Start by marking “To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)” as Want to Read:
To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)

To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers #1)

3.77  ·  Rating Details ·  5,785 Ratings  ·  385 Reviews
EVEN THE MOST REFINED LADY

Lady Emeline Gordon is the model of sophistication in London's elite social circles, always fashionable and flawlessly appropriate. As such, she is the perfect chaperone for Rebecca, the young sister of a successful Boston businessman and former Colonial soldier.

CRAVES AN UNTAMED MAN

Samuel Hartley may be wealthy, but his manners are as uncivilized
Published May 1st 2008 by Forever

To ask other readers questions about To Taste Temptation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Taste Temptation

Duchess Nicole
“There are no heroes on the battlefield, my lady; there are only survivors.”

Let me say that I am a bit of a fangirl about anything Elizabeth Hoyt writes. I may be a bit biased. I think she is a master at sexual tension, so if you like a smooth, slow build up to a very enjoyable, lustfully delicious climax, GO HERE. That being said, Hoyt also writes such a fabulous STORY.

This is a Historical Romance with some meat on it's bones. It makes you think, it transports you with just a few words from s
Julie (jjmachshev)
I think we all enjoy reminiscing on fairy tales from our youth. The downtrodden heroine saved by what turns out to be a handsome prince. At least, those are the fairy tales of my youth before the era of political correctness. I even remember when either Cinderella or Snow White was re-released by Disney in the 80’s and women’s groups were encouraging mothers with daughters to boycott the film because it taught girls to “wait for a man to rescue them”. Uh… hello? IT’S A FAIRY TALE! Anyway, that’s ...more
Milica's Bookshelf
Prva knjiga serijala "Legenda o četiri vojnika" i moja prva knjiga od Elizabet Hojt. Nisam sigurna da li je reč o nepoverljivoj, aristokratskoj heroini ili vojnoj temi, ali zaista mi je trebalo dosta vremena da se povežem sa pričom. Ali u drugoj polovini knjige sve se lepo uklopilo za jedno veoma zadovoljavajuće čitanje. Nema sumnje da Elizabet Hojt odlično ide od ruke pisanje senzualnih, ali ipak romantičnih ljubavnih scena.
Fani
The beginning was a little slow but nice. However, from the moment they consummated their relationship, the heroine turned from prudish to shrewish. As the story moved on, I liked her less and less and in the end I couldn't understand why the hero fell in love with her. I think she needed to grovel a lot, if this was to be a 4 star book. Regretably, she didn't.
Mojca
To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers Series #1) Lady Emeline Gordon is astonished as a tall, devilishly handsome man strolls into a posh London parlor wearing a strange attire, and approaches her with the request for her to be his younger sister's sponsor in Society.

Of course, his sister's entrance in the aristocratic circles is merely pretense. Samuel Hartley is hell-bent on discovering the lowlife who had betrayed the English troupes six years ago, leading them to slaughter at the
Denise
Oct 01, 2011 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great start to what looks to be another great series by Hoyt. It seems to me that a lot of the first books in a series are truly gems in their own rights or awful because of all the building up for the rest of the series. This one was closer to the gem mark.
Unlike a lot of the other reviewers, I did not hate Emeline. She was exactly what she should have been for that time and place. Add to it her life events that she had faced, I could well understand why she could be such a cold bitch. Sam
Pamela(AllHoney)
The first in the Legend of the Four Soldiers series and my first book by Elizabeth Hoyt. I'm not sure why I avoided her. I saw her on many favorite lists and recommendations but I'd been "burnt" before, trying books that didn't appeal to me. But this one was a winner and keeper for me. This one has an "across the tracks" theme/plot to it. Beautiful young lady of the ton meets the rugged backwoodsman from the colonies. I loved the characters and the flow and will be continuously looking for more ...more
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
This is the first instalment of Elizabeth Hoyt's earlier series, The Legend of the Four Soldiers. I'm not sure whether it was the prickly, aristocratic heroine or the military theme but it took me quite a while to get into this story. But once our hero, Samuel and our heroine Emaline ventured into the bedroom, Elizabeth Hoyt weaved her magic and succinctly in the second half of the book all the pieces fell together for a very satisfying read. There is no doubt that writing a sensual but still ro ...more
Çisem
Mar 12, 2016 Çisem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emmie'nin tam bir salak olduğunu düşünsem de son anda da olsa çok şükür aklı başına geldiği için sevindim. Ne diyebilirim ki Elizabeth Hoyt işte kötü olma ihtimali var mı?
Daniella
Jul 18, 2015 Daniella rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, my. I can't believe I'm saying this, but To Taste Temptation was just extremely disappointing. It was almost excruciating in its slowness, and half the time I was just wondering if something even remotely interesting would happen soon. There were so many unnecessary scenes that, if cut from the story, would have made it slightly better. But noooooo, we had to hear about Emeline doing this, or Sam doing that, or Emeline's son saying whatnot.
description

