Start by marking “Anansi Boys” as Want to Read:
Anansi Boys

Anansi Boys (American Gods #2)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  142,977 Ratings  ·  7,031 Reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review
Anansi Boys, a sequel of sorts to Neil Gaiman's Hugo- and Nebula Award winning American Gods, revolves around a prudish guy named Fat Charlie -- the unwitting son of the spider-trickster god Anansi -- who, after finding out about the death of his estranged father, meets the brother he never knew he had: and watches as his orderly life devolves
Published September 20th 2005 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Anansi Boys, please sign up.

T. Blake Neil Gaiman has mentioned in several interviews that Anansi Boys is most mistakenly viewed as a sequel, when all he did was roll over some of the…moreNeil Gaiman has mentioned in several interviews that Anansi Boys is most mistakenly viewed as a sequel, when all he did was roll over some of the characters from American Gods. If I remember correctly, he's also mentioned that he started writing Anansi Boys first but American Gods ended up being published first. Hope that helps.(less)
Cathy Sprankle I'd say no; I just finished reading Anansi Boys and didn't realize until just now that it was a sequel to American Gods. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Seth T.
Apr 14, 2008 Seth T. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I laughed out loud. While reading. In a Japanese rice bowl joint. Okay, so maybe it was more of a chortle, but it was definitely out loud. And more than just the once. Patrons quietly minding their own business while slogging through their Number Three Specials With Extra Tokyo Beef would be startled into wakefulness to see me - chopsticks in one hand, book in the other - as my grizzled maw broke forth with guffaws and irrepressible smiles.

Really, Anansi Boys may be the first thing I've read fro
Qiana
Jul 24, 2016 Qiana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I agree with many of the reviewers who praise this fun and inventive novel, but I am especially fascinated by how Gaiman represents race in Anansi Boys. He chooses not to explicitly identify that his globe-trotting main characters are black until at least p. 32 (if I'm mistaken, somebody please let me know) and only then as a point-of-fact that is secondary to their status as gods. It is true that anyone who has read American Gods or heard traditional African folktales will have met Anansi befor ...more
J.G. Keely
I've come to recognize that one of the main reasons I enjoyed this book so much was that I listened to the audiobook, performed by comedian Lenny Henry, whose background as a Brit of Caribbean descent made him the perfect choice to bring the characters to life. A lot of audiobooks aren't very good, but this one way great, and really brings out the fact that Anansi stories are meant to be heard.

It's recognizable Gaiman stuff, with the fish-out-of-water narrator in a modern fantasy world, with the
Patrick
Apr 22, 2010 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the few Gaiman books that I only gush mildly about, as opposed to gushing enthusiastically.

It's a solid book, and it does all the things that makes Gaiman's books great. It's got humor, myth, gravitas, cleverness.... But it simply didn't impress me as much as Neverwhere, Stardust, American Gods, or Coriline.

I'm willing to admit that the only reason I don't rank this book as 5 stars is because I'm comparing it to his other books, which are profound and perfect. That's probably unfair of
Amanda
Jun 11, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog
A Digression and a Review:

When I was a child who was much too prone to being serious for her own good, there was a catalpa tree in our backyard. Now, if you don't know what a catalpa tree is, it's worth a Google. Catalpas are beautiful and exotic, with giant leaves we used as "plates" to have fairy-like meals of mulberry and honeysuckle (with mimosa blossoms as a bit of garnish), giant bean pods that hung down like sylvan fingers ready to ensnare an unsuspecting child, white orchid-like flowers
Lyn
Nov 26, 2016 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman blends the best attributes of Gaiman’s extraordinary talent: excellent writing, original storytelling, mythic elements, and confidence.

A central theme in the narrative is about confidence and that is also how Gaiman tells the tale, his writing exudes confidence, he writes with a virtuoso’s swagger. Not really taking off where American Gods left off, but neither does it depart from Gaiman’s myth and legends foundations, Anansi Boys sings the song of Fat Charlie, Mr. Na
Jason Koivu
Anansi Boys is like a rollercoaster without the loops, very few twists and one that keeps the speed to a minimum. You strap yourself in, ready for excitement that never materializes. My god, I've never felt more luke warm towards a book in my life.

