Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2)

Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander #2)

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  94,271 ratings  ·  5,090 reviews
BONUS: This edition contains an excerpt from Diana Gabaldon's Voyager.

From the author of Outlander... a magnificent epic that once again sweeps us back in time to the drama and passion of 18th-century Scotland...

For twenty years Claire Randall has kept her secrets. But now she is returning with her grown daughter to Scotland's majestic mist-shrouded hills. Here Claire pl...more
Published October 26th 2004 by Dell (first published July 1st 1992)

Kate
Dec 04, 2013 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who wouldn't ever read a romance novel, history buffs
Gabaldon's sex-ridden, hugely researched, academically adventurous, time travel/sci-fi meets historical romance novels qualify as trash novels for lit nerds -- they're absolutely a guilty pleasure. From clan warfare to herbal medicine to genealogy to British history to WWII, the books are packed with information (what little Gaelic I know started with these books). Bonus: the heroine gets to have many, many rolls in the hay with a handsome hard-bodied Highlander. Can't really go wrong.

The books...more
Stephanie
*This review will be a little spoily, read it at your own risk*

“Ok, so I set the date on 2012….and set it for Kansas City Kansas…..Kemper’s deck. I think all I have to do is reverse the directions on Google maps on the laptop. Uh…..turn the key. Yay, it works.”

“Or I thought so, Toto I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore (had to do it!).”

“Hello Stephanie. Toto……I love the Wizard of Oz.”

“Aaaaack! Claire Beachum Randel Fraser! You just scared the piss out of me. Don’t sneak up on a person sitting...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Dec 17, 2008 Shannon (Giraffe Days) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shannon (Giraffe Days) by: Kiwiria
Whitelady3
Having enjoyed the first volume of this series, I was expecting something good of this one, so I'm a bit sad it didn't match my expectations.

First, because in the first and final parts, the point of view jumps around from first person (Claire) to third person, due to the fact that we follow another character and Claire isn't always there. The problem is that this character does almost nothing but notice how Claire is so beautiful and wonderful... Second, the book drags a bit in some parts. Third...more
Julianna
Mar 30, 2009 Julianna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone Who Enjoys Historical Fiction or Historical and/or Time Travel Romance
Reviewed for THC Reviews
Dragonfly in Amber is no ordinary romance novel. In fact, in spite of its romance and paranormal elements, it is far more of a historical novel than anything else in my opinion. This book basks the reader in lush descriptions of 18th century European history, from the political intrigue in the courts of King Louis XV of France, to the everyday life of a merchant, to the inner workings of hospitals of that time. Then it sweeps the reader along, back to the beautiful Scotti...more
Karen
SWEET BLEEDING JESUS!!! I KNEW IT!!!!!!! DAMNED BLOODY FUCKING CLIFFHANGERS!!!!! Sensational story!!!!

5 STARS ★★★★★

photo b42b74f5eb423a80c9a749166c595261.jpg

”We are bound, you and I, and nothing on this earth shall part me from you.”

What can I say? I am completely BLOWN AWAY by this series!!!! An amazing sequel to Outlander, this book brings Claire and Jamie through a tumultuous quest to try and change history in order to save Scotland from a pointless but inevitable war that will eventually result in the deaths of thousands of High...more
Lisbeth Solberg
"Ugh, what a dreadful cover. I'm supposed to have this read by Sunday afternoon."

Okay, Wendy's book group will meet tomorrow to discuss book three in the Outlander series, but I just finished this second one, and man, it was a long haul, and I don't just mean the length.

What didn't work for me: the self-satisfied tone of the author's voice behind her main character, repetitive phrases (mouths always "twitching" rather than almost smiling), excessive detail without sensory or emotional power, too...more
Duchess Nicole
"For I had come back, and I dreamed once more, in the cool air of the Highlands. And the choice of my dream still echoed through ears and heart, repeated with the sound of Brianna's sleeping breath."

For those of you who haven't read Outlander, I'd think any reviews for books further in the series would be spoiler-ish...mine included.

I'm sitting here dumbfounded, having just finished Dragonfly in Amber. I'm thinking about what to say in a review and trying to think back to the beginning of the...more
Mo

For twenty years Claire Randall has kept her secrets. But now she is returning with her grown daughter to Scotland’s majestic mist-shrouded hills. Here Claire plans to reveal a truth as stunning as the events that gave it birth: about the mystery of an ancient circle of standing stones ... about a love that transcends the boundaries of time ... and about James Fraser, a Scottish warrior whose gallantry once drew a young Claire from the security of her century to the dangers of his....

I will say...more
Tatiana
Sep 29, 2009 Tatiana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Outlander fans
"Drangonfly in Amber" starts with Claire coming back to 70s Scotland after the death of her husband Frank. You don't have to be a genius to realize right away that something had gone really wrong between Claire and Jamie in the 18th century. So I started the book a little sad knowing that I was surely headed for a heartbreak.

