At Last Comes Love (Huxtable Quintet, #3)

At Last Comes Love (Huxtable Quintet #3)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  4,523 ratings  ·  270 reviews
BONUS: This edition contains an excerpt from Mary Balogh's The Secret Mistress.

Step into a world of scandal, intrigue, and enthralling passion as
New York Times bestselling author Mary Balogh sweeps us into the lives of an extraordinary family: the Huxtables. Margaret, the eldest, embarks on the most risqué adventure of her life and agrees to marry the most notorious man i...more
Published April 28th 2009 by Dell (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about At Last Comes Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At Last Comes Love

D.G.
I’ve been reading Mary Balogh for the last 8 or 9 years and she’s written some of my favorite historical romance. That’s why I’m saddened to realize that she’s jumped the shark. This Huxtable series has seemed so boring to me since the first book but I was hoping that she would turn it around. This 3rd book in the series has a more original premise than its predecessors but it’s at times dull, pompous, and unromantic, which for me is a kiss of death in a romance.

Labeling a romance unromantic ma...more
Hirondelle
I wanted to love this, due to external stress I seem to only want light reads ( good light reads. not so easy though!), so decided to catch up on Balogh´s new reads. But like others of her recent books, this is so bland, dragged too much of the feelings of falling in love all over the last half of the book. Dunno, maybe a shorter regency would be a better format for this story, but it´s so repetitive. Pity, I liked Meg and she had some great lines!
MB
It has become obvious to me that the 'overriding theme' of the Huxtable quintet is that of couples who are forced by various circumstances to marry in haste; who then come to know, and later, love each other.

The third book in this series was going along well with that theme and I was enjoying it until about page 342 when my suspension of disbelief hit the wall. Margaret (Maggie) jumped to some very inobvious conclusions and I stopped liking her very much when her emotionalism took over her brai...more
Juliana
Another great Balogh book; I wasn't sure how she was going to make the hero running away with his fiancee's sister-in-law the day before his wedding five years ago okay, but the truth and secrets that come out do indeed do that and on the whole, they were mostly unexpected, which was nice since it keeps you guessing. The villains were unbelievably villainous - disgustingly so ...

Three petty annoyances:
(1) Two or three times Balogh has the heroine - who is by no means one of those annoying weepy...more
Choi Tang
Nisha
I know I've been rating all the books (so far) in the series four stars. But, I guess there are different levels of starhood. Like this one. I loved it the best, but not enough to give it 5 stars.

Margaret Huxtable is nearly officially a spinster. And with the return of her ex-beau (who also married, had a child with a Spanish lady, and later been widowed), her unmarried state has become an embarrassment. To save face against ex-beau, she fabricates a fiance and gets herself betrothed to a man w...more
Ana T.
I think that the Huxtable series is improving with every book that comes out and this third book is now my favourite in the series.

This is the story of Margaret Huxtable, the older sister of the Huxtables, the one that stayed home to take care of her siblings and that by doing that had to refuse an offer of marriage of her childhood friend, Crispin Dew, and despite them having an understanding she later discovered he had married while fighting in Spain.

When the story opens Meg has finally deci...more
M—
LaFleurBleue
Once more, I really enjoyed the first part of the story, when the noose seemed to hang closer and closer to both main characters' necks. The plot had also several very unusual and almost disturbing twists, some of them were obvious, while others I did not expect.
I rather liked how they decided to become more intimate with each other. However all their discussions regarding their feelings and how to help those grow felt really cold-blooded and as unromantic as could be.
Natālija
I am loving this series and this book is my favorite so far. Of course, Margaret was a wonderful, mature character, but this story wouldn't be so good without Duncan, the main hero. He was simply perfect: kind, generous, loyal, compassionate, suave... "At Last Comes Love" kept my interest thanks to its rich characters & original plot. I definitely recommend this book.
Ellen
This author is hit or miss with me. I picked this up at the grocery store, and it was a decent diversion for the few hours it took to read. I skimmed a lot, unfortunately. They had so many deep discussions! They worked so hard to fall in love it got a bit tedious. The story was interesting enough, but the heroine wasn't quite believable. Ah well.
Deedee
This book started off slow but got interesting towards the middle. It was amazingly well written and humorous of a book. I would recommend it to anyone to read.
Happy Reading!! :)
Kimm
It would be my luck to see this pretty book on the end of an aisle and decide to buy it--without giving a thought to the fact that it may come after other books in a series. Never having read Mary Balogh before, of course, I didn’t give it a thought. And yes, as you may have already guessed, this book is the third (hence the #3 after the title) in a series.

I detest reading books out of order, but I read it anyway and was very glad that I did. I think Mary Balogh will become a favorite Regency au...more
Sbuchler
Genre: Regency romance

I started re-reading the _Slightly_ series and got onto a Mary Balogh kick. Unfortunately, the Huxtable series has so far disappointed. I got sidetracked away from the first one in the series (_First Comes Marriage_) because the excerpt for _At Last Comes Love_ was so funny. However, most of the book is not funny. Even the scene the excerpt came from was far less funny in context.