The mildly interesting story is of a somewhat relatable modern day slacker coming to grips with his father's and brother's overwhelming personalities as well as a fantasy world he didn't know existed. I'm tired of stories with modern day slackers brin
StoryTellerShannon
ANANSI BOYS (hereinafter AB) is the archetype tale of the hero's quest but in place of the typical warrior hero is a fool, and, oh, it happens to take place in our days and there is the wonder of something magical yet not totally seen.

Our fool of a hero is Fat Charlie. He used to be chubby as a kid but now he's in good enough shape yet everyone remembers him as Fat Charlie so the name sticks, much to his chagrin, and, it's all the fault of his father.

Wait, did I tell you his father is a trickste
Brad
Sep 27, 2010 Brad rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I love Neil Gaiman's Sandman so much that I am desperate to love the rest of his work, but I can't do much more than like it because it's mostly only okay.

He deals with all the stuff I love -- mythology, the occult, death, dreams, the urban fantastic -- but he's too tongue-in-cheek. When I read one of his novels, I feel like I'm reading the Nick Hornby of fantasy. Too clever, too hip and too cool for his own good.

It's not that I don't like his prose work. I do. And I even love some of it (like W
Maggie Stiefvater
Oct 10, 2011 Maggie Stiefvater rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
I kept intending to write a proper review/ recommendation of ANANSI BOYS, which I read while I was in Australia, but for some reason, every time I sat down to write it, all that came out were words in one syllables, which makes for a lousy book review. Sample copy of my early blog posts about ANANSI BOYS:

This book is good.
This book is fast.
This book is fun.
This book is what it says it is.
Which is fun.
This book is a good, fast, fun read.

I'm just not sure it's going to get any better than that. I
Madeline
Dec 20, 2010 Madeline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's remarkable, really, how long I was permitted to exist without reading Neil Gaiman. In retrospect, I suppose it's a good thing that I didn't read any of his books until college - had I been exposed to his work in high school, the result would have been a near-obsession filled with pages of awful fanfiction and an emotional meltdown when I learned that Mr. Gaiman is happily married.

But this didn't happen, thankfully. My first Neil Gaiman book was American Gods, and when my roommate (a much m
Stephen
4.0 to 4.5 stars. Another superb story by one of my favorite authors. While not a sequel to his superb American Gods, it shares the title character with that book along with some references to his adventures in that story. While those references add to the richness of the tale, there is no necessity of reading American God first (except for the obvious one that it is one of the best books ever).

Anyway, this story center around Charles "Fat Charlie" Nancy, a timid, passive man from London whose
Kate
May 23, 2007 Kate rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-fi fans, Gaiman newbies
I'm not sure what I was expecting. I had quite a bit of knowledge about the Anansi stories going in (my dad, a college prof, was also a professional storyteller while I was growing up, and the Anasi stories were part of his routine) -- perhaps someone who was meeting Anansi for the first time via Gaiman would feel differently. Though multi-layered, it was light enough to feel deceptively simple, yet I felt as though it lacked... something.

Notes I made while reading (I read this for a Book Club)
Emory Russo
Jun 24, 2011 Emory Russo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Mr. Gaiman has the same problem as Terry Pratchet. He can present the material, but he can't make me care. It's not a good sign when you're halfway through a book and you realize that if you put down the book and walked away right then and there, and never found out how the book ended, you wouldn't care. I don't care whether things work out between him and Rosie. I don't care if his dad is still alive or not. I don't care if he and his brother ever make up. I wouldn't care if the author ended th ...more
Fabian
Jan 11, 2017 Fabian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delight! It's got that outrageous Freaky Friday/Prince and the Pauper narrative; Britishisms a-la Evelyn Waugh; and a peck of Douglas Adams's brand of whimsy (this is infinitely better than Hitchhiker's Guide, & much better than the author's own Stardust AND Neverwhere). It's adorably Beetlejuician! What's not to like?!
Klodovik2
Jan 18, 2016 Klodovik2 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Iaako se vodi kao nastavak Američkih bogova ova knjiga je sve osim toga. S Bogovima dijeli jednog sporednog lika (Anasija) i svjet u kojem se odvija radnja.
Negdi sam pročitao da je Gaiman Anasijeve dečke počeo pisati prine Američkih Bogova ali da je njih prije dovršio. To se apsolutno vidi u stilu kojim su te knjige pisane. Dok su Bogovi mračniji i više podsjećaju na mitove Anasijevi dečki su, poput prijašnjih Gaimanovih djela, bajka. Lijepo osmišljena i ispričana bajka koja te drži priljepljen
Donna
Mar 29, 2016 Donna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I should have known better than to try another book by Gaiman after too many disappointments from him in the past. But I've read just enough good work by him to keep me coming back, hoping to strike gold again. Unfortunately, all I found here was fool's gold. Maybe that sounds harsh, considering the story was very imaginative, rich in details stemming from a myth originating in an African folktale. But here's why I think this book glitters only on the surface.

