This Side of Glory (The Plantation Trilogy Book #3)

This Side of Glory (Plantation Trilogy #3)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  253 ratings  ·  15 reviews
When Eleanor Upjohn and Kester Larne fell in love,waves of shock spread through their Southern families. The Larnes, still living in gracious if seedy elegance, Eleanor was 'common', the descendant of white trash. And to the Upjohns, Kester was a spoiled playboy whose airs of gentility were simply a mask of laziness.
Published April 1st 1968 by Thomas Y. Crowell (first published January 1st 1940)

To ask other readers questions about This Side of Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Side of Glory

Shadow of the Moon by M.M. KayeThe Moon in The Water by Pamela BelleThe Chains of Fate by Pamela BelleGad's Hall by Norah LoftsZemindar by Valerie Fitzgerald
Best Out of Print Books
47th out of 150 books — 48 voters
All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria RemarqueThe Guns of August by Barbara W. TuchmanRegeneration by Pat BarkerBirdsong by Sebastian FaulksA Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
The Great War
151st out of 234 books — 213 voters

More lists with this book...

Misfit
In the first book in what is known as her Plantation Trilogy, Deep Summer, Bristow began the story of Phillip Larne who brings his new bride to carve a new life out of the steaming jungles of Louisiana. The Handsome Road carries the Larne and Sheramy families through the Civil War and emphasizes the difference between the upper class and their struggles to hold onto their way of life through the carpet bagger era. Which brings us to the last book in this trilogy -

This Side of Glory begins in 19...more
Muriel Schwenck
I remember the Plantation Trilogy as a very good read, and educational. I read them as a teenager and they still hold up. I learned two phrases from these books that I still use today:
lagniappe and "n----r rich". Now that's a bad phrase that we are not supposed to say today, but it's relevant: When a man, who is not used to money, gets a windfall, he buys a colorful silk shirt for himself instead of buying shoes for his children.
In a brutal yet truthful way, that's the difference between the co...more
Kate Quinn
This Side of Glory is the final installment of Bristow's Plantation Trilogy. Her first book in the trilogy saw the creation of Louisiana's upper class, the second book compared the upper class and the lower - and this book unites them. Kester Larne is the handsome and happy-go-lucky son of Louisiana's oldest aristocracy in the beginning of the twentieth century, and his family is appalled when he brings home as a bride the hard-headed and sensible Elinor from blue-collar river engineers. A charm...more
Idril
Achtung, Spoiler für alle, die Teil 1 und 2 noch nicht gelesen haben

Louisiana, 1912. Eleanor, die Enkelin von Corrie May aus “Die noble Straße” arbeitet im Deichbauunternehmen ihres mittlerweile sehr erfolgreichen Vaters. Sie ist klug, gebildet und ehrgeizig – die Familie Upjohn, die früher zum sogenannten “arm weiß Pack” gehörte, hat sich nach oben gekämpft. Eleanor begegnet Kester Larne, dem Enkel von Anne Sheramy Larne und Erben der Ardeith-Plantage. Es kommt, wie es kommen muss, die beiden v...more
Mary
Nov 28, 2009 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mary by: wanted to read more by the author of Jubilee Trail
This last of the Plantation trilogy takes the characters into the first world war. As in all of Bristow's books this was very educational while still telling a good story. It was fascinating to learn how destructive to the South the cotton gin was, in that it required much more labor to plant and pick the larger amount of cotton required once it was no longer combed by hand. Relationships betwwn the races were adversely affected too. This was hard to put down.
HeavyReader
Dec 28, 2011 HeavyReader rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of historical fiction/romance
Shelves: fiction, louisiana
This book is the third in the trilogy by Gwen Bristow set in Louisiana. I'm glad I finally figured out the names of these three books. I've been thinking about them for a long time, but couldn't remember the titles or author.

I read them when I was in middle school or high school and was into historical fiction/romance.

I liked this one and the others a whole lot at the time I read them.
April Dinucci
This was by far my favorite of the plantation series novels, you can't help but love such a proud and stubborn heroine. Thankfully this book was less tragic than the first two and fast paced. The trilogy ended nicely with the eventual stabalization of the Great south after world war 1 and before the terrible beginnings of radical hate groups.
Susan Willingham
This is the final book in the Plantation trilogy. The characters kept apologizing to each other throughout the whole book. It was rather annoying. The granddaughter of Corrie May Upjohn is now married to Denis Larne and living at Ardeith plantation (where Corrie May worked as a seamstress and hated all the rich people). Rather ironic.
Tara
I'm glad I completed this series, but did find this to be the weakest of the three. Was beginning to lose patience with the landed Southerners, who grew increasingly prejudiced and intractable throughout the whole story arc. Find it difficult to believe that could remain so rigid in their ideals after all that they had gone through.

Karen
A worthy end to the Plantation Trilogy. I didn't like it quite as much as the first two--I never really warmed up to either Eleanor or Kester--but it was an interesting story nonetheless. I wish Bristow had kept going and shown us Ardeith during WWII!
Mary Z : )
Another fine story by Gwen Bristow. I'm sorry to see the end of this trilogy! Excellent storytelling, perfect pace, well-defined characters. The heroine and I shared many personal qualities. It was actually rather insightful.
Lhenry
Good story but the racist depictions and attitudes pretty much ruin it to the modern reader
Shelly
Very interesting and full of historical facts as usual in her books
Mary Seely
Not her best book but I did like it.
Jack
Jack added it
Sep 11, 2014
Debbie Ingram
Debbie Ingram marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Jules
Jules marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Bella Mason
Bella Mason marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
American author and journalist. She studied at Columbia University and afterwards wrote for a number of literary magazines and journals. Eventually she moved to New Orleans, and worked at the Times-Picayune. She became interested in longer forms of writing—novels and short stories—through her husband, screenwriter Bruce Manning, and published her first novel in 1929.

Bristow reached the pinnacle o...more
More about Gwen Bristow...
Jubilee Trail Celia Garth Calico Palace Deep Summer (Plantation Trilogy, #1) The Handsome Road (Plantation Trilogy, #2)