Start by marking “The Truth” as Want to Read:
The Truth

The Truth (Discworld #25)

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  41,752 Ratings  ·  943 Reviews
The denizens of Ankh-Morpork fancy they've seen just about everything. But then comes the "Ankh-Morpork Times, " struggling scribe William de Worde's upper-crust, newsletter turned Discworld's first paper of record.

An ethical joulnalist, de Worde has a proclivity for investigating stories -- a nasty habit that soon creates powerful enemies eager to stop his presses. And wh
Published September 18th 2007 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Truth

Patrick
Feb 09, 2012 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I think I've only read this Pratchett novel once before, and on the re-read, I enjoyed it more than I expected to.

Don't get me wrong. The worst Terry Pratchett novel is still wonderfully enjoyable. And while I don't think this one is *the* best, it's *among* the best. Definitely on his A list.

As a bonus, I think this book would be more accessible to new readers, as most of the main characters are new, and the older characters are mostly there for support.

As I re-read all the Discworld novels,
Melki
Mar 22, 2014 Melki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The truth shall make ye free fret"

Despite their fear of that newfangled movable type, Ankh-Morpork has FINALLY gotten a newspaper!

Young William de Worde is quite surprised when his page full of "things written down" is suddenly incredibly popular with the citizenry, and publishing a newspaper becomes a rather terrifying, learn-as-you-go experience. Should he listen to the advice of others or go with his gut?

"Be careful. People like to be told what they already know. Remember that. They get u
Manny
Aug 11, 2016 Manny marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I was astonished just now to read the following passage from a recent Time article about Donald Trump:
Ask him about these struggles and the braggadocio fades to fatalism. “All I can do is tell the truth,” he says. “If that does it, that’s great. And if that doesn’t do it, that’s fine too.”
Mr. Trump, please call me as soon as possible. I have an idea. And I think you'll like it.
Lyn
Feb 25, 2017 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret.

So it says on the cover of the Ankh-Morpork Times. Printer’s error? Maybe. Maybe Terry Pratchett is up to his old tricks and this is a monster truck rally of Have-At-You!! intended to satirize journalism, government, free speech, and whatever else might get in the way.

In 1980 Sting, lead singer, songwriter and bass player for The Police sang this:

“Poets priests and politicians
Have words to thank for their positions
Words that scream for your submission
And no-one's jam
Наталия Янева
Истината рядко е чиста и никога проста, ще ви каже Оскар Уайлд. Според Джейн Остин пък е общоизвестна истина, че всеки богат млад мъж трябва да си вземе съпруга. Мълдър и Скъли от своя страна винаги са били убедени, че истината е някъде там. Всъщност истината е изменчива и ковка сплав, която всеки си я наглася както му дойде.

„Светът се състои от четири елемента — Земя, Въздух, Огън и Вода... Има и пети елемент, обикновено го наричат Изненада.“ Всичко тръгва от там как един наследник на рода дьо
Deborah Markus
Jul 19, 2013 Deborah Markus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a favorable bias toward the story of someone stumbling into the business of printed news. This story isn't exactly analogous to my own. I decided to start a magazine when the concept of magazines already existed. William de Worde managed to invent the newspaper without even trying. Terry Pratchett does a wonderful job of showing the form evolve in fast-motion.

He also gives ample stage time here to two of my favorite Discworld characters: Lord Vetinari and Commander Vimes. And of course,
YouKneeK
Feb 27, 2017 YouKneeK rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Truth is the second book in the Industrial Revolution subseries of Discworld. The first book had been Moving Pictures and was one of my least favorite, so I was very pleasantly surprised by this one. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

In this book, newspapers are introduced to Ankh-Morpork. Meanwhile, there’s a plot against Lord Vetinari (yes, another one!) to frame him for a crime. The story was funny and interesting, with some deeper commentary sandwiched within the silliness. I really liked the ma
Michael
A lot of your enjoyment of Terry Pratchett's DiscWorld series comes down to your awareness of the object of Pratchett's satire. In the case of "The Truth," it's the world of newspapers and journalism in general. Having a background in this, I found a lot of Pratchett's zingers and satire to be dead-on accurate in their humor and observation.

What I didn't find quite as spot-on was some of the twists and turns of the novel. For one thing, the identity of who is behind the elaborate conspiracy is s
Kathleen
Aug 05, 2015 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this about 15 years ago and quite enjoyed the satire and parody about "the truth" that's printed in newspapers (if it's published, it's ink-validated). It's about time for a re-read. Or maybe I'll buy the digital audiobook and listen to it, if the sound quality is good. This book comes after The Fifth Elephant in sequence, but could be read as a stand-alone.