The character from the abo
Orbi Alter
Sep 27, 2016 Orbi Alter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"U svakom zivotu", zapoceo je, "mora pasti pokoja kap kise. Casa meda iste casu zuci."
"Gdje ima smijeha," pridometnuo je Spider, "bude i placa."
:D
Ma svi razgovori Grahama i Spidera u poslovicama su uzivancija...
Za razliku od podosta ozbiljnih Bogova (iako su ona slavenska bozanstva isto za umrijet od smijeha), Decki su bas u sasavom tonu s naivnim zapletom koji zapravo i nije u fokusu. Vise do izrazaja mi dolazi taj prekrasni stil, to me okupira da ne stignem misliti na nista drugo! Gaiman me
Kirstine
To be quite honest with you, I didn't particularly like the first third of this book. It's got nothing to do with the way it's written (Neil Gaiman is as funny and imaginative as ever), it was something else. The things is, I'm a sucker for sibling relationships and I was pleasantly surprised to find one in this book. But Spider and Fat Charlie spend the first half of this book arguing and generally making each others lives hell and it just made me uncomfortable. There were other things too, lik ...more
Kevin Xu
Jun 06, 2016 Kevin Xu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
a great follow up to American Gods
Sep 05, 2007 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
Some people might prefer American Gods, with that epic tone, but I prefer Anansi Boys, and not just because it's entertaining and lighthearted, but because it seems to have been pulled off much more smoothly. Finally, Gaiman is writing about someone more like himself than Shadow was- a person who lives in England having adventures in America. Though Fat Charlie is American by origin, he's very British, and I guess that just made it easier for Gaiman because he took it and ran with it and everyth ...more
SuperHeroQwimm
Oct 04, 2015 SuperHeroQwimm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again Gaiman has left me feeling unsure of whatever it is that I just read. He always does this. It's always good, but I would never be able to explain it. I was also confused for a very long time waiting for it to connect with American Gods in some way other than both of them having gods. Maybe it did and it's just been so long I didn't recognize it. Eventually I just decided they didn't really have much to do with one another and moved along.
Can anyone explain the connection between the b
Mladen
Jan 08, 2016 Mladen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kao što napisah ranije tokom čitanja, knjiga mi je godinama stajala na polici. Valjda sam iz nekog razloga mislio da mi se neće dopasti. I baš sam pogrešio.
S jedne strane, neopravdano je skupljala prašinu.
S druge strane, drago mi je što sam je tek sada pročitao, jer me je podsetila kakav je Gejmen bio pre nego što je upao u mašinu za mlevenje priča u pare (Okean koji se pisan tako da, ako je moguće, bude adaptiran u film, ili nesrećna Trigger Warning, koja je, uz svega par izuzetaka, kao zbirk
Ksenia Anske
Jan 28, 2016 Ksenia Anske rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magic. A special kind of magic, the dark delicious sly kind of magic, where magic things come from places you won't expect, like old ladies' mutterings and crumpled feathers, where spiders are men and men are spiders and the old gods are animals and fight for the stories, and where Fat Charlie has stepped into it all simply because he got a little drunk, because his fiancé was late for dinner. Lesson: drink to see magic. Actually, no, it started earlier than that, but I won't tell you. This book ...more
YouKneeK
Sep 03, 2016 YouKneeK rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anansi Boys is loosely related to American Gods, but each book stands alone and tells an independent story. The main connection is that Anansi is one of the gods we meet in American Gods, often referred to as Mr. Nancy.

