Start by marking “The Good Girl's Guide to Getting Kidnapped” as Want to Read:

Published January 7th 2010 by Penguin Group (USA) Incorporated/ Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about The Good Girl's Guide to Getting Kidnapped, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Girl's Guide to Getting Kidnapped

Brendan
Feb 12, 2010 Brendan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book has one of the coolest covers ever. And the first half of the book is a gripping, page-turning adventure story. It's also a really clever twist on the "regular girl is really a princess" story.

Unfortunately, I just never believed in the main character. She shifts between academic decathlon/track star and gang princess too seamlessly to be completely credible. I just didn't believe in her as a real person.

As other readers have said, the ending feels like a cheat, as it doesn't clearly r
Liza Gilbert
Dec 26, 2010 Liza Gilbert rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, bfya2011
This title has been on the BFYA nomination list (2011) for the better part of a year. I have tried to sell this book to the teens in our BFYA group...to no avail.

I could coat this book in gold and chocolate and I still wouldn't be able to convince a teen to take it home.

In an end-of-the-year attempt to read all the books on the list that haven't yet been read by adults, another library employee and I split the remaining books in half. I voluntarily opted to take this book. I figured that since t
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by JenJen for TeensReadToo.com

Michelle has finally got her life on track and has a wonderful opportunity to get into a nice private school. She gets awesome grades and is even a great athlete. She has a terrific foster father and a super-duper best friend, Kiki - but she also has a past that refuses to let her go.

I loved this book, which is a pleasant surprise because I didn't think I would! Ms. Murray really has done a great job with the language and settings for this. I was sucked in
Kogiopsis
Maybe it's because southern California is really not somewhere I'd ever want to be. Or maybe it's because the whole thing would have been so much more realistic if Michelle had been a few years older. Or maybe it's because the slang was truly bizarre. For whatever reason, this book grated on me. I only finished it for the sake of doing a galley review, and I wouldn't reccomend it to most people. But it wasn't a total disaster- hence the two stars instead of one.
Katie
Nov 26, 2009 Katie rated it liked it
This is a story about a gang princess and the choices that she has to make. Its a little different than other books out there that have similar outlines (love, power, family that is dead/in jail) and but its also similar because of those things too. She has to decide whether she wants to be with her love and rule the gang or go to prep school with her best friend Kiki and stay with Frank her foster dad. I thought it was a good story.
Ari
Jan 18, 2010 Ari rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm torn over how I feel about the language in this book. On the one hand I appreciated all the slang because the entire book isn't in slang, it's understandable and lends an air of authenticity to the book. On the other hand, some of it is so laughably out-there. No offense to anyone who speaks that way but some of the phrases just seemed to be ridiculous (I wish I had examples but I already returned the book). I wish I knew if the language was authentic. I know Chicago slang can be a whole lot ...more
Lisa (A Life Bound By Books)
3 1/2 stars. The main character, Michelle Pena or Princess P was born into a gang family - her mother head of the 99's & her brother head of the Snakes.

In her early teen years both mother and brother were jailed for various gang actives, leaving Michelle to feel she had to fend for herself upon entering the Foster Care system. Moving from home to home - finding out that there is more to life then gangs, Michelle turns to school and running with the track team.

While her and her best friend Ki
Katie
Jul 25, 2009 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
I have to say that The Good Girl's Guide To Getting Kidnapped is unlike anything I have read before. That is both parts good and bad. It's a very unique story and well-written but I'm kind of mixed in my feelings for it.

The Good Girl's Guide To Getting Kidnapped is the story of Michelle Pena, former gang princess of Montebello. Her life seems to be looking up until she and her best friend, Kiki, are kidnapped and held for ransom. Things get real crazy, real quick and Michelle has to make a decis
Julia
Take a latino gang princess (her mom is the Queen, still in charge of the gang from prison) away from her gang ties, put her in a good foster home and give her a shot at a great education - what do you get? Well, "who do you get?" is really more the question at the crux of this gritty novel.

I was totally hooked by the main character Michelle. She, and a friend from her new school, are kidnapped by her former gang "family." Michelle has to find a way to save herself and Kiki, who doesn't know a
Peace Love and Reviews
In all honesty, I wasn't sure I was going to finish this book. All the ghetto talk, slang words scared me a little and the whole gang scene was so Discover / History channel but as I flip through the pages it was a really interesting read.

Michelle Pena was also known as Princess P (from the gang that she was born in back in Montebello), she tried to get away from them, for 2 years she was successful until her past finally catches up with her. She was doing so good. Got a best friend name Kiki, a
Stephanie
Aug 12, 2009 Stephanie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I took the summary from Amazon because the summary from Goodreads was way too comprehensive and practically gave everything away.

