Start by marking “At Last Comes Love (Huxtable Quintet, #3)” as Want to Read:
At Last Comes Love (Huxtable Quintet, #3)

At Last Comes Love (Huxtable Quintet #3)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  5,131 ratings  ·  296 reviews
BONUS: This edition contains an excerpt from Mary Balogh's The Secret Mistress.

Step into a world of scandal, intrigue, and enthralling passion as
New York Times bestselling author Mary Balogh sweeps us into the lives of an extraordinary family: the Huxtables. Margaret, the eldest, embarks on the most risqué adventure of her life and agrees to marry the most notorious man i
Published April 28th 2009 by Dell (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about At Last Comes Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At Last Comes Love

Diane Librarian
I enjoyed this novel so much that I was actually smiling while I read it.

I was on a historical romance kick last week and read three Mary Balogh books in quick succession. This was my favorite of the three* because of the flirty dialogue between the rogue Earl of Sheringford and the seemingly prim Miss Margaret Huxtable. Margaret runs into the earl when she is trying to escape from an old flame at a ball, and the earl holds her and says, "What is your hurry? Why not stay and dance with me? And
D.G.
I’ve been reading Mary Balogh for the last 8 or 9 years and she’s written some of my favorite historical romance. That’s why I’m saddened to realize that she’s jumped the shark. This Huxtable series has seemed so boring to me since the first book but I was hoping that she would turn it around. This 3rd book in the series has a more original premise than its predecessors but it’s at times dull, pompous, and unromantic, which for me is a kiss of death in a romance.

Labeling a romance unromantic ma
Hirondelle
I wanted to love this, due to external stress I seem to only want light reads ( good light reads. not so easy though!), so decided to catch up on Baloghs new reads. But like others of her recent books, this is so bland, dragged too much of the feelings of falling in love all over the last half of the book. Dunno, maybe a shorter regency would be a better format for this story, but its so repetitive. Pity, I liked Meg and she had some great lines! ...more
Juliana
Another great Balogh book; I wasn't sure how she was going to make the hero running away with his fiancee's sister-in-law the day before his wedding five years ago okay, but the truth and secrets that come out do indeed do that and on the whole, they were mostly unexpected, which was nice since it keeps you guessing. The villains were unbelievably villainous - disgustingly so ...

Three petty annoyances:
(1) Two or three times Balogh has the heroine - who is by no means one of those annoying weepy
MB (What she read)
It has become obvious to me that the 'overriding theme' of the Huxtable quintet is that of couples who are forced by various circumstances to marry in haste; who then come to know, and later, love each other.

The third book in this series was going along well with that theme and I was enjoying it until about page 342 when my suspension of disbelief hit the wall. Margaret (Maggie) jumped to some very inobvious conclusions and I stopped liking her very much when her emotionalism took over her brai
Nisha
I know I've been rating all the books (so far) in the series four stars. But, I guess there are different levels of starhood. Like this one. I loved it the best, but not enough to give it 5 stars.

Margaret Huxtable is nearly officially a spinster. And with the return of her ex-beau (who also married, had a child with a Spanish lady, and later been widowed), her unmarried state has become an embarrassment. To save face against ex-beau, she fabricates a fiance and gets herself betrothed to a man w
Choi Tang
Ana T.
I think that the Huxtable series is improving with every book that comes out and this third book is now my favourite in the series.

This is the story of Margaret Huxtable, the older sister of the Huxtables, the one that stayed home to take care of her siblings and that by doing that had to refuse an offer of marriage of her childhood friend, Crispin Dew, and despite them having an understanding she later discovered he had married while fighting in Spain.

When the story opens Meg has finally deci
M—
LaFleurBleue
Once more, I really enjoyed the first part of the story, when the noose seemed to hang closer and closer to both main characters' necks. The plot had also several very unusual and almost disturbing twists, some of them were obvious, while others I did not expect.
I rather liked how they decided to become more intimate with each other. However all their discussions regarding their feelings and how to help those grow felt really cold-blooded and as unromantic as could be.
Natālija
I am loving this series and this book is my favorite so far. Of course, Margaret was a wonderful, mature character, but this story wouldn't be so good without Duncan, the main hero. He was simply perfect: kind, generous, loyal, compassionate, suave... "At Last Comes Love" kept my interest thanks to its rich characters & original plot. I definitely recommend this book.
Ellen
This author is hit or miss with me. I picked this up at the grocery store, and it was a decent diversion for the few hours it took to read. I skimmed a lot, unfortunately. They had so many deep discussions! They worked so hard to fall in love it got a bit tedious. The story was interesting enough, but the heroine wasn't quite believable. Ah well.
Deedee
This book started off slow but got interesting towards the middle. It was amazingly well written and humorous of a book. I would recommend it to anyone to read.
Happy Reading!! :)
Kaetrin
Really really good. After all the Balogh categories, I felt like something more substantial and then remembered I hadn't read bks 3 and 4 for the Huxtable series yet. I really loved Duncan. Again, first impressions can be deceptive - there was much more going on than met the eye and than most people ever knew. He is a very very good man. With a terrible reputation. But, as Duncan's mother says:

