Start by marking “State Secrets” as Want to Read:
State Secrets

State Secrets

David's job was to discover if Holly was exactly who she claimed to be . . . before the FBI indicted her for aiding and abetting a fugitive. Suddenly, Holly found herself challenged by a man like no other. But who was David--just a man interested in her cooking classes, or someone much more interested in her private affairs?
Published December 1st 1999 by Silhouette Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about State Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about State Secrets

Sep 15, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
I'm not sure why I keep reading books by the author, but I do. Evidently this is one of Miller's first books, originally published in 1984 and now it has been updated and re-released. On the inside cover of the updated edition there is a picture of the original book cover in all of its 80's cheesetastic glory.

The story is fine, although not very deep. The best thing about the book is too see where Miller missed an important update. For every reference to Osama Bin Laden and al Qaeda there are s
Cruth
Author: Linda Lael Miller
First published: 1985
Length: 2928 kindle locations
Setting: Contemporary. Spokane.
Sex: Explicit. Frequent.
Hero: Secret Service Agent.
Heroine: Cookbook author caring for her nephew.
Cheating: She’s seeing someone else.
Trigger: Drug taking (cocaine) by secondary character.

To start with, they’ve known each other less than a week before they have sex. She doesn’t trust him. He’s using her. But they have sex.

There is a lack of grovel when she discovers his prevarication.

The plo
Jill Twigg
Apr 25, 2015 Jill Twigg rated it liked it
Story of David a Secret service agent undercover to learn of the president elect's outer family. Holly's brother is accused of being a traitor and he is on the run, suspected to eventually show up near Holly and David is hoping to be there to grab him.

I love it when a ward is treated better with a potential love interest than the relationship one is in. Holly is taking care of her brother's son while he is on the run. Her current boyfriend always refers to him as the kid. Where David calls him
Maria
Jun 13, 2009 Maria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Billed as the first book written by LLM, it is a good one, although it bogged down in the middle somewhat (after Craig's arrest) and had too much going on at the end, much of which was unresolved. Toby was a great character as was Elaine. The hero was somewhat off, first completely abject over his participation in Craig's arrest and then rude and out-of-line later in the book. I could not get a handle on him. The heroine was inclined to whine and pity herself. She had a lot to deal with, granted ...more
Jeanne
Jan 08, 2016 Jeanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Another good little romance story by Linda Lael Miller. This was a straight up love story no western theme here. Holly is a cookbook author and conducts cooking classes at the town department store. David is a member of the presidents secret service team. Holly's brother Craig used to be on that team but he is accused of conspiring with the enemy and David is assigned to find him and bring him in. He figures the best way to catch Craig is to watch Holly and he signs up for her cooking class. The ...more
Sassy
Nov 26, 2014 Sassy added it
Since this was written in 1985 and was probably her first book I'm going to cut her some slack. Aspects were good. But the main character I found very immature winey. Seems to be written by a teenager almost. Someone's first try at romance. It shows how far L.L.M. Has come, because if I had read this first I would've never picked up another one of her books. It was pretty bad on a whole. Seems written by someone without much relationship experience. And in 1985 I guess their wasnt much romance l ...more
Linda
Oct 30, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it
This is a cute book about a secret service agent and the sister of a man that had turned on his own Country because of drugs. David Goddard was spellbound when he met Holly Llewellyn for the first time knowing he was only to watch for any connection to her missing brother. Apparently they both had secrets they wanted to hide. The problem was that he wanted to know her better no matter what his job was.
Cecilia
Jul 27, 2011 Cecilia rated it liked it
It was a reasonably enjoyable read, though it felt kind of all over the place. It starts with a heavy emphasis on a treasonous brother of the heroine and the hero's job as a secret service agent, but then all of that takes a sudden backseat, becoming almost irrelevant by the end of the book. One oddity that would periodically take me out of the story was reading a book written in 1985, but (I presume) updated to include references to Webkinz and al-Qaeda.
Jeanne
Apr 01, 2014 Jeanne rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014-reads
I read this in a compilation entitled "A Proposal For Christmas." This is a rerelease of a nearly 30 year old book and it shows. It is the unlikely story of a romance between a Secret Service Agent, David Goddard and Holly Llewellyn, 3rd cousin of the new president. After much angst, everyone lives happily ever after...
Bookabulary
Jan 31, 2015 Bookabulary rated it it was ok
There was a time in the distant past when I would read anything about LLM. Seriously. This was one of those books I couldn't help picking up at the secondhand bookstore. The best way to describe this read is okay...although it may not be for those who are used to the more recent complex novels out there.
Briana
Jun 06, 2013 Briana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You can definitely tell this was one of Miller's earliest projects. The writing was a little choppy and the romance had some holes in it that made it hard for the reader to really get involved and root for the characters. I'd recommend her more recent works instead like the Stone Creek or Look series.
Emily Higgins
Apr 28, 2013 Emily Higgins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
A fun fantasy. Secret Service agent David Goddard is sent to Spokane, WA to determine whether Holly Llewellyn is selling secrets to the enemy. A Secret Service agent falling in love with a subject is one of the improbable situations that the reader needs to accept in order to enjoy the book. The characters are likable.
Karyn Gerrard
Apr 06, 2013 Karyn Gerrard rated it it was ok

