Start by marking “Hideaway Home” as Want to Read:
Hideaway Home

Hideaway Home (Hideaway #10)

1940s. Soldier Red Meyers had looked forward to the day he could return to Hideaway, Missouri, and to his sweetheart, Bertie Moennig. But his dreams were shattered when he was wounded in the last stages of World War II in Europe. Bertie was beautiful inside and out--she deserved a whole man. Red was determined to keep his distance.

But a tragedy on the home front brought th
Published July 1st 2008 by Steeple Hill Love Inspired Suspense (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Hideaway Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hideaway Home

Lynn Spencer
For the multi-blog TBR Challenge, our theme of the month was series catch up. Now, I have an embarrassment of riches on this one because I tend to be pretty lackadaisical about finishing up entire series of books. Since I have so many books to choose from, I took forever to pick out a book to read. In the end, I happened across Hannah Alexander’s 2008 release, Hideaway Home and decided to give it a whirl. I’ve enjoyed several of the Hideaway books published for Love Inspired’s contemporary sus ...more
Megan
Oct 19, 2010 Megan rated it it was ok
Childhood friends separated during WWII return home to find conflict seeping through their quiet Ozarks town, as well as through their own relationship. I liked both of the main characters and I enjoyed the very first part of the book, with the two of them separated, thinking of each other, and reading their letters. That they would have to live with how the war changed them, that was pretty compelling. However, the suspense plot was unengaging and not very strongly or clearly developed. Reading ...more
Barbara
I enjoyed this book to a certain extent, and I'm glad I read it, but there were parts where it seemed like not much was happening. The details from history that the author put in were nice and helped set the scene, and I enjoyed the two main characters, Red and Bertie.
Shelley
May 09, 2009 Shelley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kristine
3.5 stars, really. It was an interesting set up for a romance novel...childhood friends, high school sweethearts, separated by the war for three years, sure, but he came back home to the Ozarks and she was in California. Fully half the book had them separated and thinking back on their times together and rereading war letters. Then there was a mystery that each was trying to solve. There wasn't actually much time for romance, honestly. They ran parallel to each other more than coming together. I ...more
Bronwyn Rykiert
Red Meyer has come home from the war in Italy a wounded and broken man and he decides that he is not good enough for his sweetheart Bertie Moennig. Bertie has other ideas and when her father dies and Red tells her not to come home to Hideaway, Missouri she does not listen to him. Her father has died under mysterious circumstances and needs to find out why.

This is the last book of a series and I think I missed out by not reading them in order. This book was okay but it does not make me want to re
Alisha
Jan 08, 2015 Alisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.8
Shawn
Oct 26, 2012 Shawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I loved the characters right off the bat, Bertie and Red just grabbed my heart. I loved the mingling of history and mystery and romance. The author did a wonderful job of pulling you in and trying to figure out what was going on and even had me convinced it was someone else for a while and did all of this while keeping it clean and showing how God was working in these characters lives.
Loved it....going back now to read the whole series!
Nike Chillemi
May 13, 2010 Nike Chillemi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hideaway Home plunks the reader down smack in the middle of World War II America where Bertie (Roberta) Moenning, is being trained as a machinist in the Hughes aircraft factory in California that's putting out military equipment for the war effort. The book is a mystery with an underlying theme of the distrust and hatered German Ameicans faced during the war.
Michelle
Jan 23, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The conclusion of the Hideaway series takes us back to the beginning, telling the love story of Bertie and Red during WWII. I liked how it changed time period from the rest of the series, making it a completely different story, yet with familiar characters. The suspense kept me guessing, and I was completely surprised by how things turned out.
Beth
Jul 18, 2012 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book was okay. The plot was slow, and the authors filled the gaps with lots of repetitive details. How many times did we have to read that Arielle Potts doesn't quite fit in the town of Hideaway? There was somewhat of a surprise twist at the end, at least.
Ralynn
Mar 22, 2011 Ralynn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
it sounded like a good story, but was soooo slow and boring, no drama, no suspense, nothing to keep you wanting to read more. very disappointed with this book. giving it one star is being really nice.
Cheryl-Lynn
This wasn't a bad book it was just "okay." Pretty predictable and just sort of...boring.
Rebecca "Rebaka" Lewis
Beautiful end to a wonderful series by a great author
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2016
Sylvia
Sylvia marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
loisa
loisa added it
Sep 04, 2016
Melissa Todt
Melissa Todt marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Lynette
Lynette rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
Tammy Goldthorpe
Tammy Goldthorpe marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Angela Bender
Angela Bender marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Brittney
Brittney marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Kira
Kira marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Sandra Myers
Sandra Myers marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
McKenzie Fairman
McKenzie Fairman marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Debbie
Debbie rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2016
Valerie Wyse
Valerie Wyse marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Sarah Mavis
Sarah Mavis marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Kathy
Kathy added it
Apr 21, 2016
  • Her Healing Ways (Gabriel Sisters, #3)
  • The Maverick Preacher  (The Women of Swan's Nest, #1)
  • Treasure Creek Dad (Alaskan Bride Rush,  #2)
  • Hannah's Beau (Charity House, #2)
  • The Briton
  • The Substitute Bride
  • Prairie Courtship
  • Seaside Cinderella (Nantucket Island, #1)
  • The Journey Home (Depression Series, #2)
  • A Mommy in Mind
  • Redeeming Gabriel
  • The Doctor Takes a Wife (Brides of Simpson Creek, #2)
  • Masked by Moonlight
  • Dangerous Melody (Treasure Seekers #2)
  • Running for Cover (Heroes for Hire, #1)
  • Spring Creek Bride
  • The Aristocrat's Lady
  • The Preacher's Wife
HANNAH ALEXANDER is the pen name for the husband-and-wife writing team of Mel and Cheryl Hodde, who began collaborating on their first blind date. Cheryl is the wordsmith, and Mel is the medical expert who helps her with the medical plotlines and edits everything she writes.
More about Hannah Alexander...

Hideaway (10 books)
  • Hideaway (Hideaway #1)
  • Safe Haven (Hideaway #2)
  • Last Resort (Hideaway #3)
  • Note of Peril (Hideaway #4)
  • Fair Warning (Hideaway, #5)
  • Under Suspicion (Hideaway, #6)
  • Grave Risk (Hideaway, #7) (Steeple Hill Cafe)
  • Death Benefits (Hideaway, #8)
  • Double Blind (Hideaway, #9)