Wives of the Signers: The Women Behind the Declaration of Independence

Wives of the Signers: The Women Behind the Declaration of Independence

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Originally penned in 1912, this historical reprint showcases individual portraits of the fiercely courageous women who endured tremendous hardship as their husbands fought to build an independent nation. women such as Abigail Adams, Dorothy Quincy Hancock, and Julia Stockton Rush contributed their wisdom,strength, and loyalty to the cause of the Revolution, shaping history...more
Published January 1st 1997 by Wallbuilder Press

Karen
I also liked this book--which I read in conjunction with Lives of the Signers. Unfortunately, there wasn't as much history recorded about the "ladies" and the book isn't very specific about some of their fates, characteristics, etc. One entry, on Button Gwinnet from Georgia, ends by stating that after he died (12 days after a duel) "Mrs. Gwinnet and her children soon followed him." (p.275) What sort of ending is that???? Did they starve to death? Die of illness? But, on the whole,I did learn qui...more
goddess
Pretty basic book relating some info of the wives of the signers. Some of them led extraordinary lives. Many suffered greatly as a result of the Declaration and ensuing war. It's nice to put some realness behind these patriots (both the signers and their wives). While this was a decent read, sometimes I felt like it spoke more of the signer himself rather than his wife (which understandably one has to learn about the signer to understand his wife's role).
Naomi
I have mixed feelings about this book. Part of the book read simply like a geneology chart, very matter of fact, while other wives expanded upon. I would have liked to have seen more on some of the wives who appeared to be as interesting as their husbands, though I am aware that this information may not exist.

I was reminded continuously throughout the book of the old adage "behind every strong man; there is a strong woman"
Amber
I love history. So this was a fun read for me. I would give the first half a four and the second a three. Only beacuse there wasn't a lot of detail about the lives of the women in the second half, it was more geneology. Interesting and quick read. I learned a lot about what the families really went through to begin the mold of what our country is today. So greatful for those early Americans.
Celeste
I was really hoping to learn some interesting things about the women of the Revolutionary War period. But as usual, the author had very little historical accounts to base his book off since women weren't really written about or documented well during this part of history. But I do think these women were large supporters of the Declaration of Independence.
Marie
It was great that someone wrote this book despite the fact that it is very hard to find information on many woman from history (which I think was often because of their family's and society's high respect for them more than a lack of interest in recording their histories).
Lara Lazenby
Textbook written in 1912. Most of the Founders and their families lost everything and many died early due to Tory persecution. Didn't learn that in school. Dry, factual read with occational bursts of wow. Needless to say, these women rocked!
Lifferth
I looked forward to learning of these women, and there were interesting facts in the book. However, it was a little like reading an encyclopedia and hard to get through.
Alicia
The author(s) didn't have very much information on these wonderful women so they put in short biography of their husbands. The book would've been much shorter without these.
Now I love the signers even more! What a delight it is to know their wives a bit more. Great people with love of country!
Julie
I have loved reading about the tremendous women of this era in time
Robin Isham
I enjoyed reading about some very amazing ladies.
Ismael Schonhorst
Ismael Schonhorst marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
James Kliewer
James Kliewer marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Sean MacKenzie
Sean MacKenzie marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Mary hight
Mary hight marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Rafaella
Rafaella marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Ryan Moore
Ryan Moore marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Zach Magon
Zach Magon marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
David Barton is the Founder and President of WallBuilders, a national pro-family organization that presents America's forgotten history and heroes, with an emphasis on our moral, religious and constitutional heritage.

WallBuilders is a name taken from the Old Testament writings of Nehemiah, who led a grassroots movement to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem and restore its strength and honor. In the sa...more
More about David Barton...
The Jefferson Lies: Exposing the Myths You've Always Believed about Thomas Jefferson Original Intent: The Courts, the Constitution, & Religion Setting the Record Straight: American History in Black & White Bulletproof George Washington: An Account of God's Providential Care Separation of Church & State: What the Founders Meant