Anansi himself doesn’t really show up in Anansi Boys all that much, but he’s referred to a great deal and several stories are told about him. Our main character is Charlie, Anansi’s son, who is quite ordinary, shy, and easily intimidated. At the beginning of the book, we read abo
Mark
Aug 24, 2015 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of fantasy
I had this 1st edition hardcover novel lying about for some time and only after recently building some new bookshelves I discovered books I had bought but forgotten about.
Having read this book, which was not a strain at all because Gaimans prose makes you have a fairly easy read, I found that my giving this novel to my youngest daughter in Dutch something I should have waited with. She loved the story about star who fell to earth but was clearly to young for a tale this complex. Meaning that thi
Brownbetty
May 16, 2008 Brownbetty marked it as abandoned-unfinished  ·  review of another edition
It is time to admit I am not going to finish this book. It sat next to my bed with the spine cracked open to chapter two for I don't know how many months without my even touching it. The reason why is very simple: I cannot stand the protagonist, Fat Charlie. He is an utter drip. He's winging, and useless, and sort of ill-willed about it.

I got far enough in to meet the second major character, Spider, who is incredibly obnoxious , at which point I put the book down for however many months it's bee
Lawyer
Contrary to some critics who take themselves quite seriously who thumbed their noses at "Anansi Boys," I, who do not take my self too seriously, loved it. Is it as good a novel as "American Gods?" Well, yes it is. However, it is a different kind of tale. You will not find the darkness layered on so thickly in "American Gods" in this tale. Nor do I think that Gaiman intended the reader to find the same level of seriousness in what Gaiman calls his follow up "adult" novel to "American Gods." Gaima ...more
Bark's Book Nonsense
Fat Charlie was dubbed so by his dad when just a chubby child. Unfortunately even though he shed the pounds the name stuck. Many years later Fat Charlie is living an unremarkable life, with a crappy job and a girlfriend who insists on making him "wait until marriage". When Charlie's dad dies he learns some amazingly unbelievable things and his boring life is forever changed.

This one has a lot of wit and was just offbeat enough to hold my attention. Charlie is an every-guy sort of character who i
Mike (the Paladin)
It seems that at times an author has an idea and then works it from many different points of view. Sometimes this works sometimes not. In this case it seems to have worked. Neil Gaiman at some point came up with the idea of "old gods" or "god beings" or possibly "godlike beings". I wasn't really bowled over by American Gods, nor for that matter by the follow up novella he wrote based on it later. This however is an excellent read.

We follow "Fat Charlie" (you see Anansi, Charlie's father was a "g
Proud Readers of ...: Anansi Boys Week 2: Chapters 5 - 7 17 14 Jan 16, 2017 04:03PM
Proud Readers of ...: Week of Jan 1: Chapter 1 - 4 28 31 Jan 07, 2017 08:17PM
Around the Year i...: Anansi Boys, by Neil Gaiman 5 35 Sep 13, 2016 08:26PM
Endicott Mythic F...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Anansi Boys - Who's Reading / Discussion 5 11 Jul 02, 2016 11:20PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please update details 3 13 Mar 13, 2016 01:47PM
The Genre Explorers: BOTM - Anansi Boys 10 10 Mar 28, 2015 04:37PM
  • Monstrous Regiment (Discworld, #31; Industrial Revolution, #3)
  • Tapping the Dream Tree (Newford, #9)
  • Un Lun Dun
  • Earthquake Weather (Fault Lines, #3)
  • In the Cities of Coin and Spice (The Orphan's Tales, #2)
  • The Innkeeper's Song
  • The Tough Guide to Fantasyland

American Gods (2 books)
  • American Gods (American Gods, #1)

53 trivia questions
4 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Each person who ever was or is or will be has a song. It isn't a song that anybody else wrote. It has its own melody, it has its own words. Very few people get to sing their song. Most of us fear that we cannot do it justice with our voices, or that our words are too foolish or too honest, or too odd. So people live their song instead.” 1292 likes
“Everybody going to be dead one day, just give them time.” 624 likes