The story is of Margaret Huxtable, eldest of the Huxtables, who was left in reduced circumstanc...more
Elizabeth Reeve
Full review (rather, set of reviews) here.

So, I sort of have a thing for marriage of convenience narratives. This book has one of those, written extremely well, with characters who I would totally hang out with in real life (assuming the existence of time travel, etc.). On top of that, the secondary characters aren’t just background – the heroine’s family are a big part of her life, and important to the progression of the story.

But what really set this book apart for me was that even though the...more
Kristy
This one was a little slow. But I liked the ending. It seemed as though their love developed slower, so it was more believable. I loved that Duncan was actually a good, honorable guy even though everyone thought he was the worst of the worst.

I also liked that Elliot laughed and joked in this book. I like that Balogh is continuing the other stories in a way. I like that she is showing how he is still changing.

Something I really didn't like, was when Margaret got mad at Duncan at the end, and she...more
Shannon
Balogh's 3rd book in the Huxtable series, this book is about Margaret the oldest sister. Left by her childhood sweetheart when he went off to war, Margaret stayed to raise her 3 younger siblings. More than a dozen years later, her younger brother is now an Earl and her sisters happily married, her former love returns and she impulsively agrees to marry a stranger to make him jealous. Duncan an outcast Earl after a scandal 5 years earlier needs a wife and quickly. This unlikely couple marries and...more
Ruth
In the previous books in this series, Margaret came across as something of a sour, prematurely-aged but attractive, soon-to-be fossilized spinster. She really comes into her own in this story. The plot is a bit far-fetched, but in Regency England people did do the most ridiculous things to get married to society's satisfaction, so this creative plot works for me. The hero is very different than in tour typical Regency romance, and remains something of an enigma. A really wonderful gamma hero und...more
Chris
If only I hadn't just finished the second book of the series, I would have liked this one better. This suffered from an almost identical progression of events when the newly-married couple arrives at their new home, on top of an overly-melodramatic subplot revolving around Toby and one of my least-favorite romance novel stereotypes, the evil homo.

This is balanced by an intriguing set-up of my always beloved marriage of convenience plot and interesting main characters. So, we come to an average o...more
TJ
Hooray! With the first three books of the Hustable Quintet, Ms. Balogh has finally and beautifully acknowledged the fact that sexual tension before marriage can be just as exciting, if not more, than the consumation - especially in 19th century England. This fits so much better with factual history than her other works where she imposes 21st century morality on 19th century society. Her writing is just as wonderful and these stories are just as riveting while actually being historically correct!
Lucimar
Merecidas 5 estrelas porque não me permitiu abandoná-lo enquanto não terminei.
Duncan é o herói carismático, renegado por uma sociedade que o condenou quando no dia de seu casamento fugiu com a cunhada da noiva! Um v-e-r-d-a-d-e-i-r-o escândalo!
Maggie é um solteirona que criou seus irmãos desde os dezessete anos e jurou para o pai no leito de morte que cuidaria deles. e agora livre das responsabilidades, aos trinta, deseja ter seu próprio lugar e sua família, mas seus possíveis candidatos são um...more
ChloeLeeNH
I think I enjoyed this one the most. I can now flesh out Balogh's theme with this series of rushing to marriage and then the courtship to follow. I love how they reveal the hero's past and that the stories are not always right. Glad Balogh is back :). Con's story is coming out next year. I will definitely be looking for that one!!
Lita Bouquard
Meg the eldest Huxtable sister who mothered Stephen and Katherine giving up her own chance at marriage years ago, learns her one time love has returned. Meg promised her father at the age of 17 that she would raise her siblings. Crispen her love left for the army promising to return. He never did, never wrote and she found out that he married. Poor Meg was so hurt and now she hears he has returned with a motherless child and wishes to see her. She is furious and wants him to know she wasn't wait...more
Meliana
Cinta masa lalu Miss Margaret Huxtable, Crispin Dew, kini datang lagi dalam kehidupannya dan meminta Meg untuk menikahinya. Meg yang masih sakit hati karena Crispin mengkhianatinya karena menikahi wanita Prancis, makin marah pada pria itu karena Crispin kini ingin menikahinya karena dia membutuhkan seorang ibu untuk putrinya. Tak ingin terlihat 'tidak laku' dihadapan Crispin, Meg pun mengaku bahwa dia sedang bertunangan dengan seseorang dan akan mengenalkannya pada Crispin saat pesta dansa Lady...more
Kaetrin
Really really good. After all the Balogh categories, I felt like something more substantial and then remembered I hadn't read bks 3 and 4 for the Huxtable series yet. I really loved Duncan. Again, first impressions can be deceptive - there was much more going on than met the eye and than most people ever knew. He is a very very good man. With a terrible reputation. But, as Duncan's mother says:

