Start by marking “The Norton Anthology of English Literature: The Major Authors” as Want to Read:
The Norton Anthology of English Literature: The Major Authors

The Norton Anthology of English Literature: The Major Authors

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  519 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Beginning with Seamus Heaney's brilliant new translation of Beowulf, and continuing through ten centuries of remarkable literature to the contemporary works of Derek Walcott, J. M. Coetzee, Nadine Gordimer, and Salman Rushdie, the new Major Authors edition is a library between two covers -- an indispensable addition to the family bookshelf.
Paperback, 7th, 2870 pages
Published December 28th 2000 by W.W. Norton & Co Inc. (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about The Norton Anthology of English Literature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Norton Anthology of English Literature

Todd
Apr 25, 2014 Todd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chaucer: Canterbury Tales

How disappointing; I guess I should have paid more attention to the table of contents. It had the Prologue, Retraction, and 4 1/2 of the 22 tales. The book didn't indicate that it was only a selection, leaving me wondering if anything was redacted from the four tales as it stands. It was claimed that spelling was changed to make Chaucer's Middle English more readable; I went with this work over a "translation" to modern English I have on the shelf because Chaucer is a po
Brian O'neal
Mar 21, 2015 Brian O'neal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Had to read it in high school. Times I have re-read it since: 4. Not all of it, mind you, but a pretty large chunk of it. Let's face it...you are not going to get this many authors and works + erudite historical context and literary analysis for less than a tenth of the price anywhere else. As an added bonus, almost any random page is sufficient to remind you that most of our most popular authors are wealthy storytellers who couldn't hope to climb the peaks of literary greatness if a helicopter ...more
matt
This is one of those big, clunky things you find in your parent's castaway bookshelf when you're 15 and, if you're impetuous enough, you start to get deeper and deeper into until you're up over your head in some of the most powerful works ever known to man.

This is one of the treetrunk books of my life- (most) of the branches come out from this root.

The footnotes and explanatory stuff pretty much made everything come alive for me, whetting my appetite for going out and getting my hands on the Ro
Sachin
Jun 28, 2007 Sachin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Fine selection with great introductions to the periods and the major authors!
Amanda Brass
Nov 28, 2007 Amanda Brass rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any lit lovers
suberb selection of short stories, essays, and poetry.
Alison Whiteman
Feb 25, 2015 Alison Whiteman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I still love to re-read sections of this book.
Phillip
Jul 28, 2011 Phillip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Norton editors are to be both commended and lamented. In these kinds of anthologies--English, American, World, etc.--they provide a really handy resource for examining vast amounts of literature. However, they also construct stories, genres, and sets of ideologies that may or may not have ever occurred to the authors at the times. For instance, Blake might not have considered his poetry to have any kinship at all with Keats, Coleridge, Byron, etc. (or vice versa), yet these are all "Romantic ...more
Reza Muhamad
for chapter 1,first i want to discuss about literature so...of course this book will help me to do my task.
Tayler K
Keats 11/24-11/29
Tennyson, Browning, Arnold, & Rossetti 11/29-12/1
Jaclyn
Sep 05, 2015 Jaclyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love reading and history, this is a perfect way to combine the two. This huge anthology was used in my two Analysis of English Literature courses, and it goes from Beowulf to the works of Rushdie. There's a wide range of genre works, and to be honest this changed my view on the varying types of written media. Not only do you see the evolution of writing, but you get exposed to some of the great masterpieces of English literature in existence. A very good read, even if only to open your ey ...more
May 27, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've hardly read the whole anthology, only bits and pieces here and there, assigned by teachers. While it's undoubtedly packed with classic works as well as biographies and background stories, it's very difficult to read; the print is extremely small and the pages so thin that you can see the text on the other side of the sheet. Not a recommended read for tired eyes...
Anne
Feb 02, 2010 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, own-this
A more constrained (and therefore more limited) collection than the full two volume Norton Anthology of English Literature, this was the second volume Denison asked me to purchase -- rather than selecting Volume 2 of the full anthology, so my bookshelf is forever bereft a copy of "Norton Anthology of English Literature, Fifth Edition, Volume 2". How sad.
Tiffany
This is, by far, the biggest tome I've slogged through from cover to cover. It was great to discover new authors and new works I otherwise might not have had the chance to read. But most of all, now I can say with absolute truthfulness that I have read this in its entirety.
Hannah
Nov 19, 2010 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not read the whole thing, of course, but in my spare time I like to read other things that we did not get to in class. I plan on reading the whole thing by the end of next year, but I doubt that that will happen!
Beth
Tissue paper pages. Heavy as a barbell. Tiny TINY text that you have to squint at. Dry intros to each author. And I thought British lit couldn't get any more boring...
Desiree Rico
Nov 02, 2015 Desiree Rico rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
had to read this for school and although it includes many staples I've read before it introduced me to Chaucer and others I hadn't been introduced to yet.
Shouvik Hore
Where is Shelley's Alastor and Epipsychidion?
Otherwise, a commendable Volume.
Randy Hulshizer
I still wonder who makes the decisions about who the "major authors" are.
Ashley
Apr 15, 2008 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
GRE review...mind-numbingly helpful
(I'm using the term "read" flexibly here.)
Nima
Jan 02, 2015 Nima rated it it was amazing
What can one say about this book ?!!!!!!
Tim Ralston
Jul 20, 2007 Tim Ralston rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
Obviously haven't read the whole thing...
Amy
Seventh Edition/Volume I
Loulua
Jan 17, 2009 Loulua rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite textbooks.
Zidane
Aug 03, 2013 Zidane rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
useless app nothing free
Mientje
Mientje rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Lisa Martin
Lisa Martin rated it it was ok
Jul 23, 2016
Lenee
Lenee marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Candra Krisch
Candra Krisch rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Jasmine Lo
Jasmine Lo marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Mariana
Mariana marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
  • The American Tradition in Literature
  • The Norton Anthology of American Literature, Shorter Version
  • The Story and Its Writer: An Introduction to Short Fiction, Compact Sixth Edition
  • The Norton Anthology of American Literature, Volume B: 1820-1865
  • Three Complete Novels: Howards End, A Room with a View, Where Angels Fear to Tread
  • The Bulwark
  • The Norton Shakespeare
  • The Norton Anthology Of Literature By Women: The Traditions In English
  • The Decay of Lying
  • Best Short Stories of Jack London
  • The Norton Anthology of Short Fiction
  • Literary Theory: An Anthology
  • The Longman Anthology of British Literature, Volume 2A: The Romantics and Their Contemporaries
  • Rabbit Novels: Rabbit, Run and Rabbit Redux
  • Byron's Poetry
  • The Critical Tradition: Classic Texts and Contemporary Trends
  • The Use and Abuse of Literature
  • The Riverside Milton
Meyer Howard Abrams is an American literary critic, known for works on Romanticism, in particular his book The Mirror and the Lamp. In a powerful contrast, Abrams shows that until the Romantics, literature was usually understood as a mirror, reflecting the real world, in some kind of mimesis; but for the Romantics, writing was more like a lamp: the light of the writer's inner soul spilled out to i ...more
More about M.H. Abrams...