The book however soon goes back to Jamie and Claire through Claire's memories. We meet them where the 1st book left off - on the way to France to attempt to stop Charles Stu...more
CaliGirlRae
Mar 12, 2009 CaliGirlRae rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical romance and fiction readers, Fans of the first book, anyone who wants a fabulous story!
Recommended to CaliGirlRae by: Stephanie McGrath
I'm only on book 2 and this series just continues to surpass my expectations and interest. What a ride! Dragonfly in Amber is the second in the Outlander series and still kickin' some literary tail. There's a lot of questions and things that I wished had happened in Outlander. Not necessarily because the story left that open per se but mainly because of what the characters went through, I wanted to see the continuation of the story (and maybe a lil payback for what our hero suffered). In that se...more
Jasmin
"Dragonfly in Amber" is a lusciously perfect way to continue Outlander. It couldn't happen any other way. It has to be this way. It is absolutely perfect in every way possible in my eyes, and I love it with sheer perfection.

Dragonfly in Amber, the second book of the Outlander series, continues with another amazing journey (or rather retelling) of Claire Randall/Fraser beyond time. But this time, Claire is back in her own time, year 1968, with daughter Brianna, already a twenty year old lass. Com...more
Wendy
This book was great after you get through quite a slow part, towards the middle. But once you get over the hurdle, wow! Fabulous ending and definitely more Jamie in this one!

'And here I thought I married you because ye had a fair face and fine fat arse. To think you've a brain as well!'

That's our loveable Jamie for you.
Katrina Passick Lumsden
OK, so admittedly, it took me a really long time to finish this book, and yes, I have some problems with it.

While it started off great (mostly, I think, due to the fact that I was still coming down off the high caused by the first book), the story quickly devolved into a mess of boring details and gut-wrenching melodrama. I first became stuck somewhere around 70%, I believe. The story was just dragging. I managed, with far more time than is usually necessary for me, to make it to the 83% mark b...more
Emily May
My feelings toward Diana Gabaldon are very love/hate. She is, on the one hand, one of the greatest writers I have ever come across. I want to shake her hand for being so carefully detailed and doing what must have been an unbelievable amount of research to put together her 7 (currently) gigantic novels of this series. I love her characters, how the events are all interwoven with true historical happenings... she is just generally a literary genius when it comes to historical fiction.

But... serio...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**re-read for the third time**

Third time around thoughts: Not as strong as the first for me. I think because I've read it so many times, I got a little bored with some of the politics. But still incredibly romantic and special.
Crystal Starr Light
“For if you feel for me as I do for you - then I am asking you to tear out your heart and live without it.”

Twenty-odd years after Outlander, Claire Randall and her daughter, Brianna, return to the Scottish Highlands. Claire goes to a local historian, Roger, to find out what happened to the men she knew from her time in the 1740’s—and to learn what happened to beloved Jaime Frasier.

I just finished this audiobook, and I’m still scraping myself off the floor. This was a really good book—really lon...more
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Mar 23, 2012 Anna (Bobs Her Hair) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction
Grade: A or 4.5 stars

Wow! This was so much better than Outlander, which I will now admit I found a little boring at times. (Yes, I said "boring"!)

The beginning of Dragonfly in Amber was a little slow, but the story was always in constant forward motion. Jamie has grown up from the last book. He no longer felt like a young man. I loved Claire. The issues I had with her characterization was absent in this book. Her pain, anger, bitterness, hope, and love are relayed beautifully.

Diana Gabaldon ca...more
Jonetta
The setup
When Outlander ended, Jamie and Claire were in Paris following his escape from Wentworth prison. This story opens back in the 20th century, 20 years later. Claire has a daughter, Brianna, who is unaware of her mother's travels in 18th century Scotland. Claire is seeking information and has returned to Scotland for insight and answers.

The issues
Claire's past affects Brianna's future. With Frank Randall's recent passing, she's free to not only share what happened to her 20 years ago but...more
Christy
Mar 17, 2008 Christy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction readers, romance readers, action-adventure readers
✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽
This book starts out with Claire being back in her current time plus twenty years....W.T.H?? I can't even begin to tell you the emotions I was feeling at that. You just KNOW, know things are not going to go good but In. No. Way. can you be prepared. I can't recall when I've ever cried so hard but I'm getting ahead of myself.

We start off with Claire taking her daughter, Brianna, back to Scotland after the death of Frank. Claire wants to tell Bree about her real dad and find out what happened to...more
Kim  *Mo Chridhe*
As with any series that I plan to continue, I stop reading the blurb for the next book after I'm done with book one. And since I dived in the dark with this one, the jaw-drop happened fairly early. Within a few pages I was filled with thoughts of "who-the-hell-is-Roger" to "why-is-Claire-in-the-present" to "BRIANNA-WHAT" and the urgency to find out what happened "in-between." Serves me right for asking for more drama.

