Start by marking “Last Chancers” as Want to Read:
Last Chancers

Last Chancers (Last Chancers #1-3)

Omnibus of all three of the popular Last Chancers novels. Hardened criminal Kage and his team are given one last chance to redeem themselves - they must go on a series of desperate missions behind enemy lines, each more dangerous than the last. Last man standing goes free.

Published March 28th 2006 by Games Workshop

To ask other readers questions about Last Chancers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Chancers

T.j.
Aug 20, 2008 T.j. rated it it was amazing
Kage was a marine, untell a blackout sends him to the last chancers. now he must fight literally to the death, so he can redeam himself in the fires of battle
Taddow
Jan 01, 2017 Taddow rated it really liked it
Shelves: warhammer-40-000
This was a great omnibus. I think that Gav Thorpe did a great job of going grim dark with the setting of Warhammer 40,000. The intrigues of the Inquisition, the brutality of warfare, the dangers of the enemies of the Warp and the Xenos, and the struggle for survival which is harsh, ever-present and only offers death as a way out. I will admit that there were moments in the book where the wanton death inflicted by the protagonist, Lieutenant Kage, on the Imperial forces seemed at times to be exce ...more
Derek Weese
Apr 23, 2014 Derek Weese rated it really liked it
Dark, damn is this dark...
That was my initial impression after reading the first novel in this omnibus, it changed my impression of Mr. Thorpe.
Initially I had assumed he was like your kindly Uncle, he looks like he could be at least. Then, after reading the first book in this omni, I figure he just might curb stomp you...but politely, because he's British.
Ok, seriously.
The Last Chancers novels are fairly good. This is early in Gav's career and I could tell a definite improvement from book one t
Robert McCarroll
Nov 14, 2014 Robert McCarroll rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
While I have marked the omnibus as 'read', it is simply because I have no intention of picking it up again. I liked the first book of the three, but there was a marked tonal shift upon going into the second book. Almost as if someone had said "Gav, you made Kage too likeable, fix that". In the second book, the narrator went from someone I was capable of rooting for to someone I didn't want to read about anymore. When the colonel orders him back to the penal colony, I'm not rooting for him to get ...more
Benjamin Newland
May 13, 2010 Benjamin Newland rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010-reads
I was in the mood for some military sci-fi and have been curious about the Warhammer 40,000 novels, since I've played the tabletop miniature game by the same name. This book is a collection of three novels and two short stories. I read the first short and the first novel. All I can say is, "meh." It was fine, but not great. Maybe not even good, but solidly OK. Clearly based on a game and not on a great idea for a novel. I returned the book to the library without bothering the second couple novel ...more
Locked Out
Feb 13, 2010 Locked Out rated it it was ok
Shelves: imperial-guard
John Cahill
Sep 11, 2012 John Cahill rated it really liked it
I am a big fan of War Hammer 40K novels, unfortunately most of them invariably focus on the life and times of the Space Marines. These 3 novels portray the lives of those who have rebelled from the Imperium, all deserters and traitors who are a hairsbreadth from on the spot execution as they struggle to redeem themselves through forced service in a penal legion unit.

Gav Thorpe puts plenty of life, death and action into his storytelling of the deadly missions and suffering of the Last Chancers as
Chris
Jul 29, 2014 Chris rated it liked it
While it didn't grab me the way the Gaunt's Ghosts series did I still enjoyed this collection of stories. The omnibus centers around Lt. Kage, a lifer serving a sentence in one of the Imperium's penal legions. He's pretty much a piece of garbage which does make routing for him difficult at best. The final ending was a bit dissatisfying and I would like to see a continuation of the series, perhaps with a different main protagonist.
Larry
Sep 04, 2010 Larry rated it liked it
For some reason I am hooked on Warhammer 40K stories, and this collection is not bad for the writing and the story line. I like the dystopian future laid out by the game creators and it gives the stories some real grit to them, there are really no good guys in this universe and there are plenty of bad actors but it is fun to read.
Wyatt Indermuehle
Nov 10, 2010 Wyatt Indermuehle rated it really liked it
One of the best novels I've ever read. The action is intense, and the characters seem real. It's writing is really descriptive and gives you a vivid image of the carnage and settings. The plot is great, with twists and turns that will leave you on the edge of your seat. Definately woth reading!
Nicholas Mastrodicasa
Nov 07, 2012 Nicholas Mastrodicasa rated it it was amazing
Pick this up as soon as you can. They drew their inspiration from The Dirty Dozen, old movie but awesome idea. This is by far one of my favorite series and the main character (it's in first person) is awesome. I've read this series several times over, something I rarely do.
Bodicainking
Apr 09, 2015 Bodicainking rated it really liked it
Solid military sci-fi centered around the techno-barbaric-religious fundamentalist humans of the far future with a surprisingly good range of depth-adding observations about the Warhammer 40,000 universe's unique take on 'space barbarian' Orks and 'mecha manga' Tau.
Larry Kenney
I couldn't put down the first book in the omnibus. The second book was a good read, and the third I didn't really care for.
Cocolito
Mar 04, 2012 Cocolito rated it really liked it
Over all, I like this book. I have a video review on each of the stories in this book at blip.tv/choppyreviews if anyone is interested in my opinion.
Mphecker
Oct 29, 2011 Mphecker rated it it was ok
I had high hopes for this one, but after the first novel it never really got my attention. Decent writing, but nothing to make it unique, sadly.
Patt
Nov 21, 2012 Patt rated it it was amazing
Best 40k novel/story i have read to date.
I hope they make a sequel where Cage comes back in the fashion that Shaeffer does.
Beau Johnston
Feb 04, 2014 Beau Johnston rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopian, sci-fi, war
It's The Dirty Dozen meets Star Wars; what's not to like? The stories are grim, dark and gritty. Kage, the lead character, shares a few similarities with Riddick (from Pitch Black).
Cropper.John
Oct 06, 2011 Cropper.John rated it it was amazing
I thought this book is amazing! This book was one of my favorites ever since i first read it. not that great ending though. but other than that it was great.
Morgan
Morgan rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2011
Bryan Fisher
Bryan Fisher rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2015
Danny
Danny rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2012
Evan
Evan rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2011
Shawn McClurg
Shawn McClurg rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2015
Restore Leader
Restore Leader rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2014
Bob
Bob rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2010
Alex Stanford
Alex Stanford rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Vítor
Vítor rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2016
Darkcharade
Darkcharade rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2013
Ernest Law
Ernest Law rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2013
William Kelso
William Kelso rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2015
  • Storm of Iron
  • Wolf's Honour
  • Chapter War (Soul Drinkers, #4)
  • Double Eagle
  • Scourge the Heretic
  • Emperor's Mercy
  • Lord of the Night
  • Gunheads (Warhammer 40000)
  • Fear the Alien
  • Cadian Blood (Imperial Guard)
  • Dark Disciple
  • Relentless
Gav spent 14 years as a developer for Games Workshop, and started writing novels and short stories in the worlds of Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 when the Black Library imprint was launched in 1997.

He continues to write for Black Library, and his first 'homegrown' novel series The Crown of the Blood has been released via Angry Robot.

Currently living in Nottingham, Gav shares his home with his lo
More about Gav Thorpe...