Start by marking “1824: The Arkansas War” as Want to Read:
1824: The Arkansas War

1824: The Arkansas War (Trail of Glory #2)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  457 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
In the newest volume of this exhilarating series, Eric Flint continues to reshape American history, imagining how a continent and its people might have taken a different path to its future. With 1824: The Arkansas War, he spins an astounding and provocative saga of heroism, battlefield action, racial conflict, and rebellion as a nation recovering from war is plunged into a ...more
Published November 28th 2006 by Del Rey (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about 1824, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1824

Martin
Feb 01, 2015 Martin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, alt-history
I'll try the pros and cons approach this time, just for a change.

Pro:

Flint's been writing for a while now, and I believe he's getting better at it. In the past I've found his style to be heavy-handed, prone to repetition and very unsubtle handling of emotion. There's elements of this remaining here, but it seemed much reduced in frequency and degree.

A lot of historical research has clearly gone into this - it's not a period I know well, but as luck would have it I've recently done a bit of readi
Patrick
Bad, implausible alternate history that revolves around Indians but pretty much relegates them to stock background characters, indistinguishable from one another. And the notion of Andrew Jackson as a progressive force for racial tolerance is flatly ludicrous.
Manee
Jun 01, 2010 Manee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, to begin with: I didn't realize this was the second in a series. So the events that led up to the Arkansas Confederacy are a total enigma to me. That didn't help when I began, although it's not uncommon for books to avoid exposition.

In any event, it's an interesting view of alternate history, and I do like the author in general. However, the fact that the Arkansas Confederacy is in no large part Indian was a little annoying considering there were really no indigenous people in any major ro
Tina
Jul 17, 2013 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent alternate history, a genre that also fits science fiction-- What if there had been an Arkansas confederacy, of former slaves, Cherokee and Creek clans and white abolitionists? Peopled with an fair scattering of historical figures-- James Monroe, Henry Clay, John C Calhoun--and Andrew Jackson, Zachary Taylor, John Brown, Charles Ball and Henry Shreve, the story did a few things for me. First, it allows one to consider what the US wold look like if slavery were both depend and challenged ...more
Joseph Farand
Oct 27, 2011 Joseph Farand rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the second book of the series, the new nation of the Confederacy of the Arkansas has become a haven for freed slaves, abolitionists and Indian tribes forced out of the United States. The upcoming presidential elections of 1824 will play a pivotal role in its future since Arkansas and slavery are both hot issues with the candidates - Andrew Jackson, John Quincy Adams, Henry Clay and John Calhoun. This is where a major divergence in Flint's history occurs - in our history Clay allied with Adams ...more
Stephanie
Oct 14, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the follow-up to 1812 – The Rivers of War and picks up the story of Sam Houston, Patrick Driscoll and the other characters from the first book a decade or so later. The Confederation of Arkansas is growing and becoming a magnet for freed slaves, displaced Native Americans and others who are not welcomed in the growing Republic of the United States.

This is a pure alternate history novel and while Eric has teamed up with David Weber and others on the 1632 series of alternate history, thos
Justin
Dec 27, 2014 Justin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a page turner; i could not stop reading once i started. the ending was a bit abrupt since the war between the US and the Confederacy of Arkansas was not resolved.

there are plenty of alternate universe / points of divergence but that did not detract. in fact, it made me actually go look up the original characters and how they lived and died.

unfortunately, no sequel has been planned(?).
Beau
Apr 17, 2010 Beau rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Without spoiling the story, let me say that I enjoyed the real characters such as Sam Houston, Andrew Jackson, John Quincy Adams, and Zachary Taylor. I also enjoyed the fictitious characters, especially the Laird of Arkansas, Patrick Driscol.

The previous book in the series wasn't in my library, so I had to pretend like I knew the alternate history from the first book. It wasn't too much of a stretch, Flint made it almost stand alone.