I feel like I'm betraying Jamie and Claire by not giving this 5 stars. While m...more
Holly
God help me. I must hate myself.
*****
*Just got to the part with the horse breeding. Holy crap it *is* Clan of the Cavebear (or rather, Valley of Horses) only with Scotsmen not cavemen.
****
Also, rather than spankings, there are repeated requests from Jamie to Claire that she kill him. Not sure if this is any better.
****
Okay. Done. On to the next one. Bizarrely addictive. Now with 1/3 less spankings!
Shannon
First of all. Amazon, fix your stuff. This book as listed as 148 pages, when in reality it is well over 700...

I had a much easier time getting through this book, than I did the first 30% of the first book. However, this book did have a few moments where I was a little bored, it didn't have all the action that the first book did for the first few chapters, but when it started.. It started

Jack Randall needs to die.. Like a lot. He is a horrible horrible man, and he popped up in this book everywher...more
Jane
Where I got the book: audiobook from Audible.com.

I've been reading the Outlander series on and off over the years, but I'd gotten to a point where I simply couldn't remember who was who any more and needed an audio refresher course. With seven stonking great books to wade through I've got plenty of listening material coming to me, and I was pretty sure I'd left one out somehow (it's Voyager, my current listen, I'm almost certain).

Not nearly as episodic as some of the later books have become, Dr...more
Nicole
Jun 25, 2007 Nicole rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who love good historical fiction
The Outlander series is definitely one of my most recommencded series of books. I might even love these books more than Harry Potter - and that's saying something.

The Outlander books are set in the 1700s. They start off in Scotland, but later travel to Paris, Jamaica and the American Colonies.

Claire and Jamie, the book's two main characters are fantastic. They're deep, smart and action-oriented, yet very real. As their relationship evolves over the series of books, it evolves realistically. They...more
Mistress
“I will find you," he whispered in my ear. "I promise. If I must endure two hundred years of purgatory, two hundred years without you - then that is my punishment, which I have earned for my crimes. For I have lied, and killed, and stolen; betrayed and broken trust. But there is the one thing that shall lie in the balance. When I shall stand before God, I shall have one thing to say, to weigh against the rest."

His voice dropped, nearly to a whisper, and his arms tightened around me.

Lord, ye gave...more
Megan Green
I had heard the beginning of this one was rather slow. And I agree. The story line doesn't really take off until about the 30% mark. But once it does, man, what a book! The ending of part 6 had me in tears. And the very last line gave me chills. And Jamie **swoons**
Natalie
★★★ ! Kudos to Diana Gabaldon for managing a heart stopping plot twist that shattered me right in the prolouge! Not many authors can create twists that shocks me to the core but the prolouge in DRAGONFLY IN AMBER certainly did. I never read blurbs so the beginning in this book shocked the hell out of me. I think my exact thought was something like " what the f*ng hell??!!!!!!!" The HEA we so desperately want for our beloved Jamie and Claire seem to have vanished into thin air and crack, THAT was...more
Joana

***5 Timeless and mesmerizing stars***

“Blood of my Blood," he whispered, "and bone of my bone. You carry me within ye, Claire, and ye canna leave me now, no matter what happens, You are mine, always, if ye will it or no, if ye want me or nay. Mine, and I wilna let ye go.”

And so the Dragonfly in Amber picks up the adventures of our beloved couple...

description

And well,I just love Jamie and Claire <33

Anyway, back to the story shall we?

**some minor spoilers of the 1st book and the beginning of the 2nd bo...more
Someone let me know 47 207 Jul 03, 2014 02:27PM
Outlander Series: Dragonfly in Amber 212 367 Jun 07, 2014 10:12PM
Joyce's Reading Log: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon 1 2 May 17, 2014 01:15PM
Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander #2) BR 257 117 Apr 23, 2014 04:29PM
  • Fire Along the Sky (Wilderness, #4)
  • The Blood of Roses (Highlands, #2)
  • Highlander's Curse (Daughters of the Glen, #8)
  • The Summer Garden (The Bronze Horseman, #3)
  • Falls the Shadow  (Welsh Princes, #2)
  • The Winter Rose (The Tea Rose, #2)
  • The Winter Sea (Slains, #1)
  • Defiant (MacKinnon's Rangers, #3)
  • Conquered by a Highlander (Children of the Mist, #4)
  • The Viper (Highland Guard, #4)
  • Embrace the Highland Warrior (Connor Clan, #2)
  • Kiss of the Highlander (Highlander, #4)
  • The Very Thought of You (MacLeod, #2)
Diana Jean Gabaldon Watkins grew up in Flagstaff, Arizona and is of Mexican-American and English descent. She has earned three degrees: a B.S. in Zoology, a M.S. in Marine Biology, and a Ph.D in Ecology.

She currently lives in Scottsdale, Arizona .
More about Diana Gabaldon...
Outlander (Outlander, #1) Voyager (Outlander, #3) Drums of Autumn (Outlander, #4) The Fiery Cross (Outlander, #5) A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander, #6)

“I stood still, vision blurring, and in that moment, I heard my heart break. It was a small, clean sound, like the snapping of a flower's stem.” 2706 likes

His voice dropped, nearly to a whisper, and his arms tightened around me.

Lord, ye gave me a rare woman, and God! I loved her well.”
711 likes