Start by marking “Mixed Messages” as Want to Read:
Mixed Messages

Mixed Messages

Carly Barnett's dream is to be a journalist, and the Oregonian Times seems like an ideal place to start, until she learns what she'll be doing: writing an advice column for lonely hearts. Reporter Mark Holbrook doesn't think much of her column, but he can't deny the attraction he feels for her. And he refuses to take her advice, even if she holds the key to unlocking his o ...more
Published January 1st 2003 by Mira Books (first published April 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Mixed Messages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mixed Messages

Grace
Mar 21, 2017 Grace rated it did not like it
1.5
Dawn
Nov 20, 2008 Dawn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys romance novels.
Recommended to Dawn by: I read all of Linda Lael Miller's books.
Good romance story. It was a quick read, but I enjoy Linda Lael Miller's Western Romance more.
Janice
Aug 15, 2013 Janice rated it it was amazing
All of Mrs. Miller's books are a GREAT read!! Always worth read over again!
Susan
This one was okay, but not one of my favorites. Carly is a former beauty pageant winner (scholarship opportunity?) but is trying to move past that image. She graduated from college with a degree in journalism, anxious to make her dream come true. Hired to work at a Portland newspaper, on the way to Portland from Kansas she happens to meet their top reporter. Though sexy as can be, his rather condescending attitude toward her grates on her nerves.

I have to admit that, like Carly, Mark's attitude
Nov 13, 2016 Laura rated it it was ok
I started this one thinking it was a current novel of Miller's , but quickly realized I was reading one from the 80s (turned out to be 1990, but still). The heroine gets to be feisty only for a couple pages, but is quickly subdued by the dominant hero and her own treacherous ladyparts. Plus there are other conventions in the story that don't hold up well, like the huge bags of mail she gets as an advice columnist. And one person she meets refers to her as "Miss USA, nineteen - eighty... " Made m ...more
A light, enjoyable romance. I recently bought this book at our local library book sale, in which you pay only $1.00 for all the used books you can fit into a grocery bag! What a deal! It was a lot of fun. I ended up buying three full grocery bags of books. This book originally came out in 1990, so it was interesting to compare the differences from today's current times to 1990 (no cell phones, no internet, the main character wore a "fashionable, turquoise blue jumpsuit" on a date, and their meet ...more
Carma
Sep 18, 2010 Carma rated it did not like it
I quit this book after 10-15 pages. While many times I enjoy this author, this book was already "We cannot get along in the same room, but I can't keep my hands off you, (3 pages of foreplay & ecstasy) but I refuse to communicate what I'm thinking or feeling, so we'll both stay tortured". No thanks.
Bookabulary
Jan 31, 2015 Bookabulary rated it liked it
This book was one of the better ones from LLM. The story really started strong and great. The attraction between the two main characters was really enjoyable read. Unfortunately, the story kind of plateaued for me from there when I expected it to finish on a stronger note.
Megan
Jul 05, 2010 Megan rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2011
This is by far my least favorite book by Linda Lael Miller. I love the occasional romance but this one simply one sexual romp after another with very little actual story line.
Susan
May 08, 2013 Susan rated it it was ok
a fast quick read with a predictable ending. Really not her best work but enjoyable enough when there is NOTHING else to read
Lesley
Apr 20, 2012 Lesley rated it liked it
One of her earlier books - a good predictible love story.
Katrina
May 27, 2012 Katrina rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2012
I generally like Linda Lael Miller''s books. This one reflects the time it was written and had not aged well.
Cat
Oct 01, 2015 Cat rated it liked it
Quick read. Cute, funny, predicable and a bit rushed. But overall a good read.
Sandy
Jul 09, 2013 Sandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good but not one of her best. also knew from the beginning what was gonna happen and it took a long time to get there.
Dawn
Dawn rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2015
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
May 10, 2009
Tracey
Tracey rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2013
Ronda Barnes-Howard
Ronda Barnes-Howard rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2011
Tina
Tina rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2011
Stephania Galeas
Stephania Galeas rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2014
Pj
Pj rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2011
Kaitlin
Kaitlin rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2013
Stacy
Stacy rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2011
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
May 08, 2010
Elisabeth Kenney
Elisabeth Kenney rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2013
Cheryl Kidwell
Cheryl Kidwell rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2014
Lauconn
Lauconn rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2016
Robin
Robin rated it it was ok
Feb 02, 2013
Missy
Missy rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2015
  • My Lady Beloved
  • Fallen Angel
  • In Our Dreams
  • Chicken Soup for the Mother's Soul 2: More Stories to Open the Hearts and Rekindle the Spirits of Mothers (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • Forever After
  • Night Fever
  • The Virgin Groom (Hawk's Way #10)
  • Summer Sensations: Overload, The Leopard's Woman, Lonesome Rider
  • Babies in the Bargain
  • My Lady, The Spy (Brethren of the Coast, #2)
  • Perfect Piece (A Sisters, Ink Novel #4)
  • The Sheikh's Bride (Sheikh's Arabian Nights #1 & 2)(Mills and Boon Shipping Cycle)
  • Wild Men of Alaska (Wild Men of Alaska #1-4)
  • Armed and Devastating (The Precinct: Brotherhood of the Badge #2; The Precinct #8)
  • A View of the River
  • Hot Summer Bites (Castle of Dark Dreams, #3.5)
The daughter of a town marshal, LINDA LAEL MILLER is a #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 100 historical and contemporary novels, most of which reflect her love of the West. The "First Lady of the West" lives outside Spokane, Washington, where her rescued horses, dogs and cats live the high life.

Published since 1983, Linda was awarded the prestigious Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievemen
More about Linda Lael Miller...