But he is thirty years old. Multiply those years by three hundred and sixty-five and even if you ignor...more
Linda
Jun 15, 2010 Linda rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes, if like historical Regency romances
Recommended to Linda by: Myself
Jacqueline
Feb 14, 2010 Jacqueline rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical romance readers than enjoy a solid and believeable hero and heroine
Recommended to Jacqueline by: Impulse buy
Summed up in a nut shell, this was a great book! I very much admired the hero and heroine, the story had wonderful pacing pared with consistent momentum until the very end. The climax was written beautifully, and the storyline was simple enough to be entertaining and complex enough to be legitimate.

The plot of the novel contains many surprises and the characters, most especially the hero Duncan, was very interestingly structured. Nothing is as it may appear in regards to this male lead. One of...more
E.
Margaret Huxtable has sacrificed her life and happiness to raise her brother and sisters at the cost of her first love, Crispin Dew. She was devastated to learn that the man that she gave her heart to married someone else while he was away at war but she has gathered herself together and continued quietly on and supported her sisters through successful courtships into happy marriages. Crispin suddenly reappears as a widower with a young child and expects to resume where he left off but Margaret...more
Patrice
In this third book in the Huxtable series, we find Margaret “Meg” Huxtable ready to accept the Marquess of Allingham should he offer for her again this Season. She has learned the her first love, Crispin Dew has been widowed and returned home to the family home in Shropshire, Rundle Park, with his young daughter. Margaret realizes that she can no longer imagine herself married to Crispin Dew after his broken promise to wait for her upon his return from the war. There’s had not been a true love...more
Sharon
The third novel in Balogh's "Huxtable Quintet", now following the romance of Margaret, the eldest sibling within the Huxtable family.

(MINOR SPOILERS BELOW)

Margaret is now 30, and knows that her chances for marriage are slipping by quite quickly. Her romantic history is somewhat tragic; Crispin Dew, the elder brother of Vanessa’s first husband, went away to war, vowing to remain faithful to Margaret. She stayed behind to look after her siblings, instead of marrying him right then and there and fo...more
  • What A Lady Wants (Last Man Standing, #2)
  • It Happened One Night
  • A Duke of Her Own (Desperate Duchesses, #6)
  • Wed Him Before You Bed Him
  • The Wedding Challenge (The Matchmakers #3)
  • A Husband's Wicked Ways (Cavendish Square, #3)
  • To Seduce a Sinner (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #2)
  • Not Quite a Lady (Carsington Brothers, #4)
  • Provocative in Pearls (The Rarest Blooms #2)
  • The China Bride (The Bride Trilogy, #2)
  • Lady Beware (Company of Rogues, #14)
  • Something About Emmaline (Bachelor Chronicles, #1)
  • Goddess of the Hunt (The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy, #1)
  • To Romance a Charming Rogue (Courtship Wars, #4)
  • Never Deceive a Duke (Neville Family, #2)
Mary Jenkins was born on 1944 in Swansea, Wales, UK. After graduating from university, moved to Saskatchewan, Canada, to teach high-school English, on a two-year teaching contract in 1967. She married her Canadian husband, Robert Balogh, and had three children, Jacqueline, Christopher and Sian. When she's not writing, she enjoys reading, music and knitting. She also enjoys watching tennis and curl...more
More about Mary Balogh...
Slightly Dangerous (Bedwyn Saga, #6) Slightly Married (Bedwyn Saga, #1) A Summer to Remember (Bedwyn Prequels, #2) First Comes Marriage (Huxtable Quintet #1) Slightly Wicked (Bedwyn Saga, #2)

“Falling in love was as much about receiving as it was giving, was it? It seemed selfish. It was not, though. It was the opposite. Keeping oneself from being loved was to refuse the ultimate gift.
He had thought himself done with romantic love. He had thought himself an incurable cynic.
He was not, though.
He was only someone whose heart and mind, and very soul, had been battered and bruised. It was still - and always - safe to give since there was a certain deal of control to be exerted over giving. Taking, or allowing oneself to receive, was an altogether more risky business.
For receiving meant opening up the heart again.
Perhaps to rejection.
Or disillusionment.
Or pain.
Or even heart break.
It was all terribly risky.
And all terribly necessary.
And of course, there was the whole issue of trust...”
29 likes
“After you married, Crispin, she said, my heart was broken. I will not deny it. But I did not slip into a sort of suspended life that would be forever gray and meaningless if you did not somehow come back to me. I put back the pieces of my heart and kept on living. I am not the woman I was when I was in love with you and expecting to marry you. I am not the woman I was when I heard that you were married. I am the woman I have become in the five years since then, and she is a totally different person. I like her. I wish to continue living her life.” 6 likes