But he is thirty years old. Multiply those years by three hundred and sixty-five and even if you ignor
Jacqueline
Nov 30, 2014 Jacqueline rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical romance readers than enjoy a solid and believeable hero and heroine
Recommended to Jacqueline by: Impulse buy
Summed up in a nut shell, this was a great book! I very much admired the hero and heroine, the story had wonderful pacing pared with consistent momentum until the very end. The climax was written beautifully, and the storyline was simple enough to be entertaining and complex enough to be legitimate.

The plot of the novel contains many surprises and the characters, most especially the hero Duncan, was very interestingly structured. Nothing is as it may appear in regards to this male lead. One of
Kimm
It would be my luck to see this pretty book on the end of an aisle and decide to buy it--without giving a thought to the fact that it may come after other books in a series. Never having read Mary Balogh before, of course, I didn’t give it a thought. And yes, as you may have already guessed, this book is the third (hence the #3 after the title) in a series.

I detest reading books out of order, but I read it anyway and was very glad that I did. I think Mary Balogh will become a favorite Regency au
Sbuchler
Genre: Regency romance

I started re-reading the _Slightly_ series and got onto a Mary Balogh kick. Unfortunately, the Huxtable series has so far disappointed. I got sidetracked away from the first one in the series (_First Comes Marriage_) because the excerpt for _At Last Comes Love_ was so funny. However, most of the book is not funny. Even the scene the excerpt came from was far less funny in context.

The story is of Margaret Huxtable, eldest of the Huxtables, who was left in reduced circumstanc
Elizabeth Reeve
Full review (rather, set of reviews) here.

So, I sort of have a thing for marriage of convenience narratives. This book has one of those, written extremely well, with characters who I would totally hang out with in real life (assuming the existence of time travel, etc.). On top of that, the secondary characters aren’t just background – the heroine’s family are a big part of her life, and important to the progression of the story.

But what really set this book apart for me was that even though the
Kristy
This one was a little slow. But I liked the ending. It seemed as though their love developed slower, so it was more believable. I loved that Duncan was actually a good, honorable guy even though everyone thought he was the worst of the worst.

I also liked that Elliot laughed and joked in this book. I like that Balogh is continuing the other stories in a way. I like that she is showing how he is still changing.

Something I really didn't like, was when Margaret got mad at Duncan at the end, and she
Kate Lapinski
One of my resolutions is to read more in genres I have very little experience with, so 2015 is going to the be the year of the romance, the thriller and the YA. I read that this author was one of the best, and one of my jobs had it on a "leave a book, take a book" shelf so here I am. I liked it alright. I think my attention to the story and the fun of it would have been better served in a shorter form, but it was what I thought it would be.
Laurla2
"she realized something as her family all looked at her in love and concern. she was ripe for rebellion. or else she was just stubborn."

"the pain is caused by the realization that he was never the man i thought him to be."
Shannon
Balogh's 3rd book in the Huxtable series, this book is about Margaret the oldest sister. Left by her childhood sweetheart when he went off to war, Margaret stayed to raise her 3 younger siblings. More than a dozen years later, her younger brother is now an Earl and her sisters happily married, her former love returns and she impulsively agrees to marry a stranger to make him jealous. Duncan an outcast Earl after a scandal 5 years earlier needs a wife and quickly. This unlikely couple marries and ...more
Ruth
In the previous books in this series, Margaret came across as something of a sour, prematurely-aged but attractive, soon-to-be fossilized spinster. She really comes into her own in this story. The plot is a bit far-fetched, but in Regency England people did do the most ridiculous things to get married to society's satisfaction, so this creative plot works for me. The hero is very different than in tour typical Regency romance, and remains something of an enigma. A really wonderful gamma hero und ...more
Chris
If only I hadn't just finished the second book of the series, I would have liked this one better. This suffered from an almost identical progression of events when the newly-married couple arrives at their new home, on top of an overly-melodramatic subplot revolving around Toby and one of my least-favorite romance novel stereotypes, the evil homo.