This book includes some of my favorite characters — "people" I first met in Guards! Guards! —Lord Vetinari, Samuel Vimes, and several
Knjigoholičarka
Jan 07, 2013 Knjigoholičarka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: discworld
Prvobitno sam dala knjizi 3 zvezdice, jer jednostavno nije na humorističkom nivou starijih Pračetovih knjiga. Pogrešila sam, jer Pračet, kao i svaki pisac, ima pravo da evoluira; u ovom slučaju krećemo se od specifičnog teripračetovskog humora ka satiri. Ka kritikama modernog društva, sa osvrtima na politička, sociološka i ina događanja.

Nakon što sam malko porazmislila, shvatila sam da mi se zapravo najviše dopalo to što je u ovoj knjizi Pračet uporedio žutu štampu sa JMPDŽ Diblerovim kobasicama
Wastrel
An ultimately slight tale with a degree of laxness in the telling, but brought to life by passion and specificity - this is a novel about journalism, and clearly draws on Pratchett's experience in the field, both in its details and in its complex and unresolved ethical-political debates. The book also benefits from some of Pratchett's best villains, and is an enjoyable and frequently laugh-out-loud-funny read throughout.

Not one of my favourites, and the jaded reader may identify the flaws that w
Tfitoby
May 16, 2011 Tfitoby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastical, funny
The one in which Sir Terry foresaw the age of lying and calling it the (post-)truth and challenged the media to call fascist, racist scumbags on their hypocrisy, removing their power in the process. Well he got one part right, now it's your turn media and "news" outlets.
Kristen
Apr 25, 2008 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
Reviewing Pratchett is always hard, I absolutely adore most of his books, and his literary cannon is huge. I have been reading all of the Discworld books in chronological order and have finally arrived at “The Truth,” the twenty-fifth book in the series. “The Truth” introduces the character of William de Worde, a young son of a noble who chooses not to follow in his father’s footsteps, rather attempting to make his own way in the world. Late one night the local rumor that Dwarves have found a wa ...more
TL
Nov 04, 2014 TL rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to TL by: Deborah Markus
Shelves: favorites
I went into this excited but a little nervous too... most satires either don't look interesting to me or I don't like it when alot of others love it. My sense of humor is a bit different sometimes haha.

Well, *points at my rating* happy to see this isn't the case :). Even though I didn't start at the beginning of Discworld, I wasn't confused and fell in love right away. A vibrant world that doesn't take itself seriously and plenty of laughs to go with the peril/drama when it happened.

Two of the v
Nathan
Complete Discworld Reread

“An’ then…then I’m gonna get medieval on his arse.”

There were more pressing problems but this one intrigued Mr. Pin.

“How, exactly?” he said.

“I thought maybe a maypole,” said Mr. Tulip reflectively. “An’ then a display of country dancing, land tillage under the three-field system, several plagues, and if my –ing hand ain’t too tired the invention of the –ing horse collar”

You can always tell when my favorite author is on his ‘A’ Game and when he is off. When the plot
Kurtbg
If you print it people will believe it. Terry Pratchett has fun with media by giving Ankh-Morpork it's first newspaper. If it's in the paper it must be true, otherwise 'they' wouldn't print it, would they? Just who are "they" and what drives them? The power of the press grows as the city Patrician (ruler) is accused of attacking and bludgeoning his assistant.

If you're still a reader of newspapers in the age of internet there's nothing more telling about the power of the press then the automotive
Lionel
Oct 18, 2014 Lionel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I knew what gets Sir Terry started on particular themes! Over the years Discworld has given opportunity to closely examine all sorts of themes important to the modern world:- In no particular order, Equal Rites examined women's rights, Maskerade examined the world of the performing arts, Pyramids totally parodied the traditional fantasy stereotype assassin, Moving Pictures took the p*** out of Hollywood until there was no joke left uncracked, Soul Music made an affectionate mockery of a c ...more
Ms Stef
Mar 11, 2016 Ms Stef rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pratchett
I have always enjoyed Mr. Pratchett writing and plan on rereading all of the Discworld novels again and again. The truth is a good start for those new to the Discworld and just want to have a peek into what this alternative world is about.
William de Worde doesn't mean to start a newspaper he just happens to be at the right place and time for things to fall into sync. Now how can he share his passion for the truth with the Ankh-Morpork public and still keep alive?
The Truth tackles some heavy, d
Kaethe
April 3 2004
Jan 1 2012

Having read it twice, I feel like I should remember it better.

***

December 16, 2014

The Industrial Revolution series-within-a-series are all devoted to bringing the Discworld out of medieval European fantasy and into the modern world. This is the development of the printing press and newspapers. It is a romp on the theme of great newspaper romantic comedies, with the clever aristocratic publisher solving a mystery, dealing with politics, and getting the girl despite a certain
elpida_la_blue
Jul 12, 2016 elpida_la_blue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant Pratchett strikes again.