I thought I was reading a Harry T
Amber
I want, nay, NEED, the next book to come out. The whispers in the aether says there is at least one more story to be told, but Flint is so prolific that I don't know when it will ever happen. This is a worthy sequel to 1812: Rivers of War and if you read the first one and enjoy it (as any bibliophile probably will), you will be very pleased with the progression of this story. The pathos, adventure, and pure emotion in this story grabbed me by the heartstrings. I didn't think it was possible for ...more
James Willey
Jan 28, 2016 James Willey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like 1812 (which is prerequisit) this is excellent. Found the political story lines very detailed and well done.
Bryan
Jun 27, 2008 Bryan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As a sequel to 1814, it is good. If you are just looking to continue with the characters introduced in 1814 then it is absolutely worth the read. On its own, however, it is an incomplete narrative. What the book says its about and what it is really about are two different things. I looked online and could find no word of a third novel in the series. If that is the case, this book is even worse, because it ends smack dab in the middle of most of the major plotlines that it introduces.

A good part
Kris
Feb 16, 2009 Kris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1824 is a sequel to 1812: The Rivers of War (Trail of Glory, Book 1), and if you enjoyed that book, you'll enjoy this one. Taking place ten years after the end of the first book, it explores the new nation that's come into existence in that time, and the effect it has on the US, especially with regards to slavery. My only disappointment is that while the title is the Arkansas War, it really only covers the beginning of that war, so it feels somewhat unfinished. Maybe the author plans to write a ...more
Carolyn Fitzpatrick
The Confederation of Arkansas is an independent nation populated by free blacks and five Native American tribes, and its existence is resented by pro-slavery factions in the US. The historical characters who inhabit this hypothetical situation are vividly portrayed - JQ Adams, Andrew Jackson, Sam Houston, William Henry Harrison, Henry Clay, Zachary Taylor...
Mickey Schulz
Feb 09, 2010 Mickey Schulz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alt-history
Immediately after finishing the first free ebook, I raced out and bought this one in hardcopy. Loved it, absolutely loved it, and I'm waiting eagerly for a third installment.

I really enjoy the characterization of Andrew Jackson and Sam Houston. Nothing feels forced or out of character for any of the historic figures.
Karen
Jun 30, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
In history, John Quincy Adams was accused of having a corrupt bargain with Henry Clay. In 1824: The Arkansas War Clay becomes president instead and Adams and Jackson form an alliance....find out how. Read this sequel to Flint's novel about the War of 1812.
Mark
Feb 27, 2009 Mark rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very slow, little action, did not believe that the growth of Arkansas as separate country as presented was possible, nor the actions of the people realistic.
Dave
Sep 01, 2013 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fitting development of the history begun in "1812." Flint poses some good questions about what might have been.
Wade
May 04, 2011 Wade rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A ton of fun and a different way to have ended slavery when it should have been put down.
John
Dec 18, 2012 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable continuation of the series. I'm still waiting for the next book.
David
Mar 10, 2012 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alt-history, politics
The way history
Should have been: Adventure, hope,
Glory, humor, and strength.
Flint
Quilombo dos Palmares ao longo Rio de Arkansas
Kent
Kent rated it it was ok
Feb 08, 2016
Steven Stitely
Steven Stitely rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
Luck23
Luck23 added it
Feb 03, 2016
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Farzana
Farzana rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
Art Bernardino
Art Bernardino rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Bob
Bob rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Vasa68
Vasa68 added it
Jan 22, 2016
  • In at the Death (Settling Accounts, #4)
  • Stars and Stripes Forever (Stars and Stripes, #1)
  • Himmler's War
  • An Oblique Approach (Belisarius, #1)
  • Marching Through Georgia (Draka, #1)
Eric Flint is a New York Times bestselling American author, editor, and e-publisher. The majority of his main works are alternate history science fiction, but he also writes humorous fantasy adventures.
More about Eric Flint...

Trail of Glory (2 books)
  • 1812: The Rivers of War (Trail of Glory, #1)