Start by marking “Wives of the Signers: The Women Behind the Declaration of Independence” as Want to Read:
Wives of the Signers: The Women Behind the Declaration of Independence

Wives of the Signers: The Women Behind the Declaration of Independence

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  123 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Originally penned in 1912, this historical reprint showcases individual portraits of the fiercely courageous women who endured tremendous hardship as their husbands fought to build an independent nation. women such as Abigail Adams, Dorothy Quincy Hancock, and Julia Stockton Rush contributed their wisdom,strength, and loyalty to the cause of the Revolution, shaping history ...more
Published May 12th 2003 by Wallbuilder Press (first published May 10th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Wives of the Signers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wives of the Signers

Karen
Mar 16, 2012 Karen rated it liked it
I also liked this book--which I read in conjunction with Lives of the Signers. Unfortunately, there wasn't as much history recorded about the "ladies" and the book isn't very specific about some of their fates, characteristics, etc. One entry, on Button Gwinnet from Georgia, ends by stating that after he died (12 days after a duel) "Mrs. Gwinnet and her children soon followed him." (p.275) What sort of ending is that???? Did they starve to death? Die of illness? But, on the whole,I did learn qui ...more
goddess
Jul 18, 2010 goddess rated it liked it
Shelves: history, own
Pretty basic book relating some info of the wives of the signers. Some of them led extraordinary lives. Many suffered greatly as a result of the Declaration and ensuing war. It's nice to put some realness behind these patriots (both the signers and their wives). While this was a decent read, sometimes I felt like it spoke more of the signer himself rather than his wife (which understandably one has to learn about the signer to understand his wife's role).
Naomi
Sep 04, 2010 Naomi rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings about this book. Part of the book read simply like a geneology chart, very matter of fact, while other wives expanded upon. I would have liked to have seen more on some of the wives who appeared to be as interesting as their husbands, though I am aware that this information may not exist.

I was reminded continuously throughout the book of the old adage "behind every strong man; there is a strong woman"
Amber
Feb 04, 2012 Amber rated it liked it
I love history. So this was a fun read for me. I would give the first half a four and the second a three. Only beacuse there wasn't a lot of detail about the lives of the women in the second half, it was more geneology. Interesting and quick read. I learned a lot about what the families really went through to begin the mold of what our country is today. So greatful for those early Americans.
Celeste
Feb 22, 2011 Celeste rated it liked it
I was really hoping to learn some interesting things about the women of the Revolutionary War period. But as usual, the author had very little historical accounts to base his book off since women weren't really written about or documented well during this part of history. But I do think these women were large supporters of the Declaration of Independence.
Marie
Jul 21, 2008 Marie rated it really liked it
It was great that someone wrote this book despite the fact that it is very hard to find information on many woman from history (which I think was often because of their family's and society's high respect for them more than a lack of interest in recording their histories).
Lynne
Dec 31, 2015 Lynne rated it liked it
This was an interesting book, however, there was very little information on the women except that they were proper wives, well educated etc. Quite often more information was given on their husbands. Some, such as Abigail Adams did have more info.
Lara Lazenby
Sep 11, 2010 Lara Lazenby rated it it was ok
Shelves: us-history
Textbook written in 1912. Most of the Founders and their families lost everything and many died early due to Tory persecution. Didn't learn that in school. Dry, factual read with occational bursts of wow. Needless to say, these women rocked!
Lifferth
Oct 10, 2010 Lifferth rated it liked it
I looked forward to learning of these women, and there were interesting facts in the book. However, it was a little like reading an encyclopedia and hard to get through.
Alicia
Jul 02, 2010 Alicia rated it liked it
The author(s) didn't have very much information on these wonderful women so they put in short biography of their husbands. The book would've been much shorter without these.
Jan 21, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Now I love the signers even more! What a delight it is to know their wives a bit more. Great people with love of country!
Julie
Oct 06, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it
I have loved reading about the tremendous women of this era in time
Robin Isham
I enjoyed reading about some very amazing ladies.
Jan
Mar 09, 2011 Jan rated it it was ok
Great history.
Alan Pearlman
Alan Pearlman marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Joel Anthony
Joel Anthony rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Pawneace
Pawneace rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Moppy Martin
Moppy Martin marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Fivewincs
Fivewincs marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Kate Cook
Kate Cook marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Donnamae Harkness
Donnamae Harkness marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Tom B
Tom B marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Janis Austin
Janis Austin marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Pud
Pud marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Ernie
Ernie marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Rose
Rose rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
  • Lives of the Signers of the Declaration of Independence
  • The Real Benjamin Franklin (Vol. 2 of the American Classic Series)
  • Setting the Record Straight: American History in Black & White
  • Unlikely Heroes: Ordinary Men and Women Whose Courage Won the Revolution
  • George Washington's Sacred Fire
  • The Real George Washington
  • Blacklisted by History: The Untold Story of Senator Joe McCarthy and His Fight Against America's Enemies
  • Abigail Adams: A Biography
  • Stealing Secrets: How a Few Daring Women Deceived Generals, Impacted Battles, and Altered the Course of the Civil War
  • Woodrow Wilson and the Roots of Modern Liberalism
  • The Original Argument: The Federalists' Case for the Constitution, Adapted for the 21st Century
  • Trial and Triumph: Stories from Church History
  • Seven Events That Made America America: And Proved That the Founding Fathers Were Right All Along
  • The Constitution: A Heavenly Banner
  • Abraham Lincoln, a Man of Faith and Courage: Stories of Our Most Admired President
  • The Gift of Music: Great Composers and Their Influence