Start by marking “A Distant Shore” as Want to Read:
A Distant Shore

A Distant Shore

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  339 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Dorothy is a retired schoolteacher who has recently moved to a housing estate in a small village. Solomon is a night-watchman, an immigrant from an unnamed country in Africa. Each is desperate for love. And yet each harbors secrets that may make attaining it impossible.
With breathtaking assurance and compassion, Caryl Phillips retraces the paths that lead Dorothy and Solom
Published December 18th 2007 by Vintage (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about A Distant Shore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Distant Shore

·Karen·
"England has changed. These days it's difficult to tell who's from round here and who's not. Who belongs and who's a stranger. It's disturbing. It doesn't feel right."

Dorothy, a retired schoolteacher. She sounds like a bigot. Especially when just two pages later she says she retired when the grammar school where she taught music went comprehensive. "I was suddenly asked to teach whoever came into the school-we all were. Difficult kids I don't mind, but I draw the line at yobs."

Oh but Dorothy, D
Nancy Oakes
This book was just simply stunning. The prose was superb, the stories tragic. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys finely-written literature. Many readers may not like the structure of this novel, nor the fact that the story is told in almost flashback like format; it took me a little while to figure out that time is not linear in the novel.

A brief synopsis:
Set in England, there are two main characters in this novel. One is Dorothy who is in her fifties, and has retired from teaching music
Kris McCracken
I’ve read a few of his books, and although he’s not the most refined of writers, one thing that Caryl Phillips can do is tell a story. This story is one of two people, both lonely and exist largely outside the mainstream of society. One is a retired teacher and the other an African refugee.

Stylistically, the book's sections jump between the perspectives of the two main characters, and the story is relayed in a non-linear, broken fashion, so the reader is often caught on the back foot in terms of
Heather
Read this for my Transnational Fiction grad seminar. I APPRECIATE this book, but did not enjoy reading it. It shifts narrative perspective and tense too many times for my beleaguered brain to handle (which, I get it, is commentary on dislocation and the transnational/migrant experience). I found the female protagonist to be insufferable, and while I don't think I need to like a character in order to care about her story, this was certainly the case with this novel.
 Croe
meh - I felt like the non-linear narration distracted from rather than enhanced the story. Had trouble sympathizing with either of the main characters - she's obnoxious and crazy and he's relatively passive while all kinds of bad things happen to him.
Tuck
about a retired black professor in england. unbelievable, quiet, smooth-river prose. this won so many awards its not funny. his new book of essays comes out in may 2011
Louise
What a pleasant surprise this book turned out to be.
Merilee
Really a 4.5/5
Emily
Ben Johnson

A Distant Shore is a cleverly written novel which tells the story of two people who, in all fairness, couldn't be any more different, but who finally find something in each other, after the awful trials and tribulations they have suffered throughout their lives. The author writes with deceptive simplicity; the prose is far from ornate, but its matter-of-fact manner is effective, and strikes a chord with the reader.

The novel is structured in a somewhat different fashion, beginning with what perha
William
This book tells the story of two people whose lives follow very different paths but ultimately intersect. One an African illegal immigrant to Britain and the other a middle class sheltered English divorcee. One decends into madness and the other losses their life, so its far from a happy fairy tale. But the author is a skilled story teller and the book is populated with believable characters of all sorts with many engaging subplots and background stories. I found the Africans story a bit more co ...more
Jeanne
In a small English village, Dorothy Jones lives next door to Solomon in a new development. Dorothy is a lonely, divorced retiree who is having some psychological problems. Solomon is the development’s watchman. He is an immigrant from an unnamed African country, and he volunteers to drive Dorothy to the doctor in town.

Told in a non-linear fashion, this is really two stories: how Dorothy and Solomon came to their present circumstances. And their individual stories are strikingly similar to two ot
Weebly
I found this book good to start but then it really lost it's way. The story started a little backwards, as it starts close to the present day telling you about the relationship between the two main characters, then went on later to give you a more in depth background to them.

Solomon had a really harrowing life, and was caught up in war in his home country in Africa, and experienced some really tough times in his life. It was amazing he turned out so nice!

The book really lost it's way, and I didn
Andrew
I thought this book was decent, it is told from two different perspectives a white school teacher and a black immigrant to the United Kingdom. However, I understand that Phillips was attempting to illustrate the struggle the African protagonist had in fleeing to UK from Africa. At the same time though, I thought the African man's story could have been written better.Overall though, I thought it was an interesting book, I don't know a lot about the UK race relations but this book does a good job ...more
Susanne
I thought this book was really thought provoking but not easy to read. There was some definite language, especially in the scenes involving war-ravaged Africa and an English Jail. I liked one quote in which she says to not look for God when you're in distress because he is busy helping you. I thought that made for an interesting thought. It was a case where of the two characters I ended up liking one and disliking the other but I thought initially my opinion would be reversed.
Carol Hu
I'm not sure about this book, maybe it is not designed for young people like me. The first part of the story was told in the tone of an old sick depressed woman and it drives me insane, the death of solomon doesn't mean anything to me. And the story of Gabriel also depresses me, I read all the way to P163 and I feel that I can't take this mental burden anymore, it's too deep and depressing for me. I really don't like it, it makes my mood worse everyday.
Zoey
This novel confronts complex emotions and prejudices through surprisingly simple language and prose. This juxtaposition combined with the erratic narrative style and a disjointed timeline makes it hard to put down. The relationship between Dorothy and Solomon encapsulates an awareness and a need for belonging, and will leave the reader questioning their own understanding of what it means to be at 'home'.
Stephanie
Did not enjoy how it hopped around but that could be because I was tired when I started reading it. However, I did read it in one evening as it was pretty good. I had just finished What is the What and Little Bee, so the fleeing refugee part of story was kind of repetitive for me. Good book though.
Laurie Neighbors
I was on fire with this book the whole time I was reading it, and also worrying that the author was painting himself into a corner. Pretty paint. Disappointing corner. I wished maybe he'd outsourced the ending to Zoe Heller. Or taskrabbited it?

Asta Nyyssönen
I was going to say that I had forgotten just how good contemporary realist fiction can be, but I'm not sure that I have ever read a piece of contemporary realist fiction quite this good.
Simon newson
well that cheered me up on a grey and rainy Christmas afternoon- not helped by realising where the asylum seekers story was going from the moment the narrative time switching started.
Shawna
Run... do not walk... to a bookstore and buy everything the man has ever written. He is the voice of the early 21st century.
Aliaa El-faham
Mar 07, 2014 Aliaa El-faham marked it as never-to-complete  ·  review of another edition
Sooooo horrible, i have wasted a good time in reading this and even got too many novals that are waiting for me
Elle
Interesting. Definitely compelling, but really disappointing. It's a contradicition in and of itself.
Dave
Simple but not predictable. Very compelling story.
Robert
3.5 - Stories about immigration...you know...
Linda
  • The Great World
  • The Men's Club
  • Frankie and Stankie
  • A Disaffection
Caryl Phillips was born in St.Kitts and came to Britain at the age of four months. He grew up in Leeds, and studied English Literature at Oxford University.

He began writing for the theatre and his plays include Strange Fruit (1980), Where There is Darkness (1982) and The Shelter (1983). He won the BBC Giles Cooper Award for Best Radio Play of the year with The Wasted Years (1984). He has written
More about Caryl Phillips...
Crossing the River Cambridge The Nature of Blood In the Falling Snow Dancing in the Dark