This is balanced by an intriguing set-up of my always beloved marriage of convenience plot and interesting main characters. So, we come to an average o
Elizabeth Bennet
I was eagerly anticipating this book as I read the other two in the series to hear Margaret Huxtable's story. Duncan is our hero and he has got quite the bad wrap following him. His grandfather has dictated to him that if he does not marry before his next birthday he will lose his inheritance. His past history makes this a little difficult but there is more at stake than just himself to think about. It is rumored he had a secret affair with a married woman and a the two had a child together but ...more
TJ
Hooray! With the first three books of the Hustable Quintet, Ms. Balogh has finally and beautifully acknowledged the fact that sexual tension before marriage can be just as exciting, if not more, than the consumation - especially in 19th century England. This fits so much better with factual history than her other works where she imposes 21st century morality on 19th century society. Her writing is just as wonderful and these stories are just as riveting while actually being historically correct!
Lucimar
Merecidas 5 estrelas porque não me permitiu abandoná-lo enquanto não terminei.
Duncan é o herói carismático, renegado por uma sociedade que o condenou quando no dia de seu casamento fugiu com a cunhada da noiva! Um v-e-r-d-a-d-e-i-r-o escândalo!
Maggie é um solteirona que criou seus irmãos desde os dezessete anos e jurou para o pai no leito de morte que cuidaria deles. e agora livre das responsabilidades, aos trinta, deseja ter seu próprio lugar e sua família, mas seus possíveis candidatos são um
V
Fue una maravilla leer este libro.

Voy a comenzar diciendo que adoro a Margaret, Maggie, Meg. Desde la madre que se vio forzada a ser para su familia hasta la mujer que se opone a que otras personas tomen las riendas de su vida. Me gusta muchísimo su forma de ser organizada, que no pueda ocultar esta parte suya que siempre será "la mamá de los pollitos", queriendo pensar bien de todos y protegerlos, además la respeto por la forma en que decide cumplir sus metas: tener un hogar propio, hijos, no s
ChloeLeeNH
I think I enjoyed this one the most. I can now flesh out Balogh's theme with this series of rushing to marriage and then the courtship to follow. I love how they reveal the hero's past and that the stories are not always right. Glad Balogh is back :). Con's story is coming out next year. I will definitely be looking for that one!!
Yankeecountess
The third novel in Balogh's "Huxtable Quintet", now following the romance of Margaret, the eldest sibling within the Huxtable family.

**MINOR SPOILERS BELOW**

Margaret is now 30, and knows that her chances for marriage are slipping by quite quickly. Her romantic history is somewhat tragic; Crispin Dew, the elder brother of Vanessa’s first husband, went away to war, vowing to remain faithful to Margaret. She stayed behind to look after her siblings, instead of marrying him right then and there and
  • Wed Him Before You Bed Him (School For Heiresses, Book 6)
  • To Seduce a Sinner (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #2)
  • The Bridal Quest (The Matchmaker #2)
  • A Duke of Her Own (Desperate Duchesses, #6)
  • Dangerous in Diamonds (The Rarest Blooms, #4)
  • Don't Tempt Me (Fallen Women, #2)
  • It Happened One Night
  • Confessions of a Little Black Gown (Bachelor Chronicles, #4)
  • The Virgin's Secret
  • Rules of an Engagement (Adventurers’ Club, #3)
  • An Unwilling Bride (Company of Rogues, #2)
  • One Perfect Rose (Fallen Angels #7)
  • Pleasures of a Notorious Gentleman (London's Greatest Lovers, #2)
  • What Happens in London (Bevelstoke, #2)
Mary Jenkins was born on 1944 in Swansea, Wales, UK. After graduating from university, moved to Saskatchewan, Canada, to teach high-school English, on a two-year teaching contract in 1967. She married her Canadian husband, Robert Balogh, and had three children, Jacqueline, Christopher and Sian. When she's not writing, she enjoys reading, music and knitting. She also enjoys watching tennis and curl ...more
More about Mary Balogh...

Huxtable Quintet (5 books)
  • First Comes Marriage (Huxtable Quintet #1)
  • Then Comes Seduction (Huxtable Quintet, #2)
  • Seducing an Angel (Huxtable Quintet, #4)
  • A Secret Affair (Huxtable Quintet, #5)
Slightly Dangerous (Bedwyn Saga, #6) Slightly Married (Bedwyn Saga, #1) A Summer to Remember (Bedwyn Prequels, #2) First Comes Marriage (Huxtable Quintet #1) Slightly Scandalous (Bedwyn Saga, #3)

“Falling in love was as much about receiving as it was giving, was it? It seemed selfish. It was not, though. It was the opposite. Keeping oneself from being loved was to refuse the ultimate gift.
He had thought himself done with romantic love. He had thought himself an incurable cynic.
He was not, though.
He was only someone whose heart and mind, and very soul, had been battered and bruised. It was still - and always - safe to give since there was a certain deal of control to be exerted over giving. Taking, or allowing oneself to receive, was an altogether more risky business.
For receiving meant opening up the heart again.
Perhaps to rejection.
Or disillusionment.
Or pain.
Or even heart break.
It was all terribly risky.
And all terribly necessary.
And of course, there was the whole issue of trust...”
32 likes
“Could a love of that magnitude die? If it was true love, could it ever die? Was there such a thing as true love?” 7 likes