Start by marking “Last Chancers” as Want to Read:
Last Chancers

Last Chancers (Last Chancers #1-3)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  278 ratings  ·  19 reviews

Omnibus of all three of the popular Last Chancers novels. Hardened criminal Kage and his team are given one last chance to redeem themselves - they must go on a series of desperate missions behind enemy lines, each more dangerous than the last. Last man standing goes free.

Published March 28th 2006 by Games Workshop

To ask other readers questions about Last Chancers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Chancers

T.j.
Kage was a marine, untell a blackout sends him to the last chancers. now he must fight literally to the death, so he can redeam himself in the fires of battle
Robert Mccarroll
While I have marked the omnibus as 'read', it is simply because I have no intention of picking it up again. I liked the first book of the three, but there was a marked tonal shift upon going into the second book. Almost as if someone had said "Gav, you made Kage too likeable, fix that". In the second book, the narrator went from someone I was capable of rooting for to someone I didn't want to read about anymore. When the colonel orders him back to the penal colony, I'm not rooting for him to get ...more
Derek Weese
Dark, damn is this dark...
That was my initial impression after reading the first novel in this omnibus, it changed my impression of Mr. Thorpe.
Initially I had assumed he was like your kindly Uncle, he looks like he could be at least. Then, after reading the first book in this omni, I figure he just might curb stomp you...but politely, because he's British.
Ok, seriously.
The Last Chancers novels are fairly good. This is early in Gav's career and I could tell a definite improvement from book one t
Kathryn
Two weeks later, and I've finished the entire thing. Three novels and two short stories, all about Lt. Kage and Colonel Schaeffer and some of their missions to dangerous alien worlds along with soldiers drawn from penal colonies, Schaeffer's own legion - the 13th Penal Legion - also known as the 'Last Chancers'.

I have to say, straight away, that this is 40k at its best. The stories are fun, the characters are interesting, and the plots twist and turn as more details are revealed by the Colonel a
John Cahill
I am a big fan of War Hammer 40K novels, unfortunately most of them invariably focus on the life and times of the Space Marines. These 3 novels portray the lives of those who have rebelled from the Imperium, all deserters and traitors who are a hairsbreadth from on the spot execution as they struggle to redeem themselves through forced service in a penal legion unit.

Gav Thorpe puts plenty of life, death and action into his storytelling of the deadly missions and suffering of the Last Chancers as
Benjamin Newland
I was in the mood for some military sci-fi and have been curious about the Warhammer 40,000 novels, since I've played the tabletop miniature game by the same name. This book is a collection of three novels and two short stories. I read the first short and the first novel. All I can say is, "meh." It was fine, but not great. Maybe not even good, but solidly OK. Clearly based on a game and not on a great idea for a novel. I returned the book to the library without bothering the second couple novel ...more
Locked Out
Beau Johnston
It's The Dirty Dozen meets Star Wars; what's not to like? The stories are grim, dark and gritty. Kage, the lead character, shares a few similarities with Riddick (from Pitch Black).
Larry
For some reason I am hooked on Warhammer 40K stories, and this collection is not bad for the writing and the story line. I like the dystopian future laid out by the game creators and it gives the stories some real grit to them, there are really no good guys in this universe and there are plenty of bad actors but it is fun to read.
Wyatt Indermuehle
One of the best novels I've ever read. The action is intense, and the characters seem real. It's writing is really descriptive and gives you a vivid image of the carnage and settings. The plot is great, with twists and turns that will leave you on the edge of your seat. Definately woth reading!
Nicholas Mastrodicasa
Pick this up as soon as you can. They drew their inspiration from The Dirty Dozen, old movie but awesome idea. This is by far one of my favorite series and the main character (it's in first person) is awesome. I've read this series several times over, something I rarely do.
Cropper.John
I thought this book is amazing! This book was one of my favorites ever since i first read it. not that great ending though. but other than that it was great.
Cocolito
Over all, I like this book. I have a video review on each of the stories in this book at blip.tv/choppyreviews if anyone is interested in my opinion.
Mphecker
I had high hopes for this one, but after the first novel it never really got my attention. Decent writing, but nothing to make it unique, sadly.
Patt
Best 40k novel/story i have read to date.
I hope they make a sequel where Cage comes back in the fashion that Shaeffer does.
Larry Kenney
I couldn't put down the first book in the omnibus. The second book was a good read, and the third I didn't really care for.
Justin
Great book for anyone that wants more fluff for 40k or Imperial Guard. Quite simply, it is entertaining.
Ian
Loved the first two novels in the book, but the last one was anticlimactic.
Mark Horner
Satisfied yet again
Andrew Maund
Andrew Maund marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Jonny Roberts
Jonny Roberts marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
  • Storm of Iron
  • Chapter War (Soul Drinkers, #4)
  • Fear the Alien
  • Double Eagle
  • Scourge the Heretic
  • Emperor's Mercy
  • Wolf's Honour
  • Lord of the Night
  • Gunheads (Warhammer 40000)
  • Soul Hunter
  • Fifteen Hours
Gav spent 14 years as a developer for Games Workshop, and started writing novels and short stories in the worlds of Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 when the Black Library imprint was launched in 1997.

He continues to write for Black Library, and his first 'homegrown' novel series The Crown of the Blood has been released via Angry Robot.

Currently living in Nottingham, Gav shares his home with his lo
More about Gav Thorpe...
Deliverance Lost Angels of Darkness Path of the Warrior (Path of the Eldar, #1) Malekith The Purging of Kadillus