Originally written in 1985, this had an old-school romance feel even though it had been updated to include more current pop references. Ran out of steam for me about half way through. The read was okay~
Michelle
Sep 04, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: traded-sold
Not a very good book. The premise was good, but the writing is amateur. You can tell it's one of her early books. There was no pacing for the romance, and the big misunderstanding was so predictable. Blah.
Veronica Flores hamilton
Okay story

Good story but I felt like it was drawn out. The book could've ended at the halfway point. Skyler was an odd character.
Jennifer Reierson
Apr 11, 2014 Jennifer Reierson rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, 2014
this one was pretty bad. I read it in "A Proposal for Christmas" which was a compilation of 2 books. ( I didn't read the other one). parts were good, but other parts were just awful.
Mary Ann
Dec 30, 2014 Mary Ann rated it liked it
Lots more steamy romance than state secrets. Those with fully operational hormones would probably enjoy.
Nicci
Jul 02, 2013 Nicci rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read.
karen
Mar 30, 2016 karen rated it it was amazing
I did not think I would like this book as I started it but it kept drawing me. I loved Davids character.
Susan
Dec 19, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
A quick easy read that was none the less enjoyable. a little different from her usual cowboy style which I have come to love but still an interesting story.
Candy
Mar 28, 2009 Candy rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Candy by: liked the author's other books
I've liked some of her "westerns" so I am curious if I will like another type of her books.

And now I am abandoning this book after 40 pages- I'm just not into it.
Linnea Bassin
Apr 22, 2015 Linnea Bassin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice story

I enjoyed reading this story. It was a little drawn out but still enjoyable. I look forward to reading more from this author.
Janice
Aug 15, 2013 Janice rated it it was amazing
All of Mrs. Miller's books are a GREAT read!! Always worth read over again!
Mycirenae Shelton
Mycirenae Shelton rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2013
Teresa
Teresa rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2015
Marilou
Marilou rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2014
Danyalle
Danyalle rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2015
Malissa
Malissa rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2014
Anne Bland
Anne Bland rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2013
Kayla
Kayla rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2014
  • My Lady Beloved
  • In Our Dreams
  • Keir O'Connell's Mistress (O'Connells, #1)
  • Besieged
  • Shadow Chasing
  • Dream Bride (Silhouette Special Edition, 1231)
  • The Inconvenient Bride
  • Everlasting Love
  • Putri Bungsu Keluarga Santini | The Last Santini Virgin (Bachelor Battalion #8; Santini Sisters, #2)
  • Welcome Back to Apple Grove (Small Town USA #3)
  • The Rancher & Heart of Stone (Harlequin Special Edition)
  • The Doctor Takes a Princess (Harlequin Special Edition)
  • Killer Cowboy Charm
  • Sharpshooter (Shadow Agents, #3)
  • Christmas at Bravo Ridge (Bravo Family, #26; Bravo Family Ties Miniseries, #9)
  • The Doctor's Wife
  • A Royal Marriage - Pernikahan Sang Pangeran (Royally Wed, #7)
The daughter of a town marshal, LINDA LAEL MILLER is a #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 100 historical and contemporary novels, most of which reflect her love of the West. The "First Lady of the West" lives outside Spokane, Washington, where her rescued horses, dogs and cats live the high life.

Published since 1983, Linda was awarded the prestigious Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievemen
More about Linda Lael Miller...