Start by marking “Good Books, Good Times!” as Want to Read:

Good Books, Good Times!

Lee Bennet Hopkins, noted anthologist and educator, has collected a group of witty and whimsical poems that celebrate the joy of reading. Karla Kuskin, Jack Prelutsky, and Arnold Lobel are just a few of the acclaimed children's book authors whose poems are joined into this delightful ode to the world of words. Wonderfully wacky illustrations by Harvey Stevenson help make t ...more
Published January 26th 2000 by HarperCollins (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Good Books, Good Times!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Books, Good Times!

I quite liked Creatures and Elves, Fairies & Gnomes, two other collections by Lee Bennett Hopkins, so I assumed I'd enjoy Good Books, Good Times quite a bit! Especially considering how much I love reading. But I found the collection uninspiring -- there's a sort of generic way people talk about reading sometimes that makes me feel like perhaps they aren't really much of a reader. People tend to focus in on the idea that reading is about fantasy or meeting new people or finding yourself and a ...more
Addie Lauver
Nov 17, 2015 Addie Lauver rated it liked it
Hopkins, L. B. Good Books, Good Times! Harper Collins Publisher, 1990. 31 pg. Gr. K-3.
The title of this poetry book says it all! It is a book of poems in which someone or a few people are having a good time! It is a very happy book and it is good for children of a wide array of ages. Each poem has a different theme that is appropriate for all ages of readers and many are engaging enough to keep the students wanting more and excited about reading!

The poems in this book are good to use when teach
Harley Stine
Oct 19, 2014 Harley Stine rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
Good Books, Good Times is a book collection of silly, light, and carefree poems. The poems are about books or favorite places to read books like the beach, woods, or library. My favorite poem was "Give Me a Book" by Myra C. Livingston. The illustrations are very whimsical and colorful to match the tone of the poems. I really liked this book because it promotes a love of reading that I wish for all of my future students.

This book would work in a Preschool classroom all the way up to 2nd grade, m
Jun 29, 2013 Gigi rated it it was amazing
Anyone who loves books will love this collection.
Michael Schleicher
Oct 20, 2011 Michael Schleicher rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grades K-2
Good Books, Good Times!

Hopkins, L.B. Good Books, Good Times! Illus. by H. Stevenson. 1990. 32p. Trumpet.

Type of Book
Picture Book

Approximate Developmental/Grade Level
Grades K-2

Good Books, Good Times! is a collection of poems from various authors. Hopkins selected a variety of poems that focus around the common theme – grab a book and read!

• Grab a Book and Read!

Personal Response
Hopkin’s poem, “Good Books, Good Times!”, is a brilliant work of art that highlights m
Feb 01, 2012 Maeve rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eced-221
This book is a book of poems about reading books! As weird as it sounds this book was really good. This book is about reading and all of the wonders you can discover by getting lost on a warm day in a good book.
This book of poems does follow the criteria for poems. Almost every poems has rhyme and rhythm. Though they are short, they flow enough to give a good picture of what the author is trying to say about the good things of reading books. The illustrations give a goofy perspective of how the
Lindsey Dowler
Feb 26, 2015 Lindsey Dowler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This book is great! It takes kids into different places and situation where you can read. EVERYWHERE! At the beach, under the stairs, in the woods and so many more places. There are also several poems that talk about places reading takes you. These poems are a simple and short way to engage students to read and encourage them enter another world with a book!
Feb 28, 2016 Amy rated it it was amazing
I love this little paperback gem! It's another old poetry friend that I love to revisit often. The poem that I share most often from this little anthology ~ its namesake.
Katie Carlisle
I love the illustrations in this book! They really connect to the poems and help paint a picture in your head as you read.
Apr 26, 2015 Andrew rated it really liked it
A "good" book for emergent readers to practice fluency. Can easily be a classroom favorite.
Hannah Stachewicz
A great assortment of poems, easy for young students to read.
Oct 17, 2016 Alexis rated it liked it
A good variety of poems
Beverly Kennett
Mar 14, 2011 Beverly Kennett rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
This book is full of fun poems about books and reading. Several of the poems describe getting lost in stories, one is about the invention of poetry itself. I would share these poems with any elementary grade classroom wither just for the fun of sharing poems or for study. "Surprise," "On a Day in Summer" and especially the very short poem "And Then" would be great discussion starters for writing lessons. The colorful illustrations look like watercolors and are drawn in a cartoon style.
Mar 23, 2012 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely one of the better poetry collections that I've ever read. I was truly impressed with every piece selected in this book. Very well done. I like one of the poems so much, I think I'm going to have it painted on my wall of my library. Wonderful.
Gabriel Valdivias
Oct 16, 2012 Gabriel Valdivias rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book! It encourages children to read while sharing poems from different authors. It is aimed at students but i did have fun reading poems out of this book and encourage anyone that is interested to read it!
Dec 30, 2008 Shelby rated it it was amazing
um..... i dont really remember this book because i read it a long time ago but what i do remember about this book is that it was an amazing book and i would recommend this book to any one
A fun collection of reading related poems. Like most Bennett Hopkins compilations this is a very accessible book of poetry.
Hollee Young
Apr 28, 2015 Hollee Young rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I liked this book of poems. I think it would be a good book to use to introduce poems in a poetry lesson.
Diana Pettis
Jun 17, 2012 Diana Pettis rated it really liked it
poem book. Great vocabulary and interest for what students can do with books over the summer.
Katy Pitrucha
A collection of poems written by a variety of famous children’s book authors.
Jun 12, 2014 Carole rated it it was amazing
Poetry focusing on books and reading.
Nov 22, 2010 Lexy added it
mentor text
Brett Yoder
Brett Yoder marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2016
Aman Bhatia
Aman Bhatia rated it it was ok
Oct 09, 2016
Sara Cabrera
Sara Cabrera marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Ron Swanson
Ron Swanson marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Kerri Jamerson
Kerri Jamerson rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2016