saga
  • Swords in the Mist (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #3)
  • Death's Master (Flat Earth, #2)
  • Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone
  • Requiem
  • Midnight Sun
  • Elric: Tales of the White Wolf (Michael Moorcock's Elric)
  • Dusk (Tales of Noreela, #1)
  • The Pastel City
  • Almuric
  • The Day After Judgment (After Such Knowledge, #3)
  • The Walrus And The Warwolf
  • Outside the Dog Museum (Answered Prayers, #4)
Michael John Moorcock is an English writer primarily of science fiction and fantasy who has also published a number of literary novels.
Moorcock has mentioned The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Apple Cart by George Bernard Shaw and The Constable of St. Nicholas by Edward Lester Arnold as the first three books which captured his imagination. He became editor of Tarzan Adventures in 1956,
More about Michael Moorcock...
Elric of Melniboné (Elric, #1) Stormbringer (Elric, #6) The Vanishing Tower (Elric, #4) The Weird of the White Wolf (The Elric Saga, #3) The Sailor on the Seas of Fate (Elric, #2)