Anyway, the plot itself is filled with excitement, action and suspense. I loved how Mish or "Princess P" was able to revert back to her old self just to save her best friend, Kiki. She basically burdened herself and took it upon herself to save her friend who had absolutely nothing to do with the situation and who just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong tim
Mar 03, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yxta Maya
Hi everyone, this is Yxta Maya Murray!
I'm loving reading these wonderful reviews of THE GOOD GIRL'S GUIDE TO GETTING KIDNAPPED, thank you so much for posting them! People seem to be mentioning the end in most of the reviews -- is it that mysterious? Michelle is doing something very specific at the end of the book; I will send a signed copy of the novel and a little painting (a hobby of mine) to the first person who writes me a cool interpretion of the ending. Email me at yxta.murray@lls.edu, and
Alicia
Michelle used to be known as Princess P, the daughter of a gang king and queen, destined to lead the Snake Brothers one day. But her father is dead, her mother's in jail, and she has started a new life as a track star and successful student. Until some of the boyz find her and kidnap her and her best friend, Kiki, as leverage. Now she must choose between the good girl she wants to be, and the bad girl she was born to be.

I had trust issues with this book, and it was probably just me. It's written
Viviam
Jul 09, 2010 Viviam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
Michelle Pena is the princess to a gang. After her brother and mother get busted and end up in jail she turns her back on the world of crime and to be the best she can be. Everything she wants is happening, that is until she and her best friend Kiki are kidnapped. Former members of her gang take her as ransom, so her brother will tell them where the drug money is from he night he got caught. Now she has to use her wit and gang savvy to get her and Kiki out before they get killed.
I didn't relate
Anastasia
Mar 04, 2013 Anastasia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
if you like dangerous stories and you like haring how they end wether they live or die well this book is for you a good girl or at least you will think she is a good girl had a life that she left when her mom went to prison has gotten kidnapped by her old life which did her wrong and hurt her she was the most interesting girl who want to get nto a collage so if you want to find out what happened to her when she got kidnapped you better go find the book...........

P.S
this book will catch your eye
Heather
The cartoonish cover doesn't really go with the story inside. Teen readers were much more drawn in to the cover on Locas by the same author. It does however, reflect the story in which Michelle Pena has hidden her true past as the daughter of a notorious gang leader, Reina Pena. Michelle discovers that she cannot escape her past when she is kidnapped to be used against her mother and brother. Michelle must become the gang princess she didn't want to be in order to save herself and her best frien ...more
Sue
Jun 22, 2010 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Michelle is fast, really fast, all American high school fast. She has a foster father who is taking good care of her. Michelle and her best friend Kiki both have a real shot at getting into a very fancy private school on full scholarships. But her past is going to interrupt those plans. She’s also Princess M, next in line to lead The Snakes. She has to decide what world she will live in.
Paula
Dec 06, 2009 Paula rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fresher take for teen urban fiction. It is well written and enjoyable. Unfortunately, it has a non-ending. I'm not sure if Murray is hoping for a franchise and this book is the first of it, but I was certainly disappointed with the way she left this book.
Maggie V
I wish there was a little more closure at the end of the book. However, I appreciated Michelle's dilemma and loved how strong and resourceful she is. Not as good as I was expecting (a friend recommended it), but still a good book (which is why the three more stars)
Ifahh
May 05, 2010 Ifahh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gangster
It's such a refreshing read because it's written very... differently. I loved it; it kept my adrenaline pumping.
Ayah
Awesome book. I want to read it again.
Sharon
Apr 28, 2010 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took me by surprise, I honestly wasn't sure if I would like it. Turns out, I loved it.
Jarieu jallon
Nov 26, 2016 Jarieu jallon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is excellent
the keeper
good and fun book
but in the end it does have u thinking like,
so does she choose the ganster way of life or does she go to yale?
i liked games character
Sabrina
Jun 24, 2010 Sabrina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, chick-flick
REALLY GOOD!!!! i really enjoyed how they showed how girls can be tough! two thumbs up!!! =D =D 'star' 'star'
Meagan
Meagan rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2017
Anbar
Anbar rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2011
Missy
Missy rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Baby
  • Of All the Stupid Things
  • Tagged
  • Paisley Hanover Kisses and Tells
  • M+O 4EVR
  • The Tear Collector
  • Freaksville (Freaksville, #1)
  • Rikers High
  • The Pillow Book of Lotus Lowenstein
  • Friend Is Not a Verb
  • Deep in the Heart of High School
  • My Invented Life
  • Plus
  • Losing Romeo
  • Rising Shadow (The Soterians, #1)
  • The Interrogation of Gabriel James
  • The Fortune of Carmen Navarro
  • The Life of Glass
Yxta Maya Murray is a professor at Loyola Law School and currently lives in Studio City, California.
More about Yxta Maya Murray...