Start by marking “State Secrets” as Want to Read:
State Secrets

State Secrets

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  371 ratings  ·  23 reviews
David's job was to discover if Holly was exactly who she claimed to be . . . before the FBI indicted her for aiding and abetting a fugitive. Suddenly, Holly found herself challenged by a man like no other. But who was David--just a man interested in her cooking classes, or someone much more interested in her private affairs?
Published December 1st 1999 by Silhouette Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about State Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about State Secrets

I'm not sure why I keep reading books by the author, but I do. Evidently this is one of Miller's first books, originally published in 1984 and now it has been updated and re-released. On the inside cover of the updated edition there is a picture of the original book cover in all of its 80's cheesetastic glory.

The story is fine, although not very deep. The best thing about the book is too see where Miller missed an important update. For every reference to Osama Bin Laden and al Qaeda there are s
Jill Twigg
Story of David a Secret service agent undercover to learn of the president elect's outer family. Holly's brother is accused of being a traitor and he is on the run, suspected to eventually show up near Holly and David is hoping to be there to grab him.

I love it when a ward is treated better with a potential love interest than the relationship one is in. Holly is taking care of her brother's son while he is on the run. Her current boyfriend always refers to him as the kid. Where David calls him
Sassy
Nov 26, 2014 Sassy added it
Since this was written in 1985 and was probably her first book I'm going to cut her some slack. Aspects were good. But the main character I found very immature winey. Seems to be written by a teenager almost. Someone's first try at romance. It shows how far L.L.M. Has come, because if I had read this first I would've never picked up another one of her books. It was pretty bad on a whole. Seems written by someone without much relationship experience. And in 1985 I guess their wasnt much romance l ...more
Jeanne
I read this in a compilation entitled "A Proposal For Christmas." This is a rerelease of a nearly 30 year old book and it shows. It is the unlikely story of a romance between a Secret Service Agent, David Goddard and Holly Llewellyn, 3rd cousin of the new president. After much angst, everyone lives happily ever after...
Bookabulary
There was a time in the distant past when I would read anything about LLM. Seriously. This was one of those books I couldn't help picking up at the secondhand bookstore. The best way to describe this read is okay...although it may not be for those who are used to the more recent complex novels out there.
Jennifer Reierson
this one was pretty bad. I read it in "A Proposal for Christmas" which was a compilation of 2 books. ( I didn't read the other one). parts were good, but other parts were just awful.
Maria
Billed as the first book written by LLM, it is a good one, although it bogged down in the middle somewhat (after Craig's arrest) and had too much going on at the end, much of which was unresolved. Toby was a great character as was Elaine. The hero was somewhat off, first completely abject over his participation in Craig's arrest and then rude and out-of-line later in the book. I could not get a handle on him. The heroine was inclined to whine and pity herself. She had a lot to deal with, granted ...more
Linnea Bassin
Nice story

I enjoyed reading this story. It was a little drawn out but still enjoyable. I look forward to reading more from this author.
Veronica Flores hamilton
Okay story

Good story but I felt like it was drawn out. The book could've ended at the halfway point. Skyler was an odd character.
Mary Ann
Lots more steamy romance than state secrets. Those with fully operational hormones would probably enjoy.
Cecilia
It was a reasonably enjoyable read, though it felt kind of all over the place. It starts with a heavy emphasis on a treasonous brother of the heroine and the hero's job as a secret service agent, but then all of that takes a sudden backseat, becoming almost irrelevant by the end of the book. One oddity that would periodically take me out of the story was reading a book written in 1985, but (I presume) updated to include references to Webkinz and al-Qaeda.
Emily Higgins
A fun fantasy. Secret Service agent David Goddard is sent to Spokane, WA to determine whether Holly Llewellyn is selling secrets to the enemy. A Secret Service agent falling in love with a subject is one of the improbable situations that the reader needs to accept in order to enjoy the book. The characters are likable.
Briana
You can definitely tell this was one of Miller's earliest projects. The writing was a little choppy and the romance had some holes in it that made it hard for the reader to really get involved and root for the characters. I'd recommend her more recent works instead like the Stone Creek or Look series.
Karyn Gerrard

Originally written in 1985, this had an old-school romance feel even though it had been updated to include more current pop references. Ran out of steam for me about half way through. The read was okay~
Michelle
Not a very good book. The premise was good, but the writing is amateur. You can tell it's one of her early books. There was no pacing for the romance, and the big misunderstanding was so predictable. Blah.
Susan
A quick easy read that was none the less enjoyable. a little different from her usual cowboy style which I have come to love but still an interesting story.
Candy
Apr 02, 2009 Candy rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Candy by: liked the author's other books
I've liked some of her "westerns" so I am curious if I will like another type of her books.

And now I am abandoning this book after 40 pages- I'm just not into it.
Janice
All of Mrs. Miller's books are a GREAT read!! Always worth read over again!
Mom
Too unbelivable - difficult to like the characters.
Jane Drager
Will written. Would recommend.
Donna
Very good book.
Monika
Monika marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Danelle Cale
Danelle Cale marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Kathie
Kathie added it
May 02, 2015
  • My Lady Beloved
  • In Our Dreams
  • Keir O'Connell's Mistress (Wanita Pilihan Keir O'Connell) (O'Connells, #1)
  • A Montana Mavericks Christmas
  • Everlasting Love
  • Pernikahan Sang Pangeran (Royally Wed, #7)
  • Bachelor's Puzzle (Welcome to Tyler, #8)
  • Arrowpoint (Welcome to Tyler, #7)
  • Scorned By The Boss (Reasons for Revenge, #1)
  • The Doctor's Wife
  • Cindy and the Prince
  • Crossroads (Welcome to Tyler, #10)
  • Dante's Wedding Deception (The Dante Legacy #3)
  • The Rancher & Heart of Stone
  • Million Dollar Marriage (Fortunes of Texas #1)
  • Cowboy at Midnight (Fortunes of Texas: Reunion #1)
As the daughter of a town marshal, Linda has come home to the western lifestyle that gave birth to one of today’s most successful authors. She left Washington years ago and pursued her wanderlust, living in Arizona and London and traveling the world. Now the author of more than 100 novels, the “First Lady of the West” is glad to be back home, writing contemporary and historical stories that have e ...more
More about Linda Lael Miller...
Logan (Montana Creeds, #1) Dylan (Montana Creeds, #2) Tyler (Montana Creeds, #3) McKettrick's Luck (McKettricks, #6; McKettrick Men, #1) High Country Bride (McKettrick, #1)