Start by marking “Lucy Maud Montgomery Short Stories, 1902-1903” as Want to Read:
Lucy Maud Montgomery Short Stories, 1902-1903

Lucy Maud Montgomery Short Stories, 1902-1903

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Lucy Maud Montgomery, (always called "Maud" by family and friends) and publicly known as L. M. Montgomery, (1874-1942) was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables (1908). In 1893, following the completion of her grade school education in Cavendish, she attended Prince of Wales College in Charlottetown. Completing a two year ...more
Published March 28th 2008 by Dodo Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Lucy Maud Montgomery Short Stories, 1902-1903, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucy Maud Montgomery Short Stories, 1902-1903

I own and have enjoyed all of LM Montgomery's novels and expected to like her short stories just as much. Sadly, this was not to be. One of the major reasons I have decided not to continue with this volume is the quality of the Librivox readers. It seems that these volumes are a sort of practice ground for new and developing narrators. While some of them are quite good, others are still needing more practice.
I'm also of the opinion now that LM Montgomery was a better novelist than short story w
Timothy Stone
L. M. Montgomery shines again in this second compilation of her short stories, this time those that were published in 1902-1903. The same whimsical, funny, and wholesome sweetness that she would later become known for in her Anne Shirley series, was on display in these earlier published tales.

I won't say much on the overall quality of the writing, as that was already covered in the review on the first volume of the short stories, those between 1896-1901. The quality is vintage Montgomery, excep
L.M. Montgomery is a genius. Probably many people have said that, but I mean it. I've been absorbing all her short stories over the past four days, and though I like the 'him-her' ones best, they're all fantastic.

In the later ones there's hints of Anne's House of Dreams and Anne of Avonlea, and even an entire chapter from Anne of Green Gables, but I don't mind. And wouldn't it be funny if that 'short story' is what prompted all of Anne?

The stories are from 1899 to 1928, and there are certain thr
Hannah Victoria Katherine
lots of little stories. As always I wish they were longer and had more detail
Cindy Winder delong
Add this author to my list of favorites. Sweet stories with happy endings.
A wonderful selection of short stories over all kinds of topics, although the three Christmas stories are very alike. It is hard for me to pick a favorite but The Running Away of Chester is one of them with its very detailed description of Chester's plight. And The Strike at Putney is hilarious and quite unusual. As for romances I have always liked An Unconventional Confidence and it still holds its charm.
These stories were sort of whimsical. Often they had sad or prideful elements, and the conflicts were always characters clashing with other characters. In the end, though, some happy conclusion was reached, often by one of the characters admitting a mistake on their part and apologizing, which was interesting. I enjoyed these but wasn't necessarily moved by them.
I've been listening to these on Librivox. Some of the readers are great and some are well...not. Some of the stories feel like they came straight from Louisa May Alcott. And others are so incredibly sappy that I laugh. But they make my kitchen chores go by quickly and I've been enjoying myself.
Sometimes these stories look quite similar and Lucy M Montgomery style is visible in all of them. Regardless of these, the are quite enjoyable and make me travel to a time and place where almost always there is a happy ending for orphans or women!
Again, if you enjoy simple, well-written, happy-ending stories, then you are going to love this collection by L.M. Montgomery. These are what I would consider to be, perfect bedtime reading. I go to sleep, happy, content that all is right in the world. Or at least in her world.
My favorites are: An Unconventional Confidence, The Bride Roses, The Old Chest at Wyther Grange, The Romance of Aunt Beatrice, The Martyrdom of Estelle, and The Running Away of Chester.
Apr 14, 2012 D'face added it
I am currently listening to this on Librivox and enjoying it very much. I confess to often being prompted to tears by these lovely corny stories.
An excellent group of short stories by Montgomery, one of my favorite. What a nice way to finish off another wonderful year of reading.
Like the previous collection, these are enjoyable but brief reads - it's still interesting to see when she's reused an idea or plot.
More lovely short stories from L.M. Montgomery. They are so full of fun characters and it's very easy to get into each story.
Yet another delightful grouping of LMM's works. I read this on the Kindle for free.
The stories are improving and there were a lot that were 4 star quality.
Wanda marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Huda marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Shannon marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Tori marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
KL marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
Cat Reads
Cat Reads marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
  • In the Galapagos Islands with Herman Melville, the Encantadas or Enchanted Isles
  • A Man Called Outlaw
  • Death at the Excelsior and Other Stories
  • Tom Swift and the Electronic Hydrolung  (Tom Swift Jr, #18)
  • From This Wicked Patch of Dust
  • Newlyweds of Convenience
  • The Story Girl Earns Her Name (Road to Avonlea, #2)
  • The Forger
  • The Allingham Case-Book
  • The Mystery of a Butcher's Shop (Mrs. Bradley, #2)
  • The Efficiency Expert
  • Ildprøven (Vildheks, #1)
  • The Romance of a Christmas Card
  • Language: The Social Mirror
  • Great Short Works
  • By Starlight
  • The Stone Pilot
  • Poirot's Early Cases
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911
More about L.M. Montgomery...
Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1) The Complete Anne of Green Gables Boxed Set (Anne of Green Gables, #1-8) Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables, #3) Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2) Anne's House of Dreams (Anne of Green Gables, #5)