"And something that distinguishes the Mr Windlings of the universe is the term 'in my humble opinion', which they think adds weight to their statements rather than indicating, in reality, 'these are the mean little views of someone with the social grace of the duckweed'."
Nigel Temple
Jan 26, 2008 Nigel Temple rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I admit it! I am a Terry Pratchett fan. I have bought all of his books. They make me laugh out loud and I find myself re-reading them. What more can I say? =)
Beth
May 15, 2015 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another brilliant, entertaining, and imaginative read! Just what I've come to expect and appreciate from Terry Pratchett. Sometimes, though, I'd trade some of the humor for a bit more back story.
Christina
Feb 08, 2010 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"If it was in the paper, it was news. If it was news it went in the paper, and if it was in the paper it was news. And it was the truth." (p. 134).
When Terry Pratchett is at his best, he takes something from the real world and puts it in the Discworld universe and watches what happens. In this book, it's journalism, free press and the news that are the subject of his scrutiny - and also how people in charge cope with these. This is a very succesful installment in the Discworld series since the
James Jacobs
Mar 27, 2016 James Jacobs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Writing Wall has seen the review first.

The Truth shall make ye fret.

I closed the covers of Terry Pratchett’s twenty-fifth novel with more reluctance than when Vizzini in the Princess Bride drank poison with Wesley. I can still taste the words on my tongue, several hours after finishing it.

I can’t say this book massively changed me, made me into a better man, but that’s not what a book’s for, in my opinion. Books are supposed to entertain, let us slip free of this useless skin some blind god t
Blue
Jan 08, 2017 Blue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You know how Goodreads has the Spoilers box you can check? I clearly need one for Full Of Despair Over The Future, And That Is Clearly Impacting This Book "Review." Honestly I'm surprised Goodreads doesn't already have something for this.

For the first time I became depressed while reading one of the Discworld books.

I don't mean a misty eyed "Terry Pratchett is dead, and there will never be another new Discworld book to surprise and delight me" sort of sadness. I'm talking about soul crushing d
Subhalakshmi Roy
May 09, 2013 Subhalakshmi Roy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terry Pratchett takes us through the murky politics of Ankh-Morpork with his particular brand of humor and witticism. Trolls, vampires, dwarfs, humans, imps, golems, gargoyles, werewolves come together in a story about politics, justice, society and the truth. The old Ankh-Morporkian favorites are back, Mister Vimes, Lord Vetinari, Captain Carrot, Corporal Nobbs...along with some new endearing characters...most notably Otto the recovering vampire, a photographer by trade, who vapourises every ti ...more
Matt
Oct 26, 2016 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor, 2016-reads
The city of Ankh-Morpork is a vast multicultural and multispecies metropolis with a strong economy and police force, so what happens when Discworld’s biggest city gets a newspaper? The twenty-fifth installment of Terry Pratchett’s fantasy-humor series, The Truth once more finds the flat world taking another step into an Industrial Revolution while a conspiracy looks led Ankh-Morpork into the future by looking back.

William de Worde, scion of one of Ankh-Morpork’s oldest families, is a scribe maki
Jude Morrissey
Jun 17, 2014 Jude Morrissey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I loved this book! Well, I love all the Discworld novels. To be honest, I just love Terry Pratchett's work entirely. He is a consistently awesome writer; I've never met a book he's written that I didn't at least like a heck of a whole lot - and he writes a ton.

But this one, in particular, hit me over the head with awesome.

I have always been shocked and annoyed by people who are more interested in the gender of a celebrity's often imaginary baby, or the latest alien abduction, than in legislati
Andree
Oct 03, 2016 Andree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, 2016
This is another solid one. I found it a bit slow at the start, otherwise the setting up of Anhk-Morpork's first newspaper is a good story.

It did feel like a bit of a proto-Moist Lupwig, with William de Worde not being quite as awesome (but still pretty good). And his dynamic with Vimes was fun (but then, Vimes is awesome with pretty much everyone). I did like how the Times and its staff resolved all of their perpetual problems. Cleverness is fun.

Also, I continue to enjoy that the weather in Uber
2015 Reading Chal...: The Truth by Terry Pratchett 2 27 Dec 31, 2014 02:44PM
Should I read the rest of Discworld first? 19 516 Sep 29, 2013 01:44PM
  • The Witches of Chiswick
  • The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook
  • Flying Dutch
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)

“There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who, when presented with a glass that is exactly half full, say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty.
The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass! Who's been pinching my beer?
And at the other end of the bar the world is full of the other type of person, who has a broken glass, or a glass that has been carelessly knocked over (usually by one of the people calling for a larger glass) or who had no glass at all, because he was at the back of the crowd and had failed to catch the barman's eye. ”
754 likes
“Sometimes glass glitters more than diamonds because it has more to prove.” 638 likes