I also had a few issues about the characters. Up to
Ƥʋиʏα [Punya Reviews...]
Lelyana
Oct 06, 2011 Lelyana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Janda, dan pendamping gadis2 debutant, Emeline mendapatkan tantangan baru dari Samuel , si pengusaha Amerikan mantan tentara saat perang dengan Indian untuk membawa Rebecca, adiknya ke dunia sosialita London.
Dari awal bertemu,Samuel sudah gak bisa melepaskan matanya dari janda seksi ini, hm, yang belakangan dia ketahui adalah tunangan temannya sendiri waktu di Amerka, Jasper, Lord Vale.
Dasar Amerika, muka tembok dan pantang menyerah, tetap aja Emeline di tempel seperti lintah.Sampai sewa rumah d
Maureen Feeney
Snobby Heroine.

Lady Emeline Gordon (an Earls daughter) is a widow, who teaches wealthy girls the rules of etiquette and propriety in London. When her American neighbour asks her to introduce his sister to London society she agrees.Moccasin wearing Samuel Hartley, raised in America's colonial wilderness is now a wealthy Boston businessman, arrives in London seeking the traitor who betrayed the 28th Regiment into massacre by the Indians at Spinner's Falls. One of the men killed was Captain Reynaud
Juliana Philippa
May 23, 2011 Juliana Philippa marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Admittedly did not get very far, but the heroine didn't appeal to me and with so many books out there to read, why waste time on one where I was pretty sure I wouldn't like one of the main characters? Ended up picking up Book 2 in the series instead ( To Seduce A Sinner ), which was unbelievably good and ranks as my favorite historical romance of all-time, so all worked out well for me in the end :-).

Am actually very pleased that I'm starting to be able to do this DNF thing, which used to litera
Mia Marlowe
Sep 09, 2008 Mia Marlowe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all romance readers
Elizabeth Hoyt's To Taste Temptation has caught me in her web. Her characters aren't the usual suspects. Her heroine is a titled English widow, her hero a colonial from Boston on the trail of the man who betrayed his regiment to the Wyandots and the French.

Ms. Hoyt has mastered the art of repressed passion. Her characters are so acutely aware of each other, even when they'd only shared one kiss, she had me squirming in my seat.
The love scenes are remarkable and her characters are so achingly hum
Zoe
Oct 23, 2015 Zoe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book that I like well enough but am not able to rate it better than 3 stars (and 3.5 stars if I am allowed the half star).

I saw that this book was first published in 2008? Even back then she was great at writing the intimate scenes. She could use very crude language but manages to not cheapen the act. Her sex scenes are always done tastefully with an animalistic flair, reducing the lead characters to their basest instincts and by doing that, elevating the relationship to an emotional lev
Andrea
Feb 26, 2016 Andrea rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've already read (and really enjoyed) the third book in this series (I don't remember why I started there), but I'm glad for it. Because if this had been the first book I'd read, I probably wouldn't have continued reading this series. There's nothing major wrong with the writing, just a bunch of personal deal-breakers all in one book.

(view spoiler)
Ruth
I really enjoyed this one, although it was more mixed than others I've read by this author.

The plot is a bit more routine than I expected - the repressed heroine, the hero and heroine falling in lust at first sight, lots of tea-drinking etc. And the climax of the plot really was pretty uninspired.

So why do I give this 4 stars?

Well, there are two reasons. No, make that three. No four. The first one is that I really loved the heroine. I've never read a historical romance before with a grumpy, crus
Dayatara
Aug 23, 2011 Dayatara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 2nd book I've read by Elizabeth Hoyt. I enjoyed Raven Prince very much and haven't been able to find the sequels in any book stores in my area, so I decided to start this series.

Emiline came off as very uppity and snotty. I didn't like her at all and that's what ruined the book for me. Because she was such a snob, I found myself imaginging her owning slaves when her and Samuel moved to America, and I imagined she'd treat them like crap. That has absolutely nothing to do with the stor
Elphaba J
Estrelas (3.5)
A guerra talha um homem da mesma forma que a elite molda uma mulher.
Retalhados por diferentes tipos de dor, que se une por um princípio comum, a morte, o nosso díspar casal de protagonistas irá ter pela frente a mais árdua das batalhas, a absolvição do seu coração.

O Sabor da Tentação é um delicioso romance histórico, repleto de pormenores de época e com duas personagens principais detalhadamente trabalhadas. Oferecendo um pouco de volúpia, assim como um mistério que se vai adensand
Nidofito
Jun 07, 2016 Nidofito rated it liked it
Rating: 2.5/5

I don't have much to say about the book except that it was rather flat and boring.

While I liked the fact that the story is built around the norms which one must follow if one is a aristrocrat, and the ridiculousness of it, it was droned on one too many times for me.

And while I realize that Emeline has a bit of a bite to her, she reminded me of those old female characters in HR who always nag, remark and judge people, but only younger. Miss Hoyt unfortunately was not able to showcase
Carolyn F.
Another great book by Elizabeth Hoyt. I've read these out of order - #2, #3 then #1. Even with me knowing of the next chapter in these people's lives, the stories are still really good and very interesting. I love both Emeline and Samuel - although I do wish their coming together wouldn't have been until the last 3 pages. I knew it was going to happen, but it was just so frustrating seeing the pain she kept heaping on Samuel. Different times, different views I guess. Would recommend this series. ...more
Ilze
Jun 20, 2011 Ilze rated it really liked it
Shelves: elizabeth-hoyt
Really liked both the hero and heroine, and the love scenes are absolutely scorching. Great dialogue and excellent characterization of all the main characters in the book. For the first half of the book the attraction between the H/h didn't *feel* very strong to me, but after the first love scene that was not a difficulty any more ;-) Also glad to have read this one because it gives a lot of background for the other 3 books in this series, which I'm reading next (can't wait for Munroe's story).
Noura
Apr 15, 2015 Noura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First historical romance i've read that describes the debilitating effect of PTSD - in this case the ex-soldiers who are also the hero of the series. They went through a traumatic situation during the English-French war in the Colonies aka America and has come back haunted by the terrible experience.

In this book we are introduced to one of the ex-soldiers that survived, a successful, self-made American businessman by the name of Samuel Hartley who has come to London with his younger sister Rebec
~Megan~
May 22, 2011 ~Megan~ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is really 3.5 stars from me. I loved Samuel and Rebecca, the Colonial brother and sister so out of place among the ton, but I really strongly disliked Emeline, the heroine of this novel. She was so prickly and cold, I don't know how Sam fell in love with her. I wish we could've seen more about Rebecca and O'Hare! I liked the fairy tale inside the story....can't wait for Jasper's tale!
Anna D.
May 01, 2015 Anna D. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hr
I found the characters very unlikable, with the exception of Little Daniel and Lord Vale.

Full review:

I like this author and I wish I could say that the reason I didn’t like this book was because it simply clashed with my own personal preference but I don’t believe that is the case. Before I tell you what turned me off about this book, I will say that the writing was good. Anyway, here’s what I thought – there might be spoilers and it’s probably a little too harsh, but that is the mood
Kyraryker
Why is it that when someone is rich it's always "as rich as Croesus"? Shameful how Midas is ignored I tell you. Excuse me just 10 pages later Samuel is richer than King Midas.

Only on the third or so page and Emeline shows such promise by these two lines "She suppressed a shiver. Intelligent men were so hard to manage." hahaha!

Emeline struck me as very cold at first, but just average English lady mannerisms? I think Emeline is too accurate of a portrayal of an English woman for me. She is so res
Makenzie
I listened to this book and really enjoyed it, though I will admit that initially, I was a bit confused with the fairy tale being told at the beginning of each chapter. It just took me a bit to catch on since I was listening to the book and couldn't see what Hoyt was doing.

I understand how some people had issues with Emeline, and while she did annoy me at times, I can't fault her for being a product of her times. How could she agree to marry a man who has rank and money when she was in love with
Keri
Another solid entry from Ms. Hoyt. This is the first of four books about 4 soldiers and each of their stories. They each take different paths and they also end up dealing with the aftermath of the war.

Our first story is about Samuel. His journey takes him to England. He ended up being a go between shipper of items for the Americas. In this case, he has come to England to talk to Mr. Wedgwood about possibly shipping some pottery to the Americas.

But he also has come to England to find out who wa
  • One Wicked Sin (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #2)
  • Don't Tempt Me (Fallen Women, #2)
  • Trial by Desire (Carhart, #2)
  • Three Nights with a Scoundrel (Stud Club, #3)
  • Surrender to the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #3)
  • His Every Kiss (Guilty, #2)
  • Private Arrangements
  • Ruthless (The House of Rohan, #1)
  • Always a Scoundrel (Notorious Gentlemen, #3)
  • The Perfect Stranger (The Merridew Sisters, #3)
  • Tempted At Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #4)
  • The Duke of Shadows
  • The Spymaster's Lady (Spymasters, #1)
  • To Love a Thief
Elizabeth Hoyt is a New York Times bestselling author of historical romance. She also writes deliciously fun contemporary romance under the name Julia Harper. Elizabeth lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota with three untrained dogs and one long-suffering husband.
More about Elizabeth Hoyt...

Legend of the Four Soldiers (4 books)
  • To Seduce a Sinner (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #2)
  • To Beguile a Beast (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #3)
  • To Desire a Devil (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #4)

“There are no heroes on the battlefield, my lady; there are only survivors.” 31 likes
“Rebecca held her head high and swanned across the hallway, but as she neared the footman, she could see quite plainly that his gaze was not where it should be. She stopped dead and slapped her hands over her bosom.

"Its too low, isn't it? I knew I shouldn't have listened to that maid. She might not mind her boobies hanging out for all to see, but i just can't-" Her brain suddenly caught up with her mouth. She removed her hands from her bosom and slapped them over her awful, awful, awful